Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Slavvy posted:

Where did you get that idea?

An example I'm intimately familiar with: the kia rio 1.4 petrol is rated at 5L/100km, 6.3 if it's an auto. The 1.4 diesel is rated at 3.6L/100km and I can tell you from first-hand experience is much, much faster and less gutless in general. It also has transmission ratios specifically chosen to game the efficiency tests (120km/h in second, in an auto 1.4L) which makes it terrifyingly slow and thirsty in the real world. Link.

I don't doubt that the petrol Kia (especially with that auto) is a bad car, but that doesn't make the diesel a good one.

Slavvy posted:

I've also found that small displacement turbo engines tend to be a lot less economical IRL than they are on paper. CRDI engines are insanely grunty and fun to drive; I found the 123D much, much more entertaining than all the other variants but the 135i. Being able to casually power drift the car at 3,500rpm is fun, especially when you aren't just dumping money out the exhaust and setting it on fire every time you floor it. The warmest 3 series you're referring to has over 300hp and 600nm, I don't see the problem :shrug:

I meant Mazda 3 not the 3-series. While the BMW diesel are pretty good as far as diesels go they still have lumpy, awkward power delivery that just kills any 'ultimate driving machine' appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

dissss posted:

While the BMW diesel are pretty good as far as diesels go they still have lumpy, awkward power delivery that just kills any 'ultimate driving machine' appeal.
Drive one with a proper tune. :v:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Diesel is nearly a buck a gallon more than gas right now which pretty much kills all the economy savings.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The range is the really nice part of a diesel. Phoenix to LA and most of the way back on one tank.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Saga posted:

I had a rental 1.6 tdi insignia a couple years ago. 55mpg on paper, 33mpg reality.

OTOH this goes for petrol engines as well. E.g. the Ford Focus EcoBoost 1.0 100hp, 59mpg UK on paper, 39 in real life (extra-urban). The NEDC test is ridiculous and close to useless.

Timmy Cruise
Jun 9, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

OTOH this goes for petrol engines as well. E.g. the Ford Focus EcoBoost 1.0 100hp, 59mpg UK on paper, 39 in real life (extra-urban). The NEDC test is ridiculous and close to useless.

Canada changed the test procedure to a new one that gives numbers more in line with reality. On my Mazda2 the old combined was 6.7, now it's 7.4 (l/100km). Last tank I hit 7.3.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Diesel is nearly a buck a gallon more than gas right now which pretty much kills all the economy savings.

Diesel and gas are the same price where I am right now.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Diesel is consistently 15-20 cents more per gallon than premium at the station I fill at. I've been DD'ing a 2000 Golf TDI since 2009, 16k miles tracked with average at 48.9 mpg. I honestly can't see why more people aren't driving diesels unless they have a super short commute or can't take the extra initial price. I can't say it's seen more maintenance than any of the gas burners but it continues to run well and serve it's purpose as a efficient, cheap daily driver.

Is it exciting...no way in hell but with the money I save commuting in it I can take fun cars out on the weekend. The fun cars burn gasoline because it is the superior fuel for fun :colbert:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

N is for Nipples posted:

Diesel and gas are the same price where I am right now.

Diesel's a bit below 93 octane (which is 20-25 cents more than "regular" 87) here in Ohio, but it's a lot less likely to fluctuate. When gas dropped under two bucks for a short time diesel was still well in to the two range.

I figure at least in the US it's a matter of market elasticity. Since aside from a small selection of German cars most of our diesels are at least intended as work vehicles their drivers are less likely to be able to cut back on use when prices go up. The fuel companies have an incentive to prioritize cheap gas over cheap diesel.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I ran the numbers pretty carefully before buying my golf tdi. I factored $3 gas at 30 mpg, $4 diesel at 40 mpg, and a 40 mile commute.

I think it came out to about 20% cheaper per year to fuel the diesel, meaning the TDI trim level would pay for itself in about 2 years.

It's worth it if you have a long commute. It's not if you don't.

Edit: Also I was giving gas an advantage at 30mpg. And yes I avg better than 40mpg in reality with the diesel.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 9, 2015

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

Sweet pants making GBS threads Jesus!

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

Honestly, a little glad that it killed a Prius.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I bought a diesel BMW. Still driving it 83,000 miles later. The engine hasn't blown up. It's saved me half the purchase price in fuel over the past five years compared to the equivalent petrol. I'm buying a petrol next probably because fun, but I'm glad I didn't buy one five years ago. Horses for courses etc.

Pictured: A troubled bridge over water.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Is that the 3 cylinder turbo or a 1.0 I4? You can option up a Fiesta with the former mated to a 5 speed manual here in the US for an EPA estimated 43/31 MPG, so yeah - that figure does seem grossly optimistic in a larger/heavier car...

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Geoj posted:

Is that the 3 cylinder turbo or a 1.0 I4? You can option up a Fiesta with the former mated to a 5 speed manual here in the US for an EPA estimated 43/31 MPG, so yeah - that figure does seem grossly optimistic in a larger/heavier car...

A US gallon is different than a UK gallon - that might account for a good deal of the difference in mileage estimates.

US gallon = 3.785 liters
UK gallon = 4.546 litres

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

There is no reason for diesel engines less than 6 liters to exist. if you can't put a 6+ liter diesel in your car, stick with a turbo gas engine.

or a small V8. just put V8s in everything.

I beg to differ. gently caress V8s. They are consistently the largest displacement engines that underperform

NitroSpazzz posted:

Diesel is consistently 15-20 cents more per gallon than premium at the station I fill at. I've been DD'ing a 2000 Golf TDI since 2009, 16k miles tracked with average at 48.9 mpg. I honestly can't see why more people aren't driving diesels unless they have a super short commute or can't take the extra initial price. I can't say it's seen more maintenance than any of the gas burners but it continues to run well and serve it's purpose as a efficient, cheap daily driver.

Is it exciting...no way in hell but with the money I save commuting in it I can take fun cars out on the weekend. The fun cars burn gasoline because it is the superior fuel for fun :colbert:

That's because of diesel road tax being higher than gas.

bull3964 posted:

No, it actually doesn't. I get people asking about this a lot, and I still tend to spend less on diesel despite its higher prices due to its better efficiency.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 10, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

I beg to differ. gently caress V8s. They are consistently the largest displacement engines that underperform

Hah, That's a sad, sad little box you've built yourself into

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

smax posted:

A US gallon is different than a UK gallon - that might account for a good deal of the difference in mileage estimates.

US gallon = 3.785 liters
UK gallon = 4.546 litres

Damnit, dude, quit telling everyone our secret to superior fuel economy.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Not a lot of pictures in this pictures thread

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Hah, That's a sad, sad little box you've built yourself into

Sorry I don't copy->paste your view on engines. Not everyone is a V8 fanatic, and not everyone has to like a V8 powered vehicle. :shrug:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Hey shitlords you already have a thread dedicated for making GBS threads in, go poo poo there and post pictures of fuckawful mechanical failures here.

Intake valve seat failure.

rainwulf
Jan 22, 2004
I must post less.

KozmoNaut posted:

I used to be a massive diesel fan, but I've realized that unless you have a 30+ km commute each way, you'll kill a modern diesel engine prematurely. They're so slow to heat up that you basically never get them properly warm on short trips, which is absolute murder on everything.

And while they're cold, you get worse mileage. Even with diesel cheaper than gas like it is here, you have to be doing like 30K km a year to justify it.

We have both a 3.0 TDI Jackaroo, and my hyundai tib, and when the wife goes "im just going to take the fourby to the shops" im like "take the tiburon, its simply not worth firing up the diesel for a 5 minute drive"

Its also the infamous 4JX1, which has enough problems as it is without short stop start driving for a 5 minute trip.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

"Well yeah i guess they are a bit lovely looking, but theyre not even cracked or anything whats wrong with thi....oh....ooooh!"

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

He had to Compromise.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yowch

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Bucephalus posted:

He had to Compromise.

:golfclap:

No pictures, but I saw a woman driving a BMW 750, with a front driver side tire completely uninflated, smoking, and bouncing, on the highway, doing 35, in a light rain. She's probably stuck on the side of the road as I type this out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Over the weekend I saw an individual driving a minivan on a spare tire. They'd been using it long enough that the rim was rusting and the tread was visibly worn.

Back of the vehicle was stuffed with kids.

It does give me hope that if I'm ever stranded somewhere with a stack of space savers I should be able to claw my way back to civilization.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
I've driven about 15 miles on a flat spacesaver before. It's not ideal, obviously destroyed the spare. But it got me to a tire shop where I could get my tire repaired.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
As I waited at a roundabout, a large black Range Rover with added bling pulled up alongside me.

It had a weeny spacesaver that didn;t look big enough to hold the weight of the car at standstill, let along moving.

Sure enough, as I predicted, he floored it round the corner and straight up to 77mph.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

spog posted:

As I waited at a roundabout, a large black Range Rover with added bling pulled up alongside me.

It had a weeny spacesaver that didn;t look big enough to hold the weight of the car at standstill, let along moving.

Sure enough, as I predicted, he floored it round the corner and straight up to 77mph.

I've seen three different Mustang GTs (two were only a few years old at the most, and the third was only a few months ago, with temp tags still on it,) with a space saver on a rear wheel nail it from a light and light up the doughnut.

The only time I've put a doughnut on a drive axle with a limited-slip, the noises that began coming from the rear end after only a few miles caused me to immediately stop what I was doing (going to work,) and nurse it to a tire shop to have the full-size repaired. And then I changed the gear lube/diff additive for good measure.

Normal people amaze me with their mistreatment of machines. :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MrYenko posted:

I've seen three different Mustang GTs (two were only a few years old at the most, and the third was only a few months ago, with temp tags still on it,) with a space saver on a rear wheel nail it from a light and light up the doughnut.

The only time I've put a doughnut on a drive axle with a limited-slip, the noises that began coming from the rear end after only a few miles caused me to immediately stop what I was doing (going to work,) and nurse it to a tire shop to have the full-size repaired. And then I changed the gear lube/diff additive for good measure.

Does anyone else get the impression that the reliability of a car is inversely proportionate to how knowledgeable the owner is? I see old e36's and e34's, old mercs, all sorts of unreliable, finicky cars limping around, utterly destroyed, driven by people who don't give a gently caress and don't know what the gently caress, and somehow they just go and go and go. Yet when I buy a purportedly 'reliable' car it ends up having nothing but problems, like it knows I'm a mechanic.

The three most unreliable cars I've owned were two corollas and a starlet. I know I don't live in a parallel universe because everyone around me can rack up 300,000km+ on an old Toyota like it ain't no thang.

Most reliable car I've owned (prior to the current one)? BMW e23 7 series.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

About 3 years ago, I blew the front right tire on my GTI in a parking garage in Philadelphia, 100 miles away from home in North Jersey. I put on the donut, hit the Turnpike, and did 50 the whole way in the right lane. I was completely terrified that if I went 60 the tire would explode and send my car fireballing into the retaining wall, but these stories of donuts surviving intolerable abuse give me a little more faith in their engineering.

I got incredible mileage, by the way, like 50 mpg.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Slavvy posted:

Does anyone else get the impression that the reliability of a car is inversely proportionate to how knowledgeable the owner is? I see old e36's and e34's, old mercs, all sorts of unreliable, finicky cars limping around, utterly destroyed, driven by people who don't give a gently caress and don't know what the gently caress, and somehow they just go and go and go. Yet when I buy a purportedly 'reliable' car it ends up having nothing but problems, like it knows I'm a mechanic.

The three most unreliable cars I've owned were two corollas and a starlet. I know I don't live in a parallel universe because everyone around me can rack up 300,000km+ on an old Toyota like it ain't no thang.

Most reliable car I've owned (prior to the current one)? BMW e23 7 series.

I was thinking about this recently, and I think it's a combination of things. For one thing, we actually fix things when they break, whereas others might just leave them broken. This leads to the feeling that you're always fixing your car and no-one else has to, so therefore theirs must be more reliable, right? Nah, they just don't give a poo poo; theirs broke the same time as yours, but theirs stayed broken and so they "didn't have to fix it." Another aspect would be performance modification, you throw a cam and springs to make 75% more horsepower at 200k miles, well, poo poo's gonna break in short order. Or you put stiffer bushings and shorter springs in, and rattle some stuff loose that otherwise would last much longer. Plus, I think that we drive them a bit harder. How many people have acted like taking the tach above 3k RPM is an immediate death sentence? Sure, non-car-people drive fast and drive carelessly, which is ultimately much more damaging, but usually there's not as much WOT involved I don't think. Ricers / idiot kids excluded.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I've been lucky. I have never actually had to use my spare other than 1 time when I had an unrepairable flat and they had to order a new tire. Every time I have had a puncture, I was able to still drive to get it repaired.

Now, saying this, I'm going to get a flat on the way home.

The new 16 R doesn't even come with a spare because there's no room due to the haldex. Gogo AAA.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

chutwig posted:

About 3 years ago, I blew the front right tire on my GTI in a parking garage in Philadelphia, 100 miles away from home in North Jersey. I put on the donut, hit the Turnpike, and did 50 the whole way in the right lane. I was completely terrified that if I went 60 the tire would explode and send my car fireballing into the retaining wall, but these stories of donuts surviving intolerable abuse give me a little more faith in their engineering.

I got incredible mileage, by the way, like 50 mpg.

I have done triple digit speeds on 3 dry rotted (so dry rotted you could see the cords at the bottoms of the splits around the tread lugs in some spots) 235/75R15 Firestone Wilderness ATs before.

... that tire size and name may sound familiar.

No issues, no failures. I don't think I even had them balanced at any point in my ownership of those tires. I got them from the street corner near my house, where they had a FREE sign on them, intending to use them as burnout tires and then they worked well offroad and rode nicely on the highway so they stayed.

Of course, I did this *after* I'd experienced a steer tire blowout at 80 without a single bit of drama or loss of control the previous year, so I wasn't afraid of handling a blowout anymore.

I only found out they were likely used takeoffs from a rollover-era Ford Explorer afterwards - I slashed a sidewall offroad, went looking for two matched replacements online so I could get a full matched set, and found the recall instead. Decided to play it safe and retired them.

Was it dumb? Hell yes it was. But a lot of people don't realize just how much of a safety factor is built into stuff like tires.

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

Raluek posted:

I was thinking about this recently, and I think it's a combination of things. For one thing, we actually fix things when they break, whereas others might just leave them broken.

I make a fun game out of counting how many CELs are lit up on cars my bus passes in the Lincoln Tunnel on the way in and out of the city each day (it's a lot). Expensive car, cheap car, doesn't matter, most people just don't get their cars fixed until well after the point where a cheap problem has become an expensive problem.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

chutwig posted:

Expensive car, cheap car, doesn't matter, most people just don't get their cars fixed until well after the point where a cheap problem has become an expensive problem.

Yeah I think this is the most important bit. What made me think of it was my parents. Seems like every time I visit, I'll notice something like "hey, your belt squeals a bit at startup, you should look at the belt and tensioner" and they look at me like I'm crazy because it's not broken yet. When my dad gave me his truck, I had to do a bunch to it. Brakes, an oozing axle seal, bushings, tires, clutch hydraulics, steering rebuild... it's not that it suddenly started having problems as soon as the title had my name on it instead of his, it's just that I noticed them and decided to fix them instead of continuing to drive it like he would have for who knows how long.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Same phenomenon of going home for Christmas and being greeted with "Oh yeah, we had a power outage in March, would you mind fixing all the clocks that are blinking 12:00?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

MrYenko posted:

I annoy the poo poo out of my girlfriend with my "Why the gently caress is the space-saver on the driving axle" tirades.

What I've been noticing a lot lately are the leftovers from some dipshit driving on a low profile tire flat or mostly flat until the tread portion of the tire basically gets cut loose from it's sidewalls. Just drive along the highways and ramps and you'll eventually come across a sad, lonely tread abandoned by it's sidewall parents.