Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Orv posted:

They generally talk about games they like over three or four different Bombcasts, but they're usually more open about them on there. The question is do you agree with the guy who is bad at games, the guy who hates all games, the guy who just likes sims, or the guy who has terrible opinions for everything? :v:
Rip Vinny. He was too perfect for this (gaming journalism) world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
What happened to Vinny? Did he die, too?

Airfoil posted:

I give them a ton of credit for hiring an actor to play a ridiculous character rather than an actual editor. Impressively subversive commentary on the state of game journalism, really.
Who's this? What?

I had no idea I was so out of the loop.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Drifter posted:

What happened to Vinny? Did he die, too?

Who's this? What?

I had no idea I was so out of the loop.

Vinny went back to New York and is now doomed to an eternity of Castlevania 2.

Also Dan Ryckert is the man with bad opinions and worse drinking habits.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Vinny lives in New York and runs the East coast content with Alex. He's perfectly fine, I think people just want him on the bombcast for Witcher talk. Would have been nice to hear him talk about Bloodborne on the bombcast as well.

Also Dan Ryckert is a national treasure

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Manatee Cannon posted:

Vinny lives in New York and runs the East coast content with Alex. He's perfectly fine, I think people just want him on the bombcast for Witcher talk. Would have been nice to hear him talk about Bloodborne on the bombcast as well.

Also Dan Ryckert is a national treasure

There will be a GBEast podcast. They've said as much that'll it happen.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

There will be a GBEast podcast. They've said as much that'll it happen.
But has Vinny had the time to finish learning Polish and read all the other books before doing the preview? :ohdear:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Airfoil posted:

GB barely does reviews anymore. Like everyone else, they're moving to a world of "here, click on this video of us playing the game for 45 mins."
They kind of pioneered that sort of thing, though. Totalbiscuit, Super Best Friends, and I'm sure others have directly stated they've been influenced by GB's methods.

Orv posted:

Vinny went back to New York and is now doomed to an eternity of Castlevania 2.

Also Dan Ryckert is the man with bad opinions and worse drinking habits.
Dan Ryckert and the other new hire, Jason A-STRIKER are golden gods, Dan comes up with fantastic/stupid ideas and makes them reality. For the Big Live Live Show Live week before last, Jason wired up a pair of boxing gloves to the A and B buttons on an NES controller, and a DDR mat to the directional pad. Dan then donned his all-american getup, and played Punch Out with the A and B boxing gloves while doing footsies on the DDR pad. The way he would hit the A and B buttons in the boxing gloves was by punching former Harmonix guy John T. Drake in the face repeatedly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9d1_8M0uA4

Dan nor Jason can and never will be Ryan. Nobody can be Ryan. But they're fantastic additions, I just wish Vinny was still with the main crew, but him and Alex have put out some awesome content as of late. I really hope Vinny and Alex do the QL for Witcher 3.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Alex has a bad podcast voice and takes 3x as long to say what he thinks as everyone else .
vinny should come back though. hes cool.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Review embargoes were mentioned a couple pages ago but only mentioned the morning in the Pacific time zone tomorrow. That time is 7AM according to Gamespot.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

They kind of pioneered that sort of thing, though. Totalbiscuit, Super Best Friends, and I'm sure others have directly stated they've been influenced by GB's methods.

Dan Ryckert and the other new hire, Jason A-STRIKER are golden gods, Dan comes up with fantastic/stupid ideas and makes them reality. For the Big Live Live Show Live week before last, Jason wired up a pair of boxing gloves to the A and B buttons on an NES controller, and a DDR mat to the directional pad. Dan then donned his all-american getup, and played Punch Out with the A and B boxing gloves while doing footsies on the DDR pad. The way he would hit the A and B buttons in the boxing gloves was by punching former Harmonix guy John T. Drake in the face repeatedly.

That was the best part of BLLS!L aside from the nacho cheese tasting, hands down. I do absolutely like Dan and Jason but some of the gaps in Dan's existence as a human being in the 21st century are super puzzling.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I can't believe Wild Hunt is only 27 GB. Seems awfully small for a big, modern, open world game.

It's not a bad thing. just suprising. Thought it would have been 40+ GB like most games nowadays.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Broose posted:

I can't believe Wild Hunt is only 27 GB. Seems awfully small for a big, modern, open world game.

Skyrim was 6 GB at launch.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Broose posted:

It's not a bad thing. just suprising. Thought it would have been 40+ GB like most games nowadays.

Games are actually still not above 30GB on the super high end. Recently games just haven't been compressed at all, for various reasons, so we got the last year of 40-60GB games.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
GTA V was 65GB, thank god it isn't that big!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
steam page says 40gb so we might have another 14gb to download unless its super compressed. (it probably is)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Orv posted:

Games are actually still not above 30GB on the super high end. Recently games just haven't been compressed at all, for various reasons, so we got the last year of 40-60GB games.

That has been happening so often lately that it's easy to forget games probably shouldn't be 50+ gigs all the time.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Max Payne 3 was among the worst offenders. 35Gb, 8 of which were poorly compressed unskippable pre-rendered cutscenes that could have mostly been handled in real-time. At least GTAV doesn't have any of those so it's theoretically 65Gb of gameplay. From my time with it that's pretty much the case.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Manatee Cannon posted:

That has been happening so often lately that it's easy to forget games probably shouldn't be 50+ gigs all the time.

Didn't Titanfall have uncompressed audio about the size of The Witcher 3? It was like 20+ gigs.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cheston posted:

Didn't Titanfall have uncompressed audio about the size of The Witcher 3? It was like 20+ gigs.

45GB of uncompressed audio, 5GB of game. :science:

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Does the Galaxy client let you backup the installers? If not I'll just use the site download so I can dump it on my fileserver

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Jesus Christ, uncompressed things are usually only noticeable by the spergiest spergs and the rest of us can benefit from our 20Gb back. Take a look at the Shadow of Mordor comparisons between the uncompressed DLC and the default highest. There's next to no difference. At least that game made that stupid poo poo optional for idiots.

All I can think of is that hilarious Tumblr that links/quotes reviews of audiophile products. "wathifi" or something like that.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

dud root posted:

Does the Galaxy client let you backup the installers? If not I'll just use the site download so I can dump it on my fileserver

Not from what I can see, it moves it to its installation directory after download. You could try using the GOG Downloader instead and move it where ever you want it until you're ready to install.

Airfoil
Sep 10, 2013

I'm a rocket man

Drifter posted:

Who's this? What?

"Dan Ryckert". I refuse to believe he's an actual person.

Anyway, I like GB just fine but they're not who I go to for RPG reviews.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
GB are bros I love to watch play games and hang out and listen to them talk about games. I never take their word as law and it's mostly like being back in college hearing someone say the term, "Dude this game is dope!" Taking Giant Bomb seriously is incorrect.

I highly enjoy the special star child that is Dan Ryckert and I (am apparently in the minority that) enjoyed Patrick Klepick. His articles were well written but again, if you're taking Giant Bomb seriously, you're taking it too seriously. It's weird that he moved on to Kotaku though, the site that brought you such quality as, "Even though we were both cheating on each other him letting my non-hardcore character die in Diablo III was what ended our marriage!" but in a way it's kind of fitting I guess.

Lava Lamp Goddess
Feb 19, 2007

I just wanna watch Vinny play and enjoy the game. His exuberance for things he loves is my favorite. I sent him some translated Witcher short stories a few years ago, got me mentioned on the Bombcast. :3:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I can't imagine anyone else will do the quick look for the game.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I started reading the books in the original italian because of Vinny.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Vinny loves open world games because he literally always picks the worst/dumbest things to do because gently caress you it's an open world let's see how dumb we can get, Dan and Jeff could be fun on it but this is totally a Vinny quick look yea.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The neverending saga of slaughter that was the Sleepy Dogs coverage would be so good for Witcher.

Eddain
May 6, 2007
Will the PC version have a default controller configuration if you want to use one? Like, can it automatically detect my 360 gamepad and change all the key bindings as though I were playing the console version?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Orv posted:

The neverending saga of slaughter that was the Sleepy Dogs coverage would be so good for Witcher.

Vinny will get a horse stuck in a fountain and we'll come full circle.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Eddain posted:

Will the PC version have a default controller configuration if you want to use one? Like, can it automatically detect my 360 gamepad and change all the key bindings as though I were playing the console version?

Considering like every major video game release in the past five years has done this, yes.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Eddain posted:

Yes, it's also seamless. So like if you're playing on the gamepad but want to roll on keyboard and mouse instead for a little bit, it'll work without having to enter options and update button prompts and vice versa.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Any time I come to an important decision I'll ask myself: what would Vinny do? Then I'll tie the person I'm talking to to my horse and ride it into a river.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Yes, it's also seamless. So like if you're playing on the gamepad but want to roll on keyboard and mouse instead for a little bit, it'll work without having to enter options and update button prompts and vice versa.

The first game I remember doing this was Just Cause 2. If bottom prompts were on the screen they would fade away and be replaced by the ones for your controller. It's too bad drivers don't include button pictures that games can get them from, instead of putting BUTTON 1 when it's not a 360 controller.

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

Any time I come to an important decision I'll ask myself: what would Vinny do? Then I'll tie the person I'm talking to to my horse and ride it into a river.
If you're extra lucky the horse then flies into the sky and the game crashes.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Yaos posted:

The first game I remember doing this was Just Cause 2. If bottom prompts were on the screen they would fade away and be replaced by the ones for your controller. It's too bad drivers don't include button pictures that games can get them from, instead of putting BUTTON 1 when it's not a 360 controller.

QTE time! X! No wait poo poo, I meant square, gently caress!

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It shouldn't even be a question that this is supported, but just look at Dragon Age: Inquisition. What's that? Your controller temporarily dropped out? Well the mouse and keyboard aren't going to work since you booted up with the controller setting enabled, and reconnecting the controller won't work since it has to be registered on bootup to work. Ughh.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Holy gently caress me, fighting 6 celandine (or whatever) harpies plus a harpy queen is pretty loving tough. I'm getting murdered. I have +15 armor and gently caress tons of potions and this loving game still murders me in three hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Drifter posted:

Holy gently caress me, fighting 6 celandine (or whatever) harpies plus a harpy queen is pretty loving tough. I'm getting murdered. I have +15 armor and gently caress tons of potions and this loving game still murders me in three hits.
Yup. I wanted to play through once on Iorveth's Act 2 but I keep getting frustrated because I am not in :tryhard: mode and the game is very unforgiving. I wanted to have a save where I spared Aryan, spared Stennis, saved Saskia, let Letho live, and had the tattoo, but, effort.

• Locked thread