Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
self sniping cars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

self sniping cars

boom headshot

ufarn
May 30, 2009
nice graphics on that videogame

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

the google cars have an accident per mile rate approximately 10 times that of the national average.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

duTrieux. posted:

the google cars have an accident per mile rate approximately 10 times that of the national average.

mad max: fully-automated road :black101:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

lol, the logo urine incident as well as excalating spam has forced google to close their map maker tool to the public.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I'd rather be hit by a car owned by a third of a trillion dollar company than by some uninsured jackass

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
I've wrecked a few cars

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

duTrieux. posted:

lol, the logo urine incident as well as excalating spam has forced google to close their map maker tool to the public.

good

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Smythe posted:

I've wrecked a few cars

maybe if you got a nexus 6, you could see the gps directions without having to squint at it.

because it's huge, you see

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

duTrieux. posted:

do they still not actually have active detection and rely on essentially a really detailed google map to navigate

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I see them driving around mountain view all the time. they drive poorly. yesterday I saw one trying to make a left turn out of a straight-only lane

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

computer parts posted:

do they still not actually have active detection and rely on essentially a really detailed google map to navigate

it's google, what do you think

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

The Management posted:

I see them driving around mountain view all the time. they drive poorly. yesterday I saw one trying to make a left turn out of a straight-only lane

lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
also they're equipped with sharp sensor pods to gore pedestrians

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

also they're equipped with sharp sensor pods to gore pedestrians

shaggar's kind of car!

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
they might also shoot off into the spokes of nearby bicycles

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Management posted:

look out here comes my glitch lol

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

duTrieux. posted:

the what now?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Virion posted:

look out here comes my glitch lol

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
knowing Google if their car crashes j to you it will keep running you over and backing up and then afterwards when you try to sue Google they will delete your gmail account

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

lmbo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

The Management posted:

same

tho y'all should know that they drive like grandmas b/c that's what a computer thinks is the safest way to drive

shockingly humans like to go fast regardless of relative danger

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

same

tho y'all should know that they drive like grandmas b/c that's what a sperger thinks is the safest way to drive

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

same

tho y'all should know that they drive like grandmas b/c that's what a computer thinks is the safest way to drive

is it true? I mean speed deltas are bad but otherwise

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

The Management posted:

i bet it had a turn signal on which already puts it ahead of a sizeable percentage of human drivers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

hobbesmaster posted:

is it true? I mean speed deltas are bad but otherwise

yea and that kinda holds up since most of your travel time is spent waiting at signals (unless you're traveling like 45 miles or more)

tho it turns out that i know the project director or w/e so i've got lotsa questions for him when we're both not out drinkin around our respective ladies

he offered me a ride and a tour and stuff so i'm sure that i'll get to ask him lotsa uncomfortable questions then like how they brute-forced mapping and how they hope to deal w/ construction sites and whatnot

he was mostly p happy that i was enthused about the whole thing and that i even knew what the original DARPA challenge was for it

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

yea and that kinda holds up since most of your travel time is spent waiting at signals (unless you're traveling like 45 miles or more)

tho it turns out that i know the project director or w/e so i've got lotsa questions for him when we're both not out drinkin around our respective ladies

he offered me a ride and a tour and stuff so i'm sure that i'll get to ask him lotsa uncomfortable questions then like how they brute-forced mapping and how they hope to deal w/ construction sites and whatnot

he was mostly p happy that i was enthused about the whole thing and that i even knew what the original DARPA challenge was for it

What kind of intersections become possible if you remove human drivers entirely? Is it within the realm of possibility that stop lights would go away and robotic cars could just open intervals between themselves large enough for opposing streams of traffic to weave between one another?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Stringent posted:

What kind of intersections become possible if you remove human drivers entirely? Is it within the realm of possibility that stop lights would go away and robotic cars could just open intervals between themselves large enough for opposing streams of traffic to weave between one another?

what we currently know about automated driving cars and how they improve upon human drivers (other than crash fatalities) is that you can have far far greater traffic density on a roadway

they can basically all tailgate eachother even thru turns and stuff and require narrower lanes

you even start seeing an improvement at around 33% driverless iirc which is part of why having 18-wheelers all automated is a p big deal

intersections would probably operate p similarly if all of the vehicles were automated, just more efficiently since you wouldn't need an all-red phase or probably even a yellow phase and can ignore things like decision-reaction times

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

but we're never going to see all automated because people love their cars too much

what can we do with 25% automated. actually useful hov lanes?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

hobbesmaster posted:

but we're never going to see all automated because people love their cars too much

kill all the people, problem solved

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
btw decision-reaction time aka response time is how long your average human takes to see something (like brakelights) and then think of a response (apply brakes) and then act upon that response (begin depressing brake pedal)

this is typically assumed to be 3.2 seconds which is an empirical average - younger people are closer to a second and olds (or drunks or people using a cellphone) are more like 4 or even 5 seconds

that number is used to determine things like how long it should take a driver to stop their car traveling at the posted speed limit if they see the light change - which therefore influences the minimum length of time the light should remain yellow in any phase

robot cars could improve upon this, tho you wouldn't want to since you'll prolly still have human drivers whizzing around out there too

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

hobbesmaster posted:

better interstates mostly, depends on how much of that 25% is tractor trailers

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

btw decision-reaction time aka response time is how long your average human takes to see something (like brakelights) and then think of a response (apply brakes) and then act upon that response (begin depressing brake pedal)

this is typically assumed to be 3.2 seconds which is an empirical average - younger people are closer to a second and olds (or drunks or people using a cellphone) are more like 4 or even 5 seconds

that number is used to determine things like how long it should take a driver to stop their car traveling at the posted speed limit if they see the light change - which therefore influences the minimum length of time the light should remain yellow in any phase

robot cars could improve upon this, tho you wouldn't want to since you'll prolly still have human drivers whizzing around out there too

why would you use the average instead of the worst case?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Stringent posted:

it's a weighted average as far as i know

so it grabs the largest realistic segment of drivers that we see on the roads

worst case is way too inefficient for peak traffic conditions

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

worst case is way too inefficient for peak traffic conditions

lol, and you call programmers terrible

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Stringent posted:

there is no worst case, just cases worse than all the ones previously

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

hobbesmaster posted:

In the future we will view human drivers the way we view today's drivers who are "rolling coal"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

what happens when i cut a driverless car off and slam on the brakes so it hits me? who writes me the check

• Locked thread