Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't had nicotine in any form in 48 hours, I'm scheduled an 8am-6pm shift, it's been nothing but oil changes and inspections all day back to back waiting walk ins that haven't sold a loving thing and so help me god I will take a potato peeler to the loving eyes of the next impatient rat-gently caress piece of incestuous genetic cast off who parks in the center of MY loving PARKING LOT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sell the 240sx... keep the 240sx... sell the 240sx.. keep the 240sx...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Coredump posted:

Sell the 240sx... keep the 240sx... sell the 240sx.. keep the 240sx...

Keep.

Duh.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Yeah but my plans were to put an LS something in it one day. When I plan out how much it would cost to do everything to it, its a down payment on a house. Plus it one of the few stock 1998 240's around.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Coredump posted:

Yeah but my plans were to put an LS something in it one day. When I plan out how much it would cost to do everything to it, its a down payment on a house. Plus it one of the few stock 1998 240's around.

Keep it, and keep it stock.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR posted:

Keep it, and keep it stock.

That's gonna be one rare bird one not-very-far-off day.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I have a hard time believing that an ls swap would cost the same as a down payment on a house. Is that for a brand new motor and everything?

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I've been trapped in a Chuck-E-Cheese for like four hours on a service call.

I long for the sweet release of death.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

I haven't had nicotine in any form in 48 hours, I'm scheduled an 8am-6pm shift, it's been nothing but oil changes and inspections all day back to back waiting walk ins that haven't sold a loving thing and so help me god I will take a potato peeler to the loving eyes of the next impatient rat-gently caress piece of incestuous genetic cast off who parks in the center of MY loving PARKING LOT

Yup, this sounds about right. If you can make it through about a week of this you'll be on the downhill.

Don't KILL nobody, aite?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Astonishing Wang posted:

I have a hard time believing that an ls swap would cost the same as a down payment on a house. Is that for a brand new motor and everything?

Yeah really. an E-rod LS3 is like $8k, T-56 Magnum $3k, maybe like $2k for the "kit" parts for the swap? That's $13k. Round up to $15k? a 10% down payment on a house (which is lower than you usually do, right? I dunno, never looked into buying a house) is what, like $50k? I guess these numbers are on the same order of magnitude, but that LS swap stuff could be turned into $5k pretty easily if you go with used stock stuff.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I hate everyone and everything.

Don't you hate
when you're out on a date
at the lake and she wants to procreate?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Arriviste posted:

Score! Hope you post pics of the your loot.

Photodump incoming!

Here's the bag everything came in. Pretty hefty, pockets everywhere, and it has a ridiculous amount of space on the inside.

First up, there's the camera itself:

It came in this super nice case. It doesn't quite reach the snaps in the back, but that's not a huge deal since I'm storing it inside the giant bag anyways.

Here's the camera. Yashica TL Super. From what I've found online, it was made in 1966. They seem to be regarded as pretty good and underrated SLRs. It has some serious heft to it, pretty sure it weighs as much as my T2i, if not more.

The lens is a 50mm prime, f/1.4. It has a Vivitar Skylight filter that I cannot seem to remove, so I guess that will be staying for the time being because I really don't want to break anything. The thing is immaculate, it looks incredibly well taken care of.

Original manuals, and...

A receipt and card from the store when it was purchased! The receipt says 84, so obviously it was bought used, but drat it looks like new.

Next, there's this:

Sun 85 - 210mm zoom lens. This thing is rad, and has about 3 or 4 different rings / switches that you have to play with to actually take the photo. From what I've read, they weren't exactly super crazy fancy lenses, but it's still neat nonetheless. I dig the hand grip.

The rest of what the bag contains is a variety of accessories:

An Edmund Wateler Watameter rangefinder. It slips into the hotshoe just above the viewfinder for range finding purposes.

Gossen Sixon Color Finder. This is probably my favorite thing in the bag, just because of that interesting little bit specifying it was made in West Germany, pre-Fall of the Berlin Wall. Internet claims these were made in 1952 or so, though this could also be a later model. Either way, it's in incredible condition, although the box is haggard and falling apart.

This is probably the newest thing in the collection, a Honeywell Auto/Strobonar 110. Believe it's from the mid 80's.

Lastly, I have an Agfa Agfalux flash unit. Don't know much about this, still not entirely sure how to get the actual fan bits to unfold and I don't really want to mess with it too much for fear of snapping things :v:

Apologies if all the images kill anyone's browser. Just let me know and I can edit out most of them and just link the Imgur album if anyone ends up having issues.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Talked to the manager at the luxury dealer. They just sent the (Rolls/now McLaren) head tech to England for McLaren training because they are picking up the brand shortly. If I go that route I'd be working on the Rolls rand as well. Otherwise it would be Porsche/Audi. They seem keen to hire and I'd start with lube/shadowing the head tech until he thought I could handle my own bay. All of this is underscored by the need to buy a set of tools for the shop, which is a poo poo ton of money. Or follow through with the guy at Harley and see if instead of unpaid work experience for school it could be a paid position. Really hoping Harley doesn't fall through, but we would love the extra income...

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Spazman, preventing the term "active shooter" since 2010

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
How exactly is the cat preventing you from jerking off?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Nidhg00670000 posted:

How exactly is the cat preventing you from jerking off?

It's like you don't even know cats. As soon as you take your dick out, the cat's like "Oh, what's that? I'ma sniff it", and that just ruins the mood.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Raluek posted:

Yeah really. an E-rod LS3 is like $8k, T-56 Magnum $3k, maybe like $2k for the "kit" parts for the swap? That's $13k. Round up to $15k? a 10% down payment on a house (which is lower than you usually do, right? I dunno, never looked into buying a house) is what, like $50k? I guess these numbers are on the same order of magnitude, but that LS swap stuff could be turned into $5k pretty easily if you go with used stock stuff.

Okay should have said more than swap. Take your 5k plus throw in 2k for a set of KW coilovers, 1 - 2k for a decent set of wheels and tires. Dunno if the stock rear end will hold up, would at least need a different ring and pinion. Etc etc. I would want to do it right and by the time I add it up it breaks 10k. Which is money I could be putting toward a house instead. The car would be badass though.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

God bless whoever invented the V-Slicer. Satan curse whoever made my kitchen too small to fit a drat drying rack.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Stadium Arcadium is one of those albums that suffers from goodness-fatigue. Like, yeah, I have absolutely no problem listening to the entirety of the 123 minutes. The only album I've ever listened to in its entirety cover to cover more being Incubus' Morning View, but, drat, if the good songs aren't just that much better than the rest of one of the most definitive Peppers works.

I'd also like to personally thank the dude who uploaded this vinyl flac rip of the entire album in 2.8k kbps @96khz. I'll take your 1.15gb/song sizes and raise you a 3tb hdd, sir! :filez: :getin:

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 04:04 on May 12, 2015

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm stuck in The Witcher since I quit playing it in 2011 and idk if I should start over again so I can import my save to the Wother 2 so I can import that to the witcher three or if I should just say gently caress it and move on to the Witcher 2

Fuckkk

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Today is one of the days when a) you get reminded life can utterly suck but then it gets better and b) There are some complete assholes alive but the really good men / women who leave us more than make up for it. as in their own way, they made the world a better place and we are poorer for their passing.

10 years today seperated. Yep, poo poo does get better and life does take some highly unexpected left turns

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Coredump posted:

Okay should have said more than swap. Take your 5k plus throw in 2k for a set of KW coilovers, 1 - 2k for a decent set of wheels and tires. Dunno if the stock rear end will hold up, would at least need a different ring and pinion. Etc etc. I would want to do it right and by the time I add it up it breaks 10k. Which is money I could be putting toward a house instead. The car would be badass though.

Oh, alright. Money you can put towards a downpayment on a house, fair enough. I was just imagining that you meant that the swap would cost the entire amount of a downpayment, which is insane since you could just buy a new Vette or Viper or whatever (depending on how nice of a house you're looking at) for that kind of money. I hereby retract my astonishment.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Not all houses cost half a mil, you know.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My roommate just gave me a bunch of xanax :psyduck:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Enourmo posted:

Yeah, only the cheap ones. :v: (In all seriousness, maybe half that, but poo poo hasn't been 100k in like 30 years IIRC)

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Christ sake, 14", telling you to step back from the ledge might as well be the AI religion.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Enourmo posted:

Pretty much, most of them in Australia are getting well past that mark. half a mill sounds cheap.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Luckily benzos and related, and opiates never hooked me In any way. Speed and coke were always my Problem Children back in the day, and booze now. I'll pop a klonopin once in a while as a "absolutely need to stop this full blown anxiety attack," but don't look for or take them regularly at all. It was more just the random out of the blue part I was wtfing

E: ESPECIALLY BECAUSE OF the recent AI xanax chats, and I've never even seen them in irl. Literally just found out there called bars because they're bar shaped.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

SuperDucky posted:

Christ sake, 14", telling you to step back from the ledge might as well be the AI religion.

No no, it's the edge you step back from. The ledge is what's beyond the edge.

Like the one Keith Richards landed on somehow. :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Enourmo posted:

No no, it's the edge you step back from. The ledge is what's beyond the edge.

Like the one Keith Richards landed on somehow. :v:

Are you sure? I thought a ledge was a narrow edge protrusion, but an edge is any transition from thing to not-thing. No?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Raluek posted:

Yeah, only the cheap ones. :v: (In all seriousness, maybe half that, but poo poo hasn't been 100k in like 30 years IIRC)

:stare:

Where the gently caress do you live? Half a mil gets you a hell of a nice house here, 100-150k will get you an older (60s-70s) home that needs a little bit of work in a decent neighborhood, or if you don't mind a long commute into Dallas, 150k gets you a brand new 3 bedroom house with a 2 car garage a bit out of town (a friend of mine bought a brand new house that was about 1400 sq ft with a 2 car garage for $130k last year, though it's out in the boonies - which is fine, he works in the far northern suburbs of Dallas anyway, so his commute is only about 30 minutes).

The house I'm in now is about 20 years old, decent size (2300 sq ft, 2 car garage, 4 bed/2 bath), has fiber to the home (one of the first neighborhoods in TX to get fiber), and valued by the county at ~215k with the land (it's actually worth a bit more with the improvements we've done, could probably sell for 230k). This is considered an upper middle class subdivision. All it really needs to sell is a little updating (door knobs, light fixtures, bathroom fixtures, that kind of stuff - polished brass on everything just screams 90s).

I almost bought a house about 10 years ago for 80k; needed roof work, but was otherwise in good shape - just needed some updating. Older house (early 70s) with window ac units and central heat, nice neighborhood with tons of trees, seller was willing to pay closing costs and for an inspection, but the only loan I could qualify for was an ARM, and gently caress a bunch of that. IIRC it was a 3 bed/1 bath with a 1 car garage, around 1600 sq ft. With my luck it would have wound up being like kastein's house :v: except it was on a slab foundation instead of pier and beam.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 12, 2015

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

There is a scary amount of people in this emergency room bent over with abdominal pain and those green bags they give you to barf in. I've counted 5 so far including the person I'm with.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

SuperDucky posted:

Stadium Arcadium is one of those albums that suffers from goodness-fatigue. Like, yeah, I have absolutely no problem listening to the entirety of the 123 minutes. The only album I've ever listened to in its entirety cover to cover more being Incubus' Morning View, but, drat, if the good songs aren't just that much better than the rest of one of the most definitive Peppers works.

I'd also like to personally thank the dude who uploaded this vinyl flac rip of the entire album in 2.8k kbps @96khz. I'll take your 1.15gb/song sizes and raise you a 3tb hdd, sir! :filez: :getin:

Morning View was a great album, but I loved (and still love) SCIENCE. It's in my Maxima's CD changer now. The whole thing is just :catdrugs:

This is my last week on 2nd shift. Tonight I celebrate with a Stone limited release Barleywine and too many tortilla chips.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

some texas redneck posted:

Where the gently caress do you live?

Not texas, thank god. :v:

San Jose. According to the internet, the house in which I'm renting a room was bought by my landlord in 2005 for 550k. My parents bought their house in the early 80s (then-2BR 1-ba) for $100k and that was a good deal. It's in the country a bit of a ways from here, but still.

Looking at Zillow (which I realize has not so accurate valuations) all the houses near here are in the same ballpark, $440k-1.5mil. poo poo's only gonna get more expensive :shobon:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

California explains everything. :v: It's been almost 10 years since I've been out there, but the last time I was there (for my cousin's HS graduation), I just about had a stroke when I saw what apartments rented for. In Marina, which isn't exactly a big city. And the more expensive ones advertised "AIR CONDITIONING!" as a selling point (though granted, my aunt claims she only has to turn on her a/c a few times a year, apparently it's pretty rare for them to break 80). When I visited San Francisco (a few days before Marina), both hotel rates and restaurant prices made my wallet run away yelping like a puppy that had been kicked in the balls.

Texas is far from the best place in the world to live, but housing in DFW is relatively cheap compared to most major urban centers, and we didn't get hit as bad by the recession as most of the rest of the country. I think Austin is supposedly the most expensive urban area in the state for housing, but last time I looked at moving down there, it wasn't really much more expensive than DFW.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

some texas redneck posted:

Where the gently caress do you live? Half a mil gets you a hell of a nice house here, 100-150k will get you an older (60s-70s) home that needs a little bit of work in a decent neighborhood

Seconding this, granted I bought my house at the height of the 2008 recession but I got a 1500 square foot one-level with a finished basement and a 3(ish) car garage with attached 15x15 workshop on a hair under an acre for $105k. Needed a little work but you can definitely get a not-shithole for under $200k if you don't mind living in "flyover country."

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

My manager, who is truly annoying and I have to work around constantly, is leaving for a 1 month+ vacation Wednesday night, and leaving me in charge of everything for the coming release that happens 2 days after she returns. The next two days can't pass fast enough. An entire release cycle without having to answer stupid questions about poo poo that she was supposed to have told me about if things flowed the way they were supposed to. It's going to be heaven.

Edit: House chat. I bought my house for just under $160k, 10 years ago this summer. Then the crash happened. It bottomed at $45k, and is just now getting up past $100k again. Another 5 years and I might actually be able to afford to sell this fucker and move closer than 52 miles from work.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

One of my friends who's currently unemployed is talking about moving to California once two of our other friends finish grad school.

Not just Cali, but loving Berkeley.

He and his wallet are in for a rude awakening coming from loving Orlando.

They're trying to talk me into it too. Granted a filthy liberal like me would fit in fine over there, but between rent/house prices and the clusterfuck that is dealing with CARB, holy gently caress is that a last resort for me.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 12, 2015

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Its a sign that I most likely need a new job when I tell middle level managers to gently caress off? Because they wanted a train to pick up cars that didn't have enough horsepower to make the hill... And my quote "yeah you can gently caress off pushing that thing up a hill" and hung up.

I'm for further education, but when you don't know how to do my job (let alone never pulled a cut lever) then don't tell me how to do it. Bunch of educated morons. (This is just common sense poo poo)

Thanks... Done venting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
For some reason I get especially good at driving my MT Accord after I've been in a rental for a couple days. Shifting and launches were really smooth with me today. No bogging the engine on launch and my 2nd gear synchro didn't get aggravated with me and crunch.

I guess it's because I usually end up with CVT shitboxes so I have to cane them to get anywhere. When I get back to the Accord, I'm used to giving more gas and launches are smoother.

• Locked thread