Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Deakul posted:

Lol, actually holding out hope that the dub is ever coming out.

You sweet summer child.

A little late to this but:

Captain Q posted:

I mean I'm not trying to rain on your negativity parade here but I don't see exactly why you seem to be so convinced it's out of the question? DBZ is p big right now, unless I'm missing something.

Kild posted:

Hmm yes the Dub will never come out despite the fact they only started doing the Buu saga because of the western fanbase.

On top of this, I believe Sabat, Schemmel, or another voice actor confirmed a while back they were recording for the Buu saga too? I get that it probably has a weird schedule with Xenoverse and the two new movies coming out in a relatively short amount of time but some sort of timeframe on when we can expect to see the rest of the show finished would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kanzenshuu put an interview up with Granny Goku and in it she says she doesn't know the story of Dragonball Super even though it starts in July.

They don't exactly record well in advance for anime over there, do they?

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Aurain posted:

Kanzenshuu put an interview up with Granny Goku and in it she says she doesn't know the story of Dragonball Super even though it starts in July.

She didn't even know she was going to be Gohan until they had her in the booth.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Aurain posted:

I dunno about the voice work specifically, but I've heard stories of anime episodes being delayed and poo poo because they finish working on it like an hour before airing and they couldn't get it to the studio on time.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Prison Warden posted:

I dunno about the voice work specifically, but I've heard stories of anime episodes being delayed and poo poo because they finish working on it like an hour before airing and they couldn't get it to the studio on time.

Wow and here I thought Paranoia Agent was exaggerating for dramatic effect. Man, that sounds stressful as gently caress.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Prison Warden posted:

There's also video comparisons of some anime where one version of an episode is from a channel that airs it a few hours before another channel, and the earlier version is missing certain scenes because they weren't done yet.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Xibanya posted:

Wow and here I thought Paranoia Agent was exaggerating for dramatic effect. Man, that sounds stressful as gently caress.

That kind of poo poo happens in like every episode of Shirobako too, between having to lock someone in a cage so he actually does some work and begging colleagues to help their studio so that they're just a little behind schedule and not woefully so.

Apparently most of the characters are based on real people and it's meant to be as true to life as possible while still being funny. I had to stop watching because I was getting frustrated by proxy.

Arsonist Daria fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 11, 2015

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Aurain posted:

If Shirobako has taught me anything, the answer is as long as nobody hosed up (somebody always fucks up).

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

There's also video comparisons of some anime where one version of an episode is from a channel that airs it a few hours before another channel, and the earlier version is missing certain scenes because they weren't done yet.

Attack on Titans did a lot of that. Unfinished was a lot of zooming in and out of a city sight while the finished had actual talking between the characters.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The Space Dandy animators complained about finishing the show months ahead of time so that the dub could be made

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
But if they didn't write so close to the wire how could they change plot points and bend over backwards to appease fans?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Mako x Gamagori is canon, deal with it.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Rodyle posted:

The Space Dandy animators complained about finishing the show months ahead of time so that the dub could be made

Geez, you figure that the differing styles would be more bothersome than that. I'm sure they still had deadlines but I thought not having to worry about the possibility of putting out an unfinished product would put people at ease.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Bad Seafood posted:

Mako x Gamagori is canon, deal with it.

wait what

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Geez, you figure that the differing styles would be more bothersome than that. I'm sure they still had deadlines but I thought not having to worry about the possibility of putting out an unfinished product would put people at ease.

In my personal experience, Japanese professionals live off of looming deadlines. They basically have to operate under the gun, or they don't feel like they'll get anything done.
(Of course, this was primarily while working with the JMSDF. So, I can't say anything about animation studios.)

:dealwithit:

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
A few things I forgot to mention or thought of afterward related to my previous effort posts.

This panel is hilarious. Roshi is leaning in, looking at the magazine with a hungry lust. Krillin leans in, looking at Roshi with a hungry lust. (though not the sexual kind. At least, I hope not.)

Remember when I said the first time we actually see Krillin genuinely happy right after Roshi says he might have some potential? Look at what everyone was telling him before he arrived on Roshi's island. This bit of characterization in the hands of a lesser storyteller would result in us seeing tons of inner monologues in which Krillin narrates in real time to the audience the ways he's grappling with his inner demons. But this story is not about how Krillin learned to like himself! This is Dragonball, a story about how the only moral good in this life is punching mans. I think we can all agree though, it really is as RuPaul says: if you can't love yourself, how the hell are you going to love somebody else a killer cyborg?

Lastly,

Goku and Krillin are insanely cute BFFs.

Xibanya fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 11, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
DBZA is at 99%. Get ready.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

THEY'RE BACK :neckbeard:

Edit: Cell, 16, and Piccolo were all fantastic. Also, I really wanted to see the Nail Gun. :(

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 12, 2015

dipwood
Feb 22, 2004

rouge means red in french
It's only Monday and already my week is made. The only thing that sucks is no more 17... ever. I think.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

dipwood posted:

It's only Monday and already my week is made. The only thing that sucks is no more 17... ever. I think.

17 will at least show up when Trunks goes back to the future....only to die again. That was great, even through I was wanting to hear what kinda of voice they would used for Semi-Perfect Cell, but that probably saved for next time.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
"I-I think I see a light..."

"WALK TOWARDS IT!!!" :flame:

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
The Android trio were kinda the best this whole episode.

That and Goku using... well, "logic."

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

dipwood posted:

You know at the end of the cell saga going to be a bonus scene where he and 16 poof back and dance off into the sunset like Fagen and the Artful Dodger.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Well that was pretty awesome. 16 was pretty amazing in this episode.
Man I was really hoping Semi-Perfect Cell would get a line at the end, but guess they're gonna keep us in suspense for another month and change.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

"Mister Piccolo would let me go"

"No he wouldn't and he's smarter than me"

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Testekill posted:

Gohan's stunned stammering in response really sold the moment. As did Goku adding "Also that door is totally going to open the instant you leave." Goku's been kind of...smart lately. It won't last, but I dig.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Gohan's stunned stammering in response really sold the moment. As did Goku adding "Also that door is totally going to open the instant you leave." Goku's been kind of...smart lately. It won't last, but I dig.

Honestly, I remember him being relatively smart throughout the end of the Cell Saga. All kind of building up to his staying dead at the end, realizing that he's basically the reason bad things keep happening.

Hell, I think the one real miss from the Buu Saga was having Goku come back before Buu really got going. I think it would have been neat to really clearly show that Goku had been wrong, and monsters his kids might not be able to tackle would show up anyway.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

If I'm remembering the show right, Buu's revival is kind of predicated on Goku coming back though, and reawakening Vegeta's inferiority complex.

So the message seems to be that Goku probably was right, but he tried to have his cake and eat it too. Goku himself is the source of the problem the kids can't handle.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Neo_Crimson posted:

"I-I think I see a light..."

"WALK TOWARDS IT!!!" :flame:

I was really surprised he didn't book end it with "HELL'S FLASH".

Regardless, 16 owned this episode.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
A Wishmaster reference? That was unexpected.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Testekill posted:

I like how they're setting up Gohan eventually losing his temper. Those outbursts are getting worse.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
"How many people?"

"Enough."

:stare:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

VJeff posted:

"How many people?"

"Enough."

They are disgustingly good at making the villians creepy as hell.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Raxivace posted:

If I'm remembering the show right, Buu's revival is kind of predicated on Goku coming back though, and reawakening Vegeta's inferiority complex.

So the message seems to be that Goku probably was right, but he tried to have his cake and eat it too. Goku himself is the source of the problem the kids can't handle.

Well, they were working to revive Buu before Goku came back. And probably would have eventually managed it without his help. Goku just made the process go quicker. So I guess you could say he was right and wrong at the same time.

VJeff posted:

"How many people?"

"Enough."

That line was great. Cell has been some delightfully creepy, this episode especially.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Ending without a one liner from Cell was such a ballsy choice, too. It just ratchets up the tension and the creepiness that much more. These guys are getting pretty goddamn good at this.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SirKibbles posted:

I like how they're setting up Gohan eventually losing his temper. Those outbursts are getting worse.

I can't wait to see Gohan finally snap hard, it's going to be great.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
"What are you made of, solid metal?"
"Affirmitive. I am Android 16"

Callbacks :allears:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
17 losing his poo poo over 16's rocket punch was also really good, I love that 17 seems like exactly the kind of guy who would love DBZ.

Too bad we won't be seeing him for a while.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

17 losing his poo poo over 16's rocket punch was also really good, I love that 17 seems like exactly the kind of guy who would love DBZ.

Too bad we won't be seeing him for a while.

Yeah I am going to miss 17. I know they won't do GT Abridged, but it would be worth it just for 17 having his own Saga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
17 owns because he's a huge dweeb. He'd definitely love DBZ.

Can't wait for the next episode. Or maybe the one after. I need Vegeta and Cell to interact, like, yesterday.

• Locked thread