Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So here's my other question having not kept up on poo poo since Skin Game. What's the prevailing theory o. Everyone's favorite bartender?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Lawful Neutral Outsider with feat: Weapon Specialization (shotgun) and max ranks in Profession: Bartending and Brewing.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Literally The Worst posted:

So here's my other question having not kept up on poo poo since Skin Game. What's the prevailing theory o. Everyone's favorite bartender?

He's out.

Sorry. It had to be done.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So the Winter Knight is basically the Winter Soldier :rimshot:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

More Changes to Cold Days chat ahead new readers

Harry was out running the Ik'kkoo and Man Moding Red Court vampires with the power of the mantle. Butters is wrong, it's definitely more than a magic feather.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Reading about Inspector Nightengale's military service in the Rivers of London series has got me thinking--have any major ancient temples been damaged during the Second World War? Particuarly during the Italian campaign?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Benny the Snake posted:

Reading about Inspector Nightengale's military service in the Rivers of London series has got me thinking--have any major ancient temples been damaged during the Second World War? Particuarly during the Italian campaign?

Don't know about pagan temples, but you're talking about Monte Cassino.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

Somebody earlier theorized he was Jesus, and while I think that might be a stretch, I found myself liking the idea that he's an immortal who "retired" but is still bound by the rules and can't freely share what he knows (thus the whole man of few words thing). If i had to guess I'd pick Heimdall, or maybe an angel/archangel

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Mac: The notable thing about Mac's injury to me was that it wouldn't start healing until Mab pulled the bullet, at which time the injury started closing right up. This is sort of similar to the way Harry popped back awake as soon as Butters pulled that last fishhook barb out of him. Combine that with the way that Mab clearly knew how to handle his injury, the way Mab clearly didn't want to talk to him, the way that the Outsider at the bar seemed to know him(calls him watcher), the way Mac reacted to the Outsider, and the fact that Mac somehow got his bar classified as Official Neutral Ground under the Unseelie(Winter) Accords, and I'm going to have to guess that Mac was associated with Winter before he was out, and maybe with the Outsiders as well.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Khizan posted:

Mac: The notable thing about Mac's injury to me was that it wouldn't start healing until Mab pulled the bullet, at which time the injury started closing right up. This is sort of similar to the way Harry popped back awake as soon as Butters pulled that last fishhook barb out of him. Combine that with the way that Mab clearly knew how to handle his injury, the way Mab clearly didn't want to talk to him, the way that the Outsider at the bar seemed to know him(calls him watcher), the way Mac reacted to the Outsider, and the fact that Mac somehow got his bar classified as Official Neutral Ground under the Unseelie(Winter) Accords, and I'm going to have to guess that Mac was associated with Winter before he was out, and maybe with the Outsiders as well.

I know this is almost certainly unintentional since her name is from Romeo & Juliet but Mab is Welsh for 'son of'. Fitz and Mac are also Norman and Gaelic for 'son of', respectively. Why the hell are so many characters literally named 'son of'?

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 12, 2015

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Mac is the highlander maybe?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Manannan Mac Lir? Technically a sea god, but in the legends more of a psychopomp and lord of the Otherworld. Probably to obvious.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Deptfordx posted:

Manannan Mac Lir? Technically a sea god, but in the legends more of a psychopomp and lord of the Otherworld. Probably to obvious.

The inspiration for King Lear, who gave up his kingdom.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Ague Proof posted:

The inspiration for King Lear, who gave up his kingdom.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leir_of_Britain disagrees with you.

But it's Wikipedia so :shrug:

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Ague Proof posted:

I know this is almost certainly unintentional since her name is from Romeo & Juliet but Mab is Welsh for 'son of'. Fitz and Mac are also Norman and Gaelic for 'son of', respectively. Why the hell are so many characters literally named 'son of'?

Why is this spoilered?

Anyway, Mab is almost certainly a corruption of Mebd (Maev), a probably mythical celtic queen.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Murgos posted:

Why is this spoilered?

Anyway, Mab is almost certainly a corruption of Mebd (Maev), a probably mythical celtic queen.

I know, I just thought it was a weird coincidence. I spoiled it out of habit.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Has anyone picked up the Paranet Papers (Dresden RPG expansion). Is it any good?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Exmond posted:

Has anyone picked up the Paranet Papers (Dresden RPG expansion). Is it any good?

It's pretty good, yeah. Lots of neat stuff.

I think you can check out the vegas chapter as a preview.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I've checked out the RPG, it's mechanics are too new school for an old grognard like me, but it's an interesting read as a sourcebook none the less.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just realized that Macs "May your scales always return to balance" line to Mab is simultaneously "hope you gently caress up the people who gently caress you up" "hope you get yours, bitch"

The most diplomatic burn known to man

I want a goddamn spin off series about Mac that has as little dialog from the protagonist as the Jack Reacher books and then when he does say something it's like the slickest burn you could dream up. Also, steak sandwiches

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

I just realized that Macs "May your scales always return to balance" line to Mab is simultaneously "hope you gently caress up the people who gently caress you up" "hope you get yours, bitch
I think it's more a reference to how fond Mab is of symmetry and balance(or perhaps Mac is saying that Mab used to be Themis)

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Deptfordx posted:

Wow, reading up on this guy I'm now putting him down as my bet.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MasterFugu posted:

I think it's more a reference to how fond Mab is of symmetry and balance(or perhaps Mac is saying that Mab used to be Themis)

I mean it's coming right on the heels of Mab successfully pulling off a five-year revenge plan so I'm going to go with the first one because it seems way cooler in my head

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Wow, reading up on this guy I'm now putting him down as my bet.

Don't read the Iron Druid books or you'll only know him as the dude with magical bacon :smith:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dresden sure says "Hell's Bells" a lot in this book.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Other things I have realized as I reread/listen to these books: If Butcher is still doing 20 case files and the Apocalpyse Trilogy, that means that whatever the last straw before the apocalypse is has something to do wit Denarians and I want to see pissed off Nic finally completely succeed and everyone just go "well gently caress we are hosed, yep we're hosed"

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Other things I have realized as I reread/listen to these books: If Butcher is still doing 20 case files and the Apocalpyse Trilogy, that means that whatever the last straw before the apocalypse is has something to do wit Denarians and I want to see pissed off Nic finally completely succeed and everyone just go "well gently caress we are hosed, yep we're hosed"

I hope the trilogy starts because somehow Harry or someone else reveals that magic exists, which Harry says would be a pretty bad thing to happen.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

thrawn527 posted:

Dresden sure says "Hell's Bells" a lot in this book.

Oh did you start Dead Beat?

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Thunderfinger posted:

I hope the trilogy starts because somehow Harry or someone else reveals that magic exists, which Harry says would be a pretty bad thing to happen.

As he quietly lists himself in the phone book under Wizard.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Oroborus posted:

Oh did you start Dead Beat?

I did. About a quarter of the way into it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Dienes posted:

As he quietly lists himself in the phone book under Wizard.

Things are probably out of the bag right now anyway thanks to what the Fomor have been up to after the Red Court fiasco.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Wade Wilson posted:

Things are probably out of the bag right now anyway thanks to what the Fomor have been up to after the Red Court fiasco.

Which hasn't really been elaborated anywhere outside of Side Jobs, right? I never read that book and was confused with who these Fomor guys were in Ghost Story.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Thunderfinger posted:

Maybe I'm too much of a fan of superhero stuff, but has there ever been a fantasy novel, urban or otherwise where magic is treated as an open secret? The kind of thing where those who can wield it try their best to keep it under wraps but if somebody would find them out, nobody would believe them? Especially how in our modern day we can explain most phenomena away with science?

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

Maybe I'm too much of a fan of superhero stuff, but has there ever been a fantasy novel, urban or otherwise where magic is treated as an open secret? The kind of thing where those who can wield it try their best to keep it under wraps but if somebody would find them out, nobody would believe them? Especially how in our modern day we can explain most phenomena away with science?

That's kind of the whole point of SI - explaining the magical stuff that happens in a way that doesn't get you locked up in the loony bin.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

computer parts posted:

Which hasn't really been elaborated anywhere outside of Side Jobs, right? I never read that book and was confused with who these Fomor guys were in Ghost Story.

There's a pretty good exposition bit in Ghost Story telling you who they are and what they've been doing (and they're basically the power behind the scenes that Dresden gets a good introduction to in that story), and by the end of Cold Days they've basically filled the power vacuum left by the Red Court and were making some pretty hard inroads into some major US cities while the White Council was being kept busy holding what they had in Europe.

The next book ought to have some major plot line involving them because we've been getting a lot of setting up of where Harry decides to start curb stomping some turtlenecks.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

Isn't that fairly standard in urban fantasy? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but isn't that how magic is treated in series like Harry Potter, Rivers of London and Sandman Slim? There's usually some level of effort to keep it under wraps so the general populace doesn't find out, but they usually don't have to try very hard since nobody believes in magic. Books where magic is either common knowledge or a tightly kept secret seem far more rare to me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, almost no books are willing to openly reveal magic because it requires basically a drastically different worldsetting.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, almost no books are willing to openly reveal magic because it requires basically a drastically different worldsetting.

Piers Anthony's incarnations of immortality come to mind.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Apoffys posted:

Isn't that fairly standard in urban fantasy? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but isn't that how magic is treated in series like Harry Potter, Rivers of London and Sandman Slim? There's usually some level of effort to keep it under wraps so the general populace doesn't find out, but they usually don't have to try very hard since nobody believes in magic. Books where magic is either common knowledge or a tightly kept secret seem far more rare to me.

Pretty sure the cat is out of the bag in the Sandman Slim world at this point.

I mean, the various bits of God just had a war with the Old Ones in broad daylight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The Fool posted:

Piers Anthony's incarnations of immortality come to mind.

My nostalgia brain remembers these being a really fun read. I was a stupid tween at the time though.