Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
Not to mention that the dice pool system itself, and the biggest charms being at the base of the tree, make extra dots give diminishing returns even if they all cost the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

What's great is that it's easily fixed too.

Give out BP, not XP. Cost all things in BP. (If necessary, adjust BP table slightly to reflect this, and, obviously, give out fewer BP.)

Training times require some kind of basic sanity test. This can vary based on the GM but I can see why you'd want people - even Solars - to not go from "zero dots" to "total superhuman mastery" just because they had some XP and were bored and wanted Occult 5. I guess this becomes an accursed 'mother may I' thing so you can probably skip it in the interest of philosophical purity.

Where is my kickstarter payout??

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I don't think the zany demigod fantasy/myth game with past lives really needs an explanation of why you suddenly acquired multiple dots of something. Maybe some groups would prefer it that way but it's pointless to codify. Integrity sticks out as something that becomes kind of hilarious when you apply training times to.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

cenotaph posted:

I don't think the zany demigod fantasy/myth game with past lives really needs an explanation of why you suddenly acquired multiple dots of something. Maybe some groups would prefer it that way but it's pointless to codify. Integrity sticks out as something that becomes kind of hilarious when you apply training times to.
How so? It seems to be like, applied intellectual rigor and self-knowledge (if you wanted to quantify it as anything other than "I roll a larger number of dice to not be persuaded").

As for the other, fair enough, but in theory you can play PCs other than Solars you know :mad:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
When my character spent a week getting Integrity from 2 to 4 it was mostly through a lot of relentless soul-searching and asking himself in the mirror what REALLY mattered here, etc.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

LatwPIAT posted:

Based on hearsay and some stuff Holden might have said sometime I don't know, the reason for this is thus:

a) Holden wants character generation to be fast and simple. Therefore, attributes and skills are levelled up at character generation with linear costs.
b) Holden wants character advancement to be a slow process, where each new dot feels like a greater accomplishment than the previous one. Therefore, attributes and skills are levelled up with quadratic costs.
c) Holden does not consider the potential XP-different between characters resulting from a linear/quadratic-discrepancy a problem great enough to outweigh the benefits of a and b.

(Personally, I feel that c outweighs all the proposed benefits. Intentionally creating situations where players can end up hundreds of XP behind others (to take a 2E example) is stupid because it creates situations that can be actively harmful to fun. Like this.)

Hmmmm yes fast character creation. Well thank god that's not a consideration at all because there are 3 million charms to choose from.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Nihnoz posted:

Hmmmm yes fast character creation. Well thank god that's not a consideration at all because there are 3 million charms to choose from.

It's quick!

Also please distribute 28 dots between 25 different skills. Quickly now.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What I remember of training tiems is that Dragon-Blooded and Eclipse characters laughed at them.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Nihnoz posted:

Well if you bake them into an excel spreadsheet and then just filter it by low-to-high essence it gets a lot easier! Oh and then again by ability so you can choose your supernals.

MonsieurChoc posted:

What I remember of training tiems is that Dragon-Blooded and Eclipse characters laughed at them.

I thought everyone laughed at them. Isn't measuring them by month just 100% pointless? It's not like you as a player are going to say "Hey, I think I'll sit out the next few session so my characters can spend three months getting better at Perception" so they're gonna get bunched up with the other players, and then just take as long as the ST wants their campaign to be paused for. Training time to me has always seemed like the biggest possible candidate for rule abstraction(literally "training takes place between arcs of the story"), since it's already mostly there.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 10, 2015

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I actually quite like training times, it gives the game a bit of a rhythm and it gives me as ST a reason to have long breaks. Right now my players are about to hit essence 2, so I'm giving them a yearlong timeskip to do long-term projects and train up their attributes; pretty much all of next session is gonna be devoted to whatever they as players undertake.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Nihnoz posted:

I actually quite like training times, it gives the game a bit of a rhythm and it gives me as ST a reason to have long breaks. Right now my players are about to hit essence 2, so I'm giving them a yearlong timeskip to do long-term projects and train up their attributes; pretty much all of next session is gonna be devoted to whatever they as players undertake.

Yeah, but that's exactly what I'm describing. Training takes place between arcs, and you are going with an ST set amount of time appropriate to your story instead of a calculated amount derived from the game rules. Those rules are easy targets for removal or just super simplification.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

theironjef posted:

Well if you bake them into an excel spreadsheet and then just filter it by low-to-high essence it gets a lot easier! Oh and then again by ability so you can choose your supernals.

I thought everyone laughed at them. Isn't measuring them by month just 100% pointless? It's not like you as a player are going to say "Hey, I think I'll sit out the next few session so my characters can spend three months getting better at Perception" so they're gonna get bunched up with the other players, and then just take as long as the ST wants their campaign to be paused for. Training time to me has always seemed like the biggest possible candidate for rule abstraction(literally "training takes place between arcs of the story"), since it's already mostly there.

No, I meant Dragon-Blooded had a charm that just eliminated that whole hassle. And Eclipse Caste could steal it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

No, I meant Dragon-Blooded had a charm that just eliminated that whole hassle. And Eclipse Caste could steal it.

Yes, I know. It's annoying that the game has rules in it just to sidestep rules it could just do away with in the first place without really losing anything.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

MonsieurChoc posted:

a lot of people had stuff like that. Twilights and Dawns together could shorten any training time to a week, Infernals could wish they and their Circlemates into new stuff that they wanted.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

theironjef posted:

Yeah, but that's exactly what I'm describing. Training takes place between arcs, and you are going with an ST set amount of time appropriate to your story instead of a calculated amount derived from the game rules. Those rules are easy targets for removal or just super simplification.
Yeah, it's really the 'between arcs' thing I was thinking of.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara

theironjef posted:

Well the time they spend training is time they aren't developing backgrounds or advancing character goals, etc, so I think the training times are still relevant and somewhat interesting. they'll cease to be that when the timeskips start getting longer, but so it is.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Nessus posted:

How so? It seems to be like, applied intellectual rigor and self-knowledge (if you wanted to quantify it as anything other than "I roll a larger number of dice to not be persuaded").

As for the other, fair enough, but in theory you can play PCs other than Solars you know :mad:

Training times take away the ability to have stuff like a dude picking up a sword for the first time in his life and realizing he's a murder savant. Integrity specifically is silly for what Ferrinus said but also because you can't have an "I can't take it anymore" moment where a pushover grows a backbone. If you're making an epic hero simulator you ought to make allowances for that sort of thing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

cenotaph posted:

Training times take away the ability to have stuff like a dude picking up a sword for the first time in his life and realizing he's a murder savant. Integrity specifically is silly for what Ferrinus said but also because you can't have an "I can't take it anymore" moment where a pushover grows a backbone. If you're making an epic hero simulator you ought to make allowances for that sort of thing.
Yeah my own tabletop Exalted games (and I still suspect I'm the only person here to be in several physical-space tabletop Exalted games... perhaps the only person in the world save my tablemates!) often had those moments, frequently enough that they kind of lost dramatic currency (at least in my opinion.) At that point you might as well just have trained/untrained, honestly.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Yeah it would be best used infrequently. It also requires someone sitting on a bucket of xp which I guess doesn't happen unless you're saving up for another big purchase and change your mind.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

cenotaph posted:

Yeah it would be best used infrequently. It also requires someone sitting on a bucket of xp which I guess doesn't happen unless you're saving up for another big purchase and change your mind.
Double-length sessions in our case, plus various stunt and style bonuses, so on and so forth - plus the fact that we rarely felt a burning NEED to improve our core competencies with Charm purchases and so on. So it kind of became a bank of "whatever!" points.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

cenotaph posted:

If you pick up a sword and turn out to be a savant, it's because you had Melee 5 all along.

Here's how you make allowances for what you mention, though:

* With a major stunt, you can halve the training time of something you've been working on, potentially acquiring it immediately if that puts you over the line
* With a defining stunt, you can zero the training time of something you've been working on or even have had significant exposure to, maybe even for the first time in this very scene

bartkusa
Sep 25, 2005

Air, Fire, Earth, Hope
You could bank training time, and then decide what you were training after-the-fact.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I don't really buy any of that. If training times exist then how did you have melee 5 in the first place? The rest is just legislating stuff that is should be up to the individual group anyway.

I posted quite a while ago about how the whole xp system doesn't make sense regarding how you can earn xp for doing *whatever* and then spend it on something completely different, like buying melee charms after completing a business deal. Bolting on training times as a nod towards simulation just makes the whole thing more absurd. It's one area of the game that should be permissive by default. It should be a sidebar of optional suggestions at most.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

cenotaph posted:

I don't really buy any of that. If training times exist then how did you have melee 5 in the first place? The rest is just legislating stuff that is should be up to the individual group anyway.

I posted quite a while ago about how the whole xp system doesn't make sense regarding how you can earn xp for doing *whatever* and then spend it on something completely different, like buying melee charms after completing a business deal. Bolting on training times as a nod towards simulation just makes the whole thing more absurd. It's one area of the game that should be permissive by default. It should be a sidebar of optional suggestions at most.

You bought it in character creation. Duh. But you seem to be on the verge of a rant about dissociated mechanics, so why don't you let it all out?

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Effectronica posted:

You bought it in character creation. Duh. But you seem to be on the verge of a rant about dissociated mechanics, so why don't you let it all out?

Nah, that's all I really have to say. XP is there to make numbers go up because that makes people happy so I don't think having systems to highly regulate it is necessary.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

cenotaph posted:

I don't really buy any of that. If training imtimes exist then how did you have melee 5 in the first place? The rest is just legislating stuff that is should be up to the individual group anyway.

XP is out of character, but training times aren't.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

theironjef posted:

Yes, I know. It's annoying that the game has rules in it just to sidestep rules it could just do away with in the first place without really losing anything.

Hello separate Craft skills.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Roadie posted:

Hello separate Craft skills.
I never thought I'd miss the five elemental Crafts.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
the best craft implementation was craft as a single skill, and then using specialties to handle people who only knew one kind of craft like your local blacksmith.

If you want to differentiate crafters, make the *charms* for different kinds of craft be different trees.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

xiw posted:

the best craft implementation was craft as a single skill, and then using specialties to handle people who only knew one kind of craft like your local blacksmith.
I agree but I don't remember that ever being official.

NIV3K
Jan 8, 2010

:rolleyes:

Monday Meeting Notes posted:

EDIT FROM EDDY: I didn’t receive any word on Exalted 3rd. As such, I assume it’s in the same state as last week.
This definitely made me laugh.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

A Venn diagram of the official forums and hell etc.

But really, it's worse.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

ErichZahn posted:

So, just a circle?

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

ErichZahn posted:

But really, it's worse.

oh, it's not that bad.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Did they stop writing gross sex fanon poo poo? I haven't read it in a while but I think that was the last straw.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ronwayne posted:

Did they stop writing gross sex fanon poo poo? I haven't read it in a while but I think that was the last straw.

idk, I don't really read it either, I'm just going off the assumption that nobody on their mod team got convicted of sex crimes.

please feel free to correct this if I am wrong.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

No, no, I'm talking bout nerd entitlement, the comments section, and recent modposts from which I've inferred the Exalted forum might be going away for a while.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I want to be hauntingly seduced by abyssal specters!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

What's kind of great is that even ignoring completely all the gross sex crap, I can think of a bunch of great reasons to set that forum on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
:allears: Do tell. (I can only remember a vague annoyance, personally)

• Locked thread