Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG_OezlTZ1A

Though in this instance you probably just meant to use the word "symbols."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

This is seriously a proclick.

vvvvvv Yeah the unwillingness of the Sheriff to share info might have something to do with his repeated evidence spoilation actions, even after he was warned. He had a camera, a photo of a wallet would have gotten them out there. He really seemed intent on bring death souvenirs back.

I Greyhound fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 11, 2015

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
The Death Valley Germans thing was really interesting, but I was let down by the lack of resolution at the end, and I was starting to suspect the guy who wrote it was kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
The guy seems pretty full of himself judging from his writing, a touch of the 'sperg is detectable and he seems to have a Holmes-complex. Other than that it was interesting.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ehhhh. I mean, part of it is his writing style. But the fact is, he is personally and entirely responsible for solving a missing persons case, and it's pretty clear that rather than being grateful, the local sheriffs office was maybe just a bit peevish that a random "enthusiast" accomplished what they had not. Importantly, by developing a theory of events that they had not considered.

I'm sure sheriffs and police departments all over the place have to deal with all kinds of cranks and crackpot "enthusiasts" butting into investigations, tampering with evidence, and generally being a huge pain in the rear end. But this guy is at least a trained search & rescue guy, working as part of an organized S&R group, in that area. He was meticulous about his recordkeeping, usually took extreme care not to tamper with evidence, and he kept the authorities in the loop with everything he was doing.

At the very least, it's an entertaining mystery story. I've read and watched a few different shows/stories/books about people who get in trouble in survival situations, and then either live or die. It's usually struck me that while the ones who died often made several boneheaded decisions, often those decisions were based not on being really stupid, but rather, on a simple lack of critical information. Usually the "stupid" part is just people not being aware of a risk they're taking, or of conditions they're entering. Once that mistake is made, they then often make a series of decisions that, for that person, in that moment, "make sense" in some kind of way. It's a mistake to just assume they're idiots.

This otherhand.org guy understood that. He started with the assumption that the Germans' big mistake was not knowing the road conditions they were heading into, and then the one additional mistake they made was not realizing that a military base in a remote part of death valley would just be a big empty abandoned hunk of wilderness, rather than a european-style installation with roads, guards, buildings, etc. Pretty much everything else they did was based on reasonable logic; they sought easy routes through the terrain, sought the fastest/most direct route to help once they knew they were lost, used the terrain to find places where they could see as much as possible, carried liquids with them, etc.

He also gives credit to the fact that the main reason he was able to develop this theory was because other likely theories - and likely directions of travel - had already been eliminated by previous searchers. So it's not like he showed up to an untouched crime scene and then single-handedly figured the whole thing out. He leads by giving a ton of credit to a couple of other people who supplied him with all kinds of information and evidence that helped him develop his theory of the event.

Anyway. I found it a really interesting read.

evilneanderthal
Mar 5, 2008

After school we'd all go play in his cave, and every once in a while he would eat one of us. It wasn't until later that I found out that Uncle Caveman was a bear.

Leperflesh posted:

the local sheriffs office was maybe just a bit peevish that a random "enthusiast" accomplished what they had not

I also think there's an element of "civilian creating work for no particular reason". The missing persons are definitely 10 years dead, no foul play is suspected, and the author is not related in any way and has no stake.

Best case scenario (for the sheriff's office) is that this guy hikes around in the back country and doesn't get lost or otherwise go missing. Finding the bones and other evidence means they have to spend time/money/energy for the benefit of the family who'd shown no interest and probably just want to forget about the whole ordeal. They'd prefer to devote those resources to actual living persons. Worst case scenario is they have to S+R the author and whoever else he gets involved.

It's a really neat story and makes for great reading but it's not hard to see why the sheriff's office would be annoyed about the whole thing.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I read that story, and the one about the 71-year old man who wandered into the desert to die. The author seems like a pretty cool guy to me. He gives credit where it's due, and even said that he's just plain frustrated when dealing with the Inyo County Sheriff's Department. Here's the last bit in that story:

quote:

The real joy in all this was working with Jack Freer, and indirectly, the Carson City Sheriff’s Office. My relationships with other agencies when doing this sort “unofficial” searching is usually cool at best and sometimes downright adversarial. Information is power and agencies like to hold on to it. It couldn’t have been more the opposite in this case. Whatever we asked for in the way of reports or background information, Jack made it happen. And after we found Norman, the Carson City Sheriff’s Office treated us very, VERY well. Perhaps that was in fact an unfortunate thing. Because now we know how well it can work, and the usual agency bureaucratic bullshit now seems so much more annoying.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

evilneanderthal posted:

I also think there's an element of "civilian creating work for no particular reason". The missing persons are definitely 10 years dead, no foul play is suspected, and the author is not related in any way and has no stake.

Best case scenario (for the sheriff's office) is that this guy hikes around in the back country and doesn't get lost or otherwise go missing. Finding the bones and other evidence means they have to spend time/money/energy for the benefit of the family who'd shown no interest and probably just want to forget about the whole ordeal. They'd prefer to devote those resources to actual living persons. Worst case scenario is they have to S+R the author and whoever else he gets involved.

It's a really neat story and makes for great reading but it's not hard to see why the sheriff's office would be annoyed about the whole thing.

He also mentions at one point that the FBI was briefly involved (because it involved a potential homicide investigation of foreign nationals). TV shows and movies have taught me that local law enforcement hates it when the feds come in and step on their toes, and since everything on TV is true and real, I assume this is another reason for the local sheriffs to be annoyed.

I really think it's not so much that they treated him badly, as that they just cut him out of the loop. There's no legal mandate for law enforcement to spend their time helping local amateurs solve decades-old mysteries, of course. They obviously should be working with the local community, especially when they can identify genuinely helpful and productive individuals to engage with, so the shittiness is obviously where specific members of law enforcement seem unwilling or uninterested in doing that.

In the long run, having those contacts makes you better at law enforcement. But in the short run, it means carving time out of your no doubt underfunded and overburdened staff's time to engage with people, answer their requests for info, etc. and that does carry with it an immediate and quantifiable cost. I can understand where it comes from and that it's common, even while I recognize that it actually harms the long-term goals of the agency.

As for the idea that the sheriff would have preferred the cold case stay cold: I kind of doubt that. Solving old mysteries makes for good law enforcement press. What makes for bad press (from the point of view of the county sheriff) is when someone else solves an old mystery that your department apparently failed to solve, especially if the news articles point out that they way the mystery was solved, was by searching an area you dismissed because you weren't smart enough to think of why the missing people could have gone that way.

If the info had come anonymously and quietly to the sheriff's office, so that they could go out and lay claim to having solved the mystery themselves based on "new evidence" or whatever, I bet they'd have been a lot happier about it, irrespective of the work generated.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Leperflesh posted:

But the fact is, he is personally and entirely responsible for solving a missing persons case, and it's pretty clear that rather than being grateful, the local sheriffs office was maybe just a bit peevish that a random "enthusiast" accomplished what they had not. Importantly, by developing a theory of events that they had not considered.
It's pretty clear that that's how HE saw it, anyway. By that point, I was starting to doubt his reliability as a narrator. "Well, they told me not to touch evidence, and I promised I wouldn't, so I brought the wallet out ...."

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Thanks to this thread I get lots of cool youtube recommendations. There's not much Everest activity at the moment so I thought someone might appreciate these.

This one is some crazy dudes climbing a ridiculously difficult wall while screaming. According to the video/comments it is the hardest climb ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1P97VVt6_k

This is a good national geographic talk about a few climbing trips from Alex Honnold, Mark Synnott, and Jimmy Chin. Very entertaining!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFfTHoJ9khs

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

pookel posted:

It's pretty clear that that's how HE saw it, anyway. By that point, I was starting to doubt his reliability as a narrator. "Well, they told me not to touch evidence, and I promised I wouldn't, so I brought the wallet out ...."

Yep, it's obvious they felt slighted by the authorities so it's kinda hard to know what to believe there. But basically the dude got incredibly lucky, though it wasn't completely blind luck to be fair*. But honestly it's silly to say the people in charge weren't smart enough to come up with his theory, it's just that there's limited resources to find people, particularly when it is almost 100% certain they are dead. They (most likely) searched the ares where it would be reasonable to find survivors, but at some point you have to call it a day.

*Although it did work out here, his methods for the search are actually pretty bad for locating survivors. His whole thing of trying to find the perfect theory that explains all the evidence is a common mistake- theories that explain all the evidence are almost always wrong because they are working with (and overfitting) noisy data. The usual method is to combine theories about possible paths the missing object could take with the probability of finding the object given it is actually there. This is very common in ocean searches, because the knowledge of the crash area's ocean currents at the time can be used to form a reasonable hypothesis. But it also works here too, you figure out the most plausible routes and work from there. In this case though, you also add in the probability of finding the person alive given they are actually there and then search the region where the intersection of the probabilities is the highest.

Fun read but there's a lot of 'just-so' story in there, particularly when he starts talking about how the Germans might have saw similar tracks that he did or the military installation thing. It's very likely a lot of the story lined up with theory by complete coincidence. For every theory like this there's the thousand that don't get written about because they went nowhere.

Leperflesh posted:

In the long run, having those contacts makes you better at law enforcement. But in the short run, it means carving time out of your no doubt underfunded and overburdened staff's time to engage with people, answer their requests for info, etc. and that does carry with it an immediate and quantifiable cost. I can understand where it comes from and that it's common, even while I recognize that it actually harms the long-term goals of the agency.

As for the idea that the sheriff would have preferred the cold case stay cold: I kind of doubt that. Solving old mysteries makes for good law enforcement press. What makes for bad press (from the point of view of the county sheriff) is when someone else solves an old mystery that your department apparently failed to solve, especially if the news articles point out that they way the mystery was solved, was by searching an area you dismissed because you weren't smart enough to think of why the missing people could have gone that way.

If the info had come anonymously and quietly to the sheriff's office, so that they could go out and lay claim to having solved the mystery themselves based on "new evidence" or whatever, I bet they'd have been a lot happier about it, irrespective of the work generated.

I think you bought the narrative a little too hard.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Norton posted:

This one is some crazy dudes climbing a ridiculously difficult wall while screaming. According to the video/comments it is the hardest climb ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1P97VVt6_k

Why even bother with clipping into a safety line if you're too stupid to wear a helmet? Nearly any fall in which the line arrests you ends with you dying from your bare head slamming into the rock face.

I Greyhound fucked around with this message at 00:07 on May 12, 2015

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Meatwave posted:

We're coming up on K2 season and Garrett Madison is making a bigger expedition this year. It looks like he's running another guided team, which is always an interesting situation for K2.

Last year, Alan Arnette climbed K2 with him, and the year before that was the 2013 K2 disaster. Here's Arnette's description of coming down K2 and nearly dying a dozen times.

It should be an interesting K2 season.

Does each mountain have its own season?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

I Greyhound posted:

Why even bother with clipping into a safety line if you're too stupid to wear a helmet? Nearly any fall in which the line arrests you ends with you dying from your bare head slamming into the rock face.

That's what I was thinking. Every time they slip, whoever is belaying them lets them fall like 40 feet before arresting them.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I Greyhound posted:

uh... because hitting your head without a helmet is a maybe, but hitting the ground without a rope isn't?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

tsa posted:

Yep, it's obvious they felt slighted by the authorities so it's kinda hard to know what to believe there. But basically the dude got incredibly lucky, though it wasn't completely blind luck to be fair*. But honestly it's silly to say the people in charge weren't smart enough to come up with his theory, it's just that there's limited resources to find people, particularly when it is almost 100% certain they are dead. They (most likely) searched the ares where it would be reasonable to find survivors, but at some point you have to call it a day.

*Although it did work out here, his methods for the search are actually pretty bad for locating survivors. His whole thing of trying to find the perfect theory that explains all the evidence is a common mistake- theories that explain all the evidence are almost always wrong because they are working with (and overfitting) noisy data. The usual method is to combine theories about possible paths the missing object could take with the probability of finding the object given it is actually there. This is very common in ocean searches, because the knowledge of the crash area's ocean currents at the time can be used to form a reasonable hypothesis. But it also works here too, you figure out the most plausible routes and work from there. In this case though, you also add in the probability of finding the person alive given they are actually there and then search the region where the intersection of the probabilities is the highest.

Fun read but there's a lot of 'just-so' story in there, particularly when he starts talking about how the Germans might have saw similar tracks that he did or the military installation thing. It's very likely a lot of the story lined up with theory by complete coincidence. For every theory like this there's the thousand that don't get written about because they went nowhere.

I think you bought the narrative a little too hard.

He's explaining his own line of thinking. The burro tracks that might look like human tracks? He explains why he thinks the Germans might have seen them, and that that might have made them think they were using a human trail rather than a game trail. But the presence of those tracks wasn't critical to his theory.

His methods for the search area were specifically not for looking for survivors. He was there years after they had gone missing. The guy is trained in search and rescue, I think he understands the difference. His thing wasn't trying to find "the perfect theory" - it was trying to find any theory that would explain the Germans going somewhere that hadn't already been searched. He says as much, explicitly.

The guy pretty clearly thinks that the fact that law enforcement agencies give up after it's clear no survivors are going to be found is, at best, unfortunate. He's got a kind of tunnel vision there, as if law enforcement hasn't got other priorities, or as if the expense of a search for the remains of people who are definitely dead is somehow justifiable with no limit. I don't think that's reasonable and I disagree with him on that point.

But the entire point of his narrative is to describe how he started with what everyone else had done, a bunch of info from a couple of experts who shared their data, and then looked at the unexplored parts of the map - areas the original searchers dismissed as not worthy of being searched - and tried to come up with reasons why the Germans might have gone there. He succeeded. You can't really argue with that success. You could argue that all the theorizing was wrong, some how, and he found them only because there was only those areas left to look, and he looked there... but why hadn't anyone else looked there, in the intervening years? And if his explanation for their movements is wrong, what other explanation could there be? Do you think the Germans abandoned their car and, instead of backtracking the road they drove in on, took off into desolate wilderness because they thought it seemed like fun?

I'm not "buying the narrative," so much as I'm willing to extend at least some small amount of deference to a guy who is trained and active in mountain search and rescue, has decades of experience in the immediate area, and went to great lengths to be systematic and careful in his search. I don't see any special reason to discount his story, beyond perhaps some minor details he might have gotten wrong or forgotten about.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Nocheez posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG_OezlTZ1A

No, maps are pretty much the only case where the word 'symbology' is correct. Specifically, the word 'symbology' refers to the the visual language used to convey meaning in a map. All fully featured GIS (map-making) software will have a 'symbology' panel that allows the user to chose what icons, colours, lines, patterns and/or gradients are used to represent a given feature or continuous field.

Source: I go to school to learn how to make maps.

evilneanderthal
Mar 5, 2008

After school we'd all go play in his cave, and every once in a while he would eat one of us. It wasn't until later that I found out that Uncle Caveman was a bear.

Leperflesh posted:

You could argue that all the theorizing was wrong, some how, and he found them only because there was only those areas left to look, and he looked there... but why hadn't anyone else looked there, in the intervening years? And if his explanation for their movements is wrong, what other explanation could there be? Do you think the Germans abandoned their car and, instead of backtracking the road they drove in on, took off into desolate wilderness because they thought it seemed like fun?

His theory is plausible and fits the evidence, if the narrator is reliable, which is difficult to verify. For example, when the sheriff's office calls out of courtesy to let him know about the (possible) location of the bones of the children (maybe), he immediately dismisses it.

We don't know how much of his story is accurate, not to mention other evidence that he may have overlooked or which might have been withheld from him deliberately. Etc.

The whole story has elements of concern trolling. Why doesn't the police department care as much as I do? Probably because they have a job to do and helping some rando play desert detective isn't part of it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Anyone remember James Kim, the TechTV guy who made the wrong turn at Albuquerque in the Oregon hills during winter and ended up snowbound? Stick to major highways unless you know the terrain, kids.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes
I definitely saw both sides of that while reading it.

If I ever had the time and income I would love to get into SAR. Nothing better than knowing that if you're lost and alone people are coming to find you.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
So are people still going to climb the mountain this year or what?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nooner posted:

So are people still going to climb the mountain this year or what?

China closed their side, the major climbing companies canceled their expeditions. I don't remember if Nepal ever got the hint and shut it all down. Though they might leave it open in order to let two years of climbing permits expire.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Cojawfee posted:

China closed their side, the major climbing companies canceled their expeditions. I don't remember if Nepal ever got the hint and shut it all down. Though they might leave it open in order to let two years of climbing permits expire.

Probably. The last word from Nepal was that the sherpas all basically said "gently caress this poo poo", but if Nepal-the-government said anything it's not been posted here yet.

Given the massive amount of money they've probably lost from tourism and two consecutive lost climbing seasons (even before we start talking rebuilding costs), I'd be surprised if they extended the permits again.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

evilneanderthal posted:

His theory is plausible and fits the evidence, if the narrator is reliable, which is difficult to verify. For example, when the sheriff's office calls out of courtesy to let him know about the (possible) location of the bones of the children (maybe), he immediately dismisses it.

We don't know how much of his story is accurate, not to mention other evidence that he may have overlooked or which might have been withheld from him deliberately. Etc.

The whole story has elements of concern trolling. Why doesn't the police department care as much as I do? Probably because they have a job to do and helping some rando play desert detective isn't part of it.

Yeah. I like the guy's writing, and I would be equally annoyed at being shut out by the authorities, but after the narrator emailed a friend a scan of that lady's driving license, which the friend subsequently leaked to the media, after being told explicitly not to share any details, any good investigator would stop giving this guy case info.

I'm not sure I buy the military base theory, though he was clearly right about checking the last unsearched areas.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

So the step-parents died and the kids survived for some time and then died? :stonk:
Christ, what a nightmare

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Christ, what a nightmare

We don't actually know that. It could have been the other way around. Or they might have simply gotten split up - the parents leave the kids behind while trying to find help, the kids get scared and go out to try and find them, the parents return and the kids are gone.

Without the authorities sharing the evidence found at the site where the kids' bones were found, it's pretty tough to piece together a story anyone can be sure of. All we know is that the two kids were found some distance from where the two adults were found.

But uh... yeah no matter what went down, it was doubtless a nightmare for all four of them.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
If I die outside somewhere I hope some internet nerd solves the mystery of my bones

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

If I die outside somewhere I hope some internet nerd solves the mystery of my bones

The inheritor of my will will be required to set up a geocaching game with my bones, with my skull as the final prize

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Does each mountain have its own season?

Nepal and Pakistan have different seasons. The summer monsoon hits Nepal hard June through September, so you basically can't climb for those months. April/May are the best time to climb the Himayala, with another brief window in October before it gets too cold, that's not early as good since there's hardly any time for acclimatization. There's no monsoon in Pakistan, so you can climb all summer. June/July/August are the best months - Pakistan's mountains are generally colder than Nepal's, so the climbing window isn't as wide.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien
If you think about it, being eaten by mountain lions is like being eaten by a giant house cat. The circle of life

enziarro
Sep 4, 2004

I'm not an angel - I'm a Galactic Pioneer.
Regardless of his issues, S&R guy is pretty cool. Reading the one about the old guy who walked into the desert now, earlier I read the German one and the one where he uses similar methods to find an Area 51 A-12 crash site and finds all kinds of spy plane parts and army juice cans and poo poo.

Default Settings
May 29, 2001

Keep your 'lectric eye on me, babe

Nocheez posted:

See, I had looked up "symbology" on a dictionary because I wasn't sure if it would be the correct translation of the word I would have used in my native German. My translation was poor since the word I chose is so technical that it takes a Jonad to understand it.

Ironically that exactly drives home the point of my post regarding the map: Guy might not have read many US road maps before, ends up "translating" it based on some wrong assumptions and misinterpretations of its content.

And then he gets lost.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
So looks like a big aftershock hit, reports of 7.1. All those people who wanted to keep climbing and got angry after the season was shut down must be reconsidering.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Bensa posted:

So looks like a big aftershock hit, reports of 7.1. All those people who wanted to keep climbing and got angry after the season was shut down must be reconsidering.

USGS had 7.4 listed.

Edit: with regard to Everest this one is centered a lot closer so it might have been even worse for the climbers.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Bensa posted:

Upgraded to 7.4 already. :(

Pale Ale
Sep 10, 2001

Yeah I know that but do you honestly expect England to even slightly challenge Australia in the finals? They will be demolished.
This quake very close to Everest base camp.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Pale Ale posted:

Yeah. Namche Bazar. I just fired up Google Earth. Looks like it's about 16 miles away from Everest.

Edit: Ah, USGS says 68km west of Namche Bazar. Still close.

Meatwave fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 12, 2015

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Was there anyone stupid enough to have stayed on Everest? Even the sherpas should have been clear of this one shouldn't they?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Pale Ale posted:

The people higher on the death pool rub their hands in anticipation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
So are dudes at basecamp but not climbing higher or is basecamp evacuated too?

• Locked thread