Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Alright, I just finished my re-listen of the series. 4+5 are a lot more bearable once you know what to expect, and I quite enjoyed Dotrice's work throughout. Tywin Churchill, Victarion Dundee, and the Glaswegian Martells were great fun.

As for the books themselves, there was always a lot going on beneath the surface, the big difference is that the first three had a lot going on in plain sight too!

In conclusion, I'm very happy that I didn't find this series until 2009.

Now back to the Kanji.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

So much work and so worth it :3:

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Did Tyrion's boat trip actually take him to Valyria I can't remember poo poo.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Junkenstein posted:

They crossed the Rhoyne. No one in the books has been to Valyria.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

No Tyrion&JonCo&FakeAegon cross the Rhoyne to go south to from Pentos to Volantis (and they are attacked there) and then Tyrion get kidnapped by Mormont in Volantis and they board the Perfumed Fatguy with Moqorro the Red Priest and they go around Valyria while the volcanoes all start erupting. Then they are boarded and taken prisoners by the Slavers/pirates ship while the Red Priest is left floating on a wreck of their damaged ship (all while having visions with the volcanoes flames) before being found alive a week later by Victarion (who Moqorro heals ).

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Cool, that's what I thought. Showlyria was pretty disappointing.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Junkenstein posted:

Cool, that's what I thought. Showlyria was pretty disappointing.

I think the ghostly images of Valyria in ruins were pretty nice.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

OhYeah posted:

I think the ghostly images of Valyria in ruins were pretty nice.

Me too. I was pretty faded by that point but it seemed cool. The oar fight was dumb though.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

There was no way the show could have done Valyria the way it was in the books because Gurm's sense of scale is always preposterous. And show watchers might possibly have some memory of "Old Valyria", so using that name makes more sense than introducing yet another ruined fortress in the middle of nowhere.

The world Gurm built is still interesting and I like the complexity and depth of its history, but the show writers are a hell of a lot better at plotting. Was Gurm ever good at that? Does anyone remember actually watching Beauty and the Beast?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It felt like something out of Conan the barbarian. that one where he goes down this creepy river with some pirate crew and they get attacked in some abandoned temples.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

CaptainRightful posted:

The world Gurm built is still interesting and I like the complexity and depth of its history, but the show writers are a hell of a lot better at plotting. Was Gurm ever good at that? Does anyone remember actually watching Beauty and the Beast?

Have show-watchers experienced any tension this season? It doesn't seem like anything that would get by blood pumping as of yet - 5 episodes is a long time for so little payoff. I guess I suspect GRRM is going somewhere with his plots, but I have no idea if the show is and am (even) less inclined to trust them.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Why the hell is Gray Worm still alive and Barriatan dead? Do show watchers actually give a poo poo about the stupid slashfic subplot? What the hell, HBO?

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.
From having briefly peeked into the tviv thread, show watchers apparently believe that having an innocent man burned/eaten alive was a smart and good political move. So I wouldn't be surprised if they're really invested in the dull romance Z plot line too.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Blind Sally posted:

It felt like something out of Conan the barbarian. that one where he goes down this creepy river with some pirate crew and they get attacked in some abandoned temples.

Where do you think GRRM got the idea, or did you think Oberyn straight-up ripping off The Princess Bride was some sort-of coincidence?

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...
I work with a lady who hasn't read the books but watches the show and she not only likes Daario and hopes he marries Dany by heroically saving her from Hzidar but also didn't care Barristan died because he "seemed like he was all talk" :stare:

She is a huge Kelly C fan though and no matter what she does she is awesome!

She also doesn't like Iain Glenn's voice either.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

mind the walrus posted:

Where do you think GRRM got the idea, or did you think Oberyn straight-up ripping off The Princess Bride was some sort-of coincidence?

it felt pretty watered down and not really like Conan at all in the book. too many descriptions of cyvasse to detract from it. it at least felt like Conan on the show.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I'm so used to this show being connected scenes of two people talking in a dimly lit room that when, instead, it was two people talking outside, in a rowboat, during daylight hours, it felt sorta mindblowing.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

Hunky Joe posted:

not possible

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Hunky Joe posted:

I work with a lady who hasn't read the books but watches the show and she not only likes Daario and hopes he marries Dany by heroically saving her from Hzidar but also didn't care Barristan died because he "seemed like he was all talk" :stare:

Sounds like the platonic ideal of a Show Watcher.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

Mike N Eich posted:

not possible

She watches Downton Abbey and said it was probably because his character on there was "mean to Lady Mary" so she doesn't like him on GoT.

:shrug:

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

OhYeah posted:

I have a question. Is Dany supposed to be a loving maniac? In the books I would call her one of the good guys who just happens to be a bit incompetent, possibly due to her age, but the show is making her out to be a straight up schizophrenic. I mean one moment you burn a guy alive in front of your enemies, next moment you go and offer to marry one of them? It could work if there was something in the story to drive Dany towards that drastic change of mind, but nothing happened in that episode that would cause her to do that.

Am I the only one bothered by this?

I was ok with it. I saw it as her being furious, and taking a middle road between Daarios "drop the bomb" approach and Barristons... whatever his approach was. Basically she gave them a bit of of the fist beneath the velvet glove... which wasn't necessarily a bad move. In this case it won't work because the Masters have fallen too far to just give up, or even aquiesce at this point. She should keep them as hostages indefinitely.

Anyway, she loses her temper, goes "hard" on them, and then steps back, and realizes that won't do poo poo, and then goes for the marriage. Which isn't a bad proposal if you are actually going to try and integrate the Masters and Slaves. So it didn't seem schitzo to me, it just seemed like we did denial ( law always works ) anger ( gently caress em, burn em all ) , and then acceptance (I'll marry one of them and tie the Masters back into the power structure ).

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Have show-watchers experienced any tension this season? It doesn't seem like anything that would get by blood pumping as of yet - 5 episodes is a long time for so little payoff. I guess I suspect GRRM is going somewhere with his plots, but I have no idea if the show is and am (even) less inclined to trust them.

Hunky Joe posted:

She watches Downton Abbey and said it was probably because his character on there was "mean to Lady Mary" so she doesn't like him on GoT.

:shrug:

Hunky Joe posted:

If you look at GoT as a soap opera, lots of slow moving plot, pontificating, and posturing is par for the course. In fact, much like a soap, there is no "ending" ... just season finales, people who die and come back to life, and a million loving characters you can't keep track of. ( Oh Maester Aegon is ACTUALLY Daenery's uncle, but he is blind and gave up the kingdom, and lives in secret in the North! ) You could run the GoT soap opera for ever...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hunky Joe posted:

She's like a poo poo opinion collector.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I can keep track of them!!!

that's great-great-great uncle okay

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

kcroy posted:

Oh Maester Aegon is ACTUALLY Daenery's uncle, but he is blind and gave up the kingdom, and lives in secret in the North!

After the last episode I'm just waiting for people to start calling him Maester Raymond.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

kcroy posted:

If you look at GoT as a soap opera, lots of slow moving plot, pontificating, and posturing is par for the course. In fact, much like a soap, there is no "ending" ... just season finales, people who die and come back to life, and a million loving characters you can't keep track of. ( Oh Maester Aegon is ACTUALLY Daenery's uncle, but he is blind and gave up the kingdom, and lives in secret in the North! ) You could run the GoT soap opera for ever...

I am sure by season 8 I will be rooting for Ramsey.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

This year I got a friend hooked on GoT, who is a massive TV/movie geek (but very selective about what he watches). He doesn't seem to be too impressed with season 5, though. Today he wrote to me in Skype: "had to pause the episode every two minutes and go to something else for a while, because I was bored out of my mind".

visceril posted:

Why the hell is Gray Worm still alive and Barriatan dead? Do show watchers actually give a poo poo about the stupid slashfic subplot? What the hell, HBO?

This is a decision that I cannot understand on any level. Barristan has been there since season 1, he is an interesting and an important character in the story played by a good actor and crucially, not at all dead in the books. So what the gently caress, HBO?

savinhill posted:

I'm so used to this show being connected scenes of two people talking in a dimly lit room that when, instead, it was two people talking outside, in a rowboat, during daylight hours, it felt sorta mindblowing.

And in some shots you couldn't almost tell that it was filmed against a blue screen!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OhYeah posted:

This is a decision that I cannot understand on any level. Barristan has been there since season 1, he is an interesting and an important character in the story played by a good actor and crucially, not at all dead in the books. So what the gently caress, HBO?

Was he there during Season 2?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

OhYeah posted:

Barristan likely doesn't have a real role in future storylines, while Grey Worm does (cause the whole "former slave learning to be a person" schtick isn't tired at all).

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

OhYeah posted:

grrm probably killed off barristan at some point anyway, they are just compressing storyline.

very curious to see what happens to her after she flies off on drogon. she could probably go get a new khalasar, rex poo poo in mereen. maybe she shows up and barristan and greyworm are dead due to the seige, daario bretrayed her, and that triggers her to go apeshit and burn the city. I mean she has nothing left at that point except vengeance and her birthright back in ole westeros

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

kcroy posted:

grrm probably killed off barristan at some point anyway, they are just compressing storyline.

95% chance Barristan is the character GRRM had a breakthrough about using in a new and important way recently. Is this just to spite the show? Who knows.

Barristan is Tyrion's dad. He had an affair with Tywin's wife while he was Hand.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Barristan was actively getting poo poo done in Meereen and not doing sweet gently caress all and that's just not acceptable.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

PittTheElder posted:

After the last episode I'm just waiting for people to start calling him Maester Raymond.

goddamn that is painful.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I know social media is a terrible judge but I try to gauge how well the show is doing by Twitter comments on HBO's Twitter for Game of Thrones and by far this season is the absolute most biting commentary from fans. There are still one or two adamant fanboys but by far the majority are ripping into the show. Before this season the show was infallible and people would literally leap in front of a train to defend their waifu show!

The Sand Snakes in particular are getting hammered hard by comments. People said their scene was by and far the most awful thing ever. I can tell most people are book readers on the Twitter though because they posted a House Martell lineage thing and nearly everyone flipped poo poo about no Quentyn or Arianne.

And I know someone asked about show watchers getting any tension and by far there have been lots of comments about how boing the season is and how there's little action and people are losing interest fast.

Quick, HBO! Kill off more characters or show more tits! Hell, send in a Jaime undercarriage shot for the ladies!

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

kcroy posted:

very curious to see what happens to her after she flies off on drogon.

She looses her poo poo all over the dothraki sea.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have no idea how anyone could have watched anything with the Sand Snakes and actually say "ok, that's good, let's use it."

It's so bad that Karly C looks good because of it.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

"Ha! They say our show is nothing but two people talking in poorly lit rooms. We'll show them! Four people talking outdoors in a tent on a beach! :smug:"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

5 people.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I know how HBO can fix it. Combine the last 2 books into 1 15-episode season.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The best part of that episode was Maester Aemon saying "a targaryaen alone in the world is a terribe thing" and then Jon walks in right then like Joe Biden in the "did somebody say X!?" meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
Anyone have a link to that golden hand/goblet youtube?