Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BSam
Nov 24, 2012

In It For The Tank posted:

The tag is amazing.

I agree, let's all give it a big hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

Nadir speech for the win! Solid episode - when was the last time things got this delightfully meta? I think that the last 2 episodes, before tonight's, will probably be considered the low point (nadir, sorry) of an otherwise excellent season of Community, like the last two episodes of Season 5, or the first quarter of the first season, excepting the pilot. Matt Besser's closing tag was amazing too.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I loved that. Also jesus christ, that tag.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Kumail next week!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
This season has been excellent overall, but it's amazing how much the show has changed since season one. I watched the pilot and first few episodes last night, and it's literally a different show. Not better or worse, just evolved into something else tonally. Which I think is pretty good and rare for a show to do, as opposed to hitting the same beats over and over again. Not everything lands perfectly, but I have to give it to Harmon and the writers for doing as much as they can to keep things fresh.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Great Matt Besser cameo. Now all this show needs is an Amy Poehler cameo.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

It obviously wasn't going to happen, but I was seriously rooting for Abed to fall off the camper and die. The tag was good though.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Spacebump posted:

Great Matt Besser cameo. Now all this show needs is an Amy Poehler cameo.
Parks and Rec never had Tina Few show up so my hope for Amy-Poehler crossovers is low. :smith:

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
That was Danielle Schneider playing his wife too, who's his irl wife, and also a pretty great improviser.

I loved this episode, and overall have really enjoyed this season. It's not the same Community, but even evolved it's a funny show. Paget Brewster and Keith David have been wonderful additions performance wise. Sure it's a little forced, but they're funny.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 12, 2015

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

In It For The Tank posted:

I liked the episode but I don't want anymore Abed episodes.

Yarp, it was modestly original early on but lately whenever they've leaned too hard on the meta gimmick it's become clear that the writers conceptualize things completely in terms of formulas and tropes. When the backbones show too much in the draft, they just wave it off with Abed saying a thing.

Still got a few laughs out of me so I can't complain too much. Keith and Paget have certainly been doing more than just pulling their own weight.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I like Keith David but drat Paget Brewster just fits in so well with everybody. It's like she's been here since season one.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hard counter posted:

Yarp, it was modestly original early on but lately whenever they've leaned too hard on the meta gimmick it's become clear that the writers conceptualize things completely in terms of formulas and tropes. When the backbones show too much in the draft, they just wave it off with Abed saying a thing.

I really disliked Abed all episode until Frankie pitched the "this is the flashback" angle to him. I don't know if it made the whole thing funny, but it was a great idea.

Britta had the best line of the episode, about rerouting Kennedy's parade.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

prefect posted:

That got a guffaw from me.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Community is the high-water mark of TV shows being about themselves, and this ep is an example of that working.

Edit: Topanga Canyon looks nice at night!

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 13, 2015

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

That tag was really fun

Cybershell
Jun 12, 2007

I hold all of you in the highest contempt
This ep was funny and good. Not the best episode ever or anything but this season has been so much better than the last two seasons. I really hope it gets renewed for another season, not just because I actually want another season but because I want Irish Joe to suffer.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

prefect posted:

I really disliked Abed all episode until Frankie pitched the "this is the flashback" angle to him. I don't know if it made the whole thing funny, but it was a great idea.

I agree on all counts.

Despite my critiques these past three eps this really has been the most consistently solid season imho.

I have a feeling it's because they never really knew what to do with Pierce or Shirley. Now we have a more confidently written Paget and Keith.

Jonathan Banks was good while he lasted as well.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
The Abed stuff wasn't working for me until the Dean flashback. I lost my poo poo at the utterly pointless taser.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Frankie and Elroy have quickly become the best members of the study group, with Britta pacing them close behind.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

HD DAD posted:

This season has been excellent overall, but it's amazing how much the show has changed since season one. I watched the pilot and first few episodes last night, and it's literally a different show. Not better or worse, just evolved into something else tonally. Which I think is pretty good and rare for a show to do, as opposed to hitting the same beats over and over again. Not everything lands perfectly, but I have to give it to Harmon and the writers for doing as much as they can to keep things fresh.
I just rewatched the pilot for the first time, and I love that one of the very first bits is the Dean accidentally playing the "I'm as high as hell and you're about to get shot" song that was used this season in Ladders. I hadn't remembered it at all.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Martman posted:

I just rewatched the pilot for the first time, and I love that one of the very first bits is the Dean accidentally playing the "I'm as high as hell and you're about to get shot" song that was used this season in Ladders. I hadn't remembered it at all.
It's also been used in the season three finale tag, at the end of Leonard's food review.

edit: now with 87% more video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbuPT1ai98I

pwn fucked around with this message at 08:00 on May 13, 2015

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The only flashback that worked for me was the one where Abed breaks down exactly why the story needs a flashback structure.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
For some reason, between it being Episode 10 and all the talk about learning to let go and hold onto things with the hand, I assumed this was the last episode, glad to see there's at least one more. I did think it was odd to end on the giant everyday object family.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying this season, although I don't think there's any episode ever I've actively disliked.

Also, Annie > Britta.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
the Matt Berry episode was great, this latest was awful. none of yes have a decent sense of humour

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I hated both. That was literally bad TV and the 28 minute running time is insufferable.

Jeff's reaction to Britta squeezing through a giant hand was funny. But that was the only gag I even remember in the entire ep.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

VagueRant posted:

I hated both. That was literally bad TV and the 28 minute running time is insufferable.

Yeah, given how weak the stories and the jokes have been this season, a shorter running time would have worked in this season's favor. There's just so much material that screams "DVD Extra."

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Am I the only one who only liked Abed and the dean this episode?

I guess the scene where Jeff was trying to finish Elroy's explanations was also funny.

MrData
Jun 28, 2008

VagueRant posted:

Jeff's reaction to Britta squeezing through a giant hand was funny. But that was the only gag I even remember in the entire ep.

No Jeff, it's not weird if you think that's hot.

The Dean's line about the van swallowing the needle to use as fuel was hilarious to me, for some reason.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Rexides posted:

Am I the only one who only liked Abed and the dean this episode?

I guess the scene where Jeff was trying to finish Elroy's explanations was also funny.

This is the fourth time you've told me not to flood something: it doesn't apply to our situation.

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
It reminded me of how Veep did a similar joke this week, and how veep is about 10,000x better

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

Bitter Mushroom posted:

It reminded me of how Veep did a similar joke this week, and how veep is about 10,000x better

Continue watching Veep and stop watching this show. Happy to help.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
When the dean started freaking out about the fuel, I did hope for an Airplane! episode. Abed willing flashbacks into existence was funny though.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Surely the tag made everything worthwhile.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Oh snap I forgot Veep was back

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I laughed so hard at Future-Britta's weird arm pump.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

anatomi posted:

I laughed so hard at Future-Britta's weird arm pump.

This and Matt Besser; otherwise, bland as gently caress.

VagueRant posted:

the 28 minute running time is insufferable.

This was particularly noticeable on this episode where almost nothing happened and none of the story or jokes were earned.

There have been some good jokes throughout the season and I still enjoy the characters (for the most part -- Abed's schtick is grating), but let's put this show to bed now.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Naet posted:

There have been some good jokes throughout the season and I still enjoy the characters (for the most part -- Abed's schtick is grating), but let's put this show to bed now.

Why is Abed irritating now, when he was great before? The obvious answer would be the loss of Troy, I think. Without somebody to be meta with, he ends up pushing his meta onto the whole group, and it doesn't work as well.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
They stopped toeing the line of Abed's meta-ness when they had him turn to the camera and speak directly to the audience at the end of season 5. The flashback things were a little much in this, but they were also really repetitive and annoying and completely pointless.

I'm surprised the tags this season are so popular. They all feel like Family Guy cutaway gags and are weirdly dull. I remember when we had fun times with the study group, and clever, inventive Spanish raps instead of "it's like a parody of promo for a TV show but it's WACKY and ZANY because that's still funny the third time, right?"

Naet posted:

This was particularly noticeable on this episode where almost nothing happened and none of the story or jokes were earned.
What even was the intention of the incredibly dragged out scene where Keith David very slowly finds the nest of charging phones while being in ironic denial that the group could be that stupid? It went on for so long with its obvious conclusion and lack of a punchline.

You talk about them earning the story, here we've got an Almost-Bottle-Episode where the characters continue to act like terrible, unreasonable children and bicker for no good reason. You look back at Cooperative Caligraphy in season 2 and you can totally relate to the characters, they have sensible reasons to be angry with each other that all stem from their unique characterisation.

This season every time the group argue it's just noise.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Great episode, loved it. I'm glad we finally got a camping one... Sorta. It was nice having them out of the study room + Greendale, even if it was just in front of a green screen most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

VagueRant posted:

I'm surprised the tags this season are so popular. They all feel like Family Guy cutaway gags and are weirdly dull. I remember when we had fun times with the study group, and clever, inventive Spanish raps instead of "it's like a parody of promo for a TV show but it's WACKY and ZANY because that's still funny the third time, right?"

The tags are great because they don't overstay their welcome as much as the main cast has at this point.

As for the season more generally, I should probably take back some of what I've said about the show being bad because Harmon's checked out. I think the Abed stories are peak Harmon, and yet another story of the study group heroically enabling Abed's psychotic break from reality is the dumbest poo poo in the world.

• Locked thread