Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sockington posted:

Snagged a good deal on a used classic vibe.

:fap:

My former bandmate had one exactly like that. Those are real beauties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sockington posted:

Looks a lot like mine. Welcome to the club! Have fun laughing at everyone spending thousands on vintage teles to get lesser guitars than you've got.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

:hfive: BSB CV50s tele bros

Seriously a fantastic guitar, and nails that classic "tele" sound I've had in my head better than anything else I've ever picked up.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
You got one that looks bookmatched, congrats. Mine is a gigantic pile of horseshit that's only redeeming value is the fact that the pickups sound nice.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

unlawfulsoup posted:

You got one that looks bookmatched, congrats. Mine is a gigantic pile of horseshit that's only redeeming value is the fact that the pickups sound nice.

I'm finding it pretty drat awesome. At times I'm wanting a touch more from the bridge pickup but doubt I'll do much to it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
change to 1meg pots.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Sockington posted:

I'm finding it pretty drat awesome. At times I'm wanting a touch more from the bridge pickup but doubt I'll do much to it.

Have you reached the limits of what you can achieve with a screwdriver?

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

the mastery bridge looks neat, but i dont think its designed for use with a wound g string. however playing nice heavy strings i think the bridge cover i ordered should do the trick, the strings are pretty stable except when muting
the mastery vibratos cool and its funny that they removed the locking mechanism which always seemed like just another pita to get to during setup
i didnt even bother taking the vibrato off last night, i think thatll help with the arm issues

I haven't heard that but I don't doubt it. Mastery is the Klon of the offset world. It suffers from the same height screw thread slipping issue as the stock Fender bridges. Get a Staytrem if you absolutely have to get satisfaction from putting an expensive piece of metal on your guitar. I've never had an issue with installing AllParts' Modified Mustang bridges.

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

yeah, i taped up the headstock to file the old nut down, figured no use taking it off til after i put the new nut on cuz ill still need it then

what up monolith burger how you like my ketchup guitar? it goes with this funky old yellow tele ive always called mustard

Ah, I see. Be sure to cut along the nut with a sharp blade before you remove it or you'll have a fun time repairing the chip-out and lacquer!!

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Sockington posted:

I grabbed one of these from Sweetwater based on the entire internet semenating about how great it was. I gave it a good try for about a week, but it felt and sounded like complete poo poo. Maybe they're hit or miss.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

OhDearGodNo posted:

I grabbed one of these from Sweetwater based on the entire internet semenating about how great it was. I gave it a good try for about a week, but it felt and sounded like complete poo poo. Maybe they're hit or miss.

This one is four years old. The frets are in great shape and show no signs of wear. The body does have a good heft to it that puts it close to my chambered Gibson LPJ. The neck is absolutely perfect for me.

I found I basically had to dime the gain and roll the tone back to get a thick and tight sound from my Marshall Plexi clone while using the bridge. I've played with the height a little bit for the pickup.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

it is time

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

6534+ :colbert:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i've got a jsx that can pull the el34 end. plus america superior to england

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.

EVH 5150 :colbert:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Recently I bought a Blackstar HT Stage with the dual 12 inch speakers, I really like it. It's really really flexible and pretty much any tone I want is in there somewhere.

Audio Interface for Cubase etc, again, I like this, loads of connections and performs well after a firmware update:

Buttkicker - I got this a little while back now but put it here because it's just straight up awesome for anything audio related, a real surprise hit. You can practice bass and feel like you have it really loud without bothering anyone else:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Loving the Peavey Amp chat.

Except I have the right ones. :smug:

Kerpal
Jul 20, 2003

Well that's weird.
From what I've heard, the Peavey Classic was a great if you need a neutral tone that will later by colored by effects. Judging by your setup, I'm guessing this is true?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
without an eddie amp, you really dont

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

that carvin in the middle always makes me grin

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ferroque posted:

that carvin in the middle always makes me grin
Yeah that little Carvin is a gift from my bassist. He painted the face on it because he was giving it to his daugher. She was a little girl and it pleased her. Now it pleases me, but it's not part of the rig. At 150 watts with compression built-in, I just put a Tech-21 V-Bass pedal in front of it and it sounds fantastic.

As far as the P. Classics go, you just need to crank them up or/and put some gain in front.
You don't need effects. I mean, if you want classic EVH tone you need a Phase 90, maybe a little delay, but not much else.

I don't know what muike means when he says, "without an eddie amp, you really dont," but the first time I put an Ibanez TS-10 in front of my Classic 50 I *had* an "Eddie Amp." I mean, minus the Phasor it was Van Halen 1.

Putting two together was tone Nirvana. I bought a TS-9 reissue but I found it squashed my high end so I went with the Tube Driver instead. :shrug:

Basically, the Classic 50 circuit has the same characteristics as the 5150. It's bright and loud, but in more of a VOX way than a Marshall way. It sounds loving hot as hell and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

Don't make me post clips, because I'll do that poo poo.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 08:13 on May 12, 2015

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
The sound clip demos on their website lured me in:

But I think mine might have something wrong with it; it hums at a low B note whenever it's on, which can be heard under the sound of the guitar while playing. Not exactly something a Decimator can fix... I've been meaning to take a quick video demo and email them about it but I've had the flu for a week. :barf:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
What the hell.

In 1999 I was just learning to use a PC to record (this was a really big loving deal after using cassette and 1/2" tape for so long) and so I took one of EVH's signature pieces and tried to kinda replicate it. I used, I poo poo you not, an old Roland Dr. Rhythm for all the drums and bass guitar. I didn't even try to sing it.

What I am sharing with you is that old cover. I am responsible for the lovely (programmed, not performed) bass part, the kinda passable drums (for 1999), and the sloppy guitar playing on strings so dirty you HEAR how rusty they are.

The guitar:

That's a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge.

Yes, I know there's too much reverb and the EQ is probably horrible. Adjust if you can. Listen to it as loud as possible for that old Faustus vibe. Or don't. Your call.

I was just getting used to the idea that you didn't need a Tascam to record. I share this because that's the Peavey Classic 50 with a phasor and probably an Ibanez TS-9 Tube Screamer (reissue) mic'ed up and hiding in my apartment bedroom closet. Is it EVH? Maybe not. Is it passable? I think so. (P.S.The "Classical" tag was a joke.)

My (instrumental) cover of the tune (please remember this was 1999):

Not sure why it won't stream, but you're probably better off for that. Does Tindeck not allow streaming anymore? I upgraded, but it looks like the option is to download, only.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 19:22 on May 12, 2015

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That's pretty good faustus!! Especially for home recording in '99.

The JB is such a great pickup when anyone but me uses it

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
I loved my old Dr. Rhythm. So many lovely grind demos made with that thing.

RIP good buddy.

Also I thought I was crazy for thinking all this time the Classic 30/50 got closer to Eddie's sound than the 5150. Same guy designed both of them, but still.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It probably does but a lot of it depends on how you play and how you EQ it. God I'm so sick of saying/hearing that but it's so true.

The 5150 is better though because it's a metal machine.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Wonder how much longer they're gonna keep making their flagship amps in the US.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I hear they treat their workers pretty poorly as well.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Yeah I just got done watching their episode of Undercover Boss. And of course Hartley is a hardcore teabagger.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It's a shame because I'd really like to support an american music company that has reasonably priced products.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
It seems like Carvin's the last holdout in that regard.

And their non-PA stuff, despite being well-made is either kinda lackluster (amps) or dorky as poo poo (guitars).

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
A lot of their guitars aren't really that bad. I wish the new headless model was more conventional and used the J Custom system, at least on the 6 strings, but it's already pretty niche as is.

And I wish I understood the Kiesel thing a little bit better.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
what's the deal with Washburn? I know they make Parker stuff and apparently they're the US shop for Strandbergs, but I have no idea what the quality there is

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

That's pretty good faustus!! Especially for home recording in '99.

The JB is such a great pickup when anyone but me uses it
I kept the JB gain and moved away from the mids boost with the SD Custom Custom. I love that pickup.
It's especially gratifying to get any praise from muike, dude calls it like he sees (hears) it; and I respect him for that even when he's telling me I'm being a douche (I know I'm a douche, I'm working on it).

I remember my Dad talking about Peavey. About what a great company they were because he's from Missouri and drat he loved Hartley (yes apparently Peavey is based in Mississippi, don't ask me). I guess Dad just liked that they were sort of an American working-class product from an American working-class company. I'm not surprised if Hartley's a jerk. I imagine that sort of thing gets worse over time.

All I can say is my two amps (Blues Classic, 1x15" combo, Classic 50, 4x10" combo, identical circuitry) have been dropped off stages, haven't been tubed since like 1994; and apart from a broken handle they still do everything I want from them. Bear in mind I've had them for decades+ and I got rid of a huge rig for them, just after putting my friend's TS-10 in front of that Classic 50, dry, and freaking the gently caress out.

I'm interested in the 5150 line and its successors, but I really don't need all that gain, weight, and bulk. My apartment neighbors wouldn't bear it and I don't have a gig anyway. I just play my POD HD now, through a little amp and a pair of Sony bookshelf speakers.

Well, I'm rambling and probably getting douchey, so I'll shut up. Thanks, muike. Now, if I could just get some good vocals on that track it would be less laughable (I hope). Time to re-drum with EZ Drummer or Superior Drummer, and put a real bass performance on it. Someday, maybe. "I'm The One" is my go-to VH song when I want to show some old VH cred.

Ignore me, I'm just that guy who can't shut up about this stuff.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
bruh

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Since this is the purchases thread, I just want to bitch about the fact that, while putting a PA together is loving expensive, it's all the loving little poo poo that just kills you in the end.

That said, it's already paying for itself, and if anyone's doing a show around Alabama and need sound, let me know and I'll hook you up, but Jesus loving CHRIST.

I haven't even started looking at lights yet. :smith:

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

comes along bort posted:

It seems like Carvin's the last holdout in that regard.

And their non-PA stuff, despite being well-made is either kinda lackluster (amps) or dorky as poo poo (guitars).

Here's my dorky as poo poo bass that just came today.

It plays so god drat well I'm in love with it.

stealth edit: there's like no lights in this room my cell phone can't get a decent pic of the finish.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Buhbuhj posted:

Here's my dorky as poo poo bass that just came today.

I think you spelled awesome wrong

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Hollis Brownsound posted:

I think you spelled awesome wrong

Seriously, "dorky" is the last word I would have come up with. It looks great and I'd shamelessly play the hell out of it.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Yeah that's probably the least obnoxious Carvin I've seen in a good while, half-chub headstock notwithstanding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

muike posted:

It's a shame because I'd really like to support an american music company that has reasonably priced products.

Does Randall count? Their prices aren't perfect but I think they're well made, sound real good, and as a company (afaik) they work with the community to improve and move forward in a smart way. I could be completely wrong but they've been on my good side for a while now. The Satan amp is gnarly.

e: amps I had in mind are made in china, hmph

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 14, 2015