Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

LOU BEGAS MUSTACHE posted:

to put that in perspective he bought about 1.5k in food a month in groceries. not eating out. regular rear end groceries.

I understand the governor and his family is bound to have lots of guests and such but I cannot fathom going through $1500 worth of food per month unless you're feeding half a dozen people the most expensive and overpriced poo poo you can get your hands on. Is Wegman's really expensive or what? Christie strikes me as the "honey hit Costco and buy me a pallet of ground meat, pastries, and hot pockets" kind of guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I don't think anybody in the know really thought the official story was 100% true just due to the usual intelligence fuckery, but that's a pretty far cry from buying the whole ludicrous quintuple conspiracy Hersh line.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Pinterest Mom posted:

:rip: The Christie campaign. Being corrupt is one thing, but being corrupt and ridiculous is another.

http://watchdog.org/217942/christie-nj-expense-account/

Somehow all I can picture is Rob Reiner storming in yelling "300 loving thousand dollars on deserts!?"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Evil Fluffy posted:

I understand the governor and his family is bound to have lots of guests and such but I cannot fathom going through $1500 worth of food per month unless you're feeding half a dozen people the most expensive and overpriced poo poo you can get your hands on. Is Wegman's really expensive or what? Christie strikes me as the "honey hit Costco and buy me a pallet of ground meat, pastries, and hot pockets" kind of guy.

Nah, Wegman's is like upper-mid-range prices at most.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

ManifunkDestiny posted:

NBC is backing up parts of Hersh's story on the death of UBL. How much is this going to damage Hillary's candidacy?

To the extent it reminds people she was Sec State when the U.S. Government killed Bin Laden, net positive.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Ohtsam posted:

HEB while awesome, based a bunch of their store layouts and procedures on wegmans iirc.

This is good life advice in general, and thank you for teaching me the brighter path.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I hope this isn't enough to torpedo the Christie campaign. There have been decent indications that he has some very nasty skeletons in very shallow graves just waiting to get dug up and it would be a shame if spending comical amounts of state dollars on food was all we got out of his time in the spotlight.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The first Republican primary debate will take place on August 6th at the Quicken Loans arena in Cleveland, Ohio. It will be hosted by Fox News.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

The first Republican primary debate will take place on August 6th at the Quicken Loans arena in Cleveland, Ohio. It will be hosted by Fox News.

:catstare: that is certainly the kind of venue you'd expect.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I can't wait to see who made the list.

It's jumping in front of the Reagan Library debate, too.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo, I live ~30 minutes away and I want to go watch this nonsense.

How does one get tickets to such an event?

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

I'm ready

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Slate would like to remind you about the sort of people the eventual Republican candidate will have to woo in the third nomination contest in January.

quote:

The moderator, pollster Frank Luntz, handed the microphone to a woman from the audience. He asked her what she wanted from the candidates. She said she had once been a Democrat but had seen the light and switched parties. “People are coming in this country across the borders like rats and roaches in the woodpile,” she fumed. The audience applauded. She complained that states were registering people to vote and failing to “check them out.” “We’ve got to get control,” she demanded. When she was done, Luntz asked the crowd: “How many of you would vote for her for president?” The room erupted in cheers.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

If you ever listen to Austin newsradio (don't), the head of the HEB family Howard Butt Jr. puts on semi-reliougs, slyly sexist and anti-worker 30-second radio ads nearly every week. Check one out!

http://www.thehighcalling.org/articles/audio/no-smiley-face-icon

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Best part of the documentary Caucus is a lengthy unbroken shot of Rick Santorum having to nod uncomfortably while a woman and her family tell him about how the US needs to start killing people who cross the border.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

That article is legitimately horrifying.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

EXAKT Science
Aug 14, 2012

8 on the Kinsey scale

This is some vile poo poo.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Oh man. "immigration, the backbone of America for the last 200+ years, is now a BAD thing and we should STOP them from coming here! America for Americans descendants of white Europeans!"

:smith:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I think at this point, the best bet for the RNC is to just forfeit the election now and start their rebranding effort early.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

I think at this point, the best bet for the RNC is to just forfeit the election now and start their rebranding effort early.

Doesn't that require the RNC or the average GOP voter to have the ability of self-reflection? They can't even identify that what these people are saying in public is even a problem.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

by exmarx

Fulchrum posted:

Are you assuming this isn't working as intended? The GOP's position on issues is, sadly, still no where as extreme as American conservatism has been in the past. It's still horrifying, but man, it could be so much worse.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

A sentient toupee posted:

“Mexico? The worst. What they’re doing to us on the border is incredible. It’s incredible. People coming over like a sieve, and they’re taking our jobs.” The audience cheered as Trump promised to slap a 35 percent tax on cars made in Mexico: “We’re not gonna let you come across with the illegals, the cars. We got everything coming across: We got illegals, we got free cars ...” He concluded: “I would build the greatest wall you have ever seen. The greatest. You know who’s gonna pay for the wall? Mexico.” The crowd roared.

The yoogest wall.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 12, 2015

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
I really wish someone important in Mexico would publicly tell that guy to go gently caress himself.

"We're gonna pay for a giant border wall? :laffo: Yeah sure thing buddy."

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Honestly, Trump should run. He has that Palin quality of being perfectly in tune with the insane, hateful lizard brain of the GOP base, and his campaign would put the Republican field in the uncomfortable position of having to confront his bug-eyed insane solutions.

I mean, getting Mexico to pay for a border wall, that's gold. He'd probably tell Iraq and Afghanistan they have to start paying taxes, too, as payback for all the work America did liberating them.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
lol if Trump runs I will eat my hat

or a toupee

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
also, nafta

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Aliquid posted:

If you ever listen to Austin newsradio (don't), the head of the HEB family Howard Butt Jr. puts on semi-reliougs, slyly sexist and anti-worker 30-second radio ads nearly every week. Check one out!

http://www.thehighcalling.org/articles/audio/no-smiley-face-icon

Butt is an rear end in a top hat, unfortunately you can't not give him money if you live in the Austin area and want to, you know, have food in your house. It's like TurboTax every April.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Jon Stewart will curse the skies that he chose now to retire.

Neeksy posted:

Doesn't that require the RNC or the average GOP voter to have the ability of self-reflection? They can't even identify that what these people are saying in public is even a problem.

They know that saying it in public is a problem, they just never figured out how to make candidates stop doing it. The GOPe at least have the awareness to know every time a candidate suggests that white people be allowed to go into minority neighborhoods and hunt them for sport, they suffer at the polls. They just think it wouldn't do so if they called it a second amendment community togetherness program.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Butt is an rear end in a top hat,

How appropriate.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

Jon Stewart will curse the skies that he chose now to retire.

I don't think Jon Stewart enjoys covering this kind of stuff. In most of the interviews where he gets asked about whether or not he feels like he chose a bad time to retire because of the election, he often indicates that he doesn't really enjoy covering that kind of awfulness.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Neeksy posted:

I don't think Jon Stewart enjoys covering this kind of stuff. In most of the interviews where he gets asked about whether or not he feels like he chose a bad time to retire because of the election, he often indicates that he doesn't really enjoy covering that kind of awfulness.

Yeah, but that ain't Trump. I don't think he was being disingenuous when he did this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/05/18/jon-stewart-donald-trump-video_n_863461.html

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
More realistic, though still ridiculous, is Trump being somebody's VP choice. Send the man out and let him do what he does best: tell people what they want to hear.

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Neeksy posted:

"though Cato have no need of Rome, yet Rome has need of Cato, and so likewise have all his friends."

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

lol stadiums have corporate sponsors, game set and match, pubs

Vagon
Oct 22, 2005

Teehee!
Before I continue: Trump is an evil, vile liar merely begging for attention with his statements.

That said, when he claimed Mexico would pay for the law, I believe he meant through the 'car tax' he mentioned beforehand. Otherwise I don't know what the gently caress.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Neeksy posted:

Doesn't that require the RNC or the average GOP voter to have the ability of self-reflection?

Hmmm yes, they should take a page from the left's anti-1% playbook evidenced by staunchly ignoring the massive sums thrown at the Clintons over the last decade.

Dems are the only party to ever achieve that Vulcan-like mental self-acuity, it's true.

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

Neeksy posted:

That article is legitimately horrifying.

Solid Poopsnake posted:

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

EXAKT Science posted:

This is some vile poo poo.

And the thing is, that post is written by William loving Saletan, defender of Charles Murray and The Bell Curve and very not progressive on immigration. But even he can see that this stuff is "not good", to put it mildly.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Hmmm yes, they should take a page from the left's anti-1% playbook evidenced by staunchly ignoring the massive sums thrown at the Clintons over the last decade.

Dems are the only party to ever achieve that Vulcan-like mental self-acuity, it's true.

hillary lied, ben ghazi died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I want Carlos Slim to throw a pile of his mega-conglomerate money in front of these people and tell them that the candidate to suck up to Mexico the most will get it.

• Locked thread