Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

tsa posted:

Why post in a debate forum if you obviously hate debate? Like how pathetic.

I felt like it was about time to start matching effort-level in my posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

tsa posted:

I don't think you realize how many jobs are a couple dollars an hour away from being turned into a robot. You should look into that.

Are you implying we should keep wages low to keep people working? Why? If $7.25/h isn't enough to live we're not doing anybody any favors by keeping them working.

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
Like in the age where we are seeing impressive leaps in robotic technology and automation it's really shocking to me how many are going to latch themselves onto the dying ship that is the minimum wage. Advocate GMI or something that is actually going to help the poor.

That's also the problem with all these studies people are trying to dig up, all of them are based on assumptions that are quickly becoming farcical. It's a pretty common problem with labor movements- all of the methods are based on the success of movements that happened before people had telephones. It's really silly when you think about it.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

tsa posted:

Like in the age where we are seeing impressive leaps in robotic technology and automation it's really shocking to me how many are going to latch themselves onto the dying ship that is the minimum wage. Advocate GMI or something that is actually going to help the poor.

That's also the problem with all these studies people are trying to dig up, all of them are based on assumptions that are quickly becoming farcical.

I'm all for abolishing money as a concept altogether, but I believe that increasing the minimum wage will do more to help people in the short term than doing nothing (since that's what's going to happen if I go on rants about how money is pointless).

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

tsa posted:

Maybe we'd just like to see something happen sometime in the next decade, rather than probably not in our lifetimes.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

VideoTapir posted:

Maybe we'd just like to see something happen sometime in the next decade, rather than probably not in our lifetimes.

--something said about pot legalization, gay marriage, black president, etc.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

tsa posted:

I don't think you realize how many jobs are a couple dollars an hour away from being turned into a robot. You should look into that.

This new Proxy Luddite movement is fascinating.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Series DD Funding posted:

Right, let's just ignore all the decades of work that went into making these things happen and just pretend like one day everyone decided to make one big sweeping change.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

tsa posted:

That's also the problem with all these studies people are trying to dig up, all of them are based on assumptions that are quickly becoming farcical. It's a pretty common problem with labor movements- all of the methods are based on the success of movements that happened before people had telephones. It's really silly when you think about it.

I guess we definitely wouldn't want to find ourselves in a position where we don't have jobs anymore and because you only get to change the law one time we used up our one change on a minimum wage when instead the true path was to push the "jobs and robots" legislation of 2015.

Or maybe we can cross that bridge when we get to it and in the meantime this is fine too.

Just sayin'

reignofevil fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 12, 2015

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Yes and I'm glad the at the possibility of the first two stopped people from doing anything else to improve those situations over the decades they've been working on them. I'm glad all those activists realized, "oh think of what will be available to us in the future I'm glad we don't want to achieve any marginal changes in the meantime in fear of harming our cause!"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

tsa posted:

That's happening right now anyway.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

ElCondemn posted:

Right, let's just ignore all the decades of work that went into making these things happen and just pretend like one day everyone decided to make one big sweeping change.

What work? I decided to support gay marriage last year and now look, almost the whole country allows it. Easy as cake.

Also we're now arguing robots are the downside of minimum wage increases? Bad enough when it was just illegals taking my job, now it's robots!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUQMvlH39XA

The job is MINE you hear me! MINE! :argh:

Mo_Steel fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 12, 2015

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Mo_Steel posted:

What work? I decided to support gay marriage last year and now look, almost the whole country allows it. Easy as cake.

Also we're now arguing robots are the downside of minimum wage increases? Bad enough when it was just illegals taking my job, now it's robots!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUQMvlH39XA

The job is MINE you hear me?! MINE! :argh:

Now the illegals are working with the robots? Where is this country heading?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lmlXZ_-320

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

VitalSigns posted:

if you drove 65,000,000,0000 mph you'd destroy a whole city!"

Quoting this from twenty pages ago because the extra zero at the end had me giggling like an idiot for a good five minutes. One of those things other people want to know what's funny but there is zero chance they'd get why you're laughing.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Something said about these things decades ago.

And these aren't things with a clear alternative other than the status quo.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

tsa posted:

Automation could very well create a crisis that's either solvable with mincome and a radical restructuring of American work, or incredible brutality, and it'll do that regardless of whether we raise the minimum wage now or not.

Maybe in a few decades when we're dealing with these crises, we'll all look back and say "gosh darnit, if only we hadn't raised the minimum wage in the 2010s, we wouldn't be dealing with this problem! Weren't we silly!" but I really, really doubt it.

linoleum floors
Mar 25, 2012

Please. Let me tell you all about how you're all idiots. I am of superior intellect here. Go suck some dicks. You have all fucking stupid opinions. This is my fucking opinion.
The world will literally end if we raise the minimum wage

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
Asking for honest good goonpinions here: should I invest in burger futures? The price is set to go up.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
exponentially, or linerarly?

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
it's gonna supersize.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Trent posted:

Quoting this from twenty pages ago because the extra zero at the end had me giggling like an idiot for a good five minutes. One of those things other people want to know what's funny but there is zero chance they'd get why you're laughing.

Goddamnit.

Now you've got me doing it too

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp
Personally, I've been putting "unwilling to work for less than $15/hour" on my application for years now. I am unwilling to voluntarily sell my labor for less than that. I feel like that is the minimum amount of money I need to live the life I've been accustom to. Needless to say I've lost a lot of job opportunities over the last few years.

Like for example, the last 5 unskilled labor jobs I applied to just flat out tossed my application aside and never called me back. All 5 of them ended up hiring either some teenage black kid, or a literal fresh off the boat Mexican who couldn't even speak English. I'm a 25 year old white male with a college degree. It really bugs me that I lost a job to a literal teenager/non-english speaker. I have literally every advantage possible over them. Older, more experienced, more education, more work history, references, a car for transportation to the job. It's really loving unfair that these people are allowed to voluntarily sell their labor for less than what I'm willing to charge.

Anyways, as soon as this law gets passed I feel like I will never lose a job again. I mean honestly, why in the gently caress would anyone ever hire a black teenager or a Mexican immigrant over a 25 year old white male college graduate? Are you kidding me? There is no reason why I should be losing jobs to those people. This should never happen. $15 min wage is a great step forward. Hopefully it happens sooner rather than later. I really want to move out of my parents house.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

tsa posted:

Yea, but extrapolating in a linear fashion is almost certainly a conservative estimate so it kinda fucks your argument- all the evidence points to it being an exponential increase.

For gently caress's sake no it doesn't, we just spent 10 pages proving that nothing related to the minimum wage grows exponentially as a function of the minimum wage, and we all came to an agreement on the matter, and then you decided to trot on up and poo poo your pants in public

tsa posted:

Every single liberal in this thread would gladly throw out the minimum wage completely if we had a GMI already you illiterate moron, good loving luck getting that passed

Maybe the best of all worlds is that we pass a minimum wage increase with the politicians that we have today and still try to garner support for a GMI with the politicians that we'll have tomorrow? "Do nothing until we've already achieved utopia" just feels like kind of a defeatist attitude to me, I dunno

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

It turned out that opponents to the minimum wage were just nihilists, funnily enough

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

a literal fresh off the boat Mexican who couldn't even speak English

Since when do Mexicans immigrate here by boat?

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
hey gang, wild opinion here, but i think poor people should be able to feed themselves, their families, and be able to handle any medical mishaps that come their way

well see ya

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

A) We're talking about permanent changes in labor costs, profitability, and potentially prices and staffing. This is all long term. None of my assumptions only hold in the short-term.

Your conclusion that employers can't adjust pricing and/or staffing levels, so therefore they will take it in the margins, relies on those things to be constrained. But they are only constrained in the short term. That should be obvious.

You've clearly read some stuff about economics but you have no idea how things actually work in business, or even how the supply/demand model you're referencing works, and that makes it hard to talk to you.

QuarkJets posted:

D) Yes, I explicitly said that a minimum wage increase will change labor costs. That's obvious. But it only really effects the bottom rungs here, in the US. GIven that we barely manufacturing anything anymore, it's unclear what your argument is meant to convey. You haven't provided any evidence to back up your claim that lower margins would be temporary. Higher minimum wage does not make automation cheaper, nor does it significantly change a supply/demand curve, so why would these other factors readjust significantly just to bring profit back to where it was? What mechanism causes these changes, and why?

Take this, for instance. First, and you can verify this yourself in the May 2014 BLS survey, a $15 minimum wage reaches all the way up to about the 45th percentile of workers. That is not a change that is only going to affect the bottom rungs of the labor market. It's going to ripple up to raise costs for almost every input for almost every business.

Second, costs are included in the abstraction that is the supply curve. When they change that's a shift in the curve. That's basic 101 stuff and you can confirm that in any text book.

The mechanisms are various but dude it's not rocket science. If the cost increase is large companies won't have a choice but to raise prices and they're generally run by people who like money so they'll use that opportunity to charge even more. In normal times they'd be constrained by competition but if everyone's costs have gone up and stayed up that's not going to hold.

When contracts come up you bid higher.

When your customers reorder you edge their prices up.

And if a customer switches because another company tried to charge them more? You offer them a little lower than they would have paid but more than you would have offred before. What are they going to do, switch back and pay even more?

You're generally keeping an ear to the ground through various sources anyway so you know what your competitors are doing and they're doing the same thing. You might even play tennis with a colleague or chat after a chamber of commerce meeting. :devil: Large companies will comission benchmarking studies from consulting firms that collect data industry wide and distribute the results. What do you think the purpose of that is? (I need a bigger devil icon)

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

wateroverfire posted:

You've clearly read some stuff about economics but you have no idea how things actually work in business, or even how the supply/demand model you're referencing works, and that makes it hard to talk to you.

:ironicat:

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

:ironicat::ironicat:

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
What's the emoticon with the Ironicat that gets bigger and bigger? I can't find it.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Gravel Gravy posted:

What's the emoticon with the Ironicat that gets bigger and bigger? I can't find it.

I was looking for that but couldn't find it either.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Gravel Gravy posted:

It is a mystical spontaneous phenomena summoned by wateroverfire's posting.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

wateroverfire posted:

Take this, for instance. First, and you can verify this yourself in the May 2014 BLS survey, a $15 minimum wage reaches all the way up to about the 45th percentile of workers. That is not a change that is only going to affect the bottom rungs of the labor market. It's going to ripple up to raise costs for almost every input for almost every business.

Actually if you read the BLS data or knew anything about business supply chain management (I will give you the benefit of the doubt not being in the US), then you would realize that the majority of the people making less than $15/hour are end consumer facing food service, consumer service, or retail workers, with the notable exception being textile workers. Logistics is dominated by fixed costs and workers earn generally higher wages. Raw resource inputs are either imported or are dominated by fixed costs and higher wage labor for harvesting. Intermediate parts are imported or manufactured in facilities operated by workers earning generally higher than the proposed minimum. At worst you would see a marginal increase due to higher wages for non-production workers such as janitors or cafeteria food vendors.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

UPS and USPS are unionized on the delivery side of things. I think fedex 1099ed their delivery guys.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

archangelwar posted:

consumer facing food service, consumer service, or retail workers,

all businesses which would benefit from people having more money generally.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011
I find it hilarious how y'all are posting about the GMI being politically infeasible while pretending a minimum wage hike has a snowball's chance in hell.

Any legislation on the Federal level that interacts with the not-rich will only deliberately make life worse, either by cutting programs or deliberately making said programs less effective.

It's more likely that the poor will be statutorily barred from suing in criminal court than helped by any American government.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

poor people already cannot sue in criminal court.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

tsa posted:

GMI is just another welfare trap built to keep the poor, poor. Is that actually your goal here, to keep the poor in poverty forever? Because that's what the GMI gets you.

Now, if you wanted to support a BI, most of us would get behind you. Hell, if a halfway decent BI was on the table, I don't think there'd be anyone here who wouldn't give up the minimum wage to see it happen.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

wateroverfire posted:

I was looking for that but couldn't find it either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

TwoQuestions posted:

I find it hilarious how y'all are posting about the GMI being politically infeasible while pretending a minimum wage hike has a snowball's chance in hell.

Didn't we just raise the minimum wage like 5 years ago?

And didn't minimum wage increases just pass in the last election in 4 states that voted GOP?

• Locked thread