Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Secks Cauldron
Aug 26, 2006

I thought they closed that place down!

Hargrimm posted:

If you want a dog with good genetics, get the mutt with the most undiscernable lineage at the local humane society.
This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

berzerker posted:

And to a lot of people a dog is more than "a loving dog."

Well yeah, they can be status symbols or trophies or whatever too, but purebreds do not make better pets. It's what's on the inside that counts :3:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Is this pet island? No? Great can we keep the self righteous bullshit about adoption/mutts etc. out of this thread please?

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

I finally opened a Roth IRA today instead of building a new gaming PC. You guys made me better with money but bad at life.

Bad with money today: bought a game on Steam full price.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Hargrimm posted:

If you want a dog with good genetics, get the mutt with the most undiscernable lineage at the local humane society.

Laika, the first space faring dog, was just some random stray they found on the streets. They figured if he can survive the streets of Moscow, then they'll have a dog with the most robust health you can get.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

potee posted:

My mother paid that much to adopt, transport and fly (first class apparently) a middle-aged dog from rear end in a top hat Texas to Hartford. It had some spine problem and had to be put down less than 3 years later.

I also know a guy that paid $3,000 - as in Three Thousand American United States George Washington Greenback Dollars - for a cat. A purebreed Abyssinian admittedly, and holy poo poo is that a beautiful cat, but my cat cost $75 in adoption fees at the shelter and she's cooler than that weird thing. :catbert:

I got my cat for free when his creepy as gently caress meth-addled weirdo owner who lived nearby split town because the cops were looking for him and left the cat all alone so he came by my place because I give him treats and pet him and the owner never came back as far as I know so now he is my cat.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

berzerker posted:

And to a lot of people a dog is more than "a loving dog."

Dogs are pretty fungible imo (stupid small ones you carry in bags don't count tho). Maybe I'm just bad with dogs :shrug:

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
Dogs have more inherent value than cats in the long run. Cats are bad with money, for sure.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Stop this silliness right now

It's for your own good

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Is it good with money if you research breeds for longest life and most social to maximize ROI?

Right now it feels really bad with money spending close to more than rent or old mortgage on daycare, only to realize it will be double that with 2nd kid. Just need savings to smooth that out for a few years until they are school age and then the school system can take over. It will be like we're getting a 30k yearly raise (pre tax) and it will be glorious.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Duck and Cover posted:

Is this pet island? No? Great can we keep the self righteous bullshit about adoption/mutts etc. out of this thread please?

Tibetan Mastiff owner spotted

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Day care is bad with money. Do what the rich do and hire a student for room and board who also takes care of your kid.

Folly
May 26, 2010

cowofwar posted:

Day care is bad with money. Do what the rich do and hire a student for room and board who also takes care of your kid.

Man, that's harder than it sounds. We both have daughters about a week about in age and we live within 2 miles of each other. At 2 kids, the price is only slightly above daycare. But we just couldn't find a way to actually do the hiring. We're all too busy.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Azur posted:

Laika, the first space faring dog, was just some random stray they found on the streets. They figured if he can survive the streets of Moscow, then they'll have a dog with the most robust health you can get.

You mean "she" as Laika was female. The name basically translates to "Barker."

It's so sad what they did to her :(

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
At the dog park with my two shelter dogs (who just finally got a teeth cleaning because of a $99 deal at the vet) there was a lady with an 11 month old Great Dane that spent their first four months together destroying her furniture and ruining her carpet. And she couldn't have looked happier about it.

Dog lovers are weird. If dogs were bigger they'd just be less skittish horses and we could ride them.

As it stands they are only slightly less bad with money.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

Phrasing posted:

I finally opened a Roth IRA today instead of building a new gaming PC. You guys made me better with money but bad at life.

This is both good with money and good with life.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Verizon just trumped every story that has or ever will be posted in this thread. They are buying AOL for $4.4 billion.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Ornamented Death posted:

Verizon just trumped every story that has or ever will be posted in this thread. They are buying AOL for $4.4 billion.

This is excellent with money. They just bought access to a bunch of Pepsi-drinking, QVC-shopping Luddites who pay a goodly sum of money to check their email once a week.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

High Lord Elbow posted:

This is excellent with money. They just bought access to a bunch of Pepsi-drinking, QVC-shopping Luddites who pay a goodly sum of money to check their email once a week.

Anyone know what the going price for a /16 IP block? I read that AOL owns tons of unused public IP addresses a while back, I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

I googled around and found a site that listed public blocks own by private companies, and I calculated around 4.5 million IP addresses off of that. No idea how accurate that is, but that has to be worth something for a rapidly expanding ISP of Verizon's size.

OR I could just be totally full of poo poo since I'm kind of stretching here.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

High Lord Elbow posted:

They also bought Huffington Post and Engadget.

All in all poo poo AOL owns generates $600 million in advertising revenue per year, so it's definitely not a terrible deal. They're overpaying a bit as it'll take 9 years at that rate to turn a profit, but it's not a ridiculous overpay.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
I left my E*Trade account open on my computer and my dog sold all my vanguard funds and put the proverbial farm on GTAT :( My dog is bad with money.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My old man just had his car totaled by a couple of kids. The kids were at fault, and their insurance cut him a check for ~$10k. He was driving an '06 Acura, so I thought he'd just pick up something similar. Got in today and he's talking about using the $10k as a down payment and financing $15k more on a slightly used Infiniti. Gonna try to do everything I can to talk him out of it, but he's a sucker for nice cars...

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

laxbro posted:

Dogs have more inherent value than cats in the long run. Cats are bad with money, for sure.
Time = Money, and cats are way more time-efficient than dogs. Good with money.

Nail Rat posted:

All in all poo poo AOL owns generates $600 million in advertising revenue per year, so it's definitely not a terrible deal. They're overpaying a bit as it'll take 9 years at that rate to turn a profit, but it's not a ridiculous overpay.
Assuming they continue to make that much money for 9 years. Think of where the internet was 9 years ago compared to today - things could change dramatically before they ever get their money's worth out of that dead brand.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Yes, and Facebook could go the way of myspace next year(god I hope so). I'm just saying that AOL is more than just a few million old farts on dialup; there actually are relevant and profitable assets.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Aliquid posted:

My dad's a real-estate agent and when doing leases, he'll have people drop $450 non-refundable deposits per pet on nine-month terms. Maybe one a month or so, he'll always point them out to me and we'll roll our eyes.

Why is that weird? Are people just supposed to kill their pet if they don't want to pay that fee?

Also pet insurance is great with money. Our pug had to have an MRI and the 7 years we've been paying for it were ROI positive in an instant.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Comrade Flynn posted:

Why is that weird? Are people just supposed to kill their pet if they don't want to pay that fee?

Yes. Remember this thread isn't really about people who are bad with money i.e. in debt and not making smart decisions to get out, it's really about people who spend discretionary income in a way you wouldn't spend it and how incredulous you are about that.

edit: for context, this guy is Bad With Money, but at least he knows it, kind of.

quote:

Some background. I always carried a bit of CC debt, but it was always manageable and was <$3000 at any given time.
I own an apartment and have a well-paying job. My Mortgage is $2600/month, Condo Charges ~800/month, Utilities @ $250/month. My take home pay is ~5700/month
I've had a stream of bad luck over the past few years which has caused my debt to balloon to a peak of $56000 in CC Debt.
Hurricane Sandy caused my apartment to be shutdown for 8 months with Insurance refusing coverage or loss of use. During this time, there was an incident during repairs which caused approximately 37k in damages to my apartment. Insurance refused to cover it (due to root cause being flooding) and the building's liability coverage had clauses in it preventing owners from suing as they are co-holders on the policy. Either way, in order to fight the legal battle would further indebt me.
Shortly thereafter, my girlfriend lost her job which had me supporting her and myself. This coupled with the dent in my savings from Sandy caused my debt to rise.
By this point, my debt had ballooned to $53000. My girlfriend paid me back about $7000 once she started working and I had successfully gotten debt down to $32000.
My luck would not hold, however, and I was let go from my job. I managed to lock down a much better paying job (which pays me the values listed above) but was unemployed for 3 months. Girlfriend decided she would not return the favor during that time and traded up.
Immediately after I got started my job, my parents were traveling and left me responsible for their household. They had set up billpay, and such for their house and apartment but managed to get their cards locked out while abroad (in Asia) The banks refused to unlock their cards due to suspicion of fraud.
For these 3 months, I was running a deficit covering the bills for 2 apartments + their house. They've paid me back some cash.
I have savings, but for the purposes of this debt, I do not want to use it as it's my emergency fund. My parents have money, but I refuse to ask them for help. I don't want to go into it, but there would be a lot of strings attached, and would tie me down significantly. I don't want to touch my retirement savings at all.
Either way, I'm currently in debt about $35000. I want this gone. I've tightened the buckles and am trying to figure out the best way to go about this.
Debt Details
Discover Card: 0/5000
Chase 1: 0/3500
Chase 2: 17148/19200 @ 10.24% APR ~140/month interest
CapOne: 4717/10000 @ 10.90% APR ~40/month
Barclay: 10429/11500 @ 18.99% APR ~$130/month
PayPal: 2683/7500 @ 23.99% APR ~$45/month
Total: 34977/56700 ~355/month
I had tried snowballing, and paid the discover and Chase 1 cards off. I don't use them anymore. I'm currently working on the Paypal Card.
I've been spinning my wheels due to expenses and have been stuck in this range for a few months.
I was thinking of taking a personal loan for $30000, and consolidating the Barclay, Paypal and most of the Chase 2 card onto it.
I would then throw around $1200 to $1500 a month at this and when I receive my bonus ($6000 take home) in January, throw it at the debt too. My credit score is currently ~720. I have never missed a payment and I have never been late.
Any extra money that comes in would be thrown at the CapOne would be used to pay that down. It was opened as a balance transfer card and had a promo rate of 0% for a while so it's not actively used.
I want this debt gone, and once cleared, I only plan to use the Barclay Card (due to rewards) It's the only card I keep in my wallet.
Anyways, Any advice or tips would be much appreciated. I am also looking for advice on which personal loans to go for if that is a PF approved route. Thanks.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 12, 2015

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

Yes. Remember this thread isn't really about people who are bad with money i.e. in debt and not making smart decisions to get out, it's really about people who spend discretionary income in a way you wouldn't spend it and how incredulous you are about that.

edit: for context, this guy is Bad With Money, but at least he knows it, kind of.

Like how we all spent $10 on a forums account to bitch about whatever when we could be doing it on a street corner for free.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
So that guy spends about $3650+ of his $5700 take home on his housing? No wonder he's in debt up to his eyeballs.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

pig slut lisa posted:

Tibetan Mastiff owner spotted

Presently Sussex Spaniel, white German Shepard. Although it was my mom's choice. The Sussex Spaniel was before Stump won best in show.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 12, 2015

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Not a Children posted:

My old man just had his car totaled by a couple of kids. The kids were at fault, and their insurance cut him a check for ~$10k. He was driving an '06 Acura, so I thought he'd just pick up something similar. Got in today and he's talking about using the $10k as a down payment and financing $15k more on a slightly used Infiniti. Gonna try to do everything I can to talk him out of it, but he's a sucker for nice cars...

This reminds me of the worst advice I ever received, from a family member who is absolutely terrible with money. "You should always move upwards when you buy a car. Get something newer, bigger, nicer - every time."

My best financial decision in life was selling an Infiniti I30 and buying my dad's older, much cheaper Camry. I got nearly double the gas mileage and that car hardly ever needed maintenance outside of oil changes.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Comrade Flynn posted:

The amount seems high to me(for a 12mo lease, let alone 9mo!), but that's one of those things that probably varies by area. Not that it matters since you should be getting it back at the end of the lease, and paying pet deposits/monthly pet fees is just part of having pets in a rental. Rolling your eyes at it is like rolling your eyes at people who pay security deposits.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Duck and Cover posted:

Presently Sussex Spaniel, white German Shepard. Although it was my mom's choice. The Sussex Spaniel was before Stump won best in show.
holy gently caress nobody actually gives a poo poo

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Please ban all this dog chat nonsense thanks.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

moana posted:

holy gently caress nobody actually gives a poo poo

I'm not allowed to be a hypocrite? Outrageous!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

quote:

Last night, I dreamt my wife bought me a $250 pair of boots. I was so mad, because I wanted to use that money to pay on her student loan. (self.personalfinance)

Have you ever dreamt about your finances?
Get on my level, start dreaming about being bad with money.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

Haifisch posted:

The amount seems high to me(for a 12mo lease, let alone 9mo!), but that's one of those things that probably varies by area. Not that it matters since you should be getting it back at the end of the lease, and paying pet deposits/monthly pet fees is just part of having pets in a rental. Rolling your eyes at it is like rolling your eyes at people who pay security deposits.

I'm jaded by the Bay Area. They wanted 500+ per pet, but it was a true deposit and we got it all back when there was no damage.

Speaking of bad with money, I went to buy a house in Seattle to use as a rental property. They told me there was a bidding war and it ended up selling for 20% over list. :stare:

I'm now considering buying a lot to develop a custom house instead. The only lots I can find are perched on the side of hills and will require retaining walls.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Barry posted:

So that guy spends about $3650+ of his $5700 take home on his housing? No wonder he's in debt up to his eyeballs.

Well there's that but also the part where a natural disaster made him homeless for 8 months and did $37,000 damage to his house that insurance refused to pay for (ps homeowners insurance is the worst)

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

lmao at the guy who knows not only the breed of the dog that won some dog show but also the dog's name getting caremad about people who like adopting mixed breeds

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

quote:

I should already be on your ignore list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Nocheez posted:

You mean "she" as Laika was female. The name basically translates to "Barker."

It's so sad what they did to her :(

Made her among the most famous and admired dogs in history in the name of testing safe spaceflight for hundreds of humans and animals to come? Guess you could do worse for a random stray dog.

• Locked thread