Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

muscles like this? posted:

Caught a couple of minutes of the 90s Brady Bunch Movie and never noticed before that Greg is played by Christopher Daniel Barnes aka 90s Spider-Man.

Even stranger was that he was in an episode of Day by Day where he had a dream sequence in which he was Chuck Brady.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gapSLY5Fxbo

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I may have asked this before, but it's a bit more relevant for me now: What was it that people didn't like about Young Justice season 2? I'm finally going through it and am about 3 episodes from the end (They just got Beetle back from the Reach) and it's not super amazing or anything but the story is compelling enough. And I can't say enough about how great the character designs are for this show either.

Basically, when it was airing I just remember a lot of people here seem to dislike it. But that might have been about the show getting canned?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Possibly that, and it's probably more the scheduling's fault, as trying to keep up with a serialised story when there's months between episodes is going to frustrate a lot of the audience.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Probably also didn't help that the time skip ditched like half of the cast from the first season.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
The time skip was huge. A few years is a near lifetime to teenagers. In addition to the plot stuff that we missed and had to have revealed to us later in the season, it disallowed any natural evolution of the characters. They may as well have been different people. Plus all the new characters made it that much harder for the show to find a focus and explore the changes the original cast went through.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Apparently if they had gotten another season they were going to do another time skip.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The plot also kept fluctuating between too confusing and too boring to follow. There were something like 4 different enemy factions, 3 different teams of heroes running around, and they threw all the subplots at the viewer at once instead of one at a time. And of course, with all this plot going on, there was no room for real individual character development.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I called quits when Jaime was put into the "doesnt think things through" rookie role in the Solomon Grundy wannabe episode of JLU featuring Superboy as IM DEPRESSED BTW LOOK AT MY SUBTLE SUICIDE DESIRES SO SUBTLE SO EDGY.

All the heroes being useless and ultimately outsmarted every time they outsmart someone also didn't help.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

I will say it was really weird for Luthor to be publicly helping the Reach build their mind control food/drink in one episode, then petition the runaway team to destroy their stuff like two episodes later. Or maybe that gets explained by the end.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

All the heroes being useless and ultimately outsmarted every time they outsmart someone also didn't help.

That aspect became so silly it was impossible to take seriously.

Also amusing in hindsight since there were those rumors that they planned a 7 season storyline or something?

2 seasons of every victory actually helping the bad guys and being part of their intricately calculated plan was tedious enough as is.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Heck I'd even go as far as to say that no matter how many seasons they got I'm confident that it would always have ended with the bad guys talking behind the scenes about how ~everything went exactly as planned~.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Srice posted:

I'm confident that it would always have ended with the bad guys talking behind the scenes about how ~everything went exactly as planned~.

Timeskip was bad (from a character standpoint). The Light was bad (from a cliche'd "we need the story to head in this direction and will disregard what individual episodes add"). Schedule fuckery was bad (making folks just give up on the series / helping to destroy the little DC block they had going).

Looks like it was just a long buildup to showing how the adult JL was mistrusted by the world but their scampy little Jr Justice Pals saved the day so they must truly have surpassed the league and are now the heirs apparent.

Also the Superdeadbeat Kal El subplot was really good. I liked that he was skeeved out by Conner.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
The timeskip was definitely what killed my interest in the series. I hate timeskips, and especially in a series were the main plot centred around young heroes forming a new team, I find it completely counter-intuitive to skip all that development, only to then tell a lot of it again via flashback.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Kingtheninja posted:

I will say it was really weird for Luthor to be publicly helping the Reach build their mind control food/drink in one episode, then petition the runaway team to destroy their stuff like two episodes later. Or maybe that gets explained by the end.

Luthor and the Light were using the Reach at the same time the Reach were using them, with both sides attempting to undermine the other, up until the point where the heroes reveal they've been playing them the whole time and both sets of villains have had their plans hosed up bigtime.

Except for the "next season" trailer part at the end, which never came to fruition (obviously), where Vandal Savage sells the War World to Apokolips, which would have probably brought some real Fourth World Jack Kirby poo poo into play, which they were already hinting at since season one.

Young Justice was not a bad show overall, it was just very reliant on the overarching plot. Individual episodes felt like the heroes were always failing, but the season endings were very satisfying resolutions to the story arcs.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
The timeskip combined with the horrible scheduling really hamstrung the show. What was there was still decent, and the art and animation was above average for such a show, in my opinion, but the show was basically forced to crawl.

And besides, the reason it got cancelled was because they didn't feel that they could push enough toys with it, not because it was critically panned or largely reviled.

Fuego Fish posted:

Luthor and the Light were using the Reach at the same time the Reach were using them, with both sides attempting to undermine the other, up until the point where the heroes reveal they've been playing them the whole time and both sets of villains have had their plans hosed up bigtime.

Except for the "next season" trailer part at the end, which never came to fruition (obviously), where Vandal Savage sells the War World to Apokolips, which would have probably brought some real Fourth World Jack Kirby poo poo into play, which they were already hinting at since season one.

Young Justice was not a bad show overall, it was just very reliant on the overarching plot. Individual episodes felt like the heroes were always failing, but the season endings were very satisfying resolutions to the story arcs.

Yeah I feel like the finales were always good enough, and watching the seasons as a whole made the individual episodes look better.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

The show had great character designs and the second best Batman VA Bruce Greenwood.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Some of the combat was really well animated as well, specifically when Bat family people fought.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

That was a drat good night wing design.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

hiddenriverninja posted:

The show had great character designs and the second best Batman VA Bruce Greenwood.

Too bad he never got to do anything. A big thing I think season 2 dropped the ball on was sending the Justice League to space. I mean, yeah, I guess it lets the young heroes step up or whatever, but I always felt like a lot of season 1 was supposed to be about seeing these young heroes grow out of their mentors' shadows and see how they interact with the seasoned vets. Then the timeskip happens, the show goes "Well Robin's Nightwing now because that's just a thing that happened, here's Tim Drake and Batgirl too" and we don't really get to hear Batman say anything about any of that because he's taking off to Planet Plotdevice. I mean, at one point they show a memorial for Jason Todd. That's some heavy poo poo that I feel like should maybe be addressed, maybe you'd get a good scene with the whole Batfamily out of that. But no, Batman's in space.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

TwoPair posted:

Too bad he never got to do anything. A big thing I think season 2 dropped the ball on was sending the Justice League to space. I mean, yeah, I guess it lets the young heroes step up or whatever, but I always felt like a lot of season 1 was supposed to be about seeing these young heroes grow out of their mentors' shadows and see how they interact with the seasoned vets. Then the timeskip happens, the show goes "Well Robin's Nightwing now because that's just a thing that happened, here's Tim Drake and Batgirl too" and we don't really get to hear Batman say anything about any of that because he's taking off to Planet Plotdevice. I mean, at one point they show a memorial for Jason Todd. That's some heavy poo poo that I feel like should maybe be addressed, maybe you'd get a good scene with the whole Batfamily out of that. But no, Batman's in space.

Adressing Jason Todd would probably have meant they'd have to include Brent Spiner's terrible Joker again, so I'm okay they skipped it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I think Gods & Monsters really has the potential to be one of the best works of fiction the JLA have ever been involved in. I've always really wanted a lethal JLA, but more importantly, they're so...original! Well, alright, Batman as a vampire has been done before, but otherwise it's all so fresh and new, I'm really excited.

The trailer opening up with "So many people have been grusomely killed!" was a little ridiculous and funny given the grimdarkness of The New 52 and Man of Steel, but I think One Million started out in a similar way so I'm willing to give it the benefit of doubt.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer
I've been looking forward to Gods and Monsters as well, I really enjoy elseworlds type stories and enjoy the art style in the previews since it resembles a more fluid version of the old Justice League art style as opposed to the more recent movies like Throne of Atlantis.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
JL: Gods and Monsters, is, uh, not what I expected :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpu6yPAFHrs

An interview with Timm

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
There was... nothing good in that.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I can't believe Batman didn't use his lack of a reflection sneak up on her. But yeah, that was a little jarring to see in an animation style I watched so much of as a kid.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

qntm posted:

Yup.

Apart from the... everything, Tara Strong BARELY gets away with the exaggerated Brooklyn/NJ accent in the Arkham games. It's really jarring in something that's going full-on serial killer with her.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Literal fridging, nice.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Is there an internal company contest at DC to see who can come up with the worst Harley Quinn costume design? Because they really keep outdoing themselves in that regard.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Dacap posted:

Is there an internal company contest at DC to see who can come up with the worst Harley Quinn costume design? Because they really keep outdoing themselves in that regard.

The original costume was perfect, so DC has nowhere to go but downhill.

Although, I am glad they are bringing back the old art style and not the ugly one DC has been using recently for all of their animation.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Vampire Batman's costume design is just flat-out boring. Where's the Bat-symbol?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wasn't sure he was even supposed to be Batman until Harley called him that

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Dacap posted:

It was all Timm though

quote:

Newsarama: Bruce, these webisodes definitely have your stamp on them, but they feel a little more edgy and mature than what most fans know you for. Did you feel a little more free to push the story the way you wanted in these shorts, without worrying about a rating?

Bruce Timm: Yeah, this property started as a direct-to-video, which are all kind of PG-13 anyway. This is not rated, so I have no idea what it would actually be rated, but it would probably be somewhere on the top end of a PG-13.

So yeah, it's nothing really new, but yeah, I do find it liberating to work outside the restrictions of children's television. I mean, I'm fine working for children's television as well. But just occasionally, even back in the day, there'd be storylines or situations that we would want to explore that we kind of knew we couldn't, just because it was a kids' show. So yeah, doing the DTVs and then doing this new webseries is liberating, knowing we can go there if we want to.

And I'll just say this up front too: These three Machinima shorts — I'll be blatant about it — they were deliberately designed to be a little bit shocking, because this is going to be the audience's first introductions to these characters before the movie comes out.

So we kind of wanted to do a gut-punch. It's just kind of like, OK, this is absolutely not Batman and Superman and Wonder Woman like you're used to.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Oh Bruce no, no...

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

qntm posted:

The Bruce Timm DCAU style is still good at least

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The "guess what, Batman is actually super serious and his enemies have killed more people than have ever lived" gut-punch has been done so many times, it's more of a shock when writers go for a lighter Batman. That's why Brave and the Bold was so good.

I haven't heard anything good come out of DC for a while now. I hope that trend stops soon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I haven't heard anything good come out of DC for a while now. I hope that trend stops soon.

Yeah, I also hope DC just shuts down.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

It was all Timm though

Didn't Timm wrote Arkham Asylum, which was where the modern Harley look came from?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

The MSJ posted:

Didn't Timm wrote Arkham Asylum, which was where the modern Harley look came from?

Dini, and it's always been extremely unclear just how much input he has in the games

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Dacap posted:

Seriously, at this point she's only in her lingerie. It doesn't even fit with any of the poo poo she's doing in that clip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

Unless you're specifically talking about animation, you're not really paying attention.

• Locked thread