Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

DarkstarIV posted:

You forgot the best part of that video, one of the comments on it:

I don't think I've ever seen someone miss a point as much as this person has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Something tells me that video isn't going to convince many people that wildstar is suddenly alive again.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Hm yes, this 1 fps video of people fighting a world boss(?) in a crowd about as big as what you see on your screen in an active mmo's capital city at once is definitely making me want to play wildstar.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

DarkstarIV posted:

You forgot the best part of that video, one of the comments on it:

The implication that the gameplay shown by that video is appealing is pretty hilarious.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I really liked it that in their official trailer the word "FUN" is literally one of the last things on the list of features, it's the bottom priority

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I have friends who've been playing this game on and off (they're lore/rp nerds and don't raid, and apparently the Wildstar employee/s that interact with that corner are less of a dick than the raid team). Installed the free trial just to see if my laptop could run it, and the tutorial/newbie zone seemed reasonably fun - but the fact that I never saw more than MAYBE three people at once in the nearby player window, playing on a weekend, was pretty telling.

If they at least go B2P I might come back, housing and a very convenient dress-up system are enough to keep me entertained. :shobon:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/125717-the-future-of-wildstar/

Wildstar will -never- go F2P/B2P. Also, Olivar has gotten meaner than I remember.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Verranicus posted:

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/125717-the-future-of-wildstar/

Wildstar will -never- go F2P/B2P. Also, Olivar has gotten meaner than I remember.

All the true believers are a lot saltier. The game's wearing them down. Kinda sad.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is Olivar on the staff? Or is he just the True Protector of WildStar?

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is Olivar on the staff? Or is he just the True Protector of WildStar?

Protector. Surprised he isn't an embassador. I remember he used to RP a chua on forums but like Verr has said, the game is starting to get to the old guard lately.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

noELrunes posted:

Protector. Surprised he isn't an embassador. I remember he used to RP a chua on forums but like Verr has said, the game is starting to get to the old guard lately.

Yeah, he used to stay in character in every post but since the thread came back he just seems dead inside.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh how did I miss a new Wildstar thread. :toot:

There's a thousand different problems with it and most of them have already been mentioned, but the thing that will always stick out to me is that Wildstar was basically a once in a decade launch window that they basically completely pissed away. It was released months before the upcoming WoW expansion, when the game was getting old and stale and long in the tooth in the patch cycle, but far enough ahead that Blizzard didn't have a chance of doing their usual plan of releasing some expansion or content patch to kill the competitor's initial rush. Similarly, it was at a time when there wasn't any other competing MMO releases or even (I'm pretty sure) big AAA game releases. It had a few weeks of minimal competition to draw people in. And it had lots to draw people in! The art direction was memorable and cartoony and as much as good mock it that does matter a whole lot, there was promise of casual stuff like housing and exploration, it had the promise of being a sci-fi western in a genre where those are sparse and far between, and there was pretty massive hype from a lot of sources right up until the beta NDAs dropped. I'm firmly convinced that if the developers were competent it could have been one of the few P2P MMOs to carve out and keep a million-plus player base.

... But instead the developers were incompetent EQ-fellating grognards who shat out a player-hostile grindy tedium of a game. And whelp. Their one perfect chance at success absolutely wasted because they were pissy about casuals. :effort:

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

NCsoft earnings call for 1Q15 is tomorrow, 0930 UTC+9, so we'll get to find out exactly how much (little) Wildstar made them recently.

Predictions have already rolled in from various analysts:
- Wildstar is expected to make up <1% of NCsoft's sales in 2015;
- Guild Wars 2 is expected to make up a bigger portion of NCsoft's sales than Lineage 1 this year on the back of massive expansion pack sales come third quarter.

This will be a particularly interesting call because the results announced tomorrow will almost certainly determine if Nexon makes another move on the corporate takeover of NCsoft. A poor showing in sales this year will push NCsoft's institutional investors towards supporting a management structure dominated by Nexon appointees, while a strong showing is likely to force Nexon to back off and may even result in them selling off part of their stock holdings. Asian MMO operators are not used to having their fates dictated by the performance of their Western titles the way NCsoft is going to be reliant on GW2 sales figures this year, so it's all very amusing.

Of course, this all doesn't matter for Wildstar, which makes so little money for the company it's basically a stain on the floor of the conference room.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Verranicus posted:

Yeah, he used to stay in character in every post but since the thread came back he just seems dead inside.

was he ever alive in the first place

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

RottenK posted:

was he ever alive in the first place

I bet he has an account on second life.

From that thread

quote:

Regarding Q1 financial reports, they have not been released. The game has expaneded since Q4 by large margin (not opinion, fact just see how active the game is). As Oliviar has pointed out, a game doesn't need millions and millions to be successful, just because WoW has it and another game doesn't, does not make it a failure. Cod out sold Wolfenstien by a large margin, but it didn't make Wolfenstien a failure.

Pretty sure Wolfenstien didn't poo poo on their player base though and not develop anything fun.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Holyshoot posted:

I bet he has an account on second life.

From that thread

Pretty sure Wolfenstien didn't poo poo on their player base though and not develop anything fun.

Also Wolfenstein didn't try and release CoD3 in 2014 as a brand new game everyone should love

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Did anyone else think it was weird, and also a little telling, that a sci-fi futuristic game on a far flung alien world used the same Copper Silver Gold Plat currency system as WoW and most every other high fantasy MMO? Not to mention that for a good while the icons for Silver, Platinum and Renown were so similar that you had no idea which one you were spending at any given time.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Looking forward to the Wildhard diehards brushing off the new earnings report because it doesn't include the latest patch.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So why are people so dead-set against WildStar changing the subscription model? Is it a "filthy casuals" thing?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Evil Mastermind posted:

So why are people so dead-set against WildStar changing the subscription model? Is it a "filthy casuals" thing?

They don't want freeloaders or something.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

Evil Mastermind posted:

They think that if the game charges a subscription fee only "quality" players will play it

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

And going F2P is admitting defeat. This is supposed to be the WoW killer drat it!

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Anoia posted:

And going F2P is admitting defeat. This is supposed to be the WoW killer drat it!

well good news, wow is working very hard to kill itself

i suppose when they get done shooting themselves in the foot, rear end, chest, arms, legs, face, and dick, you can go and hold up the gun and yell MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
The subscription thing is like when mmo players think that there should be 18+ adult only servers and that will solve the problem of mmo players being dickheads

Pay model has nothing to do with what kind of players you're going to get but they'll shout about it a whole bunch

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

SarutosZero posted:

The subscription thing is like when mmo players think that there should be 18+ adult only servers and that will solve the problem of mmo players being dickheads
I'd love to see this try to happen, because MMO publishers can't even keep their loving forums under control, let alone mitigate in-game behavior.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!

SarutosZero posted:

Pay model has nothing to do with what kind of players you're going to get but they'll shout about it a whole bunch

https://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/35pkl7/mod_post_i_will_no_longer_be_allowing_any_f2pb2p/?sort=confidence

Well theyre also sorting out posts for F2P/B2p posts so there's that too.

If/when this game does head down thst route i think it would be funny. Also is thst the same fran aka franbunny?

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

noELrunes posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/35pkl7/mod_post_i_will_no_longer_be_allowing_any_f2pb2p/?sort=confidence

Well theyre also sorting out posts for F2P/B2p posts so there's that too.

If/when this game does head down thst route i think it would be funny. Also is thst the same fran aka franbunny?

The one and only. She's a (self proclaimed) community leader, which says a lot about the community.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Dr Snofeld posted:

Did anyone else think it was weird, and also a little telling, that a sci-fi futuristic game on a far flung alien world used the same Copper Silver Gold Plat currency system as WoW and most every other high fantasy MMO? Not to mention that for a good while the icons for Silver, Platinum and Renown were so similar that you had no idea which one you were spending at any given time.

I heard that despite taking place in a sci-fi world, the game's confined to a single planet. :effort: It's odd how closely it follows the usual fantasy MMO design.

sword_man.gif posted:

well good news, wow is working very hard to kill itself

i suppose when they get done shooting themselves in the foot, rear end, chest, arms, legs, face, and dick, you can go and hold up the gun and yell MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

What is going on with it, anyways? It seems like the game's in shambles, with problems far beyond its age.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Mizuti posted:

What is going on with it, anyways? It seems like the game's in shambles, with problems far beyond its age.

they made the skinner box too obvious and people are figuring it out

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Mizuti posted:

I heard that despite taking place in a sci-fi world, the game's confined to a single planet. :effort: It's odd how closely it follows the usual fantasy MMO design.

Garrisons were too obviously just a cell phone game skinner box, and it kind of put a crowbar in the lid and made people start thinking about what the rest of the game really was.

That plus a 15 year old engine. It's really hard to justify paying a sub fee for a game with a 15 year old engine when you can do the exact same poo poo with more QoL improvements in ffxiv for less money, or any of the f2p games with much better graphics and gameplay.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Its always content drying up for people way faster than they can put up and Blizzard's content development cycle stuck in the ice age. People would rather keep playing a game if it has content coming out every few months and not every 6-8.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

e-and Wildstar knew this is an issue so thats why they had a 1 month patch turn over and look how well that went for them :downs:.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Well wow's content cycle started to become tighter, and I think it might have worked out okay for them, but then they had a "major" patch that was the selfies patch. That probably pissed off too many people. Although, really, nothing ever happens for one reason and only one reason, it's a combination of the selfies patch, skinner box becoming more obvious, 15 year old engine showing a lot of its age lately, and even just general fatigue with the game. Wow had a really good run, and it's amazing they made it this far with this many people, but it's still a really old game.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I think the biggest problem is that WoW and Wildstar simply take themselves too seriously. The thing I would point to is Diablo 3. Look at it when it released and look at it now. The new guy in charge literally said that he wants gear and items and such to feel like you're breaking the game. And holy poo poo, who'd have thought, the game is actually really fun now. Wow/WS feel too stodgy. They have silly elements but it's always done in the interests of keeping this or that balanced or within 5% dps margins or whatever. Sadly, it's just not fun.

Wow was already showing it's age when WS released and they set out to make basically old WoW. Then they piled all the balancing and nerfing and grindiness on top even harder.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
You can play WoW for free now anyway so who cares. There's enough content in it, even if it is really old, to justify playing it casually as a F2P game now that tokens are a thing.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Verranicus posted:

You can play WoW for free now anyway so who cares. There's enough content in it, even if it is really old, to justify playing it casually as a F2P game now that tokens are a thing.

It's not really the cost that's doing them in. The content isn't so much better than other games without the drawbacks of the obvious skinner box and 15 year old engine that you can justify the time spent playing it versus playing something else. Like, FFXIV is quite literally the same thing as wow but with a new engine and better in a lot of ways.

Plus, in order to actually play wow for free you're going to be doing garrison stuff on several alts like it's your job. Goons forget that they're special in wow in how much gold income they have compared to the average wow player. There's a reason people are willing to turn their money into gold in the first place.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I think the problem with WoW is that it's hit a point where there's no reason for Blizzard to really shake things up because now it's more about the entrenched players than trying to bring in new players. But it's at the age that it can pretty much get away with that; after 15 or howevermany years it's established that this is what the playerbase wants and people know this going in.

World of Warcraft is pretty much the D&D of MMOs*; it doesn't need to do anything really new because it's the huge product that has the brand recognition and presence to do whatever it wants, and a dedicated playerbase that likes it just fine the way it is, thank you very much.

WildStar wanted that but without the 15+ years of work.

*and if you're a tabletop gamer familiar with the 3e->4e transition crap, you should get a chuckle out of that analogy.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Mizuti posted:

WoW poo poo the bed for me with the pre-Cataclysm changes. I was an avid fan of pretty much all of Wrath of the Lich King, then noped out about two weeks into Cataclysm and never came back.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Valatar posted:

WoW poo poo the bed for me with the pre-Cataclysm changes. I was an avid fan of pretty much all of Wrath of the Lich King, then noped out about two weeks into Cataclysm and never came back.

WoD was fun for about 2-3 months. Now it's just a raiding game and there is little to do if anything at all outside of raiding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
it's not the cost of wow it's the fact that there's nothing to loving do unless you're actively progression raiding

and you can't actively progression raid unless you've completed the attunement ring

• Locked thread