Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Hmm, yes, getting torn in half by angry Necromorphs certainly isn't as at all gory and doesn't ever happen when you're killed in Dead Space. Orr literally any game, ever. Lara Croft is the only protagonist to die violently.

I'm going to stop arguing because you literally do not understand what I am saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

DStecks posted:

I'm going to stop arguing because you literally do not understand what I am saying.

You literally said gore was used as a punishment in TR but not in other games.

I can understand not liking the death animations in TR, but people getting up their own arse about how the game is using violence in different and more intense ways than others is pretty funny.

poptart_fairy has a new favorite as of 16:56 on May 12, 2015

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

More like Gora Croft

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Like, getting ripped apart by space aliens is so far removed from any kind of reality that it means nothing. It's spectacle. Breaking a limb, or getting hosed up on a sharp branch while getting dragged down a river, or that bit where Lara shoots a dude in the face but it doesn't kill him right away? I can contextualize that, I can imagine that happening to me, I can imagine how it might physically feel for that to happen to me and that's what makes it brutal. Getting ripped in half by monsters? I can't put myself in that situation. I can't empathize like I can with the smaller-scale injury of Tomb Raider.

Seeing your dude get ripped in half is not a punishment, because it's just cool-looking gore. If you don't get this, then I really am done arguing, because you will never get the point I'm making.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

DStecks posted:

Seeing your dude get ripped in half is not a punishment, because it's just cool-looking gore. If you don't get this, then I really am done arguing, because you will never get the point I'm making.

Again, you literally said TR is the only game to use gore as a punishment. You being a big baby about sharp things doesn't make TR unique.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I was always grossed out by the healing animations in the far cry games. holy poo poo that rebar came out of your arm?! :stare:

except for blood dragon because you are a robot in that one

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

I'll fight crime when I feel like it...

Lord Lambeth posted:

I was always grossed out by the healing animations in the far cry games. holy poo poo that rebar came out of your arm?! :stare:

except for blood dragon because you are a robot in that one

*yanks shard of glass out of arm, magically recovers full health.*

*pops joint back into place and fully healed as well*

At least the game had consistency in that you seemed to heal whatever damage was previously done to you. I.E. Arrows getting pulled out or shrapnel from explosions.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
No you see it's as the exec producer said:

Ron Rosenberg posted:

"When people play Lara, they don't really project themselves into the character,"

"They're more like 'I want to protect her.' There's this sort of dynamic of 'I'm going to this adventure with her and trying to protect her.'

It only hurts because all you had to do is mash buttons and you failed as a senpai

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Man, the marketing surrounding TR was so weird. Letting that dude ramble on and airing the strangulation QTE sequence so often threw up a ton of alarm bells. It's funny how that stuff is actually tamer in context. :v:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
People getting really indignant at being "tricked" into an actual emotional response and trying to attribute it to some gross ulterior motive rather than the devs achieving what they set out to do will never stop being funny.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Sleeveless posted:

People getting really indignant at being "tricked" into an actual emotional response and trying to attribute it to some gross ulterior motive rather than the devs achieving what they set out to do will never stop being funny.

It's not so much that I'm being "tricked" into it as it's just not always comfortable for me, personally, to watch. I haven't played Tomb Raider, but some of the healing animations in Far Cry 3 and some of the cutscene violence kinda grossed me out a bit at least the first time I saw them, in a way that "regular" gameplay didn't.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

DStecks posted:

getting hosed up on a sharp branch while getting dragged down a river

that bit where Lara shoots a dude in the face but it doesn't kill him right away?

I can't empathize like I can with the smaller-scale injury of Tomb Raider.

can you really because that'd be pretty f'd up if you could

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
WOMEN ARE PUT ON EARTH FOR US STRONG BOLD MEN TO PROTECT, HOWEVER, LET ME FANTASIZE FOR 60+ HOURS ABOUT HOW WOMEN WILL GET IN DANGER SO I CAN ACTUALLY SAVE THEM. I AM SUCH A HERO AND I DONT WANT LARA CROFT TO BE TORN UP BY A BRANCH OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND UNNNGHHHH GOOOD IM CUMMINNNNGGGG OHHH I LOVE PROTECTING FRAIL WOMEN AND FANTASIZING ABOUT HOW THEY GET HURT SO I CAN SAVE THEM AND GET SEX

*sploooooooooogeee*

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Getting my throat crushed by the giant wolf in Tomb Raider was horrible. The first time. The next five times or so were remarkably less so, because the QTE was set up so that if you hit the button to escape TOO FAST would fail you the same way that hitting it TOO SLOW would got annoying in a hurry. So yeah, the impact of the death scenes definitely were a one-time thing for me.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

ArtIsResistance posted:

can you really because that'd be pretty f'd up if you could

you don't know me

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

oldpainless posted:

More like Gora Croft
This needs more love.

Mousepractice
Jan 30, 2005

A pint of plain is your only man

Hunky Joe posted:

At least the game had consistency in that you seemed to heal whatever damage was previously done to you. I.E. Arrows getting pulled out or shrapnel from explosions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enb0zWbYUik

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

WOMEN ARE PUT ON EARTH FOR US STRONG BOLD MEN TO PROTECT, HOWEVER, LET ME FANTASIZE FOR 60+ HOURS ABOUT HOW WOMEN WILL GET IN DANGER SO I CAN ACTUALLY SAVE THEM. I AM SUCH A HERO AND I DONT WANT LARA CROFT TO BE TORN UP BY A BRANCH OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND UNNNGHHHH GOOOD IM CUMMINNNNGGGG OHHH I LOVE PROTECTING FRAIL WOMEN AND FANTASIZING ABOUT HOW THEY GET HURT SO I CAN SAVE THEM AND GET SEX

*sploooooooooogeee*

Donkey Kong script leaked

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

Okay well I stand corrected but in fairness I only played 3 and 4. I am not sure how you healed yourself when you nearly drowned though in 4...punched yourself in the guy and spit up water?

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Hunky Joe posted:

Okay well I stand corrected but in fairness I only played 3 and 4. I am not sure how you healed yourself when you nearly drowned though in 4...punched yourself in the guy and spit up water?

I have no idea what you're talking about, but it sounds rad.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Hunky Joe posted:

Yeah, drowing yourself is kind of an edge case :v: Generally it was good about picking an animation suitable to the damage you've been taking. My complaint is that 3 (and probably 4, haven't played it yet) seem to have a much smaller selection of animations to use. I reset my broken thumb and wrapped my forearm so many times in FC3.

Hunky Joe
Dec 21, 2005

Arrath posted:

Yeah, drowing yourself is kind of an edge case :v: Generally it was good about picking an animation suitable to the damage you've been taking. My complaint is that 3 (and probably 4, haven't played it yet) seem to have a much smaller selection of animations to use. I reset my broken thumb and wrapped my forearm so many times in FC3.

4 had much the same feeling. Bullet wound had the same animation of popping a bullet out and cauterizing the wound, falling had the same popping your arm back into place. The only difference I felt was I often get hit by so many different whacky attacks that it at least cycles them depending on the last few damagers.

That and I always try to keep well stocking on health syringes too sort of cut down on seeing a ton of animations.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I was the reverse, especially in FC2. I basically never carried syringes cause the healing animations were so cool.

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably
Environmental Station Alpha is a ton of fun and a great Metroid-like game but holy gently caress are the later bosses irritating. They all seem to have an attack that you can't avoid even with this game's responsive movement controls, and there's an unpleasant theme where every boss seems to have 3+ stages that each have more health than the last. Wow, I beat that boss! NOPE, it has 4 more stages now. Good luck!

good game tho, you should check it out if you like those kind of games.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Far Cry 3's multiplayer was flaming pile of poo poo.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

A really creepy and weird thing from the comics is that once a Darkness bearer conceived a kid they died. It had absolutely no bearing on the plot except that Jackie had to wear a condom to have sex or (even creepier) use his powers to create a sex puppet.
Even as a teenager I thought that was kinda weird and trying too hard. Then 10 years later I got back into comics, got to know a few authors' styles and themes and one day googled some of my teenage favorites and realized Darkness was written by Garth Ennis. So many things fell into place.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

For some reason far cry 2 seemed to have a lot more healing animations than far cry 3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaFxErhm8CU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i4s_dBClRY

Maybe the most painful thing I've seen in a game. I hate gore in games because it's usually really unnecessary and gratuitous, these aren't very gory by comparison but the forced first-person perspective and sound effects really makes them painful as gently caress to watch.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Sound direction carries a lot of that, as you say. Even the "non-lethal" stuff in the Arkham games feels like you're murdering dudes because they sound so crunchy.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Once again, Blood Dragon takes everything good about Far Cry and makes it even better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxa23oKC-QE

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Junpei Hyde posted:

Asura's wrath also did this, except I can't even remember if the base game had anything resembling a conclusion.

A few pages back, but no. See, I actually liked Asura's Wrath as dumb as it was. I was enjoying the ride, then the ending hit. It literally just ends on a cliffhanger where the main character gets his poo poo kicked in, his daughter kidnapped and a reveal anyone could have seen coming a mile away and then the game goes "Want to see the ending? Buy the DLC!" So I turned off the console and haven't given capcom any money since.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Nuebot posted:

A few pages back, but no. See, I actually liked Asura's Wrath as dumb as it was. I was enjoying the ride, then the ending hit. It literally just ends on a cliffhanger where the main character gets his poo poo kicked in, his daughter kidnapped and a reveal anyone could have seen coming a mile away and then the game goes "Want to see the ending? Buy the DLC!" So I turned off the console and haven't given capcom any money since.

You paid $60 for a five-hour anime QTE with a boob-staring minigame, you deserve everything you get.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
I know it's a little late, but re: Tomb Raider; I love how all the loving autistic robots come out when someone says the gore is disturbing. It has a whole bunch of excessive, realistic violence that doesn't amount to anything. 'You hosed up, now watch Laura fall off the zipline' is a lot more tasteful than 'WATCH LAURA LAND THROAT FIRST ON A SHARP STICK.' And, no, she isn't my waifu or whatever anime bullshit that guy wrote that allcaps fanfic I didn't read about, it's because it emphasizes her youth and vulnerability and then uses that to make the violence more shocking. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that was the loving intent of it, but it worked too well and leaves me a bit queasy. I don't know, maybe I'm a loving pussy, the fatalities in MKX felt like they were going too far to me too. Eh, just my two cents.

Content; In the Batman Arkham Whatever games, when I miss a punch and gently caress up my combo sometimes it feels like it's the game's fault. Like, two dudes are coming at me, one's getting ready to attack, so I tell Bats 'Punch that dude who's gonna hit you with a pipe.' Then Bats punches the other dude and gets piped in the head. It felt way worse in Origins, too.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Order of Battle: Pacific, why are your campaigns so short? :(

Also, please give me more commanders to use.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Jukebox Hero posted:

I know it's a little late, but re: Tomb Raider; I love how all the loving autistic robots come out when someone says the gore is disturbing. It has a whole bunch of excessive, realistic violence that doesn't amount to anything. 'You hosed up, now watch Laura fall off the zipline' is a lot more tasteful than 'WATCH LAURA LAND THROAT FIRST ON A SHARP STICK.' And, no, she isn't my waifu or whatever anime bullshit that guy wrote that allcaps fanfic I didn't read about, it's because it emphasizes her youth and vulnerability and then uses that to make the violence more shocking. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that was the loving intent of it, but it worked too well and leaves me a bit queasy. I don't know, maybe I'm a loving pussy, the fatalities in MKX felt like they were going too far to me too. Eh, just my two cents.

It's alright, the autistic robots have feelings too.

It's just that they can emotionally disconnect when it comes to electronic videogames.

Vic has a new favorite as of 02:13 on May 13, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I would probably download a mod that turned Lara's blood n guts into glitter and marshmallows.

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes

Lord Lambeth posted:

I would probably download a mod that turned Lara's blood n guts into glitter and marshmallows.

This is a legit good idea. Then pussybitchfaggots like me who don't like their action games to randomly have young women being impaled in the stomach and head can be happy, and the people who aren't bothered by that can be happy too.

This is starting to veer off topic so content; In Kingdom Under Fire: Circle Of Doom groups of enemies with ranged attacks seem to love to fire one at a time instead of in volleys, which leads to me swearing profusely as scratch damage arrows lock me down for 30+ seconds, allowing something actually dangerous to bash my face in. Enemies shouldn't use lockdown tactics on accident, dammit.

Jukebox Hero has a new favorite as of 03:11 on May 13, 2015

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Sleeveless posted:

You paid $60 for a five-hour anime QTE with a boob-staring minigame, you deserve everything you get.

It also has a part where a guy stabs the main character with a sword so long it penetrates the earth. He does this from space.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

A White Guy posted:

Far Cry 3's multiplayer was flaming pile of poo poo.

The co-op was fun when it wasn't bugging out or suddenly becoming obnoxiously difficult for a specific section. Definitely gives the impression of a product that was rushed out quickly. The PVP shooter annoyed me so I didn't play very much of it, which is the case with me and most multiplayer shooters.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Hmm, yes, getting torn in half by angry Necromorphs certainly isn't as at all gory and doesn't ever happen when you're killed in Dead Space. Orr literally any game, ever. Lara Croft is the only protagonist to die violently.

Hmm, I dunno, seeing the second one's head or limbs missing from its body might freak people out more than the first.

muscles like this? posted:

Eh, Nathan Drake regularly gets the poo poo beat out of him up to and including getting gutshot and having to climb out of a train wreck.

That's kind of a bad comparison since that one time Nathan Drake got super hurt he looked his stomach was covered in paint. Uncharted is super fast and loose with the injuries in that game. For example, a grenade six feet away from the guy holding it: Not a whole lotta chunks there huh?

Tomb Raider is a lot more realistic than games like Dead Space or God of War or Mortal Kombat when it comes to injuries- (Especially considering that they'll remember things like 'hey she bandaged that cut on her shoulder from before. Hey remember that stuff that exploded before? Now she's got burns!) so people might wanna compare it to something that's a bit less over the top most of the time when they're arguing how it wasn't that bad you babies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Hmm, I dunno, seeing the second one's head or limbs missing from its body might freak people out more than the first.

Also, in Dead Space you get gory animations because you failed at surviving and then you restart from the latest checkpoint and succeed this time and the gory animations never happened. Meanwhile in Tomb Raider you get impaled through the stomach and then the game continues because that's what was supposed to happen and I don't remember what the other awful mandatory plot things were but the impalement definitely wasn't the only one.