Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Syndicate looks underwhelming as gently caress. After Unity, probably gonna pass on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Lord Lambeth posted:

Which is basically the same reason I liked Ezio. Ubiosft stop trying to write your protagonists, you're no good at it.

Other than being brash and charismatic in their youth, Edward and Ezio aren't really that alike.

Pablo Gigante posted:

The Gamestop preview says Jacob and Evie were raised as Assassins so maybe not? They'll probably do the same thing anyway though. I'll still play it because I'm a sucker

I'm glad about this part too, though how it's implemented remains to be seen. But we haven't seen an Assassin raised in the order since Altaïr. I get why, since going through training and all that stuff makes a good intro for the player too, but it's gotten kind of old.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Christ, that looks way too samey.

I think I'm done with AssCreed until they do something akin to Black Flag with how drastically different it was.

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.
I still say they need to basically smush Sid Miers Pirates together with the Black Flag stuff and you could just print money.

dancing is still super hard

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The whole reveal trailer looked like Victorian era anti-Tory propaganda.

I approve.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

AC VI owned since desmond was dead and you weren't truly a stupid rear end assassin

Let's not put the cart before the horse here vbc

we only have some trailers and footage from VI

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

it really sucks that ubisoft is burning all these novel historical settings with lovely rear end assassins creed

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Pre alpha status aside, they've totally massacred London by the looks of it. Overwhelming dull on top of that.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Kinda wish they did different play styles for different assassin's. I dunno but it would be cool if maybe one assassin dude didn't climb buildings or whatever but he did disguises or something.

Just something to really make the members of the Assassin Guild or whatever different from one another aside from clothes and location.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Skeezy posted:

Kinda wish they did different play styles for different assassin's. I dunno but it would be cool if maybe one assassin dude didn't climb buildings or whatever but he did disguises or something.

Just something to really make the members of the Assassin Guild or whatever different from one another aside from clothes and location.

Bizarrely enough, they had a system basically just like this in Liberation. Lots of good ideas in that game marred by terrible, buggy execution.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Skeezy posted:

It's probably because Assassin's Creed is the Climb On Buildings Jacket Physics Simulator 20xx. If they were willing to experiment with other sneaking styles, I think they'd make them into very different-looking spin-off titles. Who knows, tough, maybe they already are? They put out that 2D stealth game a couple weeks ago, maybe they're trying to branch that into what you're describing.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Watched the trailers.

Feels like they said "Well... Rogue was praised, let's do that and add in a female character!"

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lmao the NPC pop-in visible even in the trailer, so it's here to stay, huh? For christ's sake.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I guess it might be related to getting the game to perform better than AC:U, but it looked like Syndicate has a lot fewer building interiors than AC:U had. Then again, there might be just as many interiors, only that in the hundred years that passed between the games, someone figured out that having doors in their doorways would be a good idea.

Also, that one part in the middle of the trailer was basically Grand Theft Carriage, they even included street lights that fall down if you as much as look at them.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

ymgve posted:

I guess it might be related to getting the game to perform better than AC:U, but it looked like Syndicate has a lot fewer building interiors than AC:U had. Then again, there might be just as many interiors, only that in the hundred years that passed between the games, someone figured out that having doors in their doorways would be a good idea.

Also, that one part in the middle of the trailer was basically Grand Theft Carriage, they even included street lights that fall down if you as much as look at them.

It also seems to be scaling back on the framerate-murdering hair tech from Unity that didn't look very good.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Glad they're adding in whistling again. I think it's funny that they had an entire scene for that where it's like they were just saying, "HERE IT IS! We put it back in! Now shut up!" Seriously though, that alone will make things a lot more bearable.

Evie seems like a good character and Jacob seems like an rear end in a top hat, so... if I can play more as Evie, I will be. Other than that, the other ideas they seem to be doing are nice. "Henry," the Indian assassin, seems like a really cool character so he'll probably die around sequence 8.

Gameplay is essentially Unity with additions. Hope the fighting really is better and faster like they claim. I'll probably give this one a shot... I'm not expecting Unity levels of bad, but I'm also not expecting fantastic gameplay after that trailer. It left a lot to be desired. I appreciate that they're showing what looks to be "real" gameplay in that gameplay trailer, but it's pretty clear that there's a poo poo-ton that still needs to be done, and I don't think 5 months alone will solve all of that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

The Grimace posted:

Glad they're adding in whistling again. I think it's funny that they had an entire scene for that where it's like they were just saying, "HERE IT IS! We put it back in! Now shut up!" Seriously though, that alone will make things a lot more bearable.

Evie seems like a good character and Jacob seems like an rear end in a top hat, so... if I can play more as Evie, I will be. Other than that, the other ideas they seem to be doing are nice. "Henry," the Indian assassin, seems like a really cool character so he'll probably die around sequence 8.

Gameplay is essentially Unity with additions. Hope the fighting really is better and faster like they claim. I'll probably give this one a shot... I'm not expecting Unity levels of bad, but I'm also not expecting fantastic gameplay after that trailer. It left a lot to be desired. I appreciate that they're showing what looks to be "real" gameplay in that gameplay trailer, but it's pretty clear that there's a poo poo-ton that still needs to be done, and I don't think 5 months alone will solve all of that.

I am ok with both Fryes, but then again i have a soft spot for the puckish/dickhead rogue trope. If they arkhamize or at least better the combat, ill be ok. my guess is we will see better gameplay at E3. I hope its not just, gang fights. i want to fight templar bobbies and torries.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

asscreed 3 was funny because it started off fun and the character you were playing was actually accomplishing poo poo in a meaningful way and they woops he's a templar lol now play as this native who gets shat on by all the white people and the game is loving awful

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

hiddenriverninja posted:

I think people like it because Edward didn't really give a crap about being a capital-A Assassin.

This is what I'm enjoying about Black Flag. The characters are varied, interesting and aren't always about doing The Right Thing.

There are a series of missions where Edward talks to a former slave about freeing his brothers and his response is "I don't give a gently caress unless I'm getting paid." Also thank god they made the snoozefest modern-era bullshit less obnoxious.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I never had any real problems with Unity and enjoyed it. Feeling pretty meh on Syndicate based off of what's been shown so far.

Victorian London excites me, but I'm not feeling the characters yet. Arno was never really fleshed out in the pre-release stuff, so I'll wait for more.

Those pre-order prices though....jesus...120 CAD bucks for the game + season pass? My impulsiveness paid off last time in that I got a free copy of Farcry 4, but still. Ugh.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Yeah, they're gonna have to prove to me that the season pass will be worth it before I buy anything like that again. And that price is pretty awful.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Pre-ordering games is stupid, but pre-ordering DLC is even stupider.

I'm kinda enthused by the setting, but given the experience with Unity I'll be waiting until it goes on discount.

I think more than anything, this announcement confirms that Ubisoft aren't even going to do anything daring or even mildly outside the box for future entries in the series. They're basically treating it like an EA Sports franchise at this point. As long as the settings remain interesting I'll keep buying them (but again, 9 months after release on steep discount), but I can't ever see them innovating or reinventing this game again.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

asscreed 3 was funny because it started off fun and the character you were playing was actually accomplishing poo poo in a meaningful way and they woops he's a templar lol now play as this native who gets shat on by all the white people and the game is loving awful

Wandering around America slaughtering guards as preteen Ranahangdong was the only redeeming feature of that game though.

I woulda liked Conner if they'd have played up his Nativeness rather than making him a boring Ubisoft hero. I really dug his final design.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Even if Jacob's kind of a dick, there's absolutely no way he can be more unlikeable than Connor. Jesus loving Christ.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What tickles my funny bone is that the game is in apparently pre-alpha stages. Now I don't know much about game developing but when I hear prealpha I imagine textureless polygons or very rudimentary models in featureless voids going through the motions in order to test the engine and physics and stuff like that, not stuff that is basically 80% done with some janky animations and noticeable pop-in that will still make it into the final version of the game.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Calaveron posted:

What tickles my funny bone is that the game is in apparently pre-alpha stages. Now I don't know much about game developing but when I hear prealpha I imagine textureless polygons or very rudimentary models in featureless voids going through the motions in order to test the engine and physics and stuff like that, not stuff that is basically 80% done with some janky animations and noticeable pop-in that will still make it into the final version of the game.

It's just an arbitrary label really, pre-alpha means different things at different companies. They've only stuck the label on there as a criticism-deflector, so that when people whinge about pop-in or whatever they can just point to the label and go, oh we're not finished yet MORON. Even if the thing being complained about never gets changed in the final product :v:

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

The Grimace posted:

Even if Jacob's kind of a dick, there's absolutely no way he can be more unlikeable than Connor. Jesus loving Christ.

I want to like the concept behind Connor but good god he's an idiot. Watching him in cutscenes is just painful.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I saw the trailer of the new game tonight. I saw some add for a new AC game and my initial reaction was "jesus loving christ this won't ever stop." Then I saw the setting and got a little excited (particularly when he drops his top hat for the traditional hood), but after Unity there's no loving way I'm buying this at release.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Replaying all of the games before I give Unity a try. I did like 4 assassinations in the original game before I realized the rest were all exactly the same and just moved on. I made it halfway through AC:B before I got bored with Ezio (Honestly I just have played all of those games too much). gently caress Connor I'm not even going to try making it all the way through AC3.

Onward to AC4. Edward was a fun character, though I don't know if I like him as well as I liked Ezio. I did like his character development - going from greedy gently caress to assassin one murdered friend at a time. And to date it still has the best line from any video game I can remember off the top of my head.

"In a world without gold we might have been heroes!"

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I'm sorry, the super obvious building pop-in just kills any sense of exploration for me. Any sense of "Whee! Let me dick around in a virtual time machine!" just completely dies on the vine when the whole thing is jankier than poo poo.

I don't mind iffy animations or even a chunky framerate, but that texture pop for buildings and crowds is goddamn atrocious. Again.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Ice Fist posted:

I saw the trailer of the new game tonight. I saw some add for a new AC game and my initial reaction was "jesus loving christ this won't ever stop." Then I saw the setting and got a little excited (particularly when he drops his top hat for the traditional hood), but after Unity there's no loving way I'm buying this at release.

Pretty much my same reaction.
Loved 4 to death, just give us that in this new setting, that's all I want, it doesn't have to be special, it doesn't have to innovate, just give me a game that doesn't have performance issues and game breaking bugs set in Victorian London.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Calaveron posted:

All "pre-alpha" means in this case is "please don't hold the conspicuous pop-up against us even though it's definitely going to be in the final game"

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I don't find that trailer too exciting and it sucks that both environment and npc pop-in are apparently a part of the deal now (especially visible during the carriage sequences) but I'll buy it because I don't feel burned out yet and the carriage riding looks rad. However rip sword fighting, I thought the inventory system from Unity was fantastic so it's sad to see the next series installment with all those various melee weapon types gone.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

You should all be ashamed of yourselves: http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/video-ubisoft-says-it-will-learn-from-assassin-s-creed-unity-mistakes/0149386

quote:

“Every year we take risks. This one we maybe have taken too many risks,” one of the developers in the IGN video you can see below admitted. Another added: “It's like your kid being told you're ugly and you're fat. And that hurts. Your little heart breaks a little bit.”

quote:

“For people to work so hard on something for four years and then to have the reception that it had you're leaving a piece of yourself in that thing.”

“The worst thing that can happen actually when you release a game is to have one of your bugs becoming the front cover of the entire internet. Nobody's happy when four years' of hard work is just imaged with a bug.”

“Personally some people took it on themselves that they'd made mistakes but at the same time I do feel for the fans who felt that it somehow didn't meet their expectations. That's disappointing as well and that's something we can never take for granted as a developer.”

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Developers are huge pussy nerds who can't stand their grandstanding to be questioned.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Eh. I think it's fair to say "it really sucks when you spend years of your life on something and everyone hates it," especially when that something is something you have no control over the release date for. There probably wasn't anyone on the team who thought Unity was ready to ship but Ubisoft wasn't going to delay their yearly moneymaker.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Plus if I recall correctly, the first quoted guy was also kind of chuckling at himself. And the video included some very specific jabs and the famous faceless model. It could be total propaganda and they've learned nothing (the ones in charge of making decisions anyway) but the video definitely didn't shy away from the fact that things did not go well and they need to do better. I guess we'll see if they will. I'd rather see devs at least pay lip service to improvement than scream about how scrubs just didn't understand their vision.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I can totally see where they're coming from. Putting so much effort and work into something that gets constantly slammed isn't an easy thing to sit back and watch.

BUT

At the same time the developers need to acknowledge that if there are mistakes made it's something they need to own up to. The guy saying "Nobody's happy when four years of work is imaged with a bug", but WHY did that bug manage to slip out despite four years of hard work? How could the developers have let that past? Did the game not go through QA? Did they not spend enough time on QA? Did QA catch it and the developers ignored the reports?

You can't blame consumers for being mean and cruel when the developers either didn't test their game enough to find these horrible bugs or when the developers didn't fix these bugs that were reported to them. You can't blame it on consumers when the framerates dip and drop into single digits, you can't blame them when their characters fall through the world or get stuck in animations, etc etc etc.

You CAN blame the publisher for rushing a shipping date. Most people should be blaming Ubisoft instead of whining about how sad it is their beautiful baby is being mocked and derided. They should be saying to Ubi execs "THIS is why the extra month or two is worth the lack of a holiday release!"

Too bad the devs can't do that for fear of losing their jobs.

khy fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 13, 2015

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Solution, don't make it a loving yearly franchise with next to nothing new mechanically every year.

Even better: scrap the Assassin's Creed brand and make a new series that lets you be a parkour time traveller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Eh. I think it's fair to say "it really sucks when you spend years of your life on something and everyone hates it," especially when that something is something you have no control over the release date for. There probably wasn't anyone on the team who thought Unity was ready to ship but Ubisoft wasn't going to delay their yearly moneymaker.

Yet it probably ended up costing Ubisoft big time between making all of the planned DLC for Unity free and season pass holders being able to redeem a brand new game that came out at the same time as Unity (Far Cry 4).

• Locked thread