Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

ImpAtom posted:

The Mystic Quest thing was a fake scam.

Unlike a real scam like Final Fantasy: All the Bravest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Under the Apple Tree is also really good. Hell, CC's OST and most of its characters are really fun and good. It's just Genesis and Angelo making GBS threads things up. New Turk lady is cool and Zack is a fun protag and the old FF7 cast is handled pretty well.

I'm enjoying it but it seems like every Crisis Core LP goes like this:

Good quality, no talking over cutscenes, in English.

Pick two out of three.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

So The After Years is now on Steam. I think I missed most of the discussion on it, and having just finished FFIV I'm curious. What exactly is so bad about it?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Zombie Samurai posted:

So The After Years is now on Steam. I think I missed most of the discussion on it, and having just finished FFIV I'm curious. What exactly is so bad about it?

it's not the psp version. it's hideous. the story sucks. it looks like a phone ui.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zombie Samurai posted:

Terrible story, choppy pacing intended for cell phones, non-stop retreads of locations and bosses and plot points of FFIV, huge stable of characters the majority of whom are garbage which leads to almost Chrono Cross levels of character underdevelopment, grindy elements, a god-awful villain, and the implication that said trash villain killed previous several previous final fantasy games worth of characters and worlds.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
It reuses a lot of plot points from FFIV, and the final villain's motivations are really stupid. On top of that there's heavy implications that (spoiler about the ending): the worlds of the other NES/SNES FF games were destroyed by the final boss. The non-PSP versions also made the terrible choice to have randomly generated treasures at the end of the bonus dungeons.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I could really go for a remake/sequel to one of the SNES games or a retroclone FF like Dimensions that isn't hideous and doesn't have a cellphone UI that was designed in four seconds to be honest

It's loving embarrassing that they're selling FF3/FF4/TAY in that format on Steam ostensibly as PC games

FatalT
Sep 11, 2001

I'm BLUE da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee da ba di, da ba dee...
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD just unlocked on PS4 a bit ago. I played FFX like a decade ago on PS2 but never played FFX-2 so I'm super excited. I'm going through the beginning of X now!

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Is there a reason to upgrade to FFX HD PS4 if I own it for PS3?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Dross posted:

no.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dross posted:

Not unless you really care about being able to use the original soundtrack. The models and lighting are a bit sharper too. :effort:

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Dross posted:

If you have a PS4 and a PS3 and you have the PS3 version and not the Vita version and you want to play on Vita without buying the Vita version and you want to play on a TV but you're thinking of getting rid of your PS3 then yeah, it's a no brainer

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Square-Enix released their results for the financial year: http://www.hd.square-enix.com/eng/news/pdf/15q4slides.pdf

Here's some highlights:

- Good results largely due MMO subscriptions and mobile gaming
- No retail games were highlighted in the results or the accompanying press release (Poor Type-0 HD)
- Their operating margin was a fairly impressive 10%
- $70 million was the loss attributed in the inventories for mainly the the content production account. The content production account are the "funds [Square-Enix] is investing into game development. This is [their] future revenue source, and keeping this well-developed is the key." In the past, it had been increased due to the the depreciation of the Japanese yen against the British Pound
- They note that new consoles are largely successful in Western countries but mobile is successful worldwide. Mobile is also expected to continue to grow rapidly in the coming years
- Big emphasis on competing through a variety of different business models and services
- Will reboot old IPs for both consoles and smartphones. Will also create new IPs
- They will partner up with other companies with their IPs. Doesn't specify if it's for console (Microsoft with Rise of the Tomb Raider) or mobile (DeNA for Record Keeper)
- Sales Units now include digital sales of games released in the past two years. They forecast strong digital sales in North America and Europe
- Rise of the Tomb Raider and Just Cause 3 are Holiday 2015
- Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Dragon Quest Heroes, and Star Ocean 5 are all TBA.
- Their breakdown from here and their six month results suggest MMO revenue is solid and stable but mobile revenue is extremely good with room for growth. Record Keeper looks to be a huge hit
- Amusement division is stable. Publication division is strong due to high margins and growth in digital publication
- Expect strong results for next year coming from new AAA console releases and mobile growth in digital entertainment

It seems that mobile will eventually become the number one source of the company's revenue and profit. This includes mobile games such as Schoolgirl Strikers. This game is successful, fully developed in house by longtime SE staff, and not reliant on a legacy Square-Enix IP. It leaves Japanese console development in an awkward middleground between Eidos AAA games aimed at Western audiences and Japanese developed mobile games which are finding both domestic and worldwide success. There is a question about whether or not their Japanese developers would be better off making mobile games if they can't compete in AAA on a global level.

As for why Square-Enix and many other Japanese companies are pursuing mobile? Here's the relative performance of a few stock on the Tokyo Stock Exchange for the past five years:

Orange is Square-Enix
Green is Capcom.
Red Is Konami
Blue is Mixi

Mixi was a once popular social network that lost marketshare to competitors like Facebook Japan and GREE. The company was on a downward spiral for years. Then, it released a mobile game that went on to become a hit and their stock become red hot. It helped that this game was developed in-house and they owned the rights to it. It's market cap is now higher than that of Square-Enix. Can you tell when Mixi released Monster Strike?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I kind of want to know what 'Schoolgirl Strikers' is but I also don't want to type that into Google.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

gently caress mobile gaming. Or rather, gently caress what it's doing to previously sane companies who now want a sweet taste of that bottled lightning.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Sakurazuka posted:

I kind of want to know what 'Schoolgirl Strikers' is but I also don't want to type that into Google.

Considering the threads I've seen you post in, I find that hard to believe. :v:

But yeah, the mobile thing sucks. I understand its popularity in Japan completely though.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Sakurazuka posted:

It's a F2P game where the selling point is that it plays like a visual novel with JRPG elements and a dress-up/fashion element. The story is about school girls who gain magical powers and enter an academy to do battle with each other. The combat is similar to Dissidia with slower pacing. It was developed by people who worked on various DS/PSP games. The game is known for featuring a number of popular Japanese voice actors.

It recently broke 3 million downloads and is a solid success but not a Puzzle and Dragons or Monster Strike or even a Final Fantasy Record Keeper. Its ranking on the Japanese iOS charts suggests it makes between $15,000 to $30,000 a day. However, it's one of the first Square-Enix mobile games that was made completely in-house with staff that formerly specialized in console game development.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh, I was hoping it was about schoolgirls playing football.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Mobile gaming is a bubble just waiting to burst guys, don't bother getting excited, Square will return to its roots soon enough.

*Ten years later* Yep, that bubble's gonna pop aaaaany minute now.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Gologle posted:

Mobile gaming is a bubble just waiting to burst guys, don't bother getting excited, Square will return to its roots soon enough.

*Ten years later* Yep, that bubble's gonna pop aaaaany minute now.

Mobile gaming as a whole isn't, but I can't imagine it's an endless well of riches either. There's only so many long-lasting timewasters a person is going to commit to at any given time, after all.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Kanfy posted:

Mobile gaming as a whole isn't, but I can't imagine it's an endless well of riches either. There's only so many long-lasting timewasters a person is going to commit to at any given time, after all.

then how come people still post on something awful

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shitposting is a game anyone can enjoy.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

corn in the bible posted:

then how come people still post on something awful

1 huge timewaster decreases available time on other huge timewasters.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

gently caress mobile gaming. Or rather, gently caress what it's doing to previously sane companies who now want a sweet taste of that bottled lightning.

i'm on record about how little of a poo poo i give about mobile gaming but it makes complete sense. mobile gaming's an insanely huge moneymaker. poo poo, going off what sunning said their second most popular ios game makes 20-30k a day. that's not exactly chickenfeed, especially to a company that was having several really rocky years in a row

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Wait a minute...

Dirty Deeds Done
Apr 8, 2009

OI OI OI OI OI OI
Would play MMO where all characters are fat to better represent player-base.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Dirty Deeds Done posted:

Would play MMO where all characters are fat to better represent player-base.

you're calling yourself fat here, just fyi

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Aw, I missed my chance for the PS4 Blitzball theme, didn't I? :( I forgot the game was dropping today.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Mega64 posted:

Don't bother with Tidus's, Lulu's, Kihmari's, or Wakka's ultimate weapons (unless you really like Blitzball for Wakka's).

So I'm late to this but it's the only thing I remember clearly about the game and had a question for you HD owners. Is Tidus' ultimate weapon still linked to an item that you can skip and never get if you miss it? Or did they change it so you can go back and get it later? I only remember because I got screwed by this.

I eventually restarted just to get it, but gave up after completing the weapon.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

PunkBoy posted:

Aw, I missed my chance for the PS4 Blitzball theme, didn't I? :( I forgot the game was dropping today.

If you really had your heart set on it you could make an EU account and pre-order for Friday!

An EU account is handy to have around anyway, for all the times you'd want to buy something late and maybe worse, for up to twice the price.

Ugato posted:

So I'm late to this but it's the only thing I remember clearly about the game and had a question for you HD owners. Is Tidus' ultimate weapon still linked to an item that you can skip and never get if you miss it? Or did they change it so you can go back and get it later? I only remember because I got screwed by this.

I eventually restarted just to get it, but gave up after completing the weapon.

You could always go back for it, but in some versions (including HD) if you miss it the first time it's then guarded by a ridiculous superboss.

Tempo 119 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 12, 2015

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Tempo 119 posted:

You could always go back for it, but in some versions (including HD) if you miss it the first time it's then guarded by a ridiculous superboss.

In the same place? Because I remember going back there. The item was technically there, iirc, but there was a ladder or something going up to it that no longer existed if you exited the boss room without picking up said item. Though maybe having not played the game for... uh... almost 14 years apparently... has muddled a few things in the old memory. I'll do some more research when I get home to see if I can give more specifics.

E: though I do remember through all my googling that I had the non-super boss version, which was just the normal American release. I know I was locked out of quite a few things and that played a small part in me finally just giving up on the game.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 19:00 on May 12, 2015

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

The X games are surprisingly obtuse and punishing for completionists. I think that's one reason I've never bothered replaying them, despite being quite fond of both.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Ugato posted:

E: though I do remember through all my googling that I had the non-super boss version, which was just the normal American release. I know I was locked out of quite a few things and that played a small part in me finally just giving up on the game.

If anything ever told you that you were locked out of anything relating to someone's Celestial Weapons or Anima it was outright wrong. Nothing relating to either of them is permanently missable.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Fungah! posted:

i'm on record about how little of a poo poo i give about mobile gaming but it makes complete sense. mobile gaming's an insanely huge moneymaker. poo poo, going off what sunning said their second most popular ios game makes 20-30k a day. that's not exactly chickenfeed, especially to a company that was having several really rocky years in a row

The problem with mobile gaming is that I think there's definitely a bubble effect going on. Most of the ultra-profitable mobile games operate off microtransactions and whales, and if the market gets oversaturated then there just won't be enough of these profitable chumps to go around. Of course, there are many mobile games that do succeed off the standard 'one and done' buying system, but we all know that's not enough for a lot of companies, and we're gonna see bilking out the rear end in the form of microtransactions and 'energy' systems.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

The problem with mobile gaming is that I think there's definitely a bubble effect going on. Most of the ultra-profitable mobile games operate off microtransactions and whales, and if the market gets oversaturated then there just won't be enough of these profitable chumps to go around. Of course, there are many mobile games that do succeed off the standard 'one and done' buying system, but we all know that's not enough for a lot of companies, and we're gonna see bilking out the rear end in the form of microtransactions and 'energy' systems.

Was it Zynga who first did energy systems? Well whoever it was, deserves a special place in hell.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ugato posted:

In the same place? Because I remember going back there. The item was technically there, iirc, but there was a ladder or something going up to it that no longer existed if you exited the boss room without picking up said item. Though maybe having not played the game for... uh... almost 14 years apparently... has muddled a few things in the old memory. I'll do some more research when I get home to see if I can give more specifics.

FFX is actually very forgiving on missables. The International version and HD re-release stick a few optional superbosses in obnoxious places, but you can Zanmato your way past them if you want something they're blocking (more than you care about seeing their mechanics and beating them in a fair fight).

Courtesy of GameFAQs, this is what's outright missable:
- A No Encounters weapon (normally it's only on armor; no major benefit except it's the most convenient source of No Encounters in the first place)
- A Magic Counter armor (normally it's only on weapons; some arguable strategic benefit)
- A 0-slotted Longsword (utterly useless)
- Master Sphere consumables (nice enough, but consumable)
- Al Bhed Primers 19 through 22 (handy, but you can also import them from another save)
- Wantz's endgame shop with blank 4-slotted equipment for full customization (probably the most useful thing on this list)
- A Blitzball player named Durren (depends on how much you care about Blitzball and if he's any good)

And this is what's a temporary pain due to superbosses if you miss them when you're not blocked:
- Besaid and Macalania destruction sphere treasures (and consequently Anima, and therefore fully upgrading Yuna's weapon)
- Sun Crest (for upgrading Tidus's weapon)
- One of the Jecht Spheres (for unlocking Auron's overdrives; NB that getting this one without dealing with the superboss means major backtracking after Spherimorph and before proceeding a short way further into Macalania)
- Energy Blast (Valefor's second overdrive)

Personally I'd just go for the Al Bhed Primers and making sure Wantz's shop is unlocked, though it's in your best interest to save yourself the headache with the items on the second list (except maybe the Jecht Sphere due to all the backtracking it requires).

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Dragonatrix posted:

If anything ever told you that you were locked out of anything relating to someone's Celestial Weapons or Anima it was outright wrong. Nothing relating to either of them is permanently missable.

Fair enough. I meant the dark Aeons is what I was "locked out of". And they gave you drops with the ribbon effect. Or something. From what I gathered, you could do the optional boss-things in the calm lands to get some of these, but there wasn't a way to get them for everyone on your team...? So you could only get 1 "ribbon", 1 hp limit break, etc.

Anyway, the thing I was referring to before for Tidus' ultimate weapon was the Sun Crest. Looks like you just keep using the stairs until the chest appears containing it, though apparently no one knew that at the time I was trying to find out. Or it wasn't widely known anyway. I remember more clearly now after looking some of it up. It normally sat on the small platform to the left, but after you beat Yunalesca and leave it goes away, I believe. I remember going back to that room on my first play through trying to find the sun crest and there was definitely not an evil Bahamut thing there, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Jecht Sphere and Energy Blast are the worst ones because you can't get them the first time you're there, you have to go back for them. I back-tracked the whole way since I didn't want to have to deal the Dark Valefor and everyone acts like you've just left. :v:

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

you can get energy blast your first time there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Eh, gently caress it. Playing FFX HD on PS4 right now. Don't own a PS3 or a Vita. It has been 10 years since I've played FFX, which I liked a lot, and I figure I need to use my Bloodborne machine for something other than Bloodborne. Appreciate the list of missables.