Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Reynold posted:

I don't see how this is the case. I read the FAQ as implying that the Assault Concussion Missiles' 1 damage done to each hull zone is done separately from the attack pool, and page 16 of the L2P guide clearly shows in an attack example in which a Concentrate Fire dial is used to add a blue die before the opponent selects his Brace Token. Am I missing something?

Sorry, that is entirely a brain fart on my point. i meant that you add your dice after ROLLING, not sure where I pulled the tokens thing from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Phrosphor posted:

Sorry, that is entirely a brain fart on my point. i meant that you add your dice after ROLLING, not sure where I pulled the tokens thing from.

You may want to roll before they use defense tokens anyway, there's a good chance of getting an accuracy result to block that annoying Evade or Redirect (or Brace).

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Phrosphor posted:

It's all good, I've been encountering fiddly rules interpretations lately and IT HAS SHAKEN MY BELIEFS TO THE VERY CORE. The other day I was playing x-wing with a buddy, both he and I have been messing with the game since release, and he insisted that he roll defensive dice BEFORE I modified my attack dice, which is straight up wrong, and as a result I've been questioning and rechecking everything lately.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

vuk83 posted:

Only one critical effect per attack. So if you roll three criticals only one works and the rest are regular damage. That also means wtih the missile you can either resolve a crit or you can resolve the missiles special.

Hrmm, makes me want to redo my mathhammered loadouts for the Gladiators then.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
The biggest "Aha" moment from reading that is that if capital ships can complete an entire movement that goes through a enemy ship they dont cause a collision or stop... Guess my speed 4 corvettes are gonna start flying through some VSDs.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Pash posted:

The biggest "Aha" moment from reading that is that if capital ships can complete an entire movement that goes through a enemy ship they dont cause a collision or stop... Guess my speed 4 corvettes are gonna start flying through some VSDs.

That's how it works in X-Wing too, ships don't "collide" so long as you can get past them on your maneuver.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Pash posted:

I made that mistake in my learning game of Armada. I got behind the VSD, but was at speed 4, and even with a manuver dial action, couldn't move anywhere but right in front of the VSD. The corvette just vaporized under those forward batteries.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

It looks like Wave 1 is shipping out and should be at retailers this week or early next week.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Kai Tave posted:

That's how it works in X-Wing too, ships don't "collide" so long as you can get past them on your maneuver.
The bigger difference is that ALL movement in Armada only cares about final positions and ignores moving "through" anything. This includes obstacles too, you only "hit" them if you overlap.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

FuSchnick posted:

The bigger difference is that ALL movement in Armada only cares about final positions and ignores moving "through" anything. This includes obstacles too, you only "hit" them if you overlap.

And even more important, you can fly outside the play area as long as you finish within it :) This might've happened during my Corvette galaxy sightseeing tour in one game I played :)

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Zerf posted:

And even more important, you can fly outside the play area as long as you finish within it :) This might've happened during my Corvette galaxy sightseeing tour in one game I played :)

So it's not like X-Wing where mystical omnipresent capital ships don't blow you up the instant you step outside of the gamespace?! :eyepop: It guess it kind of makes sense since you're playing WITH the capital ships in this one and they are too busying shooting each other to pay attention to you.

This is the kind of misconceptions you get from only glancing through the rulebook or going "yeah i saw a video so i already know this part" you miss very important tidbits like that.

On another topic, we don't know we're gonna do it, but me and my brother though it would be neat to combine Armada and the X-Wing miniatures game into one super game. Like have squadrons that are engaged go over to a separate area and play out a mini-game of X-Wing to settle who comes out of it. Sure it'd make things take twice as long as they already but i think it sounds like a neat idea!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So Shahrazad from Magic, the Gathering basically? Fuuuuuuck that.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I'm not familiar with that, did Magic already try to do something like that and fail? :ohdear:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So it's not like X-Wing where mystical omnipresent capital ships don't blow you up the instant you step outside of the gamespace?! :eyepop: It guess it kind of makes sense since you're playing WITH the capital ships in this one and they are too busying shooting each other to pay attention to you.

its an omnipresent deathstar this time

that for some reason shoots its own guys

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I'm not familiar with that, did Magic already try to do something like that and fail? :ohdear:

Card Text:
Players play a MAGIC subgame, using their libraries as their decks. Each player who doesn't win the subgame loses half his or her life, rounded up.

It's pretty universally hated.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

This is the kind of misconceptions you get from only glancing through the rulebook or going "yeah i saw a video so i already know this part" you miss very important tidbits like that.
Your ship is still destroyed if you end up going off the map. But the movement tool is allowed to go over the edge, as long as your ship ends up being fully within the map after moving.

Doesn't X-Wing allow you to do a move where the template might go off the map, but the end position of your ship is still on it?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

On another topic, we don't know we're gonna do it, but me and my brother though it would be neat to combine Armada and the X-Wing miniatures game into one super game. Like have squadrons that are engaged go over to a separate area and play out a mini-game of X-Wing to settle who comes out of it. Sure it'd make things take twice as long as they already but i think it sounds like a neat idea!

From someone who's lived through the heady days of "Let's play War in the East and then, get this, instead of using the CRT, just resolve everything that happens inside the hex using a game of PanzerBlitz," let me tell you that at the end of that path lies madness.

pbpancho
Feb 17, 2004
-=International Sales=-

FuSchnick posted:

Your ship is still destroyed if you end up going off the map. But the movement tool is allowed to go over the edge, as long as your ship ends up being fully within the map after moving.

Doesn't X-Wing allow you to do a move where the template might go off the map, but the end position of your ship is still on it?

Yes. For example a hard three when you're at 45 degrees to the board edge will bring you off and then back on, and that's fine.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

The guy at my local game shop wants to find a way to combine armada, x-wing, and imperial assault. He figured it would be one massive day long game.

I mentioned that he could recreate the battle scene at the end of Jedi, and he never even thought of that. I don't know enough about Imperial assault, but I bet you could rig up something where you get a certain number of turns in Assault for every turn in Armada. The rebels have to take down the shield generator before all the rebel ships are destroyed. Not sure if there will be enough time for small x-wing battles while the assault players take multiple turns.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Orvin posted:

The guy at my local game shop wants to find a way to combine armada, x-wing, and imperial assault. He figured it would be one massive day long game.

I mentioned that he could recreate the battle scene at the end of Jedi, and he never even thought of that. I don't know enough about Imperial assault, but I bet you could rig up something where you get a certain number of turns in Assault for every turn in Armada. The rebels have to take down the shield generator before all the rebel ships are destroyed. Not sure if there will be enough time for small x-wing battles while the assault players take multiple turns.

That would be pretty loving cool.

Thing is, wouldn't It all kind of hinge on the ImpAss Rebels succeeding in their game? Without the Death Star II shields down, it ends up firing on the bulk of the Rebel fleet and ultimately fires on Endor. Would kind of make the victories in X-Wing and Armada pointless since in RotJ the Imperials only needed to keep the Rebels from fleeing long enough for the Death Star to go hog wild.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

AndyElusive posted:

That would be pretty loving cool.

Thing is, wouldn't It all kind of hinge on the ImpAss Rebels succeeding in their game? Without the Death Star II shields down, it ends up firing on the bulk of the Rebel fleet and ultimately fires on Endor. Would kind of make the victories in X-Wing and Armada pointless since in RotJ the Imperials only needed to keep the Rebels from fleeing long enough for the Death Star to go hog wild.

I think the way you'd need to go with a joint game like that is to stagger them one at a time instead of running them all at once and then have the results of one cross over into the next game you play like a branching campaign. So using the Death Star II battle as an example if the ImpAss team succeeds then the shields go down and the Rebel fleet wants to defeat the Imperial player so their fighter squadrons have a clear shot at blowing up the Death Star. If the ImpAss players fail then objectives shift and it becomes about the Rebel player engaging in a fighting retreat as they work to buy enough time for their forces to regroup and jump to hyperspace before the Imperial player wipes them all out.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

We had always played X-Wing AND Armada with the assumption that if base of the ship passed the edge at all peroid you lost that ship.

If Impass had Battlefield or COD style edges of the map to walk off of I'd probably had done that at some point as well.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

Kai Tave posted:

I think the way you'd need to go with a joint game like that is to stagger them one at a time instead of running them all at once and then have the results of one cross over into the next game you play like a branching campaign. So using the Death Star II battle as an example if the ImpAss team succeeds then the shields go down and the Rebel fleet wants to defeat the Imperial player so their fighter squadrons have a clear shot at blowing up the Death Star. If the ImpAss players fail then objectives shift and it becomes about the Rebel player engaging in a fighting retreat as they work to buy enough time for their forces to regroup and jump to hyperspace before the Imperial player wipes them all out.
Finish it up with a X-wing game that is just a really long corridor with a few loops and turns. Rebels want to make it to the end and destroy the generator and the inhibitor tower.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

At the end of each Combat Phase roll 3 attack die, for every *hit* spread one flame token from each flame token currently on the board. Ships caught in the explosion suffer 1 critical hit.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Wow, the salvation Title for the Nebulon B gives your long range red dice the same average damage (1 per die) as black dice but far swingier. With a 3 red dice attack from Salvation you have ~40% chance of doing 4+ damage.

EDIT: That front arc averages 3 damage per shot, with a ~61% chance of doing 3 or more. Move at speed one, blow the front off a VSD.

hooman fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 12, 2015

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

hooman posted:

Wow, the salvation Title for the Nebulon B gives your long range red dice the same average damage (1 per die) as black dice but far swingier. With a 3 red dice attack from Salvation you have ~40% chance of doing 4+ damage.

EDIT: That front arc averages 3 damage per shot, with a ~61% chance of doing 3 or more. Move at speed one, blow the front off a VSD.

The Salvation title does what, exactly? I didn't see it yet.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Cobbsprite posted:

The Salvation title does what, exactly? I didn't see it yet.

Every crit you roll counts for 2 damage. Also it's not a crit effect (thus it activates on every crit) it just makes crits do 2 damage.

EDIT: vvvvvv :woop:

hooman fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 12, 2015

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

My Wave 1 of Armada has shipped from Miniatures Market!

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Cobbsprite posted:

Wave 1 is "IN STOCK" on their homepage! :zerg:

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Cobbsprite posted:

:nsamad:

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Have all the cards been spoiled already, or are there still a few unknowns?

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
If spoiled, where can we see the spoiled cards?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Bad Decision Dino posted:

Finish it up with a X-wing game that is just a really long corridor with a few loops and turns. Rebels want to make it to the end and destroy the generator and the inhibitor tower.

There's a scenario for exactly that (and tons of others) on the X-Wing Mission Control page here: http://tools.fantasyflightgames.com/xwing/search/. The Death Star II mission in particular is here:
http://tools.fantasyflightgames.com/xwing/htmlpreview/603/, though you may not be able to see it without an FFG forums account.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

alchahest posted:

If spoiled, where can we see the spoiled cards?
There's a guy on BGG who has been putting them up, but I don't know how BGG "blogs" work, and if he updates this post or does new ones or what: https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/40283/armada-spoilers

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

There is an armada wiki that appears to be kept pretty up to date. It has some of the cards from wave 1 listed, but not everything yet. It is organized well, and a great reference for cards.

http://starwars-armada.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Armada_Wiki

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Assault Frigate MK2:
Officer: Veteran Captain - Discard to get a command token of your choice. 3 pts
Defensive Retrofit: Advanced Projectors - lets you redirect damage to multiple hull zones. 6 pts
Offensive Retrofit: Point Defense Reroute - lets you reroll crits when attacking squadrons. 5 pts
Victory:
Officer: Director Isard - you can look at one ship's command dials each turn. 3 pts
Weapon Team: Flight Controllers - [with squadron command] Add one blue die to an activated squadron's anti-squadron dice. 6 pts

I think the only other thing we're missing is the full info on Tycho, but we do know he's 16 points and his ability allows him to ignore engagement when moving/shooting.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Some spoiler pictures up in the horrible forums: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/176126-who-wants-spoilers/

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I'm a little sad that there are exclusive cards with the core set ships. I suppose I can just use printouts or something for casual play, or try to find someone who's buying multiple sets of the wave 1 ships who'd be willing to sell some cards.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Big McHuge posted:

I'm a little sad that there are exclusive cards with the core set ships. I suppose I can just use printouts or something for casual play, or try to find someone who's buying multiple sets of the wave 1 ships who'd be willing to sell some cards.

Wait, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Big McHuge posted:

What honestly made you think that it was going to be any different from x-wing?