Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

AsInHowe posted:

The numbers don't add up here.

For those that aren't football fans, there are only ten home games per team per season, not including playoffs. Two of those are preseason (and I doubt Christie would go, no one goes), and there's one playoff game at MetLife over those two years (a Giants game in 2011).

He spent way more than $1,500 per game. He spent $82,594 over, at max, 17 games. If Christie really did go to every Giants and Jets regular season and playoff home game, he really averaged $4,858.47 in food per game, and averaged 3.4 food purchases per game.
This is way less absurd if he had like twenty dudes in the box with him. Like that's still a really luxurious spread but at least it's a banquet situation then, not a "Chris Christie eats two hundred hot dogs by himself" situation.

What would be really funny is if due to some legal horseshit, Christie doesn't have to tell us who he met with at any point, in which case we can only assume he did in fact eat all the hot dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Obligatory I had anal sex with Ann Coulter

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Also stop crying sexism every time somebody comments on what a vile poo poo Coulter is. She deserves it all. loving All Of It.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Coulter is a witch, Christie is a big fat loser who spent 300,000 dollars on groceries.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

zeroprime posted:

The primary moderator is Morbo (Hannity or O'Reilly).
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: Ron Paul 2008 2012 2015 (Good news everyone. End the Fed!)
Calculon: Mike Huckabee (Ham it up, you hack)
Dr Zoidberg: Dr. Ben Carson (they're doctors and I'm lazy)
Zapp Brannigan: Ted Cruz ("If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.") Perry is a better fit.
Roberto: Ted Cruz
Judge Ron Whitey: ???

If we're not restricted to the current field, Mitt Romney is definitely Judge Whitey.

"I have a ham dinner with mayonnaise waiting for me at my mansion."

Ted Cruz as Roberto is making me giggle. I can just imagine him whispering to Jeb Bush or Scott Walker during a debate "And the other hamburger will ALSO be made of your lungs!"

If Perry is Zapp Brannigan, who is Kif?

Fritz Coldcockin fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 12, 2015

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Also re: Dana Loesch cover

The gun she is holding is the same model weapon used in Sandy Hook

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Venom Snake posted:

Coulter is a witch, Christie is a big fat loser who spent 300,000 dollars on groceries.

Also she regularly mocks the appearance of women herself, so yeah she's pretty much a vapid witch, along with the vapid Queen Dana Loesch.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

James Carville might be a goblin.

You can't really be in politics and not have someone make fun of your appearance at some point. And I'd say that this forum has been equal opportunity (in regards to gender) in making fun of candidates appearance, because seriously gently caress Scott Walker and his droopy droopy face.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Part of me feels like a conspiracy theorist for thinking those two things are related since that would make her a monster if true. But then I think that the book came out less than a year after Sandy Hook and also guns right people tried to celebrate "guns save lives day" on the anniversary of the tragedy...

Also in regards to Coulter calling her Skeletor, inferring that she is an incompetent, cartoonish villain (which she is) is much better than when people used to infer she had man-hands which I think was much more mean and actually really lovely.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think Ann Coulter's ghastly lich-like visage is wholly unrelated to her gender, and is merely an appropriate counterpoint to her ghastly lich-like rhetoric.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

TheDisreputableDog posted:

Hillary hasn't driven a car in nineteen years

A quick heli lift here and there is literally little league in comparison

Heh, yeah, the secret service driving for you as a security precaution sure is the same as using a helicopter because you don't want to wait in traffic

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
John Kerry is kind of weird looking too.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Kobayashi posted:

John Kerry is kind of weird looking too.

Jon Stewart spent like the entire 2004 election comparing him to Emmett Kelly's "Sad Clown".

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Nessus posted:

This is way less absurd if he had like twenty dudes in the box with him. Like that's still a really luxurious spread but at least it's a banquet situation then, not a "Chris Christie eats two hundred hot dogs by himself" situation.

What would be really funny is if due to some legal horseshit, Christie doesn't have to tell us who he met with at any point, in which case we can only assume he did in fact eat all the hot dogs.

Okay, let's say Christie has 20 guests. That's still $200+ each in food per person, and most people aren't eating that much.

Chris Christie is still eating way more food than what people are assuming, is what I'm trying to say, amazingly enough.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Radish posted:

Part of me feels like a conspiracy theorist for thinking those two things are related since that would make her a monster if true. But then I think that the book came out less than a year after Sandy Hook and also guns right people tried to celebrate "guns save lives day" on the anniversary of the tragedy...

Also in regards to Coulter calling her Skeletor, inferring that she is an incompetent, cartoonish villain (which she is) is much better than when people used to infer she had man-hands which I think was much more mean and actually really lovely.

Oh what I meant was she chose to use that gun on the cover even though it was same kind used in the horrific sandy hook massacre

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

In a suite you don't order food ala carte you set it up beforehand so I can definitely see Christie ordering the executive deal and just tossing food that people didn't end up eating. Also alcohol can be really expensive if he got nice stuff which I would assume he did.

I do appreciate the idea that he's buying a couple grand worth of stadium nachos and soda then rolling around in it but that bill is totally believable for someone that basically has a blank check and wants to live it up at a Football game.

Oh what I meant was she chose to use that gun on the cover even though it was same kind used in the horrific sandy hook massacre

Oh yeah I know. Part of my brain says it's totally unbelievable that someone is so monstrous they would use the same gun in a book about how terrible gun control is that was used to murder children less than a year before intentionally and it must have just been a coincidence, but the other part says it's really not that far fetched for how scummy the right wing is openly being.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Radish posted:

In a suite you don't order food ala carte you set it up beforehand so I can definitely see Christie ordering the executive deal and just tossing food that people didn't end up eating. Also alcohol can be really expensive if he got nice stuff which I would assume he did.

I do appreciate the idea that he's buying a couple grand worth of stadium nachos and soda then rolling around in it but that bill is totally believable for someone that basically has a blank check and wants to live it up at a Football game.

Oh, come on. He's not tossing any food.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

I guarantee he throws away a shitload of it, his snacks at games, and his groceries.

Chris Christie is essentially Joey's Food Reviews YouTube channel in political form. (It is a horrifying channel)

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

Oh, come on. He's not tossing any food.

Defend Coulter all you like bleeding hearts but people can pry the Cristie is fat jokes from my cold dead hands.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

AsInHowe posted:

Okay, let's say Christie has 20 guests. That's still $200+ each in food per person, and most people aren't eating that much.

Chris Christie is still eating way more food than what people are assuming, is what I'm trying to say, amazingly enough.

Stadium food is vastly overpriced. And did he go to both Giants and Jets games?
Would food/drinks for friends on the state's dime violate ethics laws, especially if those friends were donors or state contractors?

Edit: nvm, calculations were for 17 games a season.

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 12, 2015

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

AsInHowe posted:

I work in the events industry and that type of number seems about right for a stadium/convention center catering racket. If you're pinching pennies and trying to cut down on your expenses (like a lot of my clients do) you'd would still want to budget $50-$60 per person. Minimum. These companies are very good at making a relatively reasonable amount of food cost an exorbitant price so it's not so much the quantity, it's how much they charge. I'm 99% sure Christie is not pinching pennies and trying to save money. He's getting a nice bar, good food, desserts, the whole 9 yards.

Just looking at menus for the catering contractor for MetLife Stadium seems to confirm that. Example: If he had a Premium Open Bar in his suite (and I think it's safe to assume he would) that would be $42.50 for three hours, per person, not including state sales tax or service fees that the caterer will throw on. It's probably closer to $50 per person for booze alone after factoring that in. I'd imagine he'd hire a bartender too, so that's another $150 an hour. So for 20 people there's $1,500 gone just on alcohol.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Radish posted:

Oh yeah I know. Part of my brain says it's totally unbelievable that someone is so monstrous they would use the same gun in a book about how terrible gun control is that was used to murder children less than a year before intentionally and it must have just been a coincidence, but the other part says it's really not that far fetched for how scummy the right wing is openly being.

The AR15 is probably the most popular gun in America and is the second most iconic gun after the Kalashnikov. I'm willing to wager a lot of money it wasn't chosen for the photoshoot as a subtle gently caress you to parents of dead children, especially when they're willing to say that openly and to their faces already.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

TheDisreputableDog posted:

No I've already corrected myself:

any republican - cool/funny/deserved
any democrat - misogyny/racist/body shaming

Chris christie is fat and ann coulter looks like a skeleton wearing skin. I'm sorry if this is hard for you to hear

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Wait, she chose a gun that killed people?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I work in the events industry and that type of number seems about right for a stadium/convention center catering racket. If you're pinching pennies and trying to cut down on your expenses (like a lot of my clients do) you'd would still want to budget $50-$60 per person. Minimum. These companies are very good at making a relatively reasonable amount of food cost an exorbitant price so it's not so much the quantity, it's how much they charge. I'm 99% sure Christie is not pinching pennies and trying to save money. He's getting a nice bar, good food, desserts, the whole 9 yards.

Just looking at menus for the catering contractor for MetLife Stadium seems to confirm that. Example: If he had a Premium Open Bar in his suite (and I think it's safe to assume he would) that would be $42.50 for three hours, per person, not including state sales tax or service fees that the caterer will throw on. It's probably closer to $50 per person for booze alone after factoring that in. I'd imagine he'd hire a bartender too, so that's another $150 an hour. So for 20 people there's $1,500 gone just on alcohol.

However, what if Christie only has 15 people instead of 20 in his suite, and grazes like a Shetland pony for six straight hours (the full time gates are open, before, during, and after the game)? What then?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

AsInHowe posted:

However, what if Christie only has 15 people instead of 20 in his suite, and grazes like a Shetland pony for six straight hours (the full time gates are open, before, during, and after the game)? What then?

Actually the funny thing is most states have laws that prevent you from having perishable food out for that long, wouldn't want people to get sick and what not. I believe the limit is generally around 2-2.5 hours.

Basically, if he was there 6 hours he'd probably have to order two separate buffets in order to pick at food the whole time.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Wait wait wait go back to the part where someody is paying a bartender $150 / hr

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

AsInHowe posted:

e: fixed

atelier morgan fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 12, 2015

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Ignite Memories posted:

Wait wait wait go back to the part where someody is paying a bartender $150 / hr

Catering is serious money. Charges like $70 for a dozen bagels at a hotel is not uncommon in tier 1 cities like New York, Chicago, LA, etc.

Convention centers and stadiums usually won't have prices that extreme, but whoever bought the rights to be their catering provider have exclusive rights in those venues. If you don't want to use them, tough poo poo.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Alter Ego posted:

Jon Stewart spent like the entire 2004 election comparing him to Emmett Kelly's "Sad Clown".

I always thought he looked like Mac Tonight.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This could lead to some confusion

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ex-aide-says-jeb-bush-misheard-iraq-question/ar-BBjFW9y

quote:

A former aide to Jeb Bush said Tuesday that the former Florida governor “misheard” a question from Fox News Channel anchor Megyn Kelly about whether he would have ordered the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

Bush said in the interview that aired Monday that knowing what he knows now about the war and the intelligence leading up to it, he still would have authorized the 2003 invasion.

But the former aide, Ana Navarro, said Bush simply misspoke.

“I emailed him this morning and I said to him, ‘Hey, I'm a little confused by this answer so I'm genuinely wondering did you mishear the question?,’” Navarro said on CNN’s New Day. “And he said, ‘Yes, I misheard the question.’”

Bush’s response has provoked criticism from figures on the right, who question why he’s standing by the decision to get involved in the unpopular war when even his brother, former President George W. Bush, who authorized the invasion, has admitted it was based on bad intelligence.

An email to a Bush spokesperson requesting clarification has not been returned.

In the interview that aired Monday, Kelly asked Bush if, “knowing what we know now, would you have authorized the invasion?”

“I would,” Bush responded. “And so would have Hillary Clinton, just to remind everyone. And so would almost everybody that was confronted with the intelligence they got.”

Bush went on to call the intelligence that indicated Iraq had weapons of mass destruction “faulty,” and said it was a mistake not to focus on securing the nation after the fall of Saddam Hussein.

Conservative radio host Laura Ingraham went on Twitter to blast Bush for his answer, saying he showed “no ability to learn from the past.”

Conservative columnist Byron York wrote in the Washington Examiner that Bush’s defense of the war was “disastrous.”

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

I mean yes you can backpedal, but when you answered the question with not just a "yes" or a "no" but with a whole sentence it gets a little bit harder.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

the second to last panel needs "clinton" to replace "wizard" for it to work

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Scott Walker must be holding Jeb's family hostage because he's been making a bunch of very odd moves lately.

Though we're still seventeen years out from the general so he's got time to get this poo poo under control.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Don't forget all the food Christie ate when he was tagging along with Jerry Jones.

Christie is a fat man

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Ignite Memories posted:

Like anything else, if you are really really good at your job you can make a good living at it. Bartenders who can make great drinks quickly, with a lot of flair can get top tier catering jobs and make a solid living.

The other 99.99% of the bartending field have to put up with creeps playing grabass and alcoholics while making poo poo.

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Well he answered the wrong question. He thought he was answering "would you have done the same thing as W with the same info" and not the actual question. His answer even implies he misunderstood it that way with the comment about how Hillary would've done the same with the intelligence at the time.

I'm glad he's getting flak from the right about a bad answer but it's not disastrous and I see it as mostly a non-event in the long run considering it's mostly a mistake.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

a shameful boehner posted:

the second to last panel needs "clinton" to replace "wizard" for it to work

mspaint didn't want to cooperate making small enough text and I don't have anything better available at work :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Zelder posted:

Scott Walker must be holding Jeb's family hostage because he's been making a bunch of very odd moves lately.

Though we're still seventeen years out from the general so he's got time to get this poo poo under control.
Last time he ran for anything it was a statewide office in 2002. Not only is he rusty as hell and playing in a higher league, but the entire game has shifted since then

• Locked thread