Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I haven't played the Galaxy Trucker app but everyone says it's super well done so spend away with confidence :yayclod:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

EvilChameleon posted:

Jaipur is a better game I would say, but I am not a huge fan... but also I don't care for set collection or short-ish games or 2 player games all that much so it has basically everything working against it for me. Have you considered Targi? It is about as difficult as the other two and I liked that a bit more. It takes a bit longer to play, though. You're not really giving any context for what you want, though, other than "something that could be 2p."

edit: How is the Galaxy Trucker app? I haven't played the actual game but I am familiar with its concept and some Vlaada stuff. It's 6bux. Will I like it or will it make me not want to play the physical game? And speaking of apps, does anyone have a preferred Agricola scoring app (Android)?

the galaxy trucker's totally fantastic, they put a ton of work into it and it works great

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Galaxy Trucker is excellent in app form. There is very little that a computer would track in the game that it's more trouble to track in real life (unlike, say, Dominion, with accumulating Buys and Actions and Coins and constant deckfoolery).

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Jedit posted:

What did you like less? CW is shorter, easier to teach, and when you start out one faction doesn't win every game. Those are all plus points in my view.

The swinginess of the resource system was a big one. We had one person who managed to get something like 8 or 10 extra power early in the game and parlayed that into an almost unstoppable advantage that led him to win the game. It was literally 3v1 by turn 4 and he still won handily.

It wasn't terrible or anything, I just prefer Chaos. Maybe because I'm already fairly experienced with it.

Edit: I actually liked it a lot more than I thought I would considering the fancy miniatures and Cthulhu theme.

ThisIsNoZaku fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 12, 2015

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

EvilChameleon posted:

edit: How is the Galaxy Trucker app? I haven't played the actual game but I am familiar with its concept and some Vlaada stuff. It's 6bux. Will I like it or will it make me not want to play the physical game? And speaking of apps, does anyone have a preferred Agricola scoring app (Android)?

It's bloody brilliant. Pass and play leads to fairly solid ships and a fair but slow feeling game, but if you've each got a phone with the app and play simultaneously that's when the fun begins. You'll be shouting and swearing at each other in no time which then devolves into taking screenshots of other people failing miserably that you taunt each other with via facebook at work.

With no setup, it's also amazingly fast: I got a couple of games against my girlfriend yesterday in under ten minutes, and laughed (and got punched) when her whole crew died about 20 seconds in to the second voyage.

Basically, it's the bees knees. Best boardgame app implementation ever: no fuss and teaches the game really quickly, and can be played on one phone, lots of phones/tablets across countries, or solo in a surprisingly good campaign. I suspect it probably leads to buying the game too, as it's all me and my long-distance boardgame mates play.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 12, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

EvilChameleon posted:

Jaipur is a better game I would say, but I am not a huge fan... but also I don't care for set collection or short-ish games or 2 player games all that much so it has basically everything working against it for me. Have you considered Targi? It is about as difficult as the other two and I liked that a bit more. It takes a bit longer to play, though. You're not really giving any context for what you want, though, other than "something that could be 2p."

The Galaxy trucker app is the best $5 I've ever spent on an app. Buy it now. Stop reading this and buy it. Why are you still reading this?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm really excited about the Through the Ages app, if that has good async play .. :neckbeard:

I think they are still on track for Essen?

Man, Through the Ages, Twilight Struggle, Dominion, this would just be so fabulous. I wonder if the Twilight Strug and new Dominant Species apps do good if they'll port more things.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
The crazy, eternally-hyped, dude at RPS dropped a Forbidden Stars preview. The interesting part is that the dice combat appears to be not poo poo, and that the bones are there mainly to shake up the puzzle of cardplay.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Lichtenstein posted:

The crazy, eternally-hyped, dude at RPS dropped a Forbidden Stars preview. The interesting part is that the dice combat appears to be not poo poo, and that the bones are there mainly to shake up the puzzle of cardplay.

I was really pretty down when I heard that it was the starcraft model with dice, but the combat system actually sounds like it mitigates the dice pretty well with smart card play and ebbs and flows, plus decent asynchronicity between the factions. I'm pretty hyped for this now, especially after reading about those defining upgrades.

Hopefully the factions are balanced and have multiple viable strategies, this could turn out to be a really good spiritual sequel to CiTOW.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

The swinginess of the resource system was a big one. We had one person who managed to get something like 8 or 10 extra power in the second turn and parlayed that into an almost unstoppable advantage that led him to win the game. It was literally 3v1 by turn 4 and he still won handily.

I'm no expert on the game or anything, but I feel someone did something wrong here. Capturing cultists or Yellow Sign using Zingaya hurts the hell out of an economy, and if one player gets that much extra power on Turn 2, someone definitely either left themselves open or...???

I mean a discussion on whether or not it's bad design that a game enables someone to essentially feed another player (kingmaking through incompetence?) is one thing, but I don't think it's the fault of CW's design that this happened.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm no expert on the game or anything, but I feel someone did something wrong here. Capturing cultists or Yellow Sign using Zingaya hurts the hell out of an economy, and if one player gets that much extra power on Turn 2, someone definitely either left themselves open or...???

I mean a discussion on whether or not it's bad design that a game enables someone to essentially feed another player (kingmaking through incompetence?) is one thing, but I don't think it's the fault of CW's design that this happened.

Excuse me, I wrote the wrong thing and forgot to edit it. It was actually a lot later than turn 2, it was closer to maybe 4 or 5 after a few turn expanding and establishing some early economy, but yellow summoned the King in Yellow and basically ate all of my red and blues' cultists so he got an enormous boost while we were pretty badly weakened. Even both of us together couldn't hold him back and by the point green, who had been expanding unchallenged, got involved, even Cthulhu chasing the KiY around the board Yakkety Sax style he was still able to hold his own and desecrate enough regions to win.

Cool Ranch
Sep 20, 2001
Nap Ghost
Like some folks here I have been re-boxing games to consolidate, save on space, etc. One game, though, I am hoping will catch the eye on the shelf and make people say "I want to play whatever is in THAT."

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Nothing says serious business like a Pelican case.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bottom Liner posted:

Jaipur or Splendor? Mostly going to be playing 2 player.

As a person who likes both games, I think Jaipur is probably the better choice if it will usually be two player. Two player Jaipur (which is the only option for that game) is better than two person Splendor. You have a bit more control of what will happen, your choices will be less obvious, and you can choose to either take greater risks or opt to mitigate risk much more than you can in Splendor. The only advantage that Splendor has over Jaipur is that brainburner aspect of trying to discern what two or three opponents are going to do at the same time, which will not be present in a 2 person game.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

Excuse me, I wrote the wrong thing and forgot to edit it. It was actually a lot later than turn 2, it was closer to maybe 4 or 5 after a few turn expanding and establishing some early economy, but yellow summoned the King in Yellow and basically ate all of my red and blues' cultists so he got an enormous boost while we were pretty badly weakened. Even both of us together couldn't hold him back and by the point green, who had been expanding unchallenged, got involved, even Cthulhu chasing the KiY around the board Yakkety Sax style he was still able to hold his own and desecrate enough regions to win.

That makes more sense. Yeah, Yellow King has some early game if he gets to Zingaya and whatever it was that lets him move with his undead. The weakness of Yellow King is that he's fragile as gently caress, so I think the play is to fight him off. Nyarlathotep with one of his spellbooks can also separate him from his retinue with a Fear result, maybe even to straight to Cthulhu's beaters. His weakness is that he's pretty spread out due to how nomadic he is, so taking control of his gates should be relatively trivial as long as you run away from the King himself.

Don't forget that if you have all 6 spellbooks, your attack option is "Unlimited," so you can move into a territory and attack on the same turn. This is pretty useful on Cthulhu.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Galaxy Trucker app is like perfect. The single player actually has a funny campaign instead of just playing a normal multiplayer game but with AI.

Only downside is that it actually checks to see if your ship welds are proper or else they won't let you connect it, so it loses the majesty of half of your ship instantly floating away once the game starts if you gently caress up a weld connector type in the board game version.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

GrandpaPants posted:

That makes more sense. Yeah, Yellow King has some early game if he gets to Zingaya and whatever it was that lets him move with his undead. The weakness of Yellow King is that he's fragile as gently caress, so I think the play is to fight him off. Nyarlathotep with one of his spellbooks can also separate him from his retinue with a Fear result, maybe even to straight to Cthulhu's beaters. His weakness is that he's pretty spread out due to how nomadic he is, so taking control of his gates should be relatively trivial as long as you run away from the King himself.

Don't forget that if you have all 6 spellbooks, your attack option is "Unlimited," so you can move into a territory and attack on the same turn. This is pretty useful on Cthulhu.

Actually, I remembered exactly why I thought that was super annoying:

Because power is used for everything, even more so than in CitOW, getting all that power meant he simply got to "play more" than blue and I, which is why his early lead snowballed so hard. We had maybe 3 turns in a row where we would be out of power, and he still had anywhere between 4 and 8 left. We couldn't muster the strength to attack, and doing so would expose us to green simply swooping in and grabbing our cultists and gates anyway, so we basically sat on our hands with nothing to do.

Having played once I don't think it would happen again, but being rendered entirely irrelevant about a third of the way through the game did not leave a good impression.

Also loving dicey combat, screw that poo poo. Least favorite part of CitOW too. And Eclipse.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

How did he manage to eat twelve Cultists with Zingaya in four turns?

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ThisIsNoZaku posted:

That's pretty much endgame anyway, iirc according to the designer in a year and a half of playtesting every single game ran from 4 to 6 rounds, round 4 being basically the earliest time you could realistically get all 6 spellbooks and round 6 the longest it will last before someone becomes unstoppable

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Just scored a sealed copy of Keyflower for $60! How heavy is this learning curve of this game compared to say Agricola? Hopefully get to take it to game night tomorrow.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Jedit posted:

How did he manage to eat twelve Cultists with Zingaya in four turns?

Where was Zingaya mentioned? He used Screaming Dead to have the King in Yellow tear rear end through Asia and capture blue cultists, then when I attacked to try and stop him he pulverized me and ate my guys.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bottom Liner posted:

Just scored a sealed copy of Keyflower for $60! How heavy is this learning curve of this game compared to say Agricola? Hopefully get to take it to game night tomorrow.

Base keyflower is really straightforward to learn. You'll need repeat plays to get familiar with what tiles can come up in each season, what are likely to be viable winter scoring strategies and how to not lay out your home village like a logistical nightmare but since there are no negatives/penalty scoring there's none of the "oh god i am loving awful at this game" you can get with agricola. Your average scores will just creep up over time as you get better

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Bottom Liner posted:

It's easier. The iconography is pretty good for what all the actions are, and you can explain what the summer boats/fall scoring tiles do if they show up. You'll probably want to pass the manual around for the winter scoring tiles though.

A few things I would mention is that the spring and summer tiles are primarily focused on resource generation, whereas the fall and especially winter tiles are for scoring. In particular, there are no resource generating tiles after summer.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The end game scoring can throw people a bit. Make sure to explain that their starting winter tiles will go up for bidding, that resources cannot be used for multiple scoring tiles, and that free movement of resources at the end of the game is only allowed on the winter scoring tiles -- not the fall (the resources have to be on the tile to apply). Gold counting for any resource(or 1VP) is another thing to stress.

gently caress I love that game. I'm bringing it to my game night Thursday too. Kinda tempted to throw in Farmers too but mehhhhh I think I'll be teaching pretty much everyone :)

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I think I'd actually recommend Patchwork over Jaipur for a light 2-player game now. It's just as easy to learn/play/setup if not easier, and doesn't have any top-decking issues or hidden trackable information. Really nice game.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bubble-T posted:

I think I'd actually recommend Patchwork over Jaipur for a light 2-player game now. It's just as easy to learn/play/setup if not easier, and doesn't have any top-decking issues or hidden trackable information. Really nice game.

I was looking at that but can't find it in stock anywhere.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I printed out the last few pages of the Keyflower book with the tile explanations for everyone.

edit: i'd also open it up and do a dry run before taking it to game night

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Keyflower is a great game that demands multiple plays because there's so much going on. It's easy to get caught up in bidding while your opponents are abusing your tiles. In one game I had a nice little engine going that I didn't get to use and one guy scored like 80 points off my own poo poo.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Thanks for the recommendations for the Galaxy Trucker app. I'll probably give it a go since these Google credits aren't doing me any good just sitting there.

I got to play Evolution tonight twice, and it is fantastic and every bit as good as I'd like. I feel like it might get a bit stale with the current selection of cards but the flight expac should probably aid with that a bit. Definitely a solid, short-ish game that can be easily taught yet still retain a good amount of depth.

Bottom Liner posted:

Just scored a sealed copy of Keyflower for $60!

It's 62.50 on Amazon. Congrats?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, but it hasn't been in stock lately and all the second hand prices have been ridiculous. My deal was with free shipping too :colbert:

EvilChameleon posted:

I got to play Evolution tonight twice, and it is fantastic and every bit as good as I'd like. I feel like it might get a bit stale with the current selection of cards but the flight expac should probably aid with that a bit. Definitely a solid, short-ish game that can be easily taught yet still retain a good amount of depth.

I was just looking at the Kickstarter for Flight/2nd Edition but $75 seems pretty expensive for what you get. What did you think about the balance? I've heard the hunter side is underpowered and kinda throws off the balance (maybe 2nd edition addresses that).

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 13, 2015

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Bubble-T posted:

Now just find it for an acceptable price and you're golden...
I'm actually looking for it, too.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I have a copy of Patchwork stuck in a preorder with catacombs and pictomania :doom:

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
How is Eminent Domain? I remember hearing some chatter about it earlier, specifically about how the expansion(s?) are more or less required.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

It's on my list because I love deckbuilders. It's supposed to be pretty great, but I haven't been able to find a copy of the expansion. A lot of the games I want are out of print and hard to find now, which makes me way too trigger happy when I see something I have even a passing interest in.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 13, 2015

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Dirk the Average posted:

How is Eminent Domain? I remember hearing some chatter about it earlier, specifically about how the expansion(s?) are more or less required.

It's good but gets stale after a while with just the base game. Awesome with the expansion, no reason not to get it.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
The base game is also ~20$ on amazon right now. I just picked it up myself.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

A lot of the games I want are out of print and hard to find now, which makes me way too trigger happy when I see something I have even a passing interest in.

This is how I'm feeling about Space Empires 4X. I've played a solo scenario a few times, hopefully will get to play some multiplayer this week or next, but I'm looking at the existing and next (P500) expansions for fear that when I want them they won't be available.

Incidentally if anybody wants a space 4X-wargame with fog of war, this is a very good game. Very customisable too, which has its ups and downs.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

Very good with expansion. Play the base game once to learn how it works, and if you like the mechanics of the lead/follow etc then definitely pick up the expansion.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
I really really want Forbidden Stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Not regretting pre-ordering Forbidden Stars at all now :allears: