Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

Consider what you'd need in order to build a robot that empties out every little wastebasket next to a desk.

It would be difficult, but you get around the problem if you replace the worker at the desk with an automated process.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ElCondemn posted:

Maybe right now, but automation is gutting menial jobs left and right. When was the last time you had to talk to a teller at the grocery store?

Anytime I need to buy alcohol, or sudafed. Anytime the machine fucks up and needs authorization because it couldn't detect an item in the bagging area.

Anytime a line to a teller is less than twice as long as the self-checkout because holy poo poo are people slow at checking themselves out.

ElCondemn posted:

I think people say that, but when $15/h minimum wage was proposed in Seattle a lot of my friends making close to minimum wage were angry. Not because they weren't already making $15, but because now everyone else is going to be making as much as they are. They feel like they worked harder for their $12/h than people only making $9/h, when the reality is that they both worked probably the same amount, wage is no indicator of effort.

Oh my god. Did you ask them why they care more about keeping other people poor than getting a raise? What did they say?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Is what you are describing a bad thing? It sounds like you are describing economic growth.

According to many of the opponents of a minimum wage increase in this thread, it is a bad thing. "A minimum wage increase will bring on automation sooner" is a true statement that people have been flinging around in this thread as though it's not something that's inevitable anyway

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

ElCondemn posted:

I think people say that, but when $15/h minimum wage was proposed in Seattle a lot of my friends making close to minimum wage were angry. Not because they weren't already making $15, but because now everyone else is going to be making as much as they are. They feel like they worked harder for their $12/h than people only making $9/h, when the reality is that they both worked probably the same amount, wage is no indicator of effort.

When the Seattle minimum wage was proposed a friend of mine who makes ~$60k posted on facebook that it would be unfair to pay these people $15/hr because he deserves to be paid more than 3x the minimum wage.

For some people it's more about having more than the other guy and nothing else.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

computer parts posted:

Do you mean "had to" as in "there's no other option" or "what I usually do"? Because I usually do talk to a teller at the grocery store, even though there is an automated option.

Yes I mean "had to", but this is still the early stages. In the future you won't have a choice since all aspects will be automated and there may not even be a non-automated checkout line.

computer parts posted:

Again, when I do have trouble I do end up talking to a real life person here. Usually it's not preference either.

The cable company didn't create their automated system because it's cool, they did it because the automated system works. They can eliminate X amount of calls with their automated systems, meaning they need Y less employees at their call center since many users never end up talking to a real person.

I know comcast has an automated troubleshooting and provisioning system, but that's not even where the majority of the automation is happening. There are also plenty of cell phone companies and banks that have eliminated many call center jobs in favor of automated systems (including apps and web sites). It's happening and it's already saving companies money that would've otherwise gone to low-skilled workers.

computer parts posted:

This I haven't known but that's more because I'm not living in a (formerly or currently) highly industrial area. I'm sure my extended family (especially the ones in Michigan) know plenty though.

For sure there are areas that will have more factory workers than others, but automation is king with manufacturing. It's especially pronounced in the automotive market since efficiency is at an all time high right now meanwhile their factory worker count has dwindled.

GuyDudeBroMan posted:

Is what you are describing a bad thing? It sounds like you are describing economic growth.

I think it's great, I think people shouldn't have to work if it's just busy work. How many non-jobs are being created right now that could just go away? probably quite a few... I don't care if other people get free food and housing while I work, my value is not predicated on what other people are doing (at least that's what I tell myself right now).

VitalSigns posted:

Anytime I need to buy alcohol, or sudafed. Anytime the machine fucks up and needs authorization because it couldn't detect an item in the bagging area.

They have one person to deal with all those outlier cases when previously they needed one person per checkout line, now it's one person for 8 lines. In the future when we have identity chips embedded in our eyes they'll just jam an age sensor in there and we'll get booze dispensed into our mouths directly.

VitalSigns posted:

Oh my god. Did you ask them why they care more about keeping other people poor than getting a raise? What did they say?

I think it's just a normal response, I didn't chastise them for feeling that way. I haven't really followed up but none of them are posting on facebook about how increasing minimum wage is somehow going to make the poor even more poor.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

wilderthanmild posted:

When the Seattle minimum wage was proposed a friend of mine who makes ~$60k posted on facebook that it would be unfair to pay these people $15/hr because he deserves to be paid more than 3x the minimum wage.

He sounds lazy and entitled. If he worked harder he'd make the money he deserves.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

QuarkJets posted:

According to many of the opponents of a minimum wage increase in this thread, it is a bad thing. "A minimum wage increase will bring on automation sooner" is a true statement that people have been flinging around in this thread as though it's not something that's inevitable anyway

Automation isn't bad but unemployment is and we already have high unemployment in low skill demographics partially due to automation and outsourcing. Labor costs including wage are the main factor driving those to begin with.

Also minimum wage could be expected to cause outsourcing or automation in places where it wouldn't happen otherwise. That's not good for anyone.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i would be mad as hell if i made 15 bucks and the minimum wage raised to that, and i wasnt compensated accordingly. thats absolute garbage

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Blue Raider posted:

i would be mad as hell if i made 15 bucks and the minimum wage raised to that, and i wasnt compensated accordingly. thats absolute garbage

Oh no, other people make the same as me!

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
It seems extremely psychotic to say that society is incapable of ensuring everyone is able to thrive without actually saying it plainly.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

wilderthanmild posted:

Oh no, other people make the same as me!

more like some jobs require speciality, or experience, or ability and shouldnt be lumped in regarding compensation with such as fry cooks

minimum wage is by definition the lowest common denominator

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Blue Raider posted:

Yeah, I'd probably take it up with my boss and threaten to leave for another place which will compensate me more unless I got a raise.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Blue Raider posted:

more like some jobs require speciality, or experience, or ability and shouldnt be lumped in regarding compensation with such as fry cooks

lol

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Blue Raider posted:

I would be comforted to know that if I lost my job due to circumstances beyond my control, that if I had to take a job sweeping floors or flipping burgers the wage wouldn't drive me to the edge of homelessness.

But I guess that's just because I care about my own welfare, instead of deriving my self-worth from some irrational concern to make sure others are poorer than I :shrug:

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

asdf32 posted:

Automation isn't bad but unemployment is and we already have high unemployment in low skill demographics partially due to automation and outsourcing. Labor costs including wage are the main factor driving those to begin with.

Also minimum wage could be expected to cause outsourcing or automation in places where it wouldn't happen otherwise. That's not good for anyone.

It's good for the people it's outsourced to, quality of life in places like China and India has been on the rise since this trend started. Of course everyone in the US is pissed about that, but it's no different than the feeling my friends had when they found out everyone making less than them was now going to be on the same level as them. It's part of human nature to be jealous or to think you're better than others, that's pretty basic.

I personally can't wait until everyone on earth has the same earning potential, only highly skilled workers would be required to work. Maybe we'd reduce working hours to a fraction of they are now or we'd have some kind of basic income to provide for the majority who have no skills that a robot doesn't. I suppose the less optimistic outcome would be a feudal system with evil space lords who pit us against each other in a mad max style free for all.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

table wipers making the same money as elementary school teachers itt

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
It's simple eugenics, guys. If we keep wages so low people struggle to survive, eventually we'll eliminate the poverty gene.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Blue Raider posted:

Spoken like someone who thinks they have job security in the face of automation.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Blue Raider posted:

table wipers making the same money as elementary school teachers itt
Maybe you should blame the people who are choosing to not give the people who deserve a raise, a raise, ie- the employer.

My boss stole the shirt on my back when the minimum wage laws passed! Thanks Obama!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

asdf32 posted:

Hey, you like absurd boundary condition arguments. How about this one: "It's pointless to worry about unemployment due to automation because we're just going to wind up with robots replacing all of the jobs anyway"

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Blue Raider posted:

aren't you a trucking company middle-manager? you know, someone who speaks into a headset to answer drivers and get them on their way as fast as possible for 8 hours a day for a living much as a drive thru fry-cook does?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Rodatose posted:

aren't you a trucking company middle-manager? you know, someone who speaks into a headset to answer drivers and get them on their way as fast as possible for 8 hours a day for a living much as a drive thru fry-cook does?

lol no im over the guy thats over those cats

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Job Creators can take all the credit for the labors of their employers, yet they don't have to take responsibility for their own actions. This is the opinion of Very Serious people.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Blue Raider posted:

lol no im over the guy thats over those cats

so you're a manager, and you don't like minimum wage increases

thanks for your contribution

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Rodatose posted:

I actually work for a company that does "telematics", specifically for trucking. Our technology allows us to send, receive and track commercial trucks. It's been in use since about 2013 in Europe and there are plenty of other companies doing the same in the US for entire fleets. His job is already on the chopping block, a lot sooner than he thinks.

Everyone thinks they're too smart or valuable to be replaced, when a computer can do your job as efficiently and/or cheaper than you you will be replaced. It will happen.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

this thread should get together and write a strongly worded email to the president

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

ElCondemn posted:

I actually work for a company that does "telematics", specifically for trucking. Our technology allows us to send, receive and track commercial trucks. It's been in use since about 2013 in Europe and there are plenty of other companies doing the same in the US for entire fleets. His job is already on the chopping block, a lot sooner than he thinks.

Everyone thinks they're too smart or valuable to be replaced, when a computer can do your job as efficiently and/or cheaper than you you will be replaced. It will happen.

yeah you see a lot of that with elogs. its been around forever. it was roughly as disruptive as velcro on sneakers

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

quote:

After God had finished the rattlesnake, the toad and the vampire, he had some awful
substance left with which he made a Strikebreaker. A Strikebreaker is a two-legged animal
with a cork-screwed soul, a water-logged brain, and a combination backbone made of jelly
and glue. Where others have hearts, he carries a tumor of rotten principles.
When a Strikebreaker comes down the street men turn their backs and angels weep in
Heaven, and the devil shuts the gates of Hell to keep him out. No man has the right to be
a Strikebreaker, so long as there is a pool of water deep enough to drown his body in, or a
rope long enough to hang his carcass with. Judas Iscariot was a gentleman compared with
a Strikebreaker. For betraying his master, he had the character to hang himself –a
Strikebreaker hasn’t.
Esau sold his birthright for a mess of pottage. Judas Iscariot sold his Savior for thirty
pieces of silver. Benedict Arnold sold his country for a promise of a commission in the
British Army. The modern Strikebreaker sells his birthright, his country, his wife, his
children, and his fellow men for an unfilled promise from his employer, trust or
corporation.
Esau was a traitor to himself. Judas Iscariot was a traitor to God. Benedict Arnold was a
traitor to his country. A Strikebreaker is a traitor to himself, a traitor to his God, a traitor
to his country, a traitor to his family and a traitor to his class.
There is nothing lower than a Strikebreaker.

replace "strikebreaker" with "manager"

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 13, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Middle managers treating people with bald contempt and comical arrogance?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Blue Raider posted:

yeah you see a lot of that with elogs. its been around forever. it was roughly as disruptive as velcro on sneakers

The trucking/freight industry is only growing due to automation, I wouldn't expect your job to go away until the growth evens out. Eventually profit seeking and automation will increase the efficiency of your industry and only a select few jobs will remain. It's almost entirely automated right now, they just need to automate packing, loading/unloading, and driving and poof no more need for human interaction. How far away do you think those things are from being automated? Are there tools/robots already being developed to automate those actions? definitely.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

ElCondemn posted:

The trucking/freight industry is only growing due to automation

also free trade agreements.

once TPP goes through expect a lot more cheap goods from pacfic islands to end up in containers and then shipped from ports via cheap truckfreight

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 13, 2015

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

ElCondemn posted:

The trucking/freight industry is only growing due to automation, I wouldn't expect your job to go away until the growth evens out. Eventually profit seeking and automation will increase the efficiency of your industry and only a select few jobs will remain. It's almost entirely automated right now, they just need to automate packing, loading/unloading, and driving and poof no more need for human interaction. How far away do you think those things are from being automated? Are there tools/robots already being developed to automate those actions? definitely.

you know nothing about the logistics of transportation. like astoundingly nothing. we will see no development on the labor side of the equation within our lifetimes. the only thing i see happening possibly is a new fuel type

how often do you think everything goes 100% according to plan in the real world? i mean you clearly have no experience in it

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
oh wow senate democrats fillibustered the TPP a few hours ago

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Blue Raider posted:

you know nothing about the logistics of transportation. like astoundingly nothing. we will see no development on the labor side of the equation within our lifetimes. the only thing i see happening possibly is a new fuel type

how often do you think everything goes 100% according to plan in the real world? i mean you clearly have no experience in it

Yeah dude, automation only does anything useful if conditions are 100% right. Why do service "industry" lardbuckets think they know anything about real industry?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Effectronica posted:

Yeah dude, automation only does anything useful if conditions are 100% right. Why do service "industry" lardbuckets think they know anything about real industry?

let me know when they automate stewardesses

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Blue Raider posted:

"you're in a johnny cab" - johnny cab

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Rodatose posted:

"you're in a johnny cab" - johnny cab

this thread owns

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Blue Raider posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-cost_carrier

of all the jobs to parade around as impervious to capitalism 1960s era Pan Am stewardess is a really really dumb choice

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Blue Raider posted:

this thread owns

Yeah i never thought we could go pages arguing against a living wage but yet here we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

QuarkJets posted:

Hey, you like absurd boundary condition arguments. How about this one: "It's pointless to worry about unemployment due to automation because we're just going to wind up with robots replacing all of the jobs anyway"

No I dont.

But there is no benefit to speeding it up. And I mean that. Too much automation is inefficient and particularly stupid when workers want the job and would benefit from it. Other welfare policy doesn't do this.

Also, I consistently argue that we need to divorce basic benefits from employment. That's one step on the path to dealing with the total automation you think is inevitable. That's the thing we need to speed up.

• Locked thread