Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Instead of shooting the gopher thousands of times with tiny bullets, why not just use one big bullet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009
Why go so far when Medicine Hat is just down the trans-can?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Rotten Cookies posted:

Instead of shooting the gopher thousands of times with tiny bullets, why not just use one big bullet?

I love the idea of using mortars for this. Maybe there's a business in varmint removal and explosive earthmoving.

lonelywurm posted:

Why go so far when Medicine Hat is just down the trans-can?

Mail order :v:

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Slung Blade posted:

I love the idea of using mortars for this. Maybe there's a business in varmint removal and explosive earthmoving.

Around here people will pay for beaver trapping and coyote hunting. Some farmers also have "nuisance deer permits" but no time/desire to go shoot deer so they will let you keep the deer if you do it for them (unsure on legality of this)

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.

Slung Blade posted:

This guy is way ahead of you.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Slung Blade posted:

http://www.rodenator.com/ ?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Has any goon ever come to visit?

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

goodness posted:

Not that he knows of. :riker:

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Just wanted to say I've really enjoyed following along this thread.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

goodness posted:

Yeah, I've had seat safety switch over a couple times. Having some of the Alberta ai crew over this weekend, it's supposed to snow so that might be interesting.

Gret: thanks! Not over yet though...

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
How's your car coming along? I don't think I've seen the thread pop up lately in AI. Don't tell me it went to archives :(

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

dreesemonkey posted:

How's your car coming along? I don't think I've seen the thread pop up lately in AI. Don't tell me it went to archives :(

It's still in ai, but I think it auto locked.

I'll make a new one when I have something to show.

Been busy getting this new truck and trailer ready for camping.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

I posted this in the AI alberta thread, but I may as well put it here. Seems to fit with the ludicrous poo poo that I get up to / happens around me.

Back in march:

Slung Blade posted:

I just got elected mayor of my small town.

loving kill me now.

So, update on this bullshit now that it's more or less public knowledge through the RCMP.

My first day on the job as mayor, myself and the former board chair waltz into the bank to get the accounts frozen. Former treasurer left our meeting where we elected roles in a huge huff, none of us could figure out why the gently caress they were acting that way, so we figure, eh, may as well take a few precautions before signing authority gets moved over.

We see the bank account balances while locking the accounts and they do not jibe with what has been presented at the annual general meeting. Like, at all. We thought we had 60ish thousand in our treasury, in reality it was about 2k.

Ex-board member was forging cheques and funneling money out of the town's accounts for six loving years and none of us caught on because "lol, small town folks trust each other".

Long story short, we got the RCMP involved, said board member confessed and gave 40k back and promised to get the rest in the next few years, but it was kinda dicey there for a few weeks, we were worried that the hall might have to close for lack of funds to pay for our operating expenses.

So that's what I've been dealing with for the last few months. :suicide:

Myself and the new board are working to address the issues that allowed this to happen in the first place to prevent a recurrence. Multiple and lengthy consultations with our local RCMP detachment has reaped results (and coming from someone who has a lot of criticism for that institution in general, I don't say that lightly), and the corporal handling our case has done a great job getting us to a beneficial state.

So, poo poo, I dunno [ask] me about being a small town mayor now?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

So... Anything you don't do? Good lord man.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Just how small a town are you if 60k is all you got to work on? My home municipality of 2200 people probably deals with budgets in the millions.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

LingcodKilla posted:

So... Anything you don't do? Good lord man.

I said this out loud as I read his post.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Slung Blade posted:

I posted this in the AI alberta thread, but I may as well put it here. Seems to fit with the ludicrous poo poo that I get up to / happens around me.

Back in march:

So, update on this bullshit now that it's more or less public knowledge through the RCMP.

My first day on the job as mayor, myself and the former board chair waltz into the bank to get the accounts frozen. Former treasurer left our meeting where we elected roles in a huge huff, none of us could figure out why the gently caress they were acting that way, so we figure, eh, may as well take a few precautions before signing authority gets moved over.

We see the bank account balances while locking the accounts and they do not jibe with what has been presented at the annual general meeting. Like, at all. We thought we had 60ish thousand in our treasury, in reality it was about 2k.

Ex-board member was forging cheques and funneling money out of the town's accounts for six loving years and none of us caught on because "lol, small town folks trust each other".

Long story short, we got the RCMP involved, said board member confessed and gave 40k back and promised to get the rest in the next few years, but it was kinda dicey there for a few weeks, we were worried that the hall might have to close for lack of funds to pay for our operating expenses.

So that's what I've been dealing with for the last few months. :suicide:

Myself and the new board are working to address the issues that allowed this to happen in the first place to prevent a recurrence. Multiple and lengthy consultations with our local RCMP detachment has reaped results (and coming from someone who has a lot of criticism for that institution in general, I don't say that lightly), and the corporal handling our case has done a great job getting us to a beneficial state.

So, poo poo, I dunno [ask] me about being a small town mayor now?

Yeah, well, that is hosed up. Will there be a criminal investigation?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

His Divine Shadow posted:

Just how small a town are you if 60k is all you got to work on? My home municipality of 2200 people probably deals with budgets in the millions.

There's fifty some people as of the last census. We're a hamlet, which means the county handles tax collection and essential services. My town council administers the non profit society built around the community hall. Basically we keep the hall running for community clubs and the occasional outside rental.

Keetron posted:

Yeah, well, that is hosed up. Will there be a criminal investigation?

Already has been, that's why I can talk about it now. Since restitution has been made by the confessed perpetrator, with a loose commitment to return the rest upon completion of a forensic audit, there's really no point in taking this to a trial where the harshest punishment would be probation. It's simply not worth it, either in public funds to prosecute, or our time as a council.

If the final repayment is lacking, there's always civil court. Hoping it won't come to that though.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I have come to the conclusion that you are, in fact, a main character from the Harvest Moon video game series.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Can the thread vote on decisions for you to make irl as mayor.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

goodness posted:

I propose a dickbutt statue in the town square.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

That Works posted:

I propose a dickbutt statue in the town square.

All in favor?

Yay

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
There are only 50 people in the hamlet. We can probably form a ruling coalition with very few concessions.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

I'll unironically move there to throw my vote around if we can have an offer is community.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Saint Fu posted:

There are only 50 people in the hamlet. We can probably form a ruling coalition with very few concessions.

Canada is a parliamentary system. If Slung Blade is the executive, he must already have a ruling coalition. (Or more likely an absolute majority, no coalition required.)

In my head it's a coalition, though - the Blacksmithing and Metalworker's party caucases with the Tractor Party, and they have joined forces with the Smoked Meats and Cheesers United party. Slung Blade is the consensus leadership all parties were able to agree on to form their ruling coalition.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:28 on May 12, 2015

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

There are no parties in municipal politics at this scale. At least, not officially. All votes in council are free votes, no party whips. We either agree with a majority of council members or poo poo doesn't pass.

We need to amend some bylaws here in the near future, and I'm going to take that opportunity to make some changes.

Issue one: rename 'town council' into the 'itty bitty city committee'

Given that I am the only dude on council, and the youngest person at 34, I don't always have enough of the 'frivolous jackass' votes I need to pass this kind of thing :v:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Can you at least abuse your title for personal gain? I don't mean embezzlement, I mean poo poo like, get some business cards printed up that say "Mayor Slung Blade" and get into VIP areas, impress women, etc. Or maybe set up a bunch of "sister city" agreements with random tiny towns in other countries and then get them to mail you some local delicacies in exchange for genuine Canadian smoked meats.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Leperflesh posted:

Can you at least abuse your title for personal gain? I don't mean embezzlement, I mean poo poo like, get some business cards printed up that say "Mayor Slung Blade" and get into VIP areas, impress women, etc. Or maybe set up a bunch of "sister city" agreements with random tiny towns in other countries and then get them to mail you some local delicacies in exchange for genuine Canadian smoked meats.

I have a silk "MAYOR" sash and some little flags for the hood of my car on order.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Leperflesh posted:

Can you at least abuse your title for personal gain? I don't mean embezzlement, I mean poo poo like, get some business cards printed up that say "Mayor Slung Blade" and get into VIP areas, impress women

C'mon man, he's Slung Blade! He's the man. Women want him, and men want to be him. He probably already has an entourage of ladies following him around.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 08:26 on May 13, 2015

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

goodness posted:

Decrease funding for roads posthaste! Enact the legalized gambling ordinance and let them build that toxic waste plant in town!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ExplodingSims posted:

Decrease funding for roads posthaste! Enact the legalized gambling ordinance and let them build that toxic waste plant in town!

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!

:golfclap:

You should start an annual tractor parade and homebrew competition / BBQ

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Actual picture of Slung Blade

see cause you have a homestuck avatar

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Leperflesh posted:

Or maybe set up a bunch of "sister city" agreements with random tiny towns in other countries and then get them to mail you some local delicacies in exchange for genuine Canadian smoked meats.

This is actually a pretty rad idea.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

10 Beers posted:

C'mon man, he's Slung Blade! He's the man. Women want him, and men want to be him. He probably already has an entourage of ladies following him around.

Weren't you listening, he's the only man on the council. So he has gathered all the powerful women and he is their master.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Canada: embezzle a bunch of money from the government and avoid criminal charges with "ohh geez you caught me!"

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Feel like I missed a lot, here. Congrats on being elected Mayor!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Weren't you listening, he's the only man on the council. So he has gathered all the powerful women and he is their master.

An amusing assumption, but the reminder of the council is actually split 50/50 livestock/gnomes. :canada:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Living in Canada suddenly sounds much more exciting now that I know there is an actual Mayor Slung Blade somewhere up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Slung Blade is gonna be the next President Madagascar