Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
For the record, I have a tox clause to commit suicide if 5 members of my college quiz bowl team get on Jeopardy before I do. We are now at 4. :siren:

jscolon2.0 fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Trebek talks to Howard Stern with Jimmy Kimmel, and it is a very good listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4RGHMezPVY

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Now I kind of want Vince Neil on Celebrity Jeopardy!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Trebek talks to Howard Stern with Jimmy Kimmel, and it is a very good listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4RGHMezPVY

His rant about the Forrest Bounce at the end was pretty funny.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Riptor posted:

Just got my first callback ever, in 10 years of trying out! Huge thanks to GhostStalker for the contestant coordinator's email, I can't imagine that hurt!

Congrats! Good luck on the audition!

That was a rather quick turnaround for audition invites, since it's only been what, a month, since the online test? I took mine in January 2013 and didn't hear back until mid March for an audition on May 1st. Guess its because they had the test late this year and it's coming up on their season break when they aren't taping episodes, so they need to schedule the auditions around then, to allow the Contestant Coordinators time to go to the audition sites and conduct them during those breaks.

Remember though, it's only the next stage, you still need to do well enough on another test and then look good on camera before you might get a call-up. Still, congrats on making it into the pool! Maybe you'll make it through on your first try, like I did. I know there are people here who have been in the pool before though, some multiple times, so it isn't guaranteed that you'll make it. But I really hope you do!

jscolon2.0 posted:

For the record, I have a tox clause to commit suicide if 5 members of my college quiz bowl team get on Jeopardy before I do. We are now at 4. :siren:

Well, unless you're not talking about Riptor here, I need to remind you that he only got an invitation to an audition, being placed in the pool, not a guaranteed slot for a taping. You'll get there eventually, I hope. How many times have you been in the pool anyway, since it looks like you've been trying for a while... Hope my Contestant Coordinator email helped...

How's Beverly doing after her appearance, anyway?

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 06:32 on May 12, 2015

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

GhostStalker posted:

Congrats! Good luck on the audition!

Remember though, it's only the next stage, you still need to do well enough on another test and then look good on camera before you might get a call-up. Still, congrats on making it into the pool! Maybe you'll make it through on your first try, like I did. I know there are people here who have been in the pool before though, some multiple times, so it isn't guaranteed that you'll make it. But I really hope you do

Oh totally, I'm just thrilled to have finally made it one step further. Way I look at it I'm pumped to go to the audition, and I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of that experience. Making it past that would just be a crazy bonus.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Celebrity Jeopardy is pretty terrible, but I did enjoy seeing "Mr. wonderful" get destroyed, and Aaron Rodgers won so I feel good about it. He was crazy fast on the buzzer, he should be a professional athlete.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

On the other hand, "IBM."

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Final was pretty bad too, Rodgers should've had it since they're in Wisconsin

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

A little peeved that Aaron didn't get the other Cal grads, but you don't have to be the sharpest to win, just better than the other contestants. 50 Gs for kids!

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

They still left an entire category on the board during Jeopardy, they were moving so slowly. Picked it up a bit during Double, but there were still a couple clues left on the board that round as well...

Aaron Rodgers was good on the buzzer, but a couple of really wrong answers by him (and others) had me shaking my head, especially that IBM answer on the first Daily Double of Double Jeopardy. At least they found all the Daily Doubles before both rounds ended, as leaving them on the board would've made me feel even more terrible about the quality of play. Then again, the celebrities playing weren't exactly picked for their smarts.

Surprised Mark Kelly didn't get the Ceres clue, seeing as how he's an astronaut, even remarking that he would've answered Pluto after Kevin O'Leary missed it... But I guess that would be more under Astronomy than the career trajectory that Kelly had.

Kevin O'Leary got destroyed, giving a couple of obviously wrong answers, like the carbon dating one. I thought the Final category would be more his cup of tea, but it wasn't. I didn't get the right answer either, didn't know that Harley and Davidson were two different people from the naming of their company. Should've guessed though. Thought about the Wright brothers as well, thinking about their bicycle shop instead of motorcycles instead, like O'Leary did... All of them squinting to try to see the picture better on the Final Jeopardy monitor was amusing, though.

Still it's all for charity, so I can turn down my competitive viewing side for a week...

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Ishamael posted:

Celebrity Jeopardy is pretty terrible, but I did enjoy seeing "Mr. wonderful" get destroyed, and Aaron Rodgers won so I feel good about it. He was crazy fast on the buzzer, he should be a professional athlete.

Haha, I was talking to my mom about that and I was like "he never did seem that smart on Shark Tank" and she was like "he has to be, he's rich."

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Did O'Leary really misspell "wonderful" in his name, or was the second L just an exclamation point and I need a better TV?

Also my favourite dumb O'Leary answer other than Pluto being in the Asteriod Belt was New Jersey apparently being a city.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

GhostStalker posted:

They still left an entire category on the board during Jeopardy, they were moving so slowly. Picked it up a bit during Double, but there were still a couple clues left on the board that round as well...

Celeb always moves slow because the interviews are like twice as long

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Celeb always moves slow because the interviews are like twice as long

Yeah, that makes sense. Still didn't expect them to leave an entire category on the board during Jeopardy, though. Looked like a business category too, so it might've helped "Mr. Wonderful" out, but by the way he couldn't get to the buzzer in time and the silly answers he gave on some clues, it probably wouldn't have helped all that much...

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
There is something incredibly amusing about a guy whose idol is Ayn Rand being gifted money to use in Final Jeopardy! despite failing to earn it.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Yeah, O'Leary finishing in the negatives, getting money given to him and then losing it all again will be the high point of this week's Celebrity Jeopardy.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Kevin O'Leary posted:

I’m slightly right of Attila the Hun so I appreciate [Ayn Rand's] work.

I don't watch Shark Tank that often. But after reading that interview, Tuesday's Jeopardy got 800000000x better for me.

Also, did anyone else expect Mo Rocca to have a heart attack and/or explode today?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Ugh Mr. Wonderful was so annoying. It was great to see him finish in the red.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

Also, did anyone else expect Mo Rocca to have a heart attack and/or explode today?

That one where he figured out the answer after getting it wrong and trying to ring in again was hilarious, I thought he was going to run off the stage for a minute or something.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Man, I liked Celebrity Jeopardy! back when the celebrities were smart and it was actually a competition. This is just shameless nonsense.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

Man, I liked Celebrity Jeopardy! back when the celebrities were smart and it was actually a competition. This is just shameless nonsense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVC28oemocA

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

They answered four questions in a category about the five senses. Each answer was actually one of the five senses. That last question might as well have been "First person to ring in gets free money."

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

They answered four questions in a category about the five senses. Each answer was actually one of the five senses. That last question might as well have been "First person to ring in gets free money."
And then they actually got some wrong. :cripes:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
At least the only one of them who actually knew anything about anything looked like she wanted to stab herself when she said Vienna was the capital of Switzerland.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Was it just me, or was Trebek's audio off this episode? Sounded like he had a cold or something, but it might just be my old CRT TV converter box acting up or something like that.

I had no idea on Final, but Bellamy cleaned up, so she didn't need it.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
He's sounded pretty rough all week, I think.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Penn got skinny! Also that might be the first bleep I've heard on Jeopardy.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

The Human Cow posted:

He's sounded pretty rough all week, I think.

Didn't sound that way tonight though...

Penn Jillette looked pretty gaunt though. He just go through some major weight loss or something? Him calling the category "Bullshit" was hilarious though, as was his near freakout when he almost missed that Daily Double in Double Jeopardy because he answered Moby Dick first and then corrected to Ahab before Alex could rule him wrong. The whole thing with him answering Stephen Fry after he ran out of time was pretty fun to watch as well.

Again, an untouched category in Jeopardy and they didn't get to the second Daily Double in Double Jeopardy, but good on Penn Jillette for getting the win. Had no idea on Final; been doing pretty poorly on them throughout this week... Zach Quinto bet big, and it burned him.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I'm bigtime cheesed that an insufferable rear end in a top hat like Penn won.

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
"The Pen is Mightier" being a category today gave me life. God bless the writers.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I can't believe they had maybe the easiest category on a Jeopardy board ever with "continents by country" and they actually avoided it

Penn was funny though.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
Was that the first time anyone ever got bleeped on Jeopardy?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oh my god people learn how to bet properly are you serious

edit I probably get the show earlier than y'all, so let's just say there's an audible gasp from the audience during Final Jeopardy.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 18, 2015

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

:lol:

You weren't kidding. And dumb answers to boot!

E: I mean Ariel? Yeah, dude, they modeled Ariel off of an actual descendant of a mermaid.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 19, 2015

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
"This characters look was based on her descendant"

*writes Ariel*

*writes Belle*

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
At least Belle is actually human.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

I guess Alex doesn't know the NATO Phonetic Alphabet, otherwise he probably wouldn't have made that comment about the last category of the Jeopardy round... Since Charlie, Oscar, Whiskey, Sierra = COWS in NATO Phonetic. Guess that's just JROTC training rubbing off on me, to the point where I was yelling at the screen when Uniform and November were triple stumpers.

Also, that Final was cake. Frankfurt am Main and all that.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

I guess Alex doesn't know the NATO Phonetic Alphabet, otherwise he probably wouldn't have made that comment about the last category of the Jeopardy round... Since Charlie, Oscar, Whiskey, Sierra = COWS in NATO Phonetic.

Now I feel like a dumbass for not picking up on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I was about to get really angry at Andrew for not knowing the first amendment when I realized he was Canadian. But then it turns out he knows the 21st :psyduck:

Also gently caress this new champion. Stop applauding yourself!