Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

So, those of you who do play MMPORGs, does this seem like a reasonably effective strategy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So, those of you who do play MMPORGs, does this seem like a reasonably effective strategy?

Not enough 'don't stand in bad things' for it to be effective

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Well, without knowing how the parties are constructed (tomorrow's upd8?), it's hard to say for sure, but it sounds fairly reasonable to me. HIC has the greatest ability to gently caress up their plans, so keep her off-balance. Give everyone assigned roles so that they don't flounder around during the battle. Give their greatest assets mobility. Have backups ready to go (the last kernelsprite).

It seems competent enough that I could easily see a Leeroy Jenkins situation happening where something sets off the whole kerfluffle before everyone has time to set up the portals, stand in their designated spots, etc.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I think this panel http://mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=009427 hints pretty strongly that Karkat isn't going to be whole-hearted when going up against his universe's Jack. Yeah, he stabbed Karkat a lot, but what's a stab or two? The panel Karkat is remembering is when Jack comforted him.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Hope Karkat gets to fly.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Nephthys posted:

Didn't Vriska discuss strategy with Terezi and Rose though?

Also Vriska is frankly the best gamer here by a longshot and is probably the best for knowing how to deal with a boss-rush. But I think Rose is probably gonna weigh in on the next part a lot, the plan isn't over yet.

"Best" is questionable.

Your talent to Buster Duel a boss in Mega Man 2 is admirable, but when REAL lives are on the line, you might wanna start throwing Metal Blades.

I've done it, I am now the biggest nerd in the Homestuck thread it is me

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Blackheart posted:

Hope Karkat gets to fly.

He has certainly fallen with style.

Into lava.

thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH
I hope this follows Problem Sleuth's footsteps, where the final battle lasted for half the comic.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Left side, many Jacks. Handle it. More God-tiers

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I going to guess that this won't end terribly well.

But then again, John can do lots of things.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Classtoise posted:

"Best" is questionable.

Your talent to Buster Duel a boss in Mega Man 2 is admirable, but when REAL lives are on the line, you might wanna start throwing Metal Blades.

I've done it, I am now the biggest nerd in the Homestuck thread it is me

You may be nerdier when it comes to games, but I am nerdier when it comes to Homestuck. You're forgetting that Vriska was a veteran FLARPer and she always played with real lives on the line. She didn't play no pansy vidiya games.

Now Terezi is obviously smarter than Vriska and also Flarped, but she was all about mind-games not strategy. And tbh Roses plans were always of the Leeroy Jenkins variety. Vriska is pathologically competitive and a natural cheater. She's the best at figuring out how to play the system and stack the odds. She's also sociopathic enough to think about this all in game terms in the first place, lol.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 13, 2015

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Color Printer posted:

Left side, many Jacks. Handle it. More God-tiers

That's a minus fifty DKP!

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Well, this is obviously going to go horribly wrong.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Maybe when the bad guys arrive John will just start spontaneous friendly communication attempts while Karkat paps and shooshes like he's never papped and shooshed before and then everyone will become friends and live happily ever after.

Except Vriska because she's awful.

...and Gamzee stays in the fridge forever.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think this panel http://mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=009427 hints pretty strongly that Karkat isn't going to be whole-hearted when going up against his universe's Jack. Yeah, he stabbed Karkat a lot, but what's a stab or two? The panel Karkat is remembering is when Jack comforted him.

Robojack also isn't that much of a threat, if he's even a threat at all. So Karkat getting some greeting stabs and hugging it out with Jack shouldn't change much.

Vriska has skill at making things dead. Her approach is perfectly fine in video game logic, but this isn't purely a video game penultimate encounter. HIC definitely has goals other than killing all the kids & trolls, but who wants to negotiate with empress sexy sea hilter?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

jetz0r posted:

but who wants to negotiate with empress sexy sea hilter?

Well definitely not this poor guy...

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
N/m wrong thread

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Gamzee is gonna get a happy ending.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Calling it: the Scourge Sisters are in full effect. Vriska isn't going to pick the people who will best execute her plan, but the ones who will best rebel and execute the double-secret mind plan.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Glazius posted:

Calling it: the Scourge Sisters are in full effect. Vriska isn't going to pick the people who will best execute her plan, but the ones who will best rebel and execute the double-secret mind plan.

God I hope so.

Seems kind of a waste of time to have a plotline like "JOHN MAKE ME A GOOD SEER OF MIND" and then she loving sucks at her job anyway.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I think you will find that Terezi owns, even in death.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

Blackheart posted:

Normally I'd agree but Vriska has basically infected her with her own terribleness.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Blackheart posted:

Yes but said ownage came at the price of oblivion.

Bananachin
May 1, 2010
Gamzee has been quite literally fridged and I am ok with him staying as such until the heat-death of this comic.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly if anyone Leeroys, it'll be John, who is also the MVP of the entire round.

Vriska only once MAYBE fought Jack to a stand still in an off shoot universe that was hypothetical to begin with. John straight up fought him head to head and was getting the best of him.

It's just that, the moment John learns that HIC is Betty loving Crocker, that's where he's going to be going.

His ultimate arch nemesis, facing Egbertian Justice at last.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Yeah I hope things don't eventually actually end with some kind of team up with the Condesce - she may have fish puns and glitter on her side and may not seem quite as bad in comparison to Lord English, but let's not forget the terrible things she's done. Creating Fruit Gushers is straight up unforgivable.

And also there was some culling and slavery and genocide in there too I think but let's not get distracted by the little things.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Classtoise posted:

Well Vriska steals Light, so it's very possible Rose simply has no loving idea (Because Vriska is the type to keep her allies from finding out she's totally loving wrong because she "knows" she's not), and Terezi might have seen something terrible happens to Vriska and she doesn't want her last memories of her Scourge Sister being "gently caress YOU TH4T PL4N 1S FUCK1NG STUPID 4ND 1T'LL K1LL US 4LL!"

Huh. It just dawned on me that that's what Vriska has been doing all along throughout Homestuck. She steals the spotlight :v:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Glazius posted:

I like this. Is it too late to change my wishful thinking?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
So I guess this means Dirk isn't evil?

quote:

VRISKA: When it comes to killing her, I don't have much to advise.
VRISKA: There's no intel on her weaknesses or anything like that. In fact, I'd 8et she doesnt have any.
VRISKA: Like any powerful endgame 8oss, you just have to keep hammering away at her until she's dead.
VRISKA: Nuff said!

PROTIP: To defeat the Batterdemon, shoot at her until she dies.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Spades Slick, to the extant that we have any idea what he even wants to do, seems the least motivated to fight any of the kids and trolls. We know he wants to kill Lord English, but he doesn't even know who the non-trolls are. Karkat he knows. Maybe Karkat will even get him on their side?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I'm wondering if the mayor will in absolute defiance of vriska's plans, turn out to be the real key to victory.

But in different and ancient news, the whole modifer!name thing doesn't originate from anything to do with fanfiction, it's from the very early internet, back when everyone on it basically knew everyone else because it was just a bunch of computers networked at different universities. They're part of the original emailing system and are basically the predecessor of the @ in emails. They're called "Bang Paths" and they were used to denote the system that the account was on, so you'd send an email over to Phys!steve, which would be steve's account over in physics, ect.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

Spades Slick, to the extant that we have any idea what he even wants to do, seems the least motivated to fight any of the kids and trolls. We know he wants to kill Lord English, but he doesn't even know who the non-trolls are. Karkat he knows. Maybe Karkat will even get him on their side?

On the other hand, dude loves his stabs.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

All I want is for Jade, Dave, Karkat, Kanaya, Terezi, and the Mayor to live. Is that so much to ask?

answer: of course it is.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

SynthOrange posted:

On the other hand, dude loves his stabs.

On the other, other hand, this never stopped him from allying with Karkat before. :v:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

NewMars posted:

But in different and ancient news, the whole modifer!name thing doesn't originate from anything to do with fanfiction, it's from the very early internet, back when everyone on it basically knew everyone else because it was just a bunch of computers networked at different universities. They're part of the original emailing system and are basically the predecessor of the @ in emails. They're called "Bang Paths" and they were used to denote the system that the account was on, so you'd send an email over to Phys!steve, which would be steve's account over in physics, ect.

Not fanfiction, no. But not e-mail either (since when would grimbark!Jade be receiving messages at "grimbark"?) Fanlore includes your bang-path folklore explanation, but also points to the X-Files fandom being the first major attested source, although its particular citation is not dated.

Digging around on what used to be Déjà News seems to support the X-Files fandom theory. The bang syntax is referred to casually in an FAQ on alt.tv.x-files in-jokes in 1998 (under "Other a.t.x-f inside jokes and references", which curiously also refers to a similar use of the bang in the term "Sick!Chicklets", which seems to be otherwise unrelated). Looking deeper into a.t.x-f, with particular focus on the "action!Mulder" keyphrase mentioned both in the Fanlore and the FAQ, we find that references to "Action Mulder(tm)" became "Action!Mulder" sometime between 1996 and early 1997 (earliest reference: April 7, 1997), too late to really be related to bang-paths. The FAQ, in any case, only seems to nod towards bang-paths, rather than actually admitting them as the origin.

A thread in late 1997 seems to be the strongest hint at its origin in X-Files fandom. In the thread, the a.t.x-f poster Autumn Tysko claims to have been an early proponent "who [just] thought it was funny [to use]". One other poster also points to Tysko having come up with the concept and using it in her reviews of episodes. Indeed, most others in the thread seem to think it was more closely related to the concept of branding action figures and dolls like "Prom Night Ken" and "Surfin' Barbie", which definitely seems to jive with the decline of "Action Mulder(tm)" as "Action!Mulder" grew.

If we search just a little bit deeper, based on the reference to "Action!Scully" in the above thread, we find an interesting progression in Autumn Tysko's reviews. In Tysko's 1996 reviews we see a sort of organized reference and sort of hap-hazard evolution from "Action Scully" ("Apocrypha") to "Action-Scully" ("Avatar"). When the phrase pops up again in 1997, however, it's almost fully formed, as "Action! Scully" ("Leonard Betts", "Never Again"). The space here is the key, almost certainly suggesting that the syntax simply came about because someone might have accidentally forgot a space and just left it that way.

EDIT: Indeed, the earliest attested use without the space comes a few months later, when Alanna Baker not only uses "Action!Scully" in its final form, but even uses it more generally and explicitly thanks Autumn for having given her the inspiration to do that. Within a few weeks, the "Action!" prefix is added to everything in this thread ("Action!Mulder", "Action!Scully", "Action!SWAT Scully").

TL;DR: It was probably X-Files and had nothing to do with e-mail.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 06:38 on May 13, 2015

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

All I want is for Jade, Dave, Karkat, Kanaya, Terezi, and the Mayor to live. Is that so much to ask?

answer: of course it is.

mayor will die, it will motivate the team.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I hope everyone but John, Dave, Karkat, Roxy, and the mayor die permanently.

Terezi is fine too, but no more.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

I will be genuinely surprised if Vriska survives this comic.

I'd put money on it if I wasn't so poor.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

WAR FOOT posted:

I'm putting my money on only Roxy and John surviving. I'd put money on that if I wasn't such a sore loser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

WAR FOOT posted:

Hussie loves vriska too much to kill her