Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I would hope that Meryl Streep didn't have a child solely for a cool bit of stunt-casting in 20 years time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mamie, Grace, and Louisa are not just her daughters. They are her clones, to prevent the world from ever lacking a Meryl Streep.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Well, you weren't wrong that she was indeed born to play her daughter.

:xd:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

She got the worst of the genes it looks like. :/

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

JoeRules posted:

it's a lovely joke being confused for an offensive joke

Oh, don't worry, they aren't mutually exclusive.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Did you ever want a sequel to Minority Report? No? Well too bad here's the TV show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fLl-DMzxrk

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Why would you ever go into acting if your mother was Meryl Streep? " Yea, she's alright, not as good as her mom" , " Her mom would have killed that role" , are they just horrible masochists?

Meryl Streep is such a good actress when that film comes out it'll turn out those her daughters don't even exist that's how good she is.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

gently caress FOX.

Xenix
Feb 21, 2003

PaganGoatPants posted:

Did you ever want a sequel to Minority Report? No? Well too bad here's the TV show.

That's unfortunate. I really liked that guy in Generation Kill, too.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Hahaha, that looks so poo poo, and also pointless.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Xenix posted:

That's unfortunate. I really liked that guy in Generation Kill, too.

I liked him as well. I don't understand why they would greenlight this after killing Almost Human, which could have been in the same universe. What about this makes them think it will do better?

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Isn't part of the takeaway of the movie that we shouldn't be trying to prevent horrible things before they happen?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Isn't part of the takeaway of the movie that we shouldn't be trying to prevent horrible things before they happen?

Ah, so that's why Fox is letting it go to series instead of cancelling it based on the pilot.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

I thought the original ending to that movie had the murder rate in D.C. going from zero to the hundreds after the Pre-Cogs were set free?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I always thought the idea was cool (prevent crime! Good!) but the execution (let's just arrest and lock away in a box people for what they were thinking of doing) to be super hosed up. Why not get some few years of therapy and rehabilitation to address why he/she tried to murder someone and let them go. I mean, if he tries again it'd be premeditated and the precogs would have even more time to pick up on it.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Armyman25 posted:

I thought the original ending to that movie had the murder rate in D.C. going from zero to the hundreds after the Pre-Cogs were set free?

Well, that's just the old Grand Inquisitor debate, isn't it? What's the point of a utopia if we don't have free will?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

PaganGoatPants posted:

It's weird that this just reminds me of a lovely looking Person of Interest but with psychics instead of a godlike AI, and a vision of the future as seen through Apple marketing instead of a weirdly prescient vision of modern times.

While we're on the topic of terrible looking Fox adaptations, here's a trailer for Lucifer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4bF_quwNtw

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

GrandpaPants posted:

It's weird that this just reminds me of a lovely looking Person of Interest but with psychics instead of a godlike AI, and a vision of the future as seen through Apple marketing instead of a weirdly prescient vision of modern times.

While we're on the topic of terrible looking Fox adaptations, here's a trailer for Lucifer:

At the risk of repeating myself, why would Fox greenlight this after Constantine just failed on NBC?

What's going on at Fox?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

There was a Constantine show?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Exactly

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

What's the point of a utopia if we don't have free will?

If only we had more cameras watching all the mans...we might be able to stop them before they shoot other mans.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm gonna watch the gently caress outta the one season of this show

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
David Oyelowo in Nightingale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8hire8Ooe8

Have no idea what it's about but I'm very down.

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
So, the Jem trailer was released.

It's... not good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaPg94ABUak

What even is the point of making a movie out of a goofy 80s cartoon if you're not going to include the goofy 80s cartoon aspects of it?

At least Juliette Lewis is sinking her teeth into the scenery.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I don't know, I'd watch that movie. I have no Jem nostalgia to speak of.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Weird. It looks like material ripe for the "Josie and the Pussycats" treatment but that trailer cuts a full-on unironic wish-fulfillment fantasy story. I suppose with the material being so earnest in its 80s incarnation and the "superstar" landscape looking so different in the 2010s than it did in the 1980s it's hard to do a period throwback without alienating the demo of 6-14 year-old girls they're clearly shooting for. I mean it could have worked, but it also likely wouldn't have satisfied kids looking for a pop star fantasy nor Gen X/Milennial douchebags eager for glorious dumb 80s-style cheese.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

David Oyelowo in Nightingale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8hire8Ooe8

Have no idea what it's about but I'm very down.

Is this like a Wesley Willis thing?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Is this like a Wesley Willis thing?

I don't think so--well, other than the mental issues--but I thought it was something like that too. Especially with some of the outfits in the trailer.

Apparently Oyelowo is playing a war vet.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gumby posted:

It's... not good.

What even is the point of making a movie out of a goofy 80s cartoon if you're not going to include the goofy 80s cartoon aspects of it?

I had so little knowledge of Jem that when I watched this and went "wait aren't they supposed to get superpowers at some point?"

The answer is: No, they are not supposed to get superpowers at some point, which means I'm not watching this movie. I was hoping that out of nowhere they would get "Kickin' Rad 80's Neon" Super Powers and it would be like Hannah Montana + Spring Breakers + Superheroes.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
For some reason I was under the impression that the band in Jem fought crime and this seems not the be the case? If Jem was really Buckaroo Banzai Against The World Crime League I would probably see it.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I also thought that they fought crime and based on the wiki page I guess they do sometimes? Or people are trying to steal the holograms technology and they have to thwart those efforts.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Why even make that a JEM movie? It could be called anything. If you're going to make a JEM movie go completely nuts with cartoony hot pink everything and endless high energy insanity.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Wendell posted:

Why even make that a JEM movie? It could be called anything. If you're going to make a JEM movie go completely nuts with cartoony hot pink everything and endless high energy insanity.

Cause if they named and fashioned it after something more generic we wouldn't be talking about it at all right now, nor would it get the same kind-of play it's going to get on the internet circlejerk circuits as people write clickbait railing against JEM not looking like the cartoon while others write counter-bait articles about how it's ok to be a dumb power fantasy movie for young girls and so on generating essentially free press for the movie with demos that are starting to have daughters just young enough for this movie to seem like a solid matinee on a rainy day.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I'm not opposed to the concept but that Jem trailer looked so cheap I assume the producer embezzled the money to buy a yacht or something

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I always thought the idea was cool (prevent crime! Good!) but the execution (let's just arrest and lock away in a box people for what they were thinking of doing) to be super hosed up. Why not get some few years of therapy and rehabilitation to address why he/she tried to murder someone and let them go. I mean, if he tries again it'd be premeditated and the precogs would have even more time to pick up on it.
I liked the original film once I realized it was basically just Sci-Fi L.A. Confidential (p.s. hey if someone asks you if you've told anyone else about the dark secret you've just discovered and exclusively divulged to them alone, maybe just vaguely say "Yeah...just a few close friends of mine"). Too bad about the Fox series though.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

morestuff posted:

I'm not opposed to the concept but that Jem trailer looked so cheap I assume the producer embezzled the money to buy a yacht or something

It's from Blumhouse (the "microbudget" producers of Paranormal Activity, Insidious, and The Purge, among others), so it was probably only seven figures total.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I liked the original film once I realized it was basically just Sci-Fi L.A. Confidential (p.s. hey if someone asks you if you've told anyone else about the dark secret you've just discovered and exclusively divulged to them alone, maybe just vaguely say "Yeah...just a few close friends of mine"). Too bad about the Fox series though.

Minority Report is amazing, and even though it has a generally great reputation I still think it's underrated. It stealthily inspired a shitload of modern sci-fi.

Also, yeah, Colin Farrell is basically Future Jack Vincennes in that movie.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Gumby posted:

It's... not good.

Where are the Misfits?

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
Smarter than the average bear.

Into the Grizzly Maze

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ESoFn5NNu4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

FoneBone posted:

It's from Blumhouse (the "microbudget" producers of Paranormal Activity, Insidious, and The Purge, among others), so it was probably only seven figures total.

Haha it's Blumhouse? That's funny

• Locked thread