Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Bedlamdan posted:

It helps that the Devs have apparently okayed leak discussion on that one Exalted IRC they're on.

Have they answered any rules questions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

Have they answered any rules questions?

I remember they did before, but only in a few cases, and they haven't been active online for a while either. Mostly they just okayed other people with the leak to talk about the leak with each other.

EDIT: Oh, I just remembered they said they didn't want to do too much tech support stuff until they actually have the game done. They still answered a couple of questions but I don't remember what.

Bedlamdan fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 12, 2015

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
What is the "Beast leak"? That is a phrase I am afraid to google.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

What is the "Beast leak"? That is a phrase I am afraid to google.

The playtest for Beast the Primordial was leaked online.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
To get back to Barthes for a second -- the reason The Death of the Author was so important both at the time and in the history of literary criticism wasn't because it posited that the author's interpretation of his work is no more valid than any other (which is not always true, but is never true simply because of the fact that he's the author), but because it posited that meaning is born between the interaction of the reader and the text, not between the author and the text. At best the author is a facilitator of meaning. At worst, he is irrelevant to it. But the point of Barthes' work is to establish where meaning comes from, not to merely assert that every interpretation of a given text is equally valid. Barthes puts MORE of an onus on readers to read properly, not less.

Crion fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 13, 2015

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Crion posted:

To get back to Barthes for a second -- the reason The Death of the Author was so important both at the time and in the history of literary criticism wasn't because it posited that the author's interpretation of his work is no more valid than any other (which is not always true, but is never true simply because of the fact that he's the author), but because it posited that meaning is born between the interaction of the reader and the text, not between the author and the text. At best the author is a facilitator of meaning. At worst, he is irrelevant to it. But the point of Barthes' work is to establish where meaning comes from, not to merely assert that every interpretation of a given text is equally valid. Barthes puts MORE of an onus on readers to read properly, not less.

Yeah, but Barthes is dead. Isn't it equally valid for me to believe that a text can mean anything I want it to?

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Crion posted:

Yeah, this makes a bunch of sense. I'm of the school that believes that the text is merely a vehicle of communication between the author and the reader, but that's a very new line of thinking and I can totally understand where Barthes came from. Thinking that the reader matters was a huge change from 'text is purely the writer's self-expression'.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I'm really happy with the withering-decisive split, I wanna say. I think crash especially gives a natural place for NPCs or PCs to start negotiating surrender terms in a way that makes the fallout of a battle a lot more interesting.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

One thing that's missing from the rules is a way to inflict that "my sword is at your throat, listen to me or get Decided" effect mid-combat that you can already inflict on a successful ambush.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

One thing that's missing from the rules is a way to inflict that "my sword is at your throat, listen to me or get Decided" effect mid-combat that you can already inflict on a successful ambush.

you mean Hold at Bay?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Yeah, that one. It seems like there should be a Hold At Bay gambit that's strictly worse than making a regular Decisive attack but lets you hold the victim at bay rather than actually decapitate them if you roll well enough to hypothetically kill them.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

Yeah, that one. It seems like there should be a Hold At Bay gambit that's strictly worse than making a regular Decisive attack but lets you hold the victim at bay rather than actually decapitate them if you roll well enough to hypothetically kill them.

That's definitely the sort of thing that falls within the purview of the ST improvising gambits, which the book does outline. What difficulty would you peg such a gambit at, is the real question? My inclination is like, 5.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
Would it even be a gambit? It seems slightly better than just making a decisive attack.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Attorney at Funk posted:

That's definitely the sort of thing that falls within the purview of the ST improvising gambits, which the book does outline. What difficulty would you peg such a gambit at, is the real question? My inclination is like, 5.

The normal Gambit rules don't quite work because you only spend/lose a Gambit's cost after making the attack, and generally Gambits have set difficulties rather than scaling ones. Since you want an attempt to neutralize someone to be measurably worse than just murking them, at least slightly so, you'd need to have it cause you to lose Initiative or take some other penalty first, then make the attack, then count how much damage the attack would've done...

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ferrinus posted:

The normal Gambit rules don't quite work because you only spend/lose a Gambit's cost after making the attack, and generally Gambits have set difficulties rather than scaling ones. Since you want an attempt to neutralize someone to be measurably worse than just murking them, at least slightly so, you'd need to have it cause you to lose Initiative or take some other penalty first, then make the attack, then count how much damage the attack would've done...

5 it is, then.

Thesaurasaurus
Feb 15, 2010

"Send in Boxbot!"

I'd say to base the difficulty/initiative cost of the Gambit on the amount of damage you'd have to do to take them out. Not necessarily the entirety of their remaining health track, in the case of people or critters that aren't inclined to fight to the death, but maybe "damage needed to incap +2" or something works as a baseline, with the caveat that the Initiative is only spent after the Hold At Bay timer has run down or else you run into weird situations where holding a sword to someone's throat is less threatening because you can't actually do enough injury to kill them any longer, or some such.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

I seem to recall rules about defeating people by driving them so far into Negative Initiative that they cannot recover, but I don't think concrete rules were given.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Mile'ionaha posted:

I seem to recall rules about defeating people by driving them so far into Negative Initiative that they cannot recover, but I don't think concrete rules were given.

It was more for people farming initiative from a single opponent non-stop. At that point the game just suggests killing them off automatically if they're already that outmatched.

MiltonSlavemasta
Feb 12, 2009

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man on the moon
"When you coming home, dad?"
"I don't know when
We'll get together then son you know we'll have a good time then."

Bedlamdan posted:

It was more for people farming initiative from a single opponent non-stop. At that point the game just suggests killing them off automatically if they're already that outmatched.

If Negative Initiative gets too low, I would probably fiat that the opponent runs (if not sorely outmatched speed-wise) or passes out from exhaustion.

Or transforms to their final form. Just depends on what's appropriate for the scene.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

MiltonSlavemasta posted:

If Negative Initiative gets too low, I would probably fiat that the opponent runs (if not sorely outmatched speed-wise) or passes out from exhaustion.

That's what the book says to do. It just doesn't give a number.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

If you spend three turns in negative initiative, your initiative actually resets to base.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

If you spend three turns in negative initiative, your initiative actually resets to base.

Maybe that is for only players.

Or maybe that is for characters that stay at mildly negative numbers for three rounds, but being pushed to -20 knocks you out of combat.

Either way, we need more options for Exalts to beat people without murdering them.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I like the idea of giving crashed NPCs a Resolve penalty so the talky people have an easier time talking them down.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mile'ionaha posted:

Or maybe that is for characters that stay at mildly negative numbers for three rounds, but being pushed to -20 knocks you out of combat.

Either way, we need more options for Exalts to beat people without murdering them.
Funnily enough, one of the games I was in had the reverse of this problem, in that people were so addicted to beating up and "convincing," SRW-game style, old antagonists and enemies that... we had an extremely unwieldy allies list. And since we were in the West and on a ship, gently caress it, we brought those assholes along!

So I found myself in the odd position of wishing we'd kill some pricks for a change of pace.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Nessus posted:

Funnily enough, one of the games I was in had the reverse of this problem, in that people were so addicted to beating up and "convincing," SRW-game style, old antagonists and enemies that... we had an extremely unwieldy allies list. And since we were in the West and on a ship, gently caress it, we brought those assholes along!

So I found myself in the odd position of wishing we'd kill some pricks for a change of pace.

I've absolutely seen people like that who play like that.

I've also seen people with 100% Kill Rates who never leave someone alive.

Sometimes they end up in the same game and that's when it gets fun!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Mile'ionaha posted:

No, the three-round reset is a hard, general rule, and I can't actually find the text for what you're talking about offhand. I think there IS a sidebar like "if you notice one combatant is at -400 initiative and the PCs are just using him as a generator and he can't seem to ever do anything, probably just consider him out of the fight" floating around somewhere, but that's an ST spot judgment okay-i'm-calling-this thing. You can't actually beat someone by withering them forever.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Ferrinus posted:

Counterpoint: is 'holding someone at bay' really neutralizing them, in the same way that killing them would be? It's not disarming them, knocking them out, trapping them behind an obstacle, whatever. It's just stalling them briefly.

Possibly I'm misunderstanding.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Stallion Cabana posted:

I've absolutely seen people like that who play like that.

I've also seen people with 100% Kill Rates who never leave someone alive.

Sometimes they end up in the same game and that's when it gets fun!
We once had someone show up for a session whose introductory act was murdering the guy who we had bludgeoned into submission (for interrogation, more than 'befriending') the session before. That was a hell of a catpiss story.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

PleasingFungus posted:

Counterpoint: is 'holding someone at bay' really neutralizing them, in the same way that killing them would be? It's not disarming them, knocking them out, trapping them behind an obstacle, whatever. It's just stalling them briefly.

Possibly I'm misunderstanding.

Well, maybe. I'm not in position to look up the actual mechanics of the attack you get to make if someone you're Holding At Bay just plain didn't listen, but if it's just a regular old decisive attack vs. DV 0 then a normal if high-cost Gambit might do just fine.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Ferrinus posted:

Well, maybe. I'm not in position to look up the actual mechanics of the attack you get to make if someone you're Holding At Bay just plain didn't listen, but if it's just a regular old decisive attack vs. DV 0 then a normal if high-cost Gambit might do just fine.

it also adds 5 levels of damage automatically.

Nihnoz
Aug 24, 2009

ararararararararararara
I've replaced the Crafting system in my game with a modified Sorcerous Project system, though there's some differences, like costing no BP. The Crafting tree is pretty small and sad right now, haha. But that leaves plenty of room for Craft charms that don't just add dice to things if I ever get around to filling them in.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GYhcVwLT9-2q7zT9cyAMzw2FHmq9bCP1Ire3Kb4SelY/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know what you think!

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

So I'm on a phone and can't easily dig it up and quote it in full but isn't the recent word about the book's layout process completely half-assed and/or insane or am I missing something?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Ferrinus posted:

So I'm on a phone and can't easily dig it up and quote it in full but isn't the recent word about the book's layout process completely half-assed and/or insane or am I missing something?
No, you're not missing anything.

quote:

As I write this, Maria is configuring the text, illustrations, and design elements of individual chapters of EX3 so that each chapter has a distinctive visual look and feel. While I think Maria prefers this approach to her books anyway, it will also serve to help differentiate chapters for easier use of the book- which will be important for a book this size!
While some designers may layout a book from pg1 and work through to the end completely integrating all the text and elements page to page, Maria is working more organically from chapter to chapter and building up the design across the book. So, none of the chapters are done, but all of them are in the process of getting done. Every chapter's text is in but being tweaked as she integrates the art and design elements, with some art having borders, some fading, some bleeding off the page.
Once we have the proof ready for the devs to go through, I will check with them as to their willingness to preview a few spreads from various chapters here.
That middle paragraph is basically "either we never communicated to our layout person the need for a style/format guide and chapter template in advance, or we don't care, so now two years into the project the groundwork for print design is being laid with the draft material already on hand" which in the world of non-amateur publishing is the equivalent of hiring an architect but not asking them for a plan until you've got backhoes parked on the lawn.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I would guess that it's closer to "Maria didn't start working until she had everything she needed to finish working because she's paid by the job and not the hour."

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
This loving game is never coming out.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

What do you mean it's been out for a while now, I've been playing it for months. :shepface:

I thought the chibi-iconics in the latest non-update were pretty cute at least.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Rand Brittain posted:

I would guess that it's closer to "Maria didn't start working until she had everything she needed to finish working because she's paid by the job and not the hour."
From experience I'd say you don't need the entire book-that-doesn't-exist to come up with a coherent layout plan if you've got any sort of lines of communication open with the people designing and developing it, and that with one of those you can build a template and lay out a book sequentially as material comes in instead of spaghetti-to-wall, wall-to-page. But I'm only basing this on the creation of actual reference materials that saw the light of day on a schedule and not Schroedinger's lovely Christmas. I'm also not an artiste I guess

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

From experience I'd say you don't need the entire book-that-doesn't-exist to come up with a coherent layout plan if you've got any sort of lines of communication open with the people designing and developing it, and that with one of those you can build a template and lay out a book sequentially as material comes in instead of spaghetti-to-wall, wall-to-page. But I'm only basing this on the creation of actual reference materials that saw the light of day on a schedule and not Schroedinger's lovely Christmas. I'm also not an artiste I guess

You have to remember that nothing was nailed down for this game. They remade it from the ground up halfway through. Given that, working on the layout before poo poo is DONE is pointless.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Transient People posted:

You have to remember that nothing was nailed down for this game. They remade it from the ground up halfway through. Given that, working on the layout before poo poo is DONE is pointless.
Unless they were considering working off of acrostic-based charm layouts and House of Leaves style intro fiction, no it's not. Do you know what the sections of the book are in broad, one- to three-word pitches? Do you know if they will be one, two, or three-column pages? Do you know if you'll have sidebars at all? Do you know if your art is going to bleed, fade, or be underlaid (answering "yes to all" is valid here, you make different page templates for each and then drop them in as the spread requires because you're not laying things out on a wax machine like Palladium circa 1991)?

Congratulations, if you can answer more than two of these, you can build a full book template regardless of how many charms your book is going to have, whether your artists have or haven't finished their work, and how many times your content has leaked. Especially if you have two prior editions' worth of broad strokes layouts to work with and a general format (reference manual with interlude fiction and possibly frequent sidebars, and at least two chapters that you know are going to be full of flowchart diagrams and stat blocks) to base it on.

And that leaves aside the fact that, when poo poo IS done (and if it truly was "remade...from the ground up halfway through" then you have a full year lead-out, don't you?), there's still no good reason to go about it paragraph here, page there, unless you either (1) still don't have content your writers have signed off on enough for you to comfortably lay out (in which case why would they send it to you in layout at all), or (2) just don't feel like finishing things a chunk at a time, because you can't settle on a template (which circles around back to point 1, do it earlier or get better direction from your team lead earlier holy poo poo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

because you're not laying things out on a wax machine like Palladium circa 1991
Doesn't Palladium still do that or something like it?

• Locked thread