Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

Woah. Catching up on this week's ep and daaaaaamn, Chief Tyrol seems to be morphing into Brian Dennehy.

drat, I completely missed that that was Aaron Douglas. The years have not been kind to him (or his career, it seems like).

Tamizander Rey posted:

I predict Ravi will become a zombie and develop a cure but, gasp, only one dose and Liv will make him take it.

I think the most interesting way this would turn out is if he finds a cure but she decides she doesn't want to take it yet. Though I don't think her characterization is in a place now where that wouldn't seem like out of the blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Liv will have the option to cure Blaine, but instead sticks an arrow in his eye.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

iZombie is a DC comic, right? What are the rules about interacting with other properties?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

iZombie is a DC comic, right? What are the rules about interacting with other properties?

In the finale Superman and Batman will show up and fix everything.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

iZombie was Vertigo. Vertigo did occasionally interact with the regular DC universe early on, but for the last 20 years or so it's been pretty much standalone. Also every Vertigo title currently in print has its own discrete world and they don't even interact with each other. The only exception to this in recent times was The Unwritten crossing over with Fables, and that could only happen because The Unwritten is metafiction.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Rarity posted:

Lowell might be on board with Blaine's plan and secretly evil. It would explain why Blaine said he knew he was doing with her

I figure this is it considering he lied about his brain source. He also probably lied about how he became a zombie considering a random scratch while drunk wouldn't really put him on Blaine's radar. There's also the fact that the company he worked for created the chemical that Blaine spiked his utopia with at the boat party.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I figure this is it considering he lied about his brain source. He also probably lied about how he became a zombie considering a random scratch while drunk wouldn't really put him on Blaine's radar. There's also the fact that the company he worked for created the chemical that Blaine spiked his utopia with at the boat party.

Well he said he doesn't actually remember how it happened, which means it is entirely possible Blaine turned him and he just doesn't remember. Unlikely, but still possible.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

He's a musician. He could have simply tried Utopium at a party while drinking his contractually required energy drink. He doesn't remember how he turned, so he probably wasn't sober when it happened.

As for braaaaiiins, it is possible that he wasn't lying. He was buying brains from a mortuary. Then Blaine also started buying up brains from all the local mortuaries, because he's not a total idiot and realizes eventually even street kids will be missed if you murder enough of them. They meet because they are both doing business with the same mortuary, and Blaine sells him on his convenient home delivery service. It's a little more expensive, but this way he doesn't have to deal with the hassle.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The main thing that makes me think he is on-board with Blaine (willingly or otherwise) is that he's a stealth zombie. I don't think anyone who just unexpectedly turned up zombified would get the spray tan and hair dye routine together quickly enough to avoid notice.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

But on the other hand, wasn't one of the brains he ate of some kind of genius scientist? That doesn't seem like the kind of brain Blaine would be apt to procure.

He totally killed and ate the brain of the woman that killed liv's sorority sister though. Wonder what Liv will end up thinking of that.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Why the hell doesn't she just save samples of the brains in the freezer so she can swap people?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

FoxTerrier posted:

He totally killed and ate the brain of the woman that killed liv's sorority sister though. Wonder what Liv will end up thinking of that.

I hadn't thought of that, I figured she was killed by the company trying to hide is secrets. The place was described as a cult and I'm expecting a reveal that they're actively trying to trigger a zombie outbreak.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Yeah, that episode's ending definitely felt like season two setup. If it were something simpler we probably would've seen some sort of indication.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

That gym scene was fantastic.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Liv Moore, Zombie slayer. I want her to take the shot. Gotta have a little fun killing zombies.

FoxTerrier
Feb 15, 2012

Perfectly logical poster who uses the tools available to him to come to solid conclusions

Did anyone else notice the copy of Chekov on top of Majors dresser, when he put the gun in it at the start?

Because that was hilarious. I hope they follow through with the reference.

Seriously, screw that guy. Kill em Major, and let Liv have the brains

Edit: gently caress gently caress gently caress that poo poo!!!!!!!

FoxTerrier fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 13, 2015

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
So much for that love triangle.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Aha at that ending.

Major's life gets worse every episode. Having the cops think you are a psychotic with drug problems and a gun probably isn't the best thing.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'm betting the season end is Liv's reveal to Major.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Was not expecting the reference to Rob Thomas' first novel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rats_Saw_God

Check it out if you can, its almost like a rough draft of veronica mars' themes minus the Private Investigator noir influence.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

:tviv:

drat, this show might be cute and cozy but it knows when to throw its punches.

EDIT: Also somebody better give Major some validation soon because this is giving me Snuffleupagus-themed traumatic flashbacks.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 13, 2015

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

drat it, she had the sniper's motto in mind. It was perfect for this situation. His death would have saved her boyfriend's, possibly that elderly astronaut, and a bunch of other hapless homeless youth. Maybe that makes me a terrible person, but I wanted her to take the shot and would have had no compunction against said action.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Pan Dulce posted:

drat it, she had the sniper's motto in mind. It was perfect for this situation. His death would have saved her boyfriend's, possibly that elderly astronaut, and a bunch of other hapless homeless youth. Maybe that makes me a terrible person, but I wanted her to take the shot and would have had no compunction against said action.

I hope they at least have her realise that not killing him was the wrong choice and don't make it a "bad things happened but you did the right thing" situation.

Hef Deezy
Jun 11, 2006

Show no fear. Show no emotion at all.

Tiggum posted:

I hope they at least have her realise that not killing him was the wrong choice and don't make it a "bad things happened but you did the right thing" situation.

Liv is absolutely gonna be torn up about not taking the shot. Which makes the usual CW "lol she a drunk this week" preview all the more obnoxious.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Man, what's with CW and this heroes not killing villains theme? She really should have shot.

Also, I really enjoyed that Ravi's first encounter with Liv's sister was in that Blue dress showing off that nice big rear end. Man, I wish I could gently caress Ravi.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Rhyno posted:

I was watching with my Veronica Mars loving girlfriend and we both yelled "DICK!" at the same time.

I'm probably going to marry that girl.

Wallace!

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Ernie. posted:

Wallace!

THANK YOU. I knew I knew him from somewhere. It's the weird scraggly facial hair that threw me off.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Ravane posted:

Man, what's with CW and this heroes not killing villains theme? She really should have shot.

Also, I really enjoyed that Ravi's first encounter with Liv's sister was in that Blue dress showing off that nice big rear end. Man, I wish I could gently caress Ravi.

Clarke on The 100 would have killed him. And his family. Probably half the city too. :colbert:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Poor Major just has no clue what genre he's in

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Clarke on The 100 would have killed him. And his family. Probably half the city too. :colbert:

Thinking about it... if the show does kill off Blaine (is that his name?), what about his henchmen? His butcher? Are they also kill-worthy? What about the police officer complicit in all these murders? For that matter, what happens to every individual he's scratched that's on a meal plan?

She might HAVE to pull a Clarke.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Pan Dulce posted:

Thinking about it... if the show does kill off Blaine (is that his name?), what about his henchmen? His butcher? Are they also kill-worthy? What about the police officer complicit in all these murders? For that matter, what happens to every individual he's scratched that's on a meal plan?

She might HAVE to pull a Clarke.

Blaine is the Sadaam Hussein of this show. He's the only thing keeping the zombies from just tearing into every human they see. He's not a good guy, but a necessary evil.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Ravane posted:

Blaine is the Sadaam Hussein of this show. He's the only thing keeping the zombies from just tearing into every human they see. He's not a good guy, but a necessary evil.

Unfortunately he's also expanding the size of the horde, making the problem worse all the time.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Let's be honest if Clarke were in that situation she would probably shoot through Lowell cause he was taking too long to give her a clean shot. :v:

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Ravane posted:

Depending on the zombie population and how frequently they need to eat, it's not inconceivable they could keep up with supply without having to kill people. Especially without him infecting people to expand his consume base.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Angela Christine posted:

Unfortunately he's also expanding the size of the horde, making the problem worse all the time.
Yeah, there's that. But it is an interesting point - imagine that Liv shoots Blaine, and his business collapses. You now suddenly have dozens of zombies with no food source and no experience getting food for themselves safely, and a very slim window of time before they slide into Zombie Mode. I mean - how late was that zombie woman's order before she went berserk and shish-kebobbed that delivery boy?

And it's not like we've been hearing about mysterious corpses being found with their brains missing. Doesn't look like any zombie's been left in the wild. Either they're self-sustaining rogues like Liv, or they're on Blaine's client list.

I mean, Blaine's on a sinking ship, no doubt about it - he's gotten too greedy and has now created too large (and too powerful!) of a client base to manage discreetly. The wheels are starting to come off the bus. But he probably IS the reason why there hasn't been a zombie outbreak yet. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if he used that as his personal moral justification. He didn't sire ALL the zombies on his client list - presumably some were created by the accident on the boat or others were created by the boat people, and Blaine simply found them because his own condition gave him insight into where to look.

Liv even admitted this episode that it was sheer dumb luck she managed to chow down on a brain early enough to become self-aware of her condition and take steps to be discreet about it. And she quickly enough found herself a job that got her easy access to brains. If she'd had to grave rob or hit up mortuaries she would have run into Blaine much sooner.

So, as sad as I am that Hunky Musician Zombie is dead - killing Blaine at this point would probably only make things worse.

Springtime Goddess
Sep 2, 2006

oh no i put a stupid title text here when i registered in 2006 please how do i change it i am not good with computer
Did anyone else feel that the weekly murder mystery was just an excuse to give Liv a gun and shooting skills? It's resolved really easily and a lot of elements seem unnecessary (like the troubled kid and the weird night disturbances that the neighbor reports). The overarching plot part was really great, but it almost seems like they cut out a lot of the murder mystery in order to fit it within the running time.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

AbDomen posted:

Did anyone else feel that the weekly murder mystery was just an excuse to give Liv a gun and shooting skills? It's resolved really easily and a lot of elements seem unnecessary (like the troubled kid and the weird night disturbances that the neighbor reports). The overarching plot part was really great, but it almost seems like they cut out a lot of the murder mystery in order to fit it within the running time.

Rob Thomas said as much in an interview with Alan Sepinwall. As the show went on, the room got less interested in the cases of the week and more into the ongoing story -- particularly since at any moment in an episode, Liv can have a vision that instantly snaps the whole murder into relief, thus diminishing the dramatic potential of the mystery.

Endormoon
Mar 30, 2004
So doing a little zombie math, Blaine has to be getting his brains from more than just skate park kids.

So far we've seen eight of his zombies (not counting Liv). Four are now dead. But In the back of his delivery car this week he had twelve lunch boxes. Even if all of his deliveries are made on the same day, that's twelve zombies to feed plus himself and his crew of two. That's fifteen brains a week at a bare minimum, and twice now the show has pointed out that Blaine is delivering whole brains to his customers.

Blaine has been a zombie just as long as Liv, so he's had months to build up his brain enterprise, but in that time, only thirty something people went missing from the local area according to Babinaux when he looked into it. Lowell talked like he'd been a zombie for awhile, so Blaine's operation wasn't a new venture. Which means that he is either getting brains from other sources, or he is murdering sixty plus people a month on the extreme low end without anyone noticing. Even with a homicide captain in his pocket, that seems unlikely.

Add in Lowell's gay genius brain which doesn't fit with the street kids angle, and the fact that in the second episode, Blaine tries to turn Liv into a source of brains, it's just silly to think he is killing his way to his quota.

I'm way too into this show I think.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I'm pretty sure he is also buying a large number from mortuaries too. Get the director in your pocket and pop the scull before cremation.

The murders are just when he's not meeting quota.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis
Blaine's only leverage on other zombies is that he provides them with brains (and maybe gets a great deal on spray tans), so I doubt he could coerce a brainsource like a mortuary in that way. It could be a more traditional supplier/distributor transaction, or Blaine has fingers in other pies (his turning of a major Seattle powerbroker seems to imply that he has some longterm designs)

• Locked thread