Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Are tailoring and leather working the only craftable armor types right now? If so, how does one go about crafting decent stuff? I've been having a hard time finding decent gear. Even at 50, I'm still wearing some level 20 items because I can't find anything better with the effects I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Blacksmithing has a few odd pieces like shoes for animals. Toolcrafting has a few things.. Spring Fairy equipment and Snail equipment. None of them seem to be fully 'together' really. I recently got the recipes for the spring fairy chest/legs/shoes.

So.. crafting is rough.
It's typically expensive, because everything needs at least one gem (usually specific to your skill, so using a Peridot will make equipment that requires Archery and has Archery mods). When you craft the item, it can randomly be Uncommon/Rare/Exceptional/Epic/Legendary, or Green/Cyan/Purple/Bright Purpleish/Yellow, and those items have 1/2/3/4/5 different randomly-selected mods on them respectively. The chances of a higher tier item are fairly low, and then you might get one with all of the wrong mods on it vs. what you're looking for. That goes for all equipment crafting.. cloth, leather, toolcrafting, blacksmithing, and staves. There are also Max-Enchanted recipes, that require an additional gem.. a 'maximized' Onyx, Bloodstone, or Sardonyx (high favor to get recipes with a fairy in the Winter Nexus).. basically gems converted with 2 winterprize gems and a sharpening stone. These recipes automatically have one additional mod on them.

So basically, you want to make quality leather Archery boots.
15 maximized onyx
15 peridot
75 quality leather
15 leather strips

The results of this might be 10 green boots (trash), 2 cyan (also trash), 1 purple, and if you're really lucky, 1 bright purple. So you have maybe two pieces of equipment out of this that might have some of the enchants you're looking for, or might absolutely not.

Crafting is a grind to get the 'right' gear. But it's something to do when you're 50 in a bunch of skills and waiting for the game to get around to adding the next two stages of levels/content.

That being said, if you want to collect something like quality leather, shoddy leather, an appropriate gem, winterprize, and the onyx/sardonyx/bloodstone that you need maximized for different types of equipment, I'm sure goons would have no problem running the combines for you. I can do leather, staves, toolcrafting, LatinaPrincess can do probably everything.

We also do oils, but that's a whole other complicated thing.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
So in its current form, there's no reason to try and make gear below level 50? Sounds like it's cost prohibitive to try and churn out anything but max components gear. If there was a reliable gem vendor that would sell us stacks of the specific gems we wanted, we would at least be able to grind out mid level gear EQ style.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Really, the problem is that the game is going to be 100 levels, with 25 'bonus' levels for many skills, and right now we're capped at 50 in a newbie-ish area. The dev discussed this a bit.. content that we're seeing is really designed for us having gear with 1-2 useful mods on each piece maybe, mostly blues with a few better if we're lucky.. and we're playing capped out at 50 and working towards 'best in slot' pieces for what is essentially newbie/mid levels, and trying to duo or solo the hardest content in the game.. when it'll likely become trivial when things open up and we're 10 levels higher or more.

So.. if you get to the point where you're 50 and looking for things to do, crafting 50 gear is cool. You use the same gems (not the maximized) for lower level crafting, so it's not the most ideal thing to do, especially with the randomness of things.. you are likely better off wearing the appropriate belt and doing a dungeon for some boss drops and chests. Another good reason to craft gear when you're 50 and need something to do is to determine if you like it at all for when the game 'opens up', or to make suggestions about it. Hell, it used to be that each 'tier' had a random # of mods.. green might have 1-2, blue might have 1-3, purple 2-4, yellow 3-5. So, you could have a blue piece with 3 mods, just as good effectively as your lucky yellow piece that ended up rolling poorly with 3 mods. LatinaPrincess crafted the gently caress out of things and then posted a lengthy suggestion on the forums about it, and now there's an extra color tier, modified frequency of the different rarities, and a static # of mods (green/blue/purple/"bright purple"/yellow have 1/2/3/4/5 mods).. which is a lot more clear and less frustrating when you can just gloss over a green/blue piece now as being useless in terms of upgrades.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Grinding skins is easy enough. Grinding gems is a huge pain in the rear end. I'd much prefer it if there was a gem vendor that I had to favor up to the levels needed to get the tier of gem I'm after.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

glug posted:

Really, the problem is that the game is going to be 100 levels,
Oh god, why

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
In part I guess because he's got a bunch of ideas and is spacing them out? Like the new augment oils were supposed to be for level 75, but people are stuck at 50 for too long. And I assume he's looking at adding more zones and more challenging combat?

And, of course, so we can strive to get server first level 125 gender studies.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
So if I can't kill the cow that turned me into a cow... should I just reroll? Or is it simple to find this other dude that can cure me?

Tanners
Dec 13, 2011

woof

Stringbean posted:

So if I can't kill the cow that turned me into a cow... should I just reroll? Or is it simple to find this other dude that can cure me?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wAAImwbD1J0gwnwnDxR6FASnJzM9ghDdkNO3IsA372c/edit#gid=1951270702

Click the Word of Power tab here.

Enter one of the words under "Cure Bovinity" into your chat

that should remove the curse, be sure to remove the word once you use it as theyre one-use only.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Also, now you know why there were giant warning screens and spam. Another example of a curse.. LatinaPrincess decided to try and take on one of the final bosses of the game (currently) solo. Now, if you group with him, he will randomly say poo poo like "C'mon Glug, you're looting everything and I'm not getting poo poo!" or "I know you're kind of young but could you at least TRY a little bit?"

Not kidding.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
There's also the wolf in the garden that'll give you a gathering quest to uncow you. Plus, many people are friendly enough to go with you and kill the boss if you need it and they happen to be in the area for whatever reason. That'll uncow you too.

Having said that, I'm quite enjoying my cow. Getting the speed buff at level 11 really made it a lot of fun.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

glug posted:

Also, now you know why there were giant warning screens and spam. Another example of a curse.. LatinaPrincess decided to try and take on one of the final bosses of the game (currently) solo. Now, if you group with him, he will randomly say poo poo like "C'mon Glug, you're looting everything and I'm not getting poo poo!" or "I know you're kind of young but could you at least TRY a little bit?"

The speech filters I've been cursed with were pretty amusing, but this one takes the cake. just wow :mmmhmm:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

glug posted:

Another example of a curse.. LatinaPrincess decided to try and take on one of the final bosses of the game (currently) solo. Now, if you group with him, he will randomly say poo poo like "C'mon Glug, you're looting everything and I'm not getting poo poo!" or "I know you're kind of young but could you at least TRY a little bit?" Not kidding.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

This game...

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I'm super glad I got Animal Handling up to 50. I've been using that to power level myself. If I keep AH on my second bar but don't use any of the skills then the primary skill shifts to 150% xp bonus. I spent a few hours in SunVale yesterday letting Old Fangsworth eat trolls while I did token damage with whatever I had on bar 1. I took shield, psychology, and unarmed to 25 that afternoon from basically nothing.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
That sounds slick.

Also: sorry I'm not on at the moment.

The Witcher 3.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Power leveling mentalism and psychology were super easy with high sword too. Kur Tower + AOE let me grab packs of 400-750xp each (the zombies or the ghouls in the new area) and they clear quite fast.

Also not on - goin on vacay.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I may have to try that. I've got max sword but the gear for it mostly focuses on precision pierce and lifetaps. I also don't know much about Kur. The two times I've been, I was following someone else in the group and they got lost and we wiped.

Also, I need to use this method to get my stuff to 25 so it won't drag down my other skill.

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 20, 2015

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

You need gear for AOE parry / riposte. Beyond that, any straight up damage boosts are nice. The bonus damage on next attack after Wind Strike is also super useful to chain into an AOE parry or riposte for big damage.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

So, apparently you can spend 12 hours hanging out with Rita hiking and sexing.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez
This game is pretty stupid, but so awesome. Too many skills. I'm in as Chodetta if you guys are active at all.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Huh. I could have sworn I already replied to this but I guess not.

It's hard to say we're active in this game the same way you find Goons doing stuff in other games. At any given time you can do a '/who all' and see 2-3 <GS> tags online even if there's only 10-15 people online total. The absence of a guild system and limited chat options at this time makes it a little harder to find other people unless you know to look for them.

Junubee
Feb 24, 2004

Cut it out, the players don't want to hear my problems.
I'm on as 'Prise' and I'm having entirely more fun than I should. I think the most amusing build I've seen in a deer necromancer/Animal handler. 3 deers, 2 or 3 skeletons, and a tiger.

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.
Did this finally get ported to Unity 5? I feel like that might improve the graphics and have been awaiting this change to jump in.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
I'm on the test server, so I can answer that.

It's not quite there yet. The transition is definitely taking some time. A lot of textural and lighting issues, mostly, are keeping things from moving along. There's also some minor additions beyond that. Things look really, really pretty by comparison though. The game is fantastic; just go ahead and join up.

crazystray
Aug 7, 2005
Grow or die.

wtsnaename posted:

I'm on the test server, so I can answer that.

It's not quite there yet. The transition is definitely taking some time. A lot of textural and lighting issues, mostly, are keeping things from moving along. There's also some minor additions beyond that. Things look really, really pretty by comparison though. The game is fantastic; just go ahead and join up.

Thanks for the info. I'll hop on tonight. Pretty excited to play something as weird and open as this, and if it eventually looks unity 5 good that would be great.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I miss you my latina princess <3

Popped on today for a few, out for the week again. But I did some cheesing, and made some WOP's out of my cheddar and a bunch of money and stuff.

20 level 5 WOPs (should've been 21 but one recipe bugged?)

Self Resurrect, Full heal x2
+100 Inventory for 1h x4
Flight for 1h x2
Health Regen +20/sec for 15m x2
+60% Combat XP for 30m
Rakshasa Illusion - 150s x3
Pig Form!
SuperJump 1h
Epic Loot 15m +Legendary Equip x2
Disgusting Body Odor (tauntx4 and -hygiene) x2

I'd say that covers all the possibilities, but considering how I have only 1 each of a few, I doubt it. Guess who can't wait to do a supergroup DC boss camping run with +100 inventory and +epic loot.

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
I miss you Glug. Please be done with your things soon.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
a few of my friends played this and i've always seen it as a big joke but then it turned out jokes are funny and good and so is thi sgame

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

glug posted:

Epic Loot 15m +Legendary Equip x2

poo poo. Now I have to grind yet another skill tree for cool stuff.

This reminds me of the SWG class grind for a Jedi slot.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

So if you get cow-cursed while you're a wolf and you un-wolf afterward, the game categorizes you as a non-beast but you're still a cow. You can use punches and druid skills and stuff as a cow if you do this.

(That might not be the actual method, but I know it has something to do with not being a cow but also being cow-cursed)

e: also I'm MusicTheory ingame

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Holy poo poo! I can bug out and be a hammer wielding cow? This is getting done tonight before they catch on. :D

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Inimicul posted:

Holy poo poo! I can bug out and be a hammer wielding cow? This is getting done tonight before they catch on. :D

You might want to act fast; I sent in a bug report when I found it.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I don't know how to un-wolf but I am curious if the same thing can be done with pig juices.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Inimicul posted:

I don't know how to un-wolf but I am curious if the same thing can be done with pig juices.

Use the werewolf ability while you're in wolf form.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Pig and unpig juices while in cow form did not allow me to use kung fu. :( I can now use a beaker for BC but I'm not sure if I could do that as a cow or not.

Edit: My test was flawed. I had a shield on so I couldn't do the rest of the attacks anyway. Pig juices may still be viable but I don't have another unpig to test with again.

Edit 2: Redid test with pig / unpig juice. No luck. This may be a wolf only thing.

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Jun 1, 2015

wtsnaename
Dec 20, 2005

And their legs get
stuck in my teeth!
Just a quick reminder for anyone joining, or anyone who hasn't looked at the Skill Spreadsheet in a while. I threw inactive tags on prettymuch everybody because I haven't seen any of them in game for a while. That said, the game itself is still pretty active, so if you're thinking about jumping in, definitely do so, and add your name to that aforementioned sheet.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
I've added myself. I couldn't figure out how to put myself in alphabetical so I'll just hang out at the bottom.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My buddy and I recently picked up Project Gorgon and we are having a blast learning about Dinosaur Anatomy while killing tame chickens and reciting Harry Potter fan fiction into a chat window in order to learn how to better dropkick things as a cow—this was our first two hours of gameplay. Our next couple of hours involved taming rats and making them pit fight against MEGASPIDER, the non-boss Elite spider which is guarding a loot hoard of spoons, and then helping a paranoid conspiracy theorist plow his girlfriend. This game reminds me so much of what Ultima Online 3D could have been had it not instead been Trammel, it just needs some kind of PVP and player housing it would be pretty much the best game ever.

10/10 would play again.

e: I am in as Vaginitis and my buddy is DrMcStudley. We are AFK playing the lute overnight in the first town. Please direct us to where to be more useful later.

Addamere fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakron
Mar 11, 2009

I'm playing around as Chakron, Animal Training Psychologist. This game is fun as hell for reasons I can't yet describe. Some definite 1999/2000 Asheron's Call 1 vibes.