Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If the poor would just agree to work for zero, automation would never be profitable and we could save all the jobs, what now liberals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

VitalSigns posted:

If the poor would just agree to work for zero, automation would never be profitable and we could save all the jobs, what now liberals

literally an argument ive had against me during discussions with a libertarian, just replace zero with "lower than minimum wage right now"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

joeburz posted:

literally an argument ive had against me during discussions with a libertarian, just replace zero with "lower than minimum wage right now"

Does not compute.

If you pay people a wage there is pressure to automate their jobs away and computers get cheaper every year. Why does your Libertarian friend want the poor to be unemployed.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah well it's important to understand the extent to which this is true and the answer is somewhat. Literally the only reason to buy expensive capital or ship jobs overseas where communication, lead time and management costs are higher is to save money. If it didn't save money it wouldn't happen and wages are obviously part of that equation.

That said, realistically there are fixed costs to employment which include more than wages like office space, benefits, liability etc.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Automation gets cheaper every year. Trying to defeat it by underbidding and underbidding and underbidding robots in a cycle of increasing poverty and misery is a losing proposition.

Anyone in a job threatened by automation would be well-served by earning enough to build up savings and afford an education to train them for the new jobs that become available. It's all very well and good to say "one day fully robot restaurants will make waiting tables and cooking food obsolete" but people have also been saying that for 80 years. In the meantime generations of workers have benefited from a wage that doesn't grind them into poverty, at least until recently when our failure to tie the minimum wage to inflation has returned full-time work to its former poverty wage.

The solution to the societal problems of creeping automation lies elsewhere, lowering wages to beat it back in the short term is not the answer.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Automation gets cheaper every year. Trying to defeat it by underbidding and underbidding and underbidding robots in a cycle of increasing poverty and misery is a losing proposition.

Anyone in a job threatened by automation would be well-served by earning enough to build up savings and afford an education to train them for the new jobs that become available. It's all very well and good to say "one day fully robot restaurants will make waiting tables and cooking food obsolete" but people have also been saying that for 80 years. In the meantime generations of workers have benefited from a wage that doesn't grind them into poverty, at least until recently when our failure to tie the minimum wage to inflation has returned full-time work to its former poverty wage.

The solution to the societal problems of creeping automation lies elsewhere, lowering wages to beat it back in the short term is not the answer.

I'm not actually a tech weirdo who thinks automated everything is around the corner. On the other hand I think the market can be incredibly clever at finding ways cut costs. So more things can and will continue to be automated at a rate that's related to labor costs.

The long term solution is certainly not minimum wage. It's pretty much the opposite.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
slavery?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

mandate a 25 hour work week and let robots pickup the slack imo

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

asdf32 posted:

I'm not actually a tech weirdo who thinks automated everything is around the corner. On the other hand I think the market can be incredibly clever at finding ways cut costs. So more things can and will continue to be automated at a rate that's related to labor costs.

The long term solution is certainly not minimum wage. It's pretty much the opposite.
So what's wrong with raising the minimum wage now?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

ElCondemn posted:

That's true, but true wealth equality means janitors would have the same quality of life as a brain surgeon. Wealth inequality is necessary right now in our society because people think janitors deserve less than a brain surgeon. The day automation forces everyone to clean toilets for a living we'll see real equality.

Janitors save more lives than brain surgeons.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

Janitors save more lives than brain surgeons.

I really loving appreciate the people driving those street sweeper rigs that drive around early in the morning, they likely prevent plague.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

asdf32 posted:

The minimum wage is irrelevant to the long term solution so there is no reason not to raise it. Trying to underbid robots is a short term solution, and when automation finally does come, years of poverty wages leave those displaced workers with no savings and no resources to train for other jobs.

I would rather get $15/hr for 10 years and be able to save and make contingencies than get $7.25/hr for 20 years and be on the street homeless within one month of losing my job, wouldn't you?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Blue Raider posted:

you know nothing about the logistics of transportation. like astoundingly nothing.

The complexities of the trucking business are too great for my feeble mind to grasp.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

is that a joke? because its pretty loving complex

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Have the Mexican truck drivers left Americans for dead in their wake as was warned?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Yeah, I feel like I could probably figure it out, doesn't seem more complex to me than any number of actually complicated jobs.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Nonsense posted:

Have the Mexican truck drivers left Americans for dead in their wake as was warned?

not even a little bit. it has to do with insurance among many other variables

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

shipping billions of dollars of goods to an absurd amount of addresses, within crazy tight deadlines ITS NOT COMPLICATED PEOPLE JUST PUT IT ON THE TRUCk JESUS

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

RBC posted:

shipping billions of dollars of goods to an absurd amount of addresses, within crazy tight deadlines ITS NOT COMPLICATED PEOPLE JUST PUT IT ON THE TRUCk JESUS

Not surprisingly, this kind of problem is what computers are great at solving. So as long as we avoid using computers he'll have plenty of job security.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

RBC posted:

Agreed, give funding to USPS.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Mo_Steel posted:

this, but, unironically

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

ElCondemn posted:

Not surprisingly, this kind of problem is what computers are great at solving. So as long as we avoid using computers he'll have plenty of job security.

you are absolutely bonkers if you think a computer could do that. the organization is the easy part

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012
drat sixteen-wheeler pussies know nothing of complexity, try handling logistics for an airline then come back to me.. :smug:

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Ocrassus posted:

drat sixteen-wheeler pussies know nothing of complexity, try handling logistics for an airline then come back to me.. :smug:

i cant loving imagine. ive handled my share of rail intermodal and it was a mfer

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

Mo_Steel posted:

usps trucks are often just the last point in the chain. It takes a lot of routing transfers to get packages from shipping point to delivery. And they use lots o contractors.

Of course things could probably be a lot smoother if it were all coordinated under one single logistics chain with all drivers on the same board instead of the free-for-all hell that the 1980 deregulation of the trucking industry ushered in. A lot fewer empty miles for drivers, fewer transfers for the packages, so on

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Blue Raider posted:

you are absolutely bonkers if you think a computer could do that. the organization is the easy part

Considering there are many companies using software to manage their fleets today, I think you might be overestimating your value in your organization.

Either way, your argument boils down to "computers will never be able to do what I do" and that's just plain wrong. I'm not saying tomorrow we'll have middle management robots holding meetings, giving presentations and talking to vendors, but some day it will happen and they'll work for peanuts.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

ElCondemn posted:

Considering there are many companies using software to manage their fleets today, I think you might be overestimating your value in your organization.

Either way, your argument boils down to "computers will never be able to do what I do" and that's just plain wrong. I'm not saying tomorrow we'll have middle management robots holding meetings, giving presentations and talking to vendors, but some day it will happen and they'll work for peanuts.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, it will get to the point where machines replace us in pretty much every field that doesn't in some way rely on innately human qualities (like therapy), but logistics is not as straightforwardly algorithmic as you make it sound, not by a long shot.

Equipment goes wrong all the loving time and you have to do a hell of a lot of rerouting. weather conditions, timescales, the job is extremely unpredictable in its variables and the solution is a matter of problem solving.

Machines are getting better at problem solving through the 'big data' approach (IE they compensate for a lack of human judgement by having access to vast quantities of data from previous scenarios that it can amalgamate). Landing an aircraft is one such example where we are making big leaps in this area. However, planning around unforeseen and unique circumstances (half of what logistics management is) is nowhere near at the same level.

Fantastic paper entitled 'The future of employment' done by a pair of quality researchers, they apply some useful methodology to break down the probability of jobs being automated. I encourage you to have a look.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

asdf32 posted:

So you can't point to any specific danger, only vaguely allude to something that even you believe is not an inevitability, all in the name of assuring there is a class of working poor doing jobs that may or may not be better done by robots. And we should base policy on this.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Maybe I'm just simple but I can't really see how anyone could argue against a reasonable increase in the minimum amount we pay people when a KitKat costs $1.20

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
The manufacturing jobs of the 1950s-1970s that everyone seems to be longing nostalgically for were largely replaced by automation, so trying to deny that it's a huge problem seems overly optimistic.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Typo posted:

The manufacturing jobs of the 1950s-1970s that everyone seems to be longing nostalgically for were largely replaced by automation, so trying to deny that it's a huge problem seems overly optimistic.

Yet here we are with low unemployment and a growing economy so perhaps the answer in the face of automation is not to push wages (remember, these were middle class blue collar jobs) as low as possible out of fear.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

archangelwar posted:

Yet here we are with low unemployment and a growing economy so perhaps the answer in the face of automation is not to push wages (remember, these were middle class blue collar jobs) as low as possible out of fear.

It's not fear, it's reality and history. Low skill demographics which are hit by minimum wage already have consistently higher unemployment.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
This is a very asinine debate when the bottom 20% has some single-digit percentage of all wealth in the nation. You could literally double what they have by taking a miserly portion of the top 20%.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

asdf32 posted:

It's not fear, it's reality and history. Low skill demographics which are hit by minimum wage already have consistently higher unemployment.

This is a thing that is trivially true, not a profound statement. And it in no way supports a position of anti-automation or anti-minimum wage, given that both automation and minimum wage have occurred yet we have steady unemployment and a growing economy. So yes, you are responding out of fear rather than an actual analysis. Not only that, it is an unspecified fear, as you have done nothing to show impact or even eventuality of outcome.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Ocrassus posted:

Fantastic paper entitled 'The future of employment' done by a pair of quality researchers, they apply some useful methodology to break down the probability of jobs being automated. I encourage you to have a look.

This was a pro read, thanks for mentioning it.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

wateroverfire posted:

Indeed: http://www.oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk/downloads/academic/The_Future_of_Employment.pdf

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

wateroverfire posted:

You're welcome. I've literally just finished a paper on this very topic but it's dry theory, these guys on the other hand have come up with a really good addition to the otherwise anaemic literature on this issue.

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
OK, so we've got a well constructed study which suggests that up to 50% of jobs, concentrated among low-wage, low-education-requirement positions, are at significant risk of being lost to automation in the next century.

Do you think a policy which makes automation more attractive to employers by raising the price of labor in that same subset of low-wage positions will:

A) Accelerate this trend
B) Have no effect on this trend
C) Slow this trend

How can you read this report and be utterly confident that the employment effects of past minimum wage increases will continue to be minimal?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Automation is going to be a crisis regardless of the wages involved.

I'd rather get paid a living wage now and be out of a job because of automation in 10 years than get paid a lovely wage now and be out of a job because of automation in 20 years. This is because people need help now.

Depressing wages to put off the inevitable just hurts people now, and doesn't help them later, either.

EDIT: When people talk about minimum wage increases not harming employment, they really mean in the near term--the job loss now because of a minimum wage hike will be negligible. They aren't going "well, gosh, nothing else will ever change!"

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

JeffersonClay posted:

How can you read this report and be utterly confident that the employment effects of past minimum wage increases will continue to be minimal?

I believe increasing the cost of labor will accelerate automation. My job is literally automation (surprisingly, that paper mentions by name one of the projects I'm working on), as an operations engineer my goal is to take the most error prone and common tasks and automate them. I think this is a good thing. Someday I hope automation makes me redundant too, and I'm pretty sure it will.

The only way it's a bad thing is if you think work is the end goal. Having jobs for people to do is not important, if no work needs to be done why should work be created? I'm hoping that increasing the cost of workers will force either a) ideas like basic income to be actually considered or b) work will be spread among more people

We can effectively increase wages for most workers, adjust overtime laws and have twice as many people working for half the amount of time. Or we can just eliminate the non-jobs and just decide to provide enough to have basic food, housing and maybe a little WAM. I'm sure there will be problems with these solutions too, but it's a step in the right direction. Any solution is going to require pretty big social changes when it comes to work and poverty.

• Locked thread