Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's actually pretty great once you start piling recoil and accuracy mods into it, but that's the case for literally every gun in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's actually pretty great once you start piling recoil and accuracy mods into it, but that's the case for literally every gun in the game.

Yeah I actually use the assault rifle a lot because you can silence it, and ammo is pretty common. If you're playing with Shifter/Biomod and pile Rate of Fire mods on it, the 5-round burst basically turns into one ludicrous super bullet and you can magdump in under a second, killing anything in the game with one headshot.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
It's a pretty decent weapon. I prefer the shotguns, but the Asssault Rifle is a good jack-of-all-trades if you're running a Rifles build.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
And the alternate fire is excellent

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
With master skill level in Rifles and 1-2 accuracy mods all five rounds of your burst will go straight down the crosshair with no meaningful spread, which compensates for the assault rifle's low damage per bullet, and you can silence it. When you can find some, 20mm HE is very handy. But until you reach that point, it's garbage.

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

StandardVC10 posted:

But until you reach that point, it's garbage.

This right here. During my first few playthroughs it wasn't ever worth it to keep that big honkin' thing in the inventory since it took so long to make it useable. Much rather chill with the sniper rifle which could still do some damage early on if you could compensate for the scope sway. Since then I've pretty much pared it down to a scoped silenced pistol and the "GEP Door Opener" since shifter/biomod fixed the "no pistol ammo in the later game" issue. I never bothered to go back and give the assault rifle a fair shot.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Hard Clumping posted:

This right here. During my first few playthroughs it wasn't ever worth it to keep that big honkin' thing in the inventory since it took so long to make it useable. Much rather chill with the sniper rifle which could still do some damage early on if you could compensate for the scope sway. Since then I've pretty much pared it down to a scoped silenced pistol and the "GEP Door Opener" since shifter/biomod fixed the "no pistol ammo in the later game" issue. I never bothered to go back and give the assault rifle a fair shot.

Whenever I plan on seriously using an Assault Rifle, I grab it as soon as I can so I can start modding it early.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Which is on Liberty Island :v:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

He didn't need it anyways.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Still remember my overwhelming disappointment when I discovered that you could silence/suppress the assault rifle, but nothing about the model changed. Caveman times, indeed.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

MrL_JaKiri posted:

made me laugh, poor rookie

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

EngineerSean posted:

made me laugh, poor rookie

The fact that you could not only actually kill that guy but you could take his weapon and your boss would call you out on it later was when I knew I was in for something special; Even System Shock 2 did the cheap "oh whoops the shotgun that guy was using against you disintegrated after you killed him" thing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sleeveless posted:

The fact that you could not only actually kill that guy but you could take his weapon and your boss would call you out on it later was when I knew I was in for something special;

As someone who has never, in 15 years, killed that guy to steal his weapon: What! :stare:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

The fact that you could not only actually kill that guy but you could take his weapon and your boss would call you out on it later was when I knew I was in for something special; Even System Shock 2 did the cheap "oh whoops the shotgun that guy was using against you disintegrated after you killed him" thing.

You even get different dialog if you knock him out instead of killing him!

My favorite thing in that regard, though, is how every enemy in the game has limited ammo. You can make them run out and charge you with a knife.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

chiasaur11 posted:

You even get different dialog if you knock him out instead of killing him!

My favorite thing in that regard, though, is how every enemy in the game has limited ammo. You can make them run out and charge you with a knife.

Sometimes they have hilariously inadequate ammo supplies, and it makes the dramatic shootouts between the NSF and Unatco troopers in Battery Park and outside Osgood & Sons degenerate into CLOP CLOP CLOP SHWING OOF CLOP CLOP CLOP SHWING OOF AAUUUUUUGH

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

One thing I always loved about DX is how the sound of gunfire doesn't travel very far but bullet impacts do, and they chose a weird sound effect. Dudes out there letting it rip with their assault rifles and it sounds like gentle rainfall on a tiled roof.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Apr 28, 2015

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Basic Chunnel posted:

One thing I always loved about DX is how the sound of gunfire doesn't travel very far but bullet impacts do, and they chose a weird sound effect. Dudes out there letting it rip with their assault rifles and it sounds like gentle rainfall on a tiled roof.

DX1's oddball sound design is a part of it's charm for me.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC-6LPOHajo

#2 is :stare:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Holy poo poo that's amazing. I can't believe there's so much in the game that I still don't know.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

#8, god drat.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I can't believe there's yet another medbot on Liberty Island that I didn't know about. I swear to god they are sneaking in medbots via stealth updates.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I can't believe there's yet another medbot on Liberty Island that I didn't know about. I swear to god they are sneaking in medbots via stealth updates.

That Medbot makes fighting in the back of LIberty Island so much easier. If things turn sour while you're there, just go to the nearby medbot and heal up instead of slowly going all the way back to the Medbot near the bay.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
You know what else makes combat easier? Never being seen by anyone, ever. :colbert:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

You know what else makes combat easier? Never being seen by anyone, ever. :colbert:

My Sawed-Off Shotgun that can double as a sniper rifle disagrees.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I agre- Oof Oof Oof Oof Oof EUUUUEUUAUUUUUGH

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

I'm terrible at stealth in these games because as far as I'm concerned the only purpose it serves is getting close enough to use whatever short-range one-hit-kill/knockout ability the devs have provided.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm terrible at stealth in these games because as far as I'm concerned the only purpose it serves is getting close enough to use whatever short-range one-hit-kill/knockout ability the devs have provided.
Combining compulsive stealthiness with compulsive hording with compulsive 100% nonlethal takedowns is worse.

To stealthily take out men in black using the smallest amount of even the least valuable ammo: 1 half unit (a single puff) of pepper spray (200 per cartridge), 1 unit of stun prod charge, 1 baton swing.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Sir, you are playing correctly. While I truthfully admire your resolve, due to the vast amount of available resources in the game I feel you may be hurting your efficiency by staying at maximum ammo at all times. You should only charge your systems when they've been significantly drained. It's a lot like an electric razor. If you leave it plugged in all the time, the battery loses its zero point. Just watch your levels.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
I wanted 'Orange', it gave me 'Lemon Lime'

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Alabaster White posted:

I can hear it

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Alabaster White posted:

Fun fact: that YEEEAARRRGH death yell was by the same guy who voiced Helios.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnfDxP-nD-g

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Running at people at full speed with a crowbar :colbert:

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
The crate with lockpick and key behind the green room thingy on Liberty Island :stare:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Running at people at full speed with a crowbar :colbert:

Baton from the starting dock, set for life. If I'm biomoddin', and you know I am, then the upgrade to Paul's Blackjack is all I need.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Baton from the starting dock, set for life. If I'm biomoddin', and you know I am, then the upgrade to Paul's Blackjack is all I need.
The clackity noise it makes when you pull it out is one of my favorite things.

Poolparty
Aug 18, 2013

I think I just broke Liberty Island. After capturing the guy at the top of the tower and meeting Paul outside of UNATCO I decided to throw gas grenades over the wall at the building. Now Paul is really angry and going around shooting all the UNATCO troops except everyone is set to invulnerable.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Poolparty posted:

I think I just broke Liberty Island. After capturing the guy at the top of the tower and meeting Paul outside of UNATCO I decided to throw gas grenades over the wall at the building. Now Paul is really angry and going around shooting all the UNATCO troops except everyone is set to invulnerable.

Welcome to Deus Ex.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Poolparty posted:

What a shame.

You know what else makes combat easier? Dragon Tooth Sword. :colbert:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Poolparty posted:

The gas from the grenades will go through the UNATCO base wall, which speedrunners use to get the guy behind the desk to rush out the door, opening it and allowing the player to skip Liberty Island altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I'm running the GOG version on a new Macbook Pro 15 using a wrapper. Any of you guys know how I might be able to install mods given this case, or am I sort of out of luck? (Especially the visual ones & fixer.)

Wrapper: http://paulthetall.com/deus-ex-mac/