Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Code Jockey posted:

How does this work though, how do they not melt instantly even if added post-baking

Alouicious posted:

There

ARE

N O

R U L E S

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Code Jockey posted:

How does this work though, how do they not melt instantly even if added post-baking

It was a joke from Pizza Hut :ssh:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH

Eh, kiwi is not all that far from pineapple. Might be allright.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'd try it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Hello, Pizza Hitler here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6svieyUDX0

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

biopanda posted:

How about some traditional Finnish "cuisine":

Memma is deliciuos! Looks like crap, but really tasty.

It's a traditional dessert made from rye flour, malt, molasses and bitter orange peel. Served with heavy cream or whipped cream. Not too sweet, and very flavorful.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"I ate all your bees!" :qq:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
the thread has come to a head

yeah, this is what papa john planned

bein' mocked by some goober guys

about toppings you put on pies

bugs, pineapple, raisins and more

all with no regrets

a goon with no regrets

RULES OF PIZZA

and you'll bake when the sun comes up

with the stove on high (on HIGH!)

until it browns (CRISP CRUST!)

ITT picky eaters won't survive

it's done, it's done

grab your Emeril oven mitt

this fuckin' pizza ain't no takeout poo poo

no guarantees, but it's TIME TO EAT

RULES OF PIZZA

GOTTA STAY FAI has a new favorite as of 14:13 on May 13, 2015

Poulpe
Nov 11, 2006
Canadian Santa Extraordinaire
The yearly Calgary Stampede here in Alberta prides itself on disgusting Midway food offerings every year, the scorpion pizza mentioned above generated some buzz last year.

Here's this year's offerings!

Most of it seems pretty alright, with a few notable exceptions:

quote:

Donut Grilled Cheese

Glazed Donut grilled to perfection, with the awesome combination of the sweetness of the donut working in harmony with the savory melty stringy cheese (Beef or chicken)

quote:

Peanut Butter Kabob

Dinner and dessert at the same time! The Peanut Butter Cupboard stacks up this year’s newest deep fried satisfaction: the Cupboard Kabob.

Assembled from the tastiest items in their cupboard, behold: A deep fried peanut butter and strawberry jam sandwich sliced into four, served on a stick spaced between 3 deep fried Reese Peanut Butter cups. Yup…you’re gonna need some milk with that.

quote:

Jalapeño Poutine Mini Donut bowl

Tasty cheese curds, smothered in gravy, and topped with spicy jalapeño slices over a bowl of freshly made mini donuts.
(:barf::barf::barf:)

quote:

Cockroach Pizza

If last year’s scorpions were hard to stomach…get ready for this years pizza! This pizza is for the most daring of foodies. Add a little crunch to your pizza topping with a few seasoned insects – if you dare.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Hello, Pizza Hitler here,

This is awful, why would you do that?

Scorpion tastes horrible, if you're putting desert animals on a pizza, you can't go wrong with rattlesnake sausage.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Someone I follow on twitter just uploaded this:

Steamed potato with butter and squid shiokara. Probably delicious, but my first reaction on seeing it was "This belongs in that thread."

AnonSpore has a new favorite as of 19:55 on May 13, 2015

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

quote:

Shiokara (塩辛?) is a food in Japanese cuisine made from various marine animals that consists of small pieces of meat in a brown viscous paste of the animal's heavily salted, fermented viscera. The raw viscera are mixed with about 10% salt, 30% malted rice, packed in a closed container, and fermented for up to a month. Shiokara is sold in glass or plastic containers.

The flavor is similar in saltiness and fishiness to that of European cured anchovies, but with a different texture. One of the best-known chinmi ("rare tastes"), it is quite strong and is considered something of an acquired taste even for the native Japanese palate. One method of enjoying it is to consume the serving at one gulp and to follow it with a shot of straight whisky.

Pretty sure this is exactly the right place for it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I love shiokara :(

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I really want to try that now

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Okay folks, our hygiene situation. We all know what's up, now I want to hear some positive ideas.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Okay folks, our hygiene situation. We all know what's up, now I want to hear some positive ideas.

This is amusing to me because I was at a pizza place yesterday and the Sierra Mist dispenser gave me a live bee with my soda.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

theironjef posted:

This is amusing to me because I was at a pizza place yesterday and the Sierra Mist dispenser gave me a live bee with my soda.

You're lucky they didn't charge you for that extra topping.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

theironjef posted:

Why bother with HFCS when you can get honey in your drink straight from the source?

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

they just wanted to give you a friend

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

I thought it was hilarious, but I figured the next guy was gonna freak out, so I told the store manager, and he angrily handed me another cup while saying "Yeah, there's bees in there! Bees everywhere, you can't get bees out!"

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Colony collapse is a hoax, it turns out all the bees were just moving into pizza places

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

theironjef posted:

I thought it was hilarious, but I figured the next guy was gonna freak out, so I told the store manager, and he angrily handed me another cup while saying "Yeah, there's bees in there! Bees everywhere, you can't get bees out!"

lmfao

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
And in my hour of darkness
She is standing right in front of me
Speaking words of wisdom, let it bee

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

theironjef posted:

lol what?

Did they reboot Seinfeld or something, because this sounds like a plot

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

theironjef posted:

"Aww, nothing gets BEES out."

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

AnonSpore posted:

Steamed potato with butter and squid shiokara. Probably delicious, but my first reaction on seeing it was "This belongs in that thread."

I can't remember if I've had shiokara, but I probably have. It sounds similar to chanja, and chanja is loving awesome. There's no better snack to go with a beer.

It photographs way better than I thought it would, and this was the most objectionable depiction of it I could find in my limited sleuthing:

It's fermented cod innards. I didn't actually know what it was made of until today.

ErIog has a new favorite as of 02:55 on May 14, 2015

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

cash crab posted:

"Aww, nothing gets BEES out."

Did they ever wipe down the dispenser? Because that's how you get bees...

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

AnonSpore posted:

Steamed potato with butter and squid shiokara.

Shiokara led me to a really interesting set of wiki articles: "chinmi" or, literally translated, "rare tastes." Lots of interesting Japanese dishes that would make most natives squeamish. I would try some of these, because the description reminds me of other weird foods I have tried and loved. Others sound like machismo-fueled LA BEAST challenges....

quote:

Ikanankotsu - Cooked soft bones of squid
Hoya - Sea Pineapple
Funazushi - Authentic funazushi is made from a wild subspecies of goldfish called nigorobuna - Fresh funa are scaled and gutted through their gills keeping the body (and often the roe) of the fish intact. The fish are then packed with salt and aged for a year before being repacked annually in rice for up to four years. The resulting fermented dish may be served sliced thin or used as an ingredient in other dishes.
Shuto - It is made by pickling the entrails of Bonito (katsuo), fermenting them for more than six months, then chopping them up and sometimes adding a mixture of sake, honey, and mirin to them. There is also a Tuna (Maguro) type that has a milder character. The name of the dish means "sake thief" and is derived from the fact that it is a good side dish for sake.
Dorome - a local specialty of Kōchi Prefecture in Japan. In the Tosa dialect, dorome refers to sardine fry 2–3 cm in length. They are eaten fresh, dipped in a sauce made from minced garlic greens, vinegar and miso. It is often served at bars and pubs along with alcohol.
Karasumi - a food product made by salting mullet roe and drying it by the sunlight.

would not
would not
would
would
would
would

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Going back to picky eater syndrome, my former college roommate is a class two picky eater -- he wants to eat healthier but keeps eating pizza and hamburgers in every loving new place I would take him.

He's now living in Kochi and has posted pictures of the "great food" in Japan. It's KFC and McDonald's

chickie nugs for brekkie
May 17, 2010
Jeez if I lived in Japan I'd be fat as hell

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥
Man, The Japanese do some weird and kind of awesome sounding things with fish.

Makes me sad that I have dumb baby tastebuds and anything slightly fishy makes me feel ill and it'll probably take me forever to get used to fishy stuff :(

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Most of those sound allright, and the last two p-hop listed actually sound delicious. The sea pineapple is the only thing on that list that I'd be suspicious about trying, but even that is just because of the appearance, and hey, these fuckers are delicious when prepared correctly so who knows?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

For more info, this here is gyromitra esculenta (I think it's known as "brain mushroom" in English??), a mushroom that is deadly poisonous unless thoroughly cooked. It's eaten in soups and stews in some parts of Europe, at least.

wikipedia posted:

Although popular in some districts of the eastern Pyrenees, it is prohibited from sale to the public in Spain. It may be sold fresh in Finland, but it must be accompanied by warnings and instructions on correct preparation.

Although it is still commonly parboiled before preparation, recent evidence suggests that even this procedure may not make the fungus entirely safe, thus raising concerns of risk even when prepared properly.

Hempuli has a new favorite as of 13:43 on May 14, 2015

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Yeah, false morels are not great to eat and you can even get sick from cooking them in some cases. What you want to eat are regular morels and they look pretty weird I guess.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Yeah, false morels are not great to eat and you can even get sick from cooking them in some cases. What you want to eat are regular morels and they look pretty weird I guess.

But they're loving amazing. I miss being able to get them locally.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Yeah, there's a reason people get murdered over morel foraging grounds. That reason is that they are loving delicious and amazing in so many ways.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

And they're goddamn expensive

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Skinny King Pimp posted:

What you want to eat are regular morels and they look pretty weird I guess.

Every region has at least one "that weird food they eat there," and morels are one of ours. Goddrat they're good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Morels are really really rare around here, which probably contributes to us eating a lot of said "brain mushroom" in comparison to many other countries. I'd love to taste morels someday!

• Locked thread