Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain_duck
Dec 3, 2005

I swear nice bushes!
406 is out, its an Ino filler episode. Meh. Apparently Ino also had some tsunade training

There's a new OP and ED though, and their totally ready for the endgame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

So, after hearing about this show forever, it showed up on Netflix a few days ago and I've been watching it. Overall, I really enjoy it despite a few minor gripes.

I do have have one major gripe though, and that is Sakura. Does she ever loving become relevant? So far all she has done is stand there and be useless, and lust over Sasuke who alternates between being mildly annoyed at her to outright disdain like when he tells her she's even less useful than Naruto. Yet, she just keeps loving going. Please tell me she eventually gets over him or at least learns to fight or something.

I would like to also take a moment to gush over the last few episodes of the Land of Waves arc. Angry Naruto, Zabuza's redemption, everything was just some of the best loving anime I've seen. It was so dark and tense compared to the rest of the show I'm having a hard time getting back on track going forward. I really did think Naruto was going to kill Hako(?) and then brood about it for several hundred episodes, but everything just worked out so much better in every way.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

So, after hearing about this show forever, it showed up on Netflix a few days ago and I've been watching it. Overall, I really enjoy it despite a few minor gripes.

I do have have one major gripe though, and that is Sakura. Does she ever loving become relevant? So far all she has done is stand there and be useless, and lust over Sasuke who alternates between being mildly annoyed at her to outright disdain like when he tells her she's even less useful than Naruto. Yet, she just keeps loving going. Please tell me she eventually gets over him or at least learns to fight or something.

I would like to also take a moment to gush over the last few episodes of the Land of Waves arc. Angry Naruto, Zabuza's redemption, everything was just some of the best loving anime I've seen. It was so dark and tense compared to the rest of the show I'm having a hard time getting back on track going forward. I really did think Naruto was going to kill Hako(?) and then brood about it for several hundred episodes, but everything just worked out so much better in every way.

:allears:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

What?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Sorry, your post was basically everyone's opinions from 15 years ago so it was kind of nostalgic. As for your main gripes, no, Sakura won't change that much and it gets kind of sad after a while. On the upside, she does learn how to punch really hard for what little good that does her.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Allarion posted:

Sorry, your post was basically everyone's opinions from 15 years ago so it was kind of nostalgic. As for your main gripes, no, Sakura won't change that much and it gets kind of sad after a while. On the upside, she does learn how to punch really hard for what little good that does her.

It's already sad. BELIEVE IT!

It looks like the next arc is the examination to get promoted so we'll see how this works out. I watched Hunter x Hunter before this so the bar is kinda high.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I still think pre-time skip Naruto is still fairly solid (ignoring the filler). It's just after the time-skip where things start to degrade in quality. Chunin Exams tends to be where everyone's fondest memories of Naruto are, though I would still say the Hunter exams were still better. I got a friend into Hunter x Hunter by basically saying that it starts like the Chunin Exams, only better. Admittedly, Chunin exams do have some neat tests.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Once you hit the endless filler arcs, drop the show and never look back.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Watch to the end of the first series, then drop it.

I don't want to be a killjoy, and the early stuff is really enjoyable, but your soul will get crushed in Shippuden.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
At least Shippuden has better music than the first half.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I prefer the first half's music more actually. Thought it was livelier. Though I guess part 2's music being moodier fit better after the time skip.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 10:09 on May 5, 2015

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Torrannor posted:

At least Shippuden has better music than the first half.

The gently caress it does, Japanese string music, mixed with shredding guitars? Vs Shippuuden's mainly flute and sad musics? Kid Naruto's themes are far and away vastly superior and more upbeat. With better fights attached to them.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Watch to the end of the first series, then drop it.

I don't want to be a killjoy, and the early stuff is really enjoyable, but your soul will get crushed in Shippuden.
Actually I think if you can skip the filler eps in the beginning of Shippuden, it's worth watching all the way to the end of the Pain arc. You could imagine that's the end of the series and it kinda works as a great finale (it just doesn't wrap up the Sasuke storyline at that point, but who cares).

Pretty much everything after that arc has been garbage in my opinion.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

JazzFlight posted:

Actually I think if you can skip the filler eps in the beginning of Shippuden, it's worth watching all the way to the end of the Pain arc. You could imagine that's the end of the series and it kinda works as a great finale (it just doesn't wrap up the Sasuke storyline at that point, but who cares).

Pretty much everything after that arc has been garbage in my opinion.

The ninja war seemed to be interesting, although it was dragged out a bit. If only I could remember what was going on though. The past few months of chunin exams have made me forget the war entirely. Which probably means that once they finally finish this flashback, they're going to have to waste another few weeks recapping what was happening in the war.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Allarion posted:

On the upside, she does learn how to punch really hard for what little good that does her.

There are flashes of coolness, her killing a dude by caving his chest in during the Potato Man arc, but nothing worthwhile in the end.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I finished season one.

- Sakura still sucks
- Pervy Sage is the god drat best
- Gaara is up there too
- I really enjoyed the like eight episodes of fights in a row, seeing secondary characters be badass was awesome
- Rock Lee is literally Goku
- Naruto and Hinati young love is so precious awwwww. I hope she nuts up and tells him, he's way too dense to ever get it himself

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I finished season one.

- Sakura still sucks
- Pervy Sage is the god drat best
- Gaara is up there too
- I really enjoyed the like eight episodes of fights in a row, seeing secondary characters be badass was awesome
- Rock Lee is literally Goku
- Naruto and Hinati young love is so precious awwwww. I hope she nuts up and tells him, he's way too dense to ever get it himself

What do you define as the end of season one? Valley of the End?

Season One has the best fights. It's honestly great stuff.

BTW, if you play video games, starting from here you can just switch over to the games for a not-really-arguably better experience. Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 starts after Valley of the End, followed by Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 Full Burst, and 4 later this year.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Skychrono posted:

What do you define as the end of season one? Valley of the End?

Season One has the best fights. It's honestly great stuff.

BTW, if you play video games, starting from here you can just switch over to the games for a not-really-arguably better experience. Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 starts after Valley of the End, followed by Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3 Full Burst, and 4 later this year.

Netflix defines the end of season one as episode 52 I believe. The episode where Jiraiya shows up is the first of season two.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
e: nvm, I don't want to ruin this person's experience of the show with my bitter cynicism.

Triple Elation fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 7, 2015

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Holy poo poo a literal war is going to happen. This is rad as gently caress. Also, does Gaara have a nine tailed fox in him too?

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Holy poo poo a literal war is going to happen. This is rad as gently caress. Also, does Gaara have a nine tailed fox in him too?

If you're seriously asking Sort of

My advice (same as another poster here I believe) is to watch all of Naruto barring filler, seeing as Naruto itself is a fairly solid series. If you are still enjoying yourself watch Shippuden up until the end of the Pain arc (skip all the filler) and you will have watched a mostly decent anime with a very satisfying conclusion with only one major loose thread.

If you want to continue after that lower your expectations and you might have some fun.

But its weird now that the dust has settled (on the manga anyway) how well the pain arc works as an ending to Naruto Shippuden.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Yeah, I'm enjoying it so far. Besides Sakura my only real gripe is that fact that they are god drat ninjas who don't kill. I can see Naruto not wanting to kill people it's kind of his thing to be a good perosn, but god drat Sasuke and Sakura don't kill people either, and anytime any of them see people die/talk about people dying even people who aren't their allies they get all pussified about it. Christ. YOU'RE NINJAS STAB A MOTHER FUCKER ALREADY

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Yeah, I'm enjoying it so far. Besides Sakura my only real gripe is that fact that they are god drat ninjas who don't kill. I can see Naruto not wanting to kill people it's kind of his thing to be a good perosn, but god drat Sasuke and Sakura don't kill people either, and anytime any of them see people die/talk about people dying even people who aren't their allies they get all pussified about it. Christ. YOU'RE NINJAS STAB A MOTHER FUCKER ALREADY

Generally the idea, in the anime at least, is that there are more adventures you don't see, and the filler and movies are those gaps. There's killing in the movies at least.

no go on Quiznos
May 16, 2007

Pork Pro

Arbite posted:

the Potato Man arc

wat? :confused:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Holy loving....

Gaara vs Naruto

:fap:

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Holy loving....

Gaara vs Naruto

:unsmith: It's genuinely heartwarming to read your reactions and it ALMOST makes me want to rewatch the series. I'm not even a Naruto hater (everything is fine except for the filler, imo) It's just a very long series. Longer than even Dragon Ball, I believe.

And yes, Jiraiya/Ero-sennin/Pervy sage is the best goddamn character and that will not change.

Are you watching the series in English or Japanese with subtitles?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Reinanigans posted:

:unsmith: It's genuinely heartwarming to read your reactions and it ALMOST makes me want to rewatch the series. I'm not even a Naruto hater (everything is fine except for the filler, imo) It's just a very long series. Longer than even Dragon Ball, I believe.

And yes, Jiraiya/Ero-sennin/Pervy sage is the best goddamn character and that will not change.

Are you watching the series in English or Japanese with subtitles?

English. I just finished like 4 series in a row that were subtitled only, my eyes need a break.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Reinanigans posted:

Naruto (& Shippuden) would make for an excellent series if they revised it down to between 50-100 episodes at the very max. Then it would be worth sharing with people.

At the beginning of the series, when I was still excited about the show and would marathon episodes, I felt it gave off a little "Harry Potter/X-Men with Ninjas" vibe. You had your Voldemort/snake villain and your Dumbledore and each clan had its own special powers like they were mutants or whatever. It was fun and had some good tense moments.

Then they felt the need to stretch it out past its breaking point with filler and the whole thing lost momentum. You can't even "skip" the filler in the later Shippuden episodes because they pepper in about 2-3 minutes of canon material within each show (which is then largely recaps and filler otherwise).

Such a shame... at least the Ninja Storm games by CyberConnect2 are great.

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Holy loving....

Gaara vs Naruto

Pretty sure Gaara remains the scariest villain

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

Naruto (& Shippuden) would make for an excellent series if they revised it down to between 50-100 episodes at the very max. Then it would be worth sharing with people.

At the beginning of the series, when I was still excited about the show and would marathon episodes, I felt it gave off a little "Harry Potter/X-Men with Ninjas" vibe. You had your Voldemort/snake villain and your Dumbledore and each clan had its own special powers like they were mutants or whatever. It was fun and had some good tense moments.

Then they felt the need to stretch it out past its breaking point with filler and the whole thing lost momentum. You can't even "skip" the filler in the later Shippuden episodes because they pepper in about 2-3 minutes of canon material within each show (which is then largely recaps and filler otherwise).

Such a shame... at least the Ninja Storm games by CyberConnect2 are great.

Someone on Reddit made a "Naruto Kai." Haven't tried them yet, but they have a lot of praise.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

You remember, the filler arc with the fake beast and the villain who really loves potatoes. I think there were zombies, too. But yeah, she caves some dude's chest in. It was great.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

- Tsunade is a fun character.
- I like that while she's super powerful she has been shown to have weakness.
- Of course THE POWER OF NARUTOS WILL MADE HER LOVE HIM!
- Naruto continues to become more badass, obviously.
- Pervy Sage still owns.
- 3 way giant summoned things fight owned
- Itatchi is loving terrifying way more than Gaara
- Holy poo poo Kabuto is a god drat beast

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I kind of dread what will happen once you start sinking your teeth into Shippuuden. Or hell, the Seventy-Seven Saturdays Of Filler.

Here's hoping you stay positive.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Starting season three now.

- Idate was an awful character
- The whole race thing was dumb
- Sasuke is becoming a terrible character
- Holy poo poo he tried to kill Naruto for real
- Lmao Naruto killed the water tower harder than Sasuke
- Kaskishi is amazing, is there a movie or spin off dedicated to him?
- SOUND NINJA 4. More like, 4 goons for Naruto to Ragensan off a cliff.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Starting season three now.

- Idate was an awful character
- The whole race thing was dumb

It's a filler arc. Hence Sasuke ending up injured again at the end, so he could be in the hospital for the beginning of the Sasuke Retrieval arc.

quote:

- Sasuke is becoming a terrible character

I'm interested in seeing what you think about Sasuke later on...

quote:

- Kaskishi is amazing, is there a movie or spin off dedicated to him?

There's a two-episode canon arc later on that goes into his backstory, as well as a filler arc much later that elaborates on his backstory some more.

quote:

- SOUND NINJA 4. More like, 4 goons for Naruto to Ragensan off a cliff.

At least wait until they go down before you laugh at them.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I think one of my favorite things about Naruto is how each ninja is truly unique. I mean sure they all throw knives well and punch things, but the ninja skills they have are largely unique similar to Hunter X Hunter. It's awesome seeing what they come up with to fit each character.

I've been busy as gently caress so I haven't been binge watching but I've gotten a few more down.

- I like the secondary characters coming to the front for getting back Sasuke
- Sakuras last speech to Sasuke was beyond pathetic. I actually barely made it through the scene
- I really hope Goku aka Rock Lee becomes a splendid ninja
- DID THEY ACTUALLY KILL CHOJI HOLY loving poo poo WHAT THE FUCKKKKK

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Holy gently caress Neji too!

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Now that you mention it, that Choji fight was really cool when I saw it.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Wow, poo poo is getting intense. I don't even like Kimba but I was almost crying during his flashbacks because it reminded me of my dog. If they had offed Akamaru I would never watch the show again.

-AKAMARU
- GOKU AKA ROCK LEE AKA BRUCE LEE IS BACK TO SAVE THE DAY
- Sasuke comes out of his pokeball and laughs like Dr. Evil before bolting
- Naruto going up against bone guy and being default fox chakra was pretty cool, nice it still works on anger and not just as a last resort
- Shikamaru is growing on me, I have a feeling he's going to have some serious PTSD after he finds out about the other guys
- Seriously how are all of these nerds not just magiced to joni or whatever the gently caress they are all god drat beast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ireland Sucks
May 16, 2004

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Oh yeah Naruto is like a proper Game of Thrones with how bold it is about killing off its staple recurring characters

• Locked thread