Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

CPL593H posted:

Also, why do reissues of Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd even need to exist?

so the handful of record stores that are still in existence can continue to pay the bills by selling new pressings I'd imagine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Also, why do reissues of Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd even need to exist?

My dad won't give me his

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Even the guy a couple pages ago who bragged about his Herb Alpert scores? I don't think he's part of the problem

I'm up to 10 Herb Alpert albums and I haven't even spent $15 yet lol.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Boinks posted:

I'm up to 10 Herb Alpert albums and I haven't even spent $15 yet lol.

That's one way to spend $15.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

BigFactory posted:

That's one way to spend $15.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

fac53
Oct 22, 2002
At last! A dead star!
I can't find any real news about this, but it looks like the first two Orbital albums are being reissued on 180g vinyl and come out on June 9th.

Orbital 1 (Green Album) – http://amzn.com/B00VN7OFGO
Orbital 2 (Brown Album) – http://amzn.com/B00VN7OH1W

Hopefully this is the just the first wave of reissues, so I don't have to drop stupid money for the original 3xLP release of "In Sides" on Discogs.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Boinks posted:

oh now i get this thread

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy

Boinks posted:

I said that exact line today as I was digging through 2 boxes of records that a guy was going to throw out. Got a nice mix of The Who, CCR, Stones, Neil Diamond....you know, the classics!

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Are you 14

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Hey man there's no age limit on Creedence

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

mia2000 posted:

I said that exact line today as I was digging through 2 boxes of records that a guy was going to throw out. Got a nice mix of The Who, CCR, Stones, Neil Diamond....you know, the classics!

The Who and The Rolling Stones are two of my favorite bands. Which albums did you get?

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy
Tommy (The Who) and Flowers (Stones)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

mia2000 posted:

Tommy (The Who) and Flowers (Stones)

so how much of the 2 boxes of records were absolute garbage? The Neil Diamond counts.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax
So here's a fun bit of record collecting schadenfreude. At noon my phone rings and wakes me up, it's my mother, she's in Pittsburgh visiting family and is at Jerrys, the giganto famous record store asking if there's anything I'm looking for.

I'm half asleep and honestly the stuff that I super duper want at this point is either foreign as gently caress or just priced beyond what I'm willing to pay. So I'm pretty much clueless how to answer because mom isn't made of money and if I was willing to pay the prices myself I'd already own most of it.

On a long shot I tried for a copy of Ben Folds Five Unauthorized Biography of Rehinhold Messner, it's about $100 these days but if one was there I'd cover most of the cost back to her, and a few years back I gave her a cd copy of it and she really liked it so she'll likely not get it confused with something else, no go on that. Not willing to attempt to describe the weird Japanese stuff that even I'm not sure how to pronounce and expect my mother to be able to relate those titles to Jerry I was like ehh, Zapp records are cheap, I don't have any of those, mom can buy some of that and I won't feel bad about how much she spent.

Point being, I had second hand access to a massive vault of records but due to my mother being an old lady that mixes things up as old ladies do and my not wanting her to buy really expensive rare stuff I know she can't really afford, I rattle off a few super common funk and classic rock records so she can feel good about me liking stuff she liked.

Cyberball 2072 fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 12, 2015

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Why was your mom record shopping for you? Does she do that a lot?

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

BigFactory posted:

Why was your mom record shopping for you? Does she do that a lot?

I know it's hard to accept but some parents love their children and want to buy them something they know the child would love and or really needs rather than a gift card to cheesecake factory.

c0ldfuse fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 12, 2015

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Just started popping up on New on Vinyl's pre-orders.
http://www.newonvinyl.com/en/new-releases-pre-orders/page2.html

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

c0ldfuse posted:

I know it's hard to accept but some parents love their children and want to buy them something they know the child would love and or really needs rather than a gift card to cheesecake factory.

Does your mom go record shopping for you too?
Is this a thing like moms coming over to do their adult children's laundry?

And nobody really needs a $100 Ben folds five record. It's not a staple, sorry.

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 12, 2015

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
My dad and I record shop for each other because we're in different cities with different stores and we both like music, I don't get what's weird about this.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Yeah it's not that strange. Think I mentioned this but my dad would always bring back records from business trips. He got me Napalm Death - From Enslavement to Obliteration when that came out, and when jungle started he was searching out dj mix tapes on the street in London. It's nice to have cool parents.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

BigFactory posted:

Does your mom go record shopping for you too?
Is this a thing like moms coming over to do their adult children's laundry?

My mother has bought me probably about a quarter of the work shirts I wear because she's retired and savvy af at Kohls. I work in manufacturing management and end up trashing a shirt month with grease and plastic. If you shop the discounts at Kohls plus their expiration dated Kohls dollars you can get $35-50 shirts for $10-20. I don't have the time do figure that poo poo out and since she's there anyway she buys them and I just give her cash.

If she was someplace she thought looked cool and knew I loved records it's entirely possible I'd get the same call.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Snowy posted:

.. and when jungle started he was searching out dj mix tapes on the street in London. It's nice to have cool parents.

I miss seeing these guys when I used to walk through Camden when I was a kid. Now all that's there is the same bullshit Breaking Bad t-shirts you can get anyway, lame.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

BigFactory posted:

Is that really worth that much? I remember there was a copy of Reinhold Messner sitting around for a while at my local record store a few years ago for $15.

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -