Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Well there's that but also the part where a natural disaster made him homeless for 8 months and did $37,000 damage to his house that insurance refused to pay for (ps homeowners insurance is the worst)

Yeah, that's totally unfortunate but his predicament wouldn't be nearly as bad if he had lived a bit more within his means before the poo poo went down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Aliquid posted:

My dad's a real-estate agent and when doing leases, he'll have people drop $450 non-refundable deposits per pet on nine-month terms. Maybe one a month or so, he'll always point them out to me and we'll roll our eyes.

That's what I charge tenants, but it's $50/month pet rent instead, because that sounds cheaper and I just get to keep it towards replacing my eventually-going-to-be-ruined carpets and floors rather than dealing with a deposit.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Barry posted:

Yeah, that's totally unfortunate but his predicament wouldn't be nearly as bad if he had lived a bit more within his means before the poo poo went down.

Yeah, it also wouldn't be nearly as bad if he still had those thousands in homeowners premiums that the company took from him, and then found a way to deny his claims when he needed the insurance

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Pets are Bad With Money in a total beep-boop-NOT-OPTIMAL-MONEY-USE-brzzz way. Mr Money Mustache often tells people to cut their budgets by abandoning their "voluntary ownership of large non-work animals".

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

That's why my dog carries a series of bags and pouches attached to him, as well as a flat surface across his back. Pretty convenient if I need something carried around, or when I'm cooking.

Edit: looking into a Dogwheel to hook up to a generator and draw down my pull from the grid. Anyone got a favorite brand?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Pets are Bad With Money in a total beep-boop-NOT-OPTIMAL-MONEY-USE-brzzz way. Mr Money Mustache often tells people to cut their budgets by abandoning their "voluntary ownership of large non-work animals".

And when your work animals start costing you more than they're worth, you invite all your friends over for a BBQ.

"Hmmm...Sussex Spaniel-burgers."

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Krispy Kareem posted:

And when your work animals start costing you more than they're worth, you invite all your friends over for a BBQ.

"Hmmm...Sussex Spaniel-burgers."

I always wanted a Sussex Spaniel hat. If you don't tell your dogs daily you want to make winter wear out of them there is something wrong with you.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 12, 2015

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Instead of fancy expensive dogs, how about fancy expensive snakes? http://www.bobclark.com/available/reticulated_pythons/

$8,500 but loving rad at least

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Duck and Cover posted:

I always wanted a Sussex Spaniel hat. If you don't tell your dogs daily you want to make winter wear out of them there is something wrong with you.

Don't forget Cats!!!

Mine do not go a day without hearing how they will be used for guitar strings and warm mittens this winter. And our largest fatte catte is threatened every day that if he does not follow our rules, (including getting off the bed and catching bugs etc) he will be our next holiday dinner (since he is about the size of a good sized goose and has enough fat on him to render into a ton of things) AND we will use his hide for a nice set of slippers for both of us, AND use his whiskers for replacing all the broom bristles he destroys.

He doesn't seem too concerned, so soon I think we will have to make an example of him.

As for pulling their own weight...we hung a framed picture of Col Sanders in the hen house above the nesting boxes as an "incentive". We are considering painting the nesting boxes to look like chicken buckets but my husband thinks that might be slightly too much. I , however, think that the girls need to know their place. No eggs? Winner winner chicken dinner for me :)

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

Barry posted:

Or if he had flood insurance.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
That guy is dumb with money but the insurance companies are the true villans of that story. They hosed so many people out of legitimate claims even those with flood coverage. I want to get into that business (insurance). Profit off of peoples paying you for risk mitigation but when you've arbitrarily decided it's too expensive to cover the risk you profited off of in the past tell your customer to gently caress themselves with the full backing of the us court system. Selling insurance is good with money

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I gave this reddit post as an example to a friend on why I loved this thread only to realize that it hadn't actually been posted in this thread (?). So here's:

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/35p9p3/26m_i_have_1_year_or_i_lose_the_house_bipolar/

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Powerlurker posted:

Or if he had flood insurance.

Yeah, that's what I assumed as well, but the post was a bit obtuse and vague in that regard.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Which is worse with money: buying a brand new sports car with a good resale value OR buying a used sports car that some boyracer could have worn out at the track?

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Here is my Financial plan for the next 12 months. Work like mad at my very low pay "monkey" job ( im in norway so even minimum wage is somewhat liveable) save as much as possible by living at home with my parents and basically live like a pauper. Use that money and the money i already got saved up to make a massive downpayment on my student loans. That will reduce them by about 2/3s. Then i will go back to chool and get deeper in debt if i am still unable to get a job relevant to my education. Is this a good plan or should i keep the money i save and just pay back the normal amount every month?

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Merrill Grinch posted:

I gave this reddit post as an example to a friend on why I loved this thread only to realize that it hadn't actually been posted in this thread (?). So here's:

http://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/35p9p3/26m_i_have_1_year_or_i_lose_the_house_bipolar/

From personal experience-- dumping bad with money relatives before they do any damage makes a person the best with money hall of fame.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

The Mandingo posted:

Which is worse with money: buying a brand new sports car with a good resale value OR buying a used sports car that some boyracer could have worn out at the track?

Probably depends on if you're handy fixing your own cars or not, which should be a prerequisite for buying a sports car.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Merrill Grinch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYqPs0LInls

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Baudolino posted:

Here is my Financial plan for the next 12 months. Work like mad at my very low pay "monkey" job ( im in norway so even minimum wage is somewhat liveable) save as much as possible by living at home with my parents and basically live like a pauper. Use that money and the money i already got saved up to make a massive downpayment on my student loans. That will reduce them by about 2/3s. Then i will go back to chool and get deeper in debt if i am still unable to get a job relevant to my education. Is this a good plan or should i keep the money i save and just pay back the normal amount every month?

Make your own thread, tia

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

The Mandingo posted:

That's a false equivalency, because there are not only sports cars that have been abused. You can keep looking for a good example of one that seems like it was owned by someone who took care of it. They do exist. I bought my Miata from a 50-something lady who babied it for a fair price.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Baudolino posted:

Use that money and the money i already got saved up to make a massive downpayment on my student loans. That will reduce them by about 2/3s.

Isn't the student loan interest rate only like 1% or something?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Per posted:

Isn't the student loan interest rate only like 1% or something?

hahahahaha no.

3-6% generally. (if we're in the US)

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Baudolino said he is in Norway. I assume they have similar rates to Denmark.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Senf posted:

Like how we all spent $10 on a forums account to bitch about whatever when we could be doing it on a street corner for free.

Signing up for the SA forums post-2001 is bad with money.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

overdesigned posted:

hahahahaha no.

3-6% generally. (if we're in the US)

Haha, pre-Sequester in 2011. It should be 6-9% currently, I think.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
My last loans in 2010 were in the 6% range. gently caress the us education system.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Nocheez posted:

That's a false equivalency, because there are not only sports cars that have been abused. You can keep looking for a good example of one that seems like it was owned by someone who took care of it. They do exist. I bought my Miata from a 50-something lady who babied it for a fair price.

Will I be able to find a used Subaru WRX owned by a 50-something lady?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Sure, but you're better off buying a real sports car, not a temperamental awd econobox.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I suggested to my dad to use the insurance payoff from his totaled car to buy something within a reasonable budget. When I suggested he keep his budget around $15k (payoff was $11k) he laughed in my face and told me that you don't work your whole life to drive something cheap. He's probably going to end up financing a $33k used late model Acura instead. :negative:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Not a Children posted:

I suggested to my dad to use the insurance payoff from his totaled car to buy something within a reasonable budget. When I suggested he keep his budget around $15k (payoff was $11k) he laughed in my face and told me that you don't work your whole life to drive something cheap. He's probably going to end up financing a $33k used late model Acura instead. :negative:

Just because he's spending a lot of money on something doesn't necessarily mean he's bad with money.

My uncle is really good with money, but he also really likes cars. He worked all his life and saved a whole bunch, and now he's choosing to spend it on them. I may not agree with his choices but honestly, what else is he gonna do with his money?

I don't know about your dad's situation, but this thread often equates not being frugal with being bad with money. Personally, I believe it's OK to indulge every now and then, and as long as the person is living within their means and hitting their financial goals, nothing wrong with having a few expensive hobbies.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

I guess it's just frustrating hearing him complain about how he's going to be working into his late 60s to retire, while he does stuff like this all the time. He's not in dire straits or anything, but between stuff like this, being an audiophile, and eating out most of the time it's hard not to roll my eyes at him when he complains about money.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Not a Children posted:

being an audiophile

This is bad with money.

Please (don't) tell me he buys $5000 wooden knobs for the warmth.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

No, but he did just buy $1300 silver-core cables.

But they retail for $5000, and he traded them for his $1000 cables, so they only cost him $300, and he's saving like $3000! :v:

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011
The only way to be good with money as an audiophile is to already be a millionaire or to be the guy that sells and installs that millionaires new system and then gets to keep the 2 year old discard.

Or know that guy, I guess. What I'm saying is that I love my arcam receiver but paying real human dollars for that poo poo is cray.

Oh, and yeah my speaker wire has silver in it apparently? It was remnant wire from that same millionaires house. Doesn't sound much different to me.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Here's a good example of bad with money:
When I was at my credit union yesterday talking to a banker, I overheard another banker's conversation with a customer over the phone. Basically it sounds like the applicant applied for a credit card and they were denied. The reason about blew my mind: they had a 70% debt-to-income ratio. I'm pretty sure debt:income is generally calculated with gross income. 70% of their gross income went to debt. :aaaaa:

Amazing. And they were applying for another credit card. Like if it's not all consumer debt then I feel bad for them, but bankruptcy would seem like the correct choice at that point.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Disco Salmon posted:

As for pulling their own weight...we hung a framed picture of Col Sanders in the hen house above the nesting boxes as an "incentive". We are considering painting the nesting boxes to look like chicken buckets but my husband thinks that might be slightly too much. I , however, think that the girls need to know their place. No eggs? Winner winner chicken dinner for me :)

I've half joked that I only have pets because, in the event of a huge disaster, I'd have a few extra meals before I had to go out looting.

Or at the very least they would have to get a lot less picky about their food.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Knyteguy posted:

Here's a good example of bad with money:
When I was at my credit union yesterday talking to a banker, I overheard another banker's conversation with a customer over the phone. Basically it sounds like the applicant applied for a credit card and they were denied. The reason about blew my mind: they had a 70% debt-to-income ratio. I'm pretty sure debt:income is generally calculated with gross income. 70% of their gross income went to debt. :aaaaa:

Amazing. And they were applying for another credit card. Like if it's not all consumer debt then I feel bad for them, but bankruptcy would seem like the correct choice at that point.

This happens a lot more than you think. Scares the hell out of me, and is a daily reminder to pay off my student loans as fast as I can.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Bad with money: Canada edition.

quote:

Vicky and Sandhya Bhardwaj are expecting their first child in August. Once their son arrives, the couple will be living dangerously close to their financial edge.

Mr. Bhardwaj’s entire paycheque – he earns $73,000 a year – goes toward the mortgage payments on the four-bedroom, five-and-a-half bathroom Mississauga house they bought in 2011 for $747,000. Mrs. Bhardwaj’s salary of $55,000 covers everything else, from utilities, groceries, and gas and insurance on their cars, to the interest on their two lines of credit and credit card.

“I’ve made a spreadsheet of our expenses … and right now, we are $1,000 a month short for what we will need to live on, once my wife is on mat leave,” says Mr. Bhardwaj, 39.

quote:

When it came time to buy, there was a slight problem in that the Bhardwajs could not afford their dream home. Because they had borrowed money for a second car and incurred other debts, the bank would only give them a mortgage of $650,000, despite their already having purchased their place for roughly $100,000 more.

In order to meet the bank’s requirements, the Bhardwajs borrowed $80,000 from family to pay down debt (which they have since repaid) and added her father – who has a pension – to the house title. If that doesn’t sound stressful enough, they also had yet to sell their starter townhouse. “We were really nervous,” Mr. Bhardwaj said. He mapped out their expenses, crunched the numbers and they decided they could afford it, barely. “We knew that with the income we had we would basically just survive.”

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

But they are living in their dream house! :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
This poor guy owes $32k on a car worth barely $18k on a good day and he can no longer afford the payments:

quote:

How do I get rid of my car? (self.personalfinance)

24 points submitted 2 hours ago * by Spectator404

I am financing a 2012 Ford Fusion AWD SEL SPORT model - BLACK

I can no longer afford this vehicle as I am in a completely different financial situation from when I bought the car.

EDIT: The payout amount on the bloody thing is $36109.82

EDIT: The loan isn't just for this car, it is also for unsecured debt (previous car).

Bi-weekly payments of $317.13
Insurance - $158 Monthly
Gas $150 Monthly

What are my options? What would you recommend?

I mistakenly posted this here and not in personalfinancecanada my apologies.

• Locked thread