Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
I got a very Wout Weylandts when I forst saw that and how he was ragdollish when that dude literally scooped him up off the ground. Glad hes not dead.

Gibbo posted:

Goddamn. I thought the Giro was supposed to be the safer of the GTs

lol the giro was the one where they were gonna send them down a soft edged dirt road mountain decent with alpine ski style catch fencing because there were no barriers between the riders and 1 million foot drop off a cliff.
EDIT: oh in regards to idiots, well then itd be the vuelta because theres only ever 2 guys and a dog in the middle of a semi-desert that watch that GT.

The giro is and always has been the maddest of them all. Its also why it rules.

gently caress idiots on fixies though. Its always an idiot on a fixie that causes problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
That guy Robin Carpenter who was in the break all day at tour of California yelled at (forum poster) OzFox for not wearing a helmet when he and I were out riding a few months ago.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

Why was he not wearing a helmet?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pocket posted:

Why was he not wearing a helmet?

Some people like to advertise that they're a massive bellend.

deetron69
Jan 18, 2005
I was immensely pleased that his break was caught, the hater got what he deserved. Also I was going helmetless because it was a big climb and I was looking cool.

e: do we have a velogames fantasy Giro going?

deetron69 fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 12, 2015

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Just started watching the Giro but Zakarin and Hesjedal out of it already?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Paddyb posted:

Just started watching the Giro but Zakarin and Hesjedal out of it already?

I heard todays stage was good and im hoping Eurosport has highlights later.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
It was good. People were dropping like flys when on the last climb. I think Uran lost big time too.

Formolo looks about 13 years old.

paddyboat fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 12, 2015

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Uran Uran Uran Uran Uran sinking like an anchor on a climb is unfortunately not a big surprise IMO.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This was a very good stage.

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
That podium ceremony is a gold mine for good pics.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Peter Sagan seems like he'd be a pretty cool guy to hang out with.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Odds on Astana riding 40 of the last 50km's of this stage hell for leather again?

Pocket
Aug 27, 2006

IMO Sagan should spend more time winning than trying to ruin others' celebrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Proper GC contender fight going on.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009
I hope Porte, Aru and Contador go at it like that on every climb in this Giro.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

The Tour is gonna be some boring stuff compared to this.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Xabi posted:

The Tour is gonna be some boring stuff compared to this.

It always is in comparison. The Tour is always the worst GT. Although to be fair, the last 2 days excitement have come from everyone in the Astana team being on rocket fuel.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
Aru's alright but basically I have an asterisk against the Astana team. Can't really barrack for Porte while he's a Skybot, which leaves Contador.

Pocket posted:

IMO Sagan should spend more time winning than trying to ruin others' celebrations.
He's just making sure he's got his hands where everyone can see them.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I like Aru but you really cant celebrate that Astana team. Not when they're sat 5 deep on the front just ruining the peloton for 40km. Part of the reason the Tour was so boring was their ability to just ride Nibali away from everyone.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
You gotta love the strategy. Get embroiled in a doping scandal, keep your WorldTour license despite deserving to lose it, go to the Giro and ride as if you're all doping and laugh because the UCI isn't going to do anything about it.

At this point teams either microdose EPO and other boosters or just quit trying. Those appear to be the only reasonable choices.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm kind of surprised the IOC aren't leaning on the UCI and threatening to pull cycling. They're being pretty vocal about doping right now.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
That would be fairly absurd, cycling is probably the cleanest sport at the Olympics.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but it's being public. Can't shovel things under the rug when they're having public piss-offs.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Xir posted:

You gotta love the strategy. Get embroiled in a doping scandal, keep your WorldTour license despite deserving to lose it, go to the Giro and ride as if you're all doping and laugh because the UCI isn't going to do anything about it.

At this point teams either microdose EPO and other boosters or just quit trying. Those appear to be the only reasonable choices.

It is quite funny isn't it. I kind of admire that they're not even trying to appear normal.

peanut- posted:

That would be fairly absurd, cycling is probably the cleanest sport at the Olympics.

The problem with cycling is that by attempting to clean itself up it appears the dirtiest sport. The IOC need to keep their traps quiet considering the athletics stuff coming out.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Contadors on the deck. Looks alright after a big old crash in the last km.

Dirtanium
Aug 3, 2007
Holy poo poo, that break was horrid. What caused the crash?
Looks like the barrier.
I just don't understand why cycling barriers have such large feet.

Dirtanium fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 14, 2015

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Dirtanium posted:

Holy poo poo, that break was horrid. What caused the crash?
Looks like the barrier.

Replay has shown it was someone in the crowd sticking an arm out. loving retards again.

Edit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWFc_RjOiaA

Don't watch that unless you want to see a flappy arm, but it shows the camera that takes him out.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 14, 2015

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...

serious gaylord posted:

Contadors on the deck. Looks alright after a big old crash in the last km.

Contador was taken off for x-rays. Couldn't put on the pink jersey and his left arm just hung loosely at his side.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

serious gaylord posted:

I like Aru but you really cant celebrate that Astana team. Not when they're sat 5 deep on the front just ruining the peloton for 40km. Part of the reason the Tour was so boring was their ability to just ride Nibali away from everyone.

You can blame Sky for this, this is what they did with Wiggins. They rekindled the doping arms race and now other teams are better.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Xir posted:

Contador was taken off for x-rays. Couldn't put on the pink jersey and his left arm just hung loosely at his side.

Really? He looked pretty sprightly getting back on his bike.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
I was surprised as well.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2015/05/news/contador-crashes-in-giros-stage-6-sprint-injures-left-shoulder_370142

Check out the last two pictures on this page:

http://www.steephill.tv/2015/giro-d-italia/photos/stage-06/

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
They don't think anythings broken, the x-rays are a precaution.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Apparently dislocated it, nothing broken and he's hoping to get back on the bike tomorrow.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

I'll be fuming if he's out.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Apparently dislocated it, nothing broken and he's hoping to get back on the bike tomorrow.

250km stage with a destabilised shoulder joint sounds like a party.

Jamsque
May 31, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

250km stage with a destabilised shoulder joint sounds like a party.

If he can't stand up on the pedals then he is in real trouble

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I don't see why people ride that close to the barriers anymore. It's too crazy out there.

Dickheads still shouldn't be hanging their telephoto lenses out onto the course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Jamsque posted:

If he can't stand up on the pedals then he is in real trouble

To be fair, aside from the length of the stage he shouldn't have any real problems since its pretty flat.

I imagine Astana will attack until he climbs off though.