Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Vorenus posted:

Almost went down because of fryers today. Sometime between blanching things and the start of the rush, all three pilot lights decided to go out. I spent the rest of the day obsessively-compulsively checking the buggers. I also have to work the next two weekends, and I'm happy because this is the first time I've been required to since early February and I recognize how incredibly rare that is in foodservice. I started with a "no Sundays" agreement and due to scheduling/training issues with other people they have been literally unable to schedule me Saturdays.

I'd love to know what those of you in supervisory positions think warrants a writeup/termination on this list:

-Repeatedly requesting demanding blocks of 3-4 days off, including literally every weekend.
-Repeatedly setting a dumpster on fire due to inability to understand heat/flammability safety.
-Telling a guest "Sorry we're out, you should have come in before the last 20 people did"
-Leaving >75% of closing duties unfinished as a manager, including clocking people out to make them stop and leave before their duties are done
-Clocking out mid-shift despite being told you're not approved to leave.
-Intentionally interfering with coworkers' productivity (e.g. opening an oven you have no business being near while someone is baking things, removing partially-cooked foodand leaving it to sit at room temp)
-As a key hourly, giving your keys to a non-approved hourly employee so they can go in and open while you sleep an extra hour. For six months.
-Consistently addressing superiors the way a strict manager would address a wayward employee

(Most of these are different people)

The last one there I would possibly put up with enough to bitch them out, the rest doesn't even merit asking just a GTFO.

the great deceiver posted:

Oh yeah for sure i'm getting real experience while i go to school. I already have a BA and I used to be a social worker so I'm used to working grueling hours where it's more of a lifestyle than a 9-5 job.

Why in the name of little green apples are you trying to get into literally the worst industry in the world, pay/benefits/quality of life wise, with a BA in something else?

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

Liquid Communism posted:

Why in the name of little green apples are you trying to get into literally the worst industry in the world, pay/benefits/quality of life wise, with a BA in something else?

History degree lol

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

History degree lol

My buddy got his history degree, quit the industry and teaches at a Highschool now and he is happier than he has ever been.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Errant Gin Monks posted:

My buddy got his history degree, quit the industry and teaches at a Highschool now and he is happier than he has ever been.

I'm also an ex-con lol

Edit: to be more specific I have always wanted to work in the industry and planned on going to culinary school right after college but i ended up becoming a social worker out of convenience, got addicted to drugs and went to prison for a few years. While I was inside I got a job in the bakery, worked my way up to head baker and realizes that once I got out I had a chance to actually do the thing I really wanted to do all along not to sound too corny. I've never desired a 9-5 type of life anyway.

the great deceiver fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 13, 2015

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Eh even with that you can almost certainly find something better paying. Even if you find something on a similar payscale it'll definitely be healthier on your body in the long term. On the other hand, I'm seriously considering ignoring my STEM degree endeavors to focus on this full time because it's realistically the closest I'll ever get to being a pro wrestler, so I say go for it, dude. I don't exactly know if this poo poo is fun or not but I figure someone has to do all of this garbage, right?

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
are you clean now, and do you enjoy it? If the answer is yes, don't do this. On the other hand, you're gonna loving do it anyways, so I guess just keep an open mind, try to keep your dependencies under some form of control and make yourself useful in some small way. Any way counts. i can't cook for poo poo, but I've worked in 3 professional fine dining kitchens and have carved out a niche by being a human punchline. find your niche and work it, enjoy it, learn to hate it, get the gently caress out before you need surgery

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Simoom posted:

are you clean now, and do you enjoy it? If the answer is yes, don't do this. On the other hand, you're gonna loving do it anyways, so I guess just keep an open mind, try to keep your dependencies under some form of control and make yourself useful in some small way. Any way counts. i can't cook for poo poo, but I've worked in 3 professional fine dining kitchens and have carved out a niche by being a human punchline. find your niche and work it, enjoy it, learn to hate it, get the gently caress out before you need surgery

By clean do you mean totally sober AA true-believer? No, not at all. I still party but I just don't go back to my drug of choice which was heroin. I know full well what the industry is like and I'm prepared for the challenges it presents. I turned down heroin in prison, I'm sure I can do it in the workplace. I do have my heart set on working in the culinary field. Even on my worst days I still enjoy showing up to the kitchen or the classroom (maybe not tomorrow I have my practical final). Before I went to jail I worked as a social worker because I didn't want to work in an office and I wanted to do a job that would make others happy. As a social worker I accepted the fact that I was gonna work long hours for no pay and have my work life bleed over into my personal life. I've heard all the horror stories of being in this industry but I know it really is where I want to be.

In other news I have my practical skills final in my food theory class tomorrow night and one of the components is the chef making you draw a card with a random dish on it and preparing it in 30 or so minutes. He hinted there's gonna be poo poo like pilafs, risottos and sauces. I hope I don't get hollandaise; even though it's not that hard it still intimidates me for some dumb reason.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Hollandaise ain't hard at all and I hope you get it so that you can prove to yourself that it is not anything to be afraid of!

e: you dont know what the industry is like. i worked in diners for like six years and thought i knew what the industry was like, then got into a fancy high end fine dining place and wow. just keep an open mind and stay healthy dude!

Simoom fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 13, 2015

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Let's be real, when it comes to cooking, if you aren't waiting out the years until your parents pass so that you can drink yourself to death in peace without disappointing anyone, then you aren't doing it right.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Me, looking through the produce order sheet: Hey X, did you check on the herbs in the walk-in?
X, the new garde manger dude: Yeah, we need stems.
Me: What? Are you joking?
X: We're out of stems.
Me: ...Where do you think stems come from?
X: What?
Me: ...How do we get stems?
X: They... grow?
Me, considering a new life path: We don't get herb stems from the stem store, X. WE PULL THE LEAVES OFF OF THE HERBS AND SAVE THE STEMS FOR STOCK SCRAP. WE DON'T BUY SCRAP.
X: Ohh.

gently caress

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
That isn't evne close to the dumbest question I've asked and I've had two or three chefs who have been on television or magazines tell me I have real potential, so maybe this profession is just straight up for idiots.

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.
Yo dude you're asking about getting into an industry where the name of the thread is "There's Very Little Meat in These Gym Mats". Think about it. If you work hard and are a respectable person, most restaurant owners don't deserve you and will treat you like poo poo from the time you walk in the door until the time you walk out the door, no matter how many times you save the loving day by just being there, being you, and not sucking as a human being.

That being said, if you want to devote your life to this whole thing then start your own drat restaurant and do it the way you want to. Not the way everyone else does it. I haven't figured it out exactly, but the general layout of most restaurants just doesn't cut it. I think if I had my own spot I'd have most people work several FOH shifts and several BOH a week so everyone understands both sides of the story.--but what the gently caress do I know? Oh, I know, I'm getting out asap. I might go back just because I really, really like the restaurant. One of the new cats coming in to start training was supposed to come in this morning. Got into a car accident on the way. Probably won't be in tomorrow because the hospital wants to keep them there for, like, I dunno, car accident related stuff. I'm already 2 weeks into my notice, but I told them I don't want to leave until they got someone to replace me that doesn't suck. I'm expecting it to take until fall, and in the meantime I've got some jobs lined up just in case. :3 I gave my first drum lesson today! Looking forward to cooking for my friends and for fun?

Edit: I got to the end of the "stems" post thoroughly convinced that I was reading "sterns" because of the font. I was kind of excited to find out what a stern was, and then kind of crushed. :(

Alobar fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 13, 2015

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Let's be real, when it comes to cooking, if you aren't waiting out the years until your parents pass so that you can drink yourself to death in peace without disappointing anyone, then you aren't doing it right.

I laughed but I wasnt sure if this was just a funny post or if it hit uncomfortably close to home.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

I laughed but I wasnt sure if this was just a funny post or if it hit uncomfortably close to home.

Does it have to be one or the other?

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

This pretty much.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Sounds like you're just bad at this buddy. Work in a luxury hotel, get paid well, move into management, have bennies and a 401k, and retire on time.

I will literally never work in another freestanding restaurant unless I own it.

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

lol @ a "former" drug addict who still uses drugs (just not heroin!) thinking a BOH career is a healthy life choice.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Wroughtirony posted:

lol @ a "former" drug addict who still uses drugs (just not heroin!) thinking a BOH career is a healthy life choice.

Healthy choices have never been my forte

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
That's why you stick to beer and weed and do FOH.

Oh my god my alcohol budget. :suicide:

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

A Man and his dog posted:

That's why you stick to beer and weed and do FOH.

Oh my god my alcohol budget. :suicide:

Jesus christ tell me about it

when did I start out-drinking my friends 2-1? This is not impressive once you're out of your early twenties :cripes:

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 13, 2015

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
Just signed a contract for a new place, and putting my month notice today at my job in the city. New gig is a little place in queens, and I will be making more money, and I will have better benefits. Also I don't have to gently caress with catering anymore, and I can be a restaurant chef, instead of a chef of like twenty things. Wish me luck. My current job is going to poo poo when I give notice.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Creeper status: Where in queens?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Hey so, what do y'all think about CdC 's pay structure? (and are you foh or boh?)

Just curious, because I had the same reaction as his cooks to servers and boh both making $10/hr. But at the same time I agree with his sentiment of wanting quality people who know they're loved....

Dunno, trying to figure out what I'd pay folks in my IdealFutureRestaurant.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

mindphlux posted:

Hey so, what do y'all think about CdC 's pay structure? (and are you foh or boh?)

Just curious, because I had the same reaction as his cooks to servers and boh both making $10/hr. But at the same time I agree with his sentiment of wanting quality people who know they're loved....

FoH and I'm kind of shocked the servers don't tip out the kitchen, especially when they're making the same.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yeah that's weird to me. Paying severs and cooks $10 an hour. I'd be insulted as a chef.

Those severs must be killing it.

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!

Turkeybone posted:

Creeper status: Where in queens?

LIC

I'm waiting for my boss to come over to bug me about some poo poo because we have like three parties today (and service lol), one of which I have to do (no chef at the pass nice), and throw my notice on his rear end.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Sounds like you're just bad at this buddy. Work in a luxury hotel, get paid well, move into management, have bennies and a 401k, and retire on time.

I will literally never work in another freestanding restaurant unless I own it.

I was being facetious. Also, hospitals are even better. I cook for ~25 people twice a day, and prep tomorrow's cafe stuff and anything we're low on for room service, occasionally make a pizza or grilled cheese for a staffer who doesn't want what's in the cafe. Bennies and 401k are great, even for part time, and the pay is solid. If I could get enough hours to live on, I wouldn't be starting another part time at the end of the month, but to be honest I am excited for the challenge of a real kitchen, and the new place looks cool as hell. Hydroponic garden in the basement, small menu, etc.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe

mindphlux posted:

I would be upset, as a cook. Both FOH and BOH jobs suck, just in different ways, so I don't understand why their pay structures should be offset like that.

e:

Simoom posted:

it's not interesting, new, admirable or glamorous to ruin your life for the service industry
new thread title

Invisible Ted fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 13, 2015

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009

Healthy choices have never been my forte

It's cool to be all cavalier about this now but you should probably take it seriously because it's not interesting, new, admirable or glamorous to ruin your life for the service industry

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

A Man and his dog posted:

Yeah that's weird to me. Paying severs and cooks $10 an hour. I'd be insulted as a chef.

Those severs must be killing it.

gently caress that. A lot of the sentiment seems to be PAY SERVERS LESS AND COOKS MORE! You don't think servers earn their money? You think servers owe money to the cooks? Then why doesn't the cook tip out the dishwasher. Why doesn't the dishwasher tip out the service that comes in and cleans the floor mats? And why doesn't everyone in a three block radius tip out the guy who does the greasetrap?

Servers earn a slave wage because there is the reasonable expectation of tipping. This is just plain wrong. But it doesn't mean that servers owe the BOH poo poo, financially speaking. So when servers finally get a leg up at the expense of the management suddenly the cooks are whining that it's not fair? Why?

Instead of whining like entitled babies, maybe you organize?

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

Simoom posted:

It's cool to be all cavalier about this now but you should probably take it seriously because it's not interesting, new, admirable or glamorous to ruin your life for the service industry

I know, it was a joke. I've been working very hard and have been doing the right thing for a while now.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Typically because it means that, if management is spending ($10/hr - $2.35/hr) = $extra money/hr on the servers that is money that could have been spent on extra prep cook hours, extra dishwasher hours (these are the guys who clean the floor mats BTW), and extra hours and money for half-shift people to help out in the kitchen during huge rushes, while still maintaing a certain percentage of labor cost. The extra money going towards overstaffing your kitchen makes the entire operation run smoother at the expense of people who are already pulling down $Appropriate-wage, and who generally have less menial tasks and work shorter shifts.

Obviously this is all completely overgeneralizing (hence the "Typically") and differs for literally every situation you can think of, but I've worked in CA (where servers legally are paid at least minimum, and typically make more hourly than the dishwashers for senior positions) and Non-CA states (and I've worked FoH and BoH jobs in both) and the difference in staffing, prep levels, amount of cooks on the clock during rushes, and even the staff culture itself has been completely drastic in every job.

But again, I didn't work at every restaurant outside CA and every restaurant inside CA for every hour that has occurred, so your mileage and grains of salt may vary.

Generally, IMO, if you are paying everyone evenly there should be a full tipshare. I worked in a place like this and everyone enjoyed it -- the only problem was that the cooks ended up taking way more of the tipshare than the servers (at first) because there were cooks in the building 3 hours before it opened and 3 hours after it closed, while the servers typically came in ~30 minutes before and left ~30 minutes after.

e: the restaurant I worked in where the senior level servers made more hourly than all the dishwashers and most of the cooks in addition to taking home tips were terrible because everyone knew about it and it pissed them all off, including the other servers who were making $8.50 instead of $13.50 or whatever. It was also loving terrible cooking in that place because management aggressively cut morning prep and rushed everyone out the door at night, so you'd usually come in at 5:30 pm and have ~30 minutes to fill your entire station while also cooking orders for the start of the dinner rush.

12 rats tied together fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 13, 2015

cods
Nov 14, 2005

Oh snap-kins!
gently caress gently caress gently caress my job countered with a crazy offer. Dont know what to do.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Take it!

Lol

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Reiz posted:

Typically because it means that, if management is spending ($10/hr - $2.35/hr) = $extra money/hr on the servers that is money that could have been spent on extra prep cook hours, extra dishwasher hours (these are the guys who clean the floor mats BTW), and extra hours and money for half-shift people to help out in the kitchen during huge rushes, while still maintaing a certain percentage of labor cost. The extra money going towards overstaffing your kitchen makes the entire operation run smoother at the expense of people who are already pulling down $Appropriate-wage, and who generally have less menial tasks and work shorter shifts.

The money used for server raises could also have been used for mechanical bulls for the customers, and full service condom bar in the bathroom, lead crystal lightfixtures over the pass and visits by Elvis Impersonators. Your point?

e: ALSO. Many restaurants, some of them quite renowned, hire a company to do their floors and matts every night.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Okay let me just put this to rest in my situation since its me that pays servers 10 bucks an hour.

The place is very small. We don't really do table service. We have a person who takes orders and runs food. Drinks etc are self serve. There is only ever one server at a time. They open the restaurant, clean the floors and bathrooms and stock the drink area and bus the tables.

There is only one prep cook. Me. I prep everything in the morning and afternoon. I also am the cook during the day so I don't pay a cook for that. I have 1 cook at night and utilize the bartenders as servers since we switch to the bars aloha system. The cook at night works 4 hours more than the servers and is just responsible for cooking and closing the kitchen. We also hand wash the dishes and it's the cooks job.

I choose to pay my servers a good wage to keep them happy.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I choose to pay my servers a good wage to keep them happy.

I don't think anyone is taking issue with this. But from the sounds of things the only person in your restaurant that doesn't have a chance to earn tips (yourself aside) is the night cook. Their workload may or may not justify them earning less then the servers, but do you not see how being the only employee that's not earning tips could be demoralizing?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Crazy Larry posted:

I don't think anyone is taking issue with this. But from the sounds of things the only person in your restaurant that doesn't have a chance to earn tips (yourself aside) is the night cook. Their workload may or may not justify them earning less then the servers, but do you not see how being the only employee that's not earning tips could be demoralizing?

Well since I don't actually make as much as they all do and I own the place no. No I do not see how they can get mad. The night cook does significantly less than everyone else and still walks with 80 bucks a night. I also work my rear end off. On Fridays I'm here from 9 am to 2 am. I live at this bitch and it sucks and I still make less than 100 bucks a day. The night cook is only making nachos and burgers, so it's a job anyone can do.

Edit: also since my night cook is a musician who tours around he can't work weekends. So he only works mon-Thursday and gets every weekend off. He should be fuckimg excited I give him weekends off every week instead of just replacing him.

Errant Gin Monks fucked around with this message at 23:43 on May 13, 2015

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Well since I don't actually make as much as they all do and I own the place no. No I do not see how they can get mad. The night cook does significantly less than everyone else and still walks with 80 bucks a night. I also work my rear end off. On Fridays I'm here from 9 am to 2 am. I live at this bitch and it sucks and I still make less than 100 bucks a day. The night cook is only making nachos and burgers, so it's a job anyone can do.

Edit: also since my night cook is a musician who tours around he can't work weekends. So he only works mon-Thursday and gets every weekend off. He should be fuckimg excited I give him weekends off every week instead of just replacing him.

How transparent are you about your pay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

wins32767 posted:

How transparent are you about your pay?

About my personal income? They all know what I take home. They know it's in the building phase since we are in our first year and I don't make poo poo and am blowing through my savings and relying on my wife to pay the mortgage to make this thing work. It's steadily building though and I hope in the next year I will be able to hire more people and make it easier on everyone.

• Locked thread