Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

That's amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Chris James 2 posted:

That's amazing

his big scoop is that :siren: ECW GUYS :siren: will be at the Philly NXT show

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

his big scoop is that :siren: ECW GUYS :siren: will be at the Philly NXT show

Amish Roadkill and Joey Saunders are going to be a good fit

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Amish Roadkill and Joey Saunders are going to be a good fit

The rumor is Tommy Dreamer.

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
I'm going to be really happy when one of the reddit mods does a tell all blog post about the poo poo MetsFan told them

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
hope it turns out to be Metsfan playing the long game

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Bard Maddox posted:

hope it turns out to be Metsfan playing the long game

It'd be pretty amazing if it was just some dumbass internet buddy being fed info by MetsFan

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Is this a good place to post Mark Madden's expert wrestling analysis?

Mark Madden posted:

When Neville does all those twists after leaping from the top rope, does that necessarily make the move’s impact more damaging to his opponent? Wouldn’t it be less risky and equally harmful to just jump directly onto his foe?

Mark Madden posted:

Why is putting someone through a table so incapacitating? They’re thin and flimsy, and doing so actually breaks your opponent’s fall.

Mark Madden posted:

Is C.M. Punk really feuding with a friggin’ Power Ranger?

Mark Madden posted:

Does anyone care that ESPN’s Michelle Beadle is no longer a WWE fan? Did that really merit a tweet, and a blog? How come it’s OK for Beadle’s SportsNation co-host, ex-NFL player Marcellus Wiley, to post supportive tweets about Floyd Mayweather Jr., but it’s not OK for Triple H to do so?

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

The fact that Madden worked in wrestling and doesn't understand that flip modifiers multiply damage is shameful.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
spins lead to increased momentum which increases force

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Madden would lose his mind watching the Young Bucks

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Chris James 2 posted:

Madden would lose his mind watching the Young Bucks

He's not a fan

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Faustian Bargain posted:

Is this a good place to post Mark Madden's expert wrestling analysis?

This is true and really got me thinking. Like

- Dropping someone flat on their back isn't really an effective tactic. All moves should instead focus on the head and neck.

- Why would you run when whipped toward the ropes? Wrestlers should instead refuse to cooperate and strike their opponent.

- Wrestlers spend far too much time standing face to face, when grapples and takedowns would be much more effective.

- why would a clown wrestle? He is a clown.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Blast Fantasto posted:

- Dropping someone flat on their back isn't really an effective tactic. All moves should instead focus on the head and neck.

- Why would you run when whipped toward the ropes? Wrestlers should instead refuse to cooperate and strike their opponent.

- Wrestlers spend far too much time standing face to face, when grapples and takedowns would be much more effective.

You know, what you should REALLY do is book your wrestlers in shoot fights against MMA guys, then you can prove your champ is really tough.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

schweens posted:

He's not a fan

A sure sign they're doing something right

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Blast Fantasto posted:

I feel like Brock Lesnar is the only wrestler in history to truly grasp this statement.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The thing about Punk feuding with a Power Ranger is true and endlessly hilarious though, I'll give him that.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...
With the tables thing, it does bother me a bit when Randy Orton RKOs someone onto something, whether it's a a chair or through a table. The impact is all on Randy's back, especially when it's through a table. It should hurt him more than his opponent but he's always totally fine.

On the other hand, it's wrestling.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I take it Punk is set to fight the Jesusy green ranger guy? Or is he having a dumb twitter war with him?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

RacistGuidingLight posted:

I take it Punk is set to fight the Jesusy green ranger guy? Or is he having a dumb twitter war with him?

IIRC he challenged Punk.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

That's not official and seems extremely unlikely to happen IMO.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

He's actually fighting the White Ranger

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

Blast Fantasto posted:

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

Green ranger has put out some videos calling out Punk, but all I've seen from Punk's side is someone asked about it at some comic panel and Punk brushed the guy off as looking to extend his 15 minutes of fame from 20 years ago.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

An article about how progressive TNA is, in the same week that they hired Nazis to produce the show.

quote:

Two weeks ago, in an interview with Esquire, the newly appointed Senior Producer of TNA's creative team, Billy Corgan, set out a mission statement for how he would like to affect change within the company's flagship television show. To paraphrase, his goal is to tell the Great American Story and to stop the masses looking down their noses at wrestling by transforming it into a form of entertainment that addresses serious issues that transcend cultural divides.

This past Friday, during an uncomfortable in-ring promo from MVP, we may have caught our first glimpse of Corgan's vision.

In recent months, the issue of race has been somewhat of a talking point in wrestling media. There have been numerous articles, such as this piece by Sherron Watson, addressing the unfair representation and lack of success enjoyed by wrestlers from minority ethnic groups(1). Whilst wrestling reporters and pundits have been only too happy to debate the issue of race in mainstream wrestling, the promotions themselves have been very tight-lipped about the matter and seldom seek to explore it in any meaningful way on their television shows.

Sure we have an annual token Women's History Month and Black History Month, tantamount to frantically scrambling to find a black face on your Facebook friends list as though that is somehow proof that you are not a racist, but when the television specials have finished airing and the month ends it is back to business as usual for the remaining 11 months of the year.

Unfortunately, the history books have shown us that business as usual when it comes to race in the wrestling industry tends to involve lurching violently between the extreme ends of a hideously outdated stereotypical spectrum. At one end of the spectrum you have an extremist, pro-black, militant group (lets call them the Nation of Domination), and at the other end you you have a bunch of dancing, fun-loving black faces that appear to be perpetually competing with one another for the female lead in Sister Act The Musical (lets call them The New Day).

Ethnicity aside, even racism along lines of nationality are historically dealt with in a completely ham-fisted and antiquated fashion. John Cena versus Rusev. America versus Russia. Fantastic!... except the Cold War ended 25 years ago and it was 1985 when Rocky Balboa was battling Ivan Drago.

Wrestling has a dark tradition of dealing with issues of race by simply reinforcing stereotypes. Is it any wonder that so many people mock wrestling when the industry standard for dealing with serious issues is to dumb them down into a pantomime?

Until last Friday, I used to think that TNA was quite progressive when it came to race, particularly with the way that Bobby Lashley was being used. Here we have a great wrestler and athlete that was given the World Heavyweight Championship as a result of his abilities. Yes he is black, but the colour of his skin was purely coincidental to his title win - not incidental - and there wasn't a big fanfare marking this momentous occasion of a black man becoming champion.

However, upon hearing MVP's promo this week, it dawned on me that whilst TNA's equal opportunities treatment of Lashley was deserving of solemn praise, it was not exactly progressive. The fact is that the World is full of social injustice and racial divides, and although ignoring them is nowhere near as harmful as turning them into stereotypical parodies, pretending these issues do not exist and that they will go away on their own does very little to progress the discussion of a very real issue.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not accusing TNA of willfully ignoring the issue of race in their programming, or that they did so with any malicious intent, but I can understand why it would be easier to simply not address some subjects for fear of stumbling into the pitfalls of the past.

It is for the above reasons that I would consider MVP's promo on Friday to be nothing short of ground-breaking. Not because he dropped an N-bomb on live television, but because for the first time that I can remember in wrestling he broke a wall of silence and brought the issue of race and social inequality hurtling into the 21st Century, prompting us to take a cold, uncomfortable look at the World around us.

Anyone that follows MVP on Twitter knows that he is not shy about sharing his World views on social media. He is constantly retweeting news stories about black people that have suffered injustice at the hands of the police or the Government, and although at times I have found some of the stories stretched his point a bit too thinly, I realise that I say this from the comfort of being a white man living an ocean away in the UK. Although I do not belong to the same demographic (and I don't mean to belittle the issues at hand with this comparison), as a TNA fan I can certainly empathise with minority groups feeling unfairly represented by the media.

Wherever you are in the World, there is a good chance that you have experienced or at least heard of incidents of social unrest and rioting. From the London Riots of 2011, the Greek Austerity Riots of 2011-2012, to a whole host of riots breaking out across America in recent years; Oakland, Brooklyn, Anaheim, Ferguson, Baltimore. One thing that unifies all of these outbreaks of "civil disobedience" is the way in which they are covered by the media. Rather than seeking to analyse the long chain of events that have culminated in violence, media coverage instead chooses to focus on those they brand as opportunists, people that are using protests as an excuse to commit criminal damage. The root cause of the protests soon becomes only a footnote as the issue is deflected in favour of sensationalising the damage and the looting, and portraying the protesters as a bunch of thugs.

This was the crux of MVP's promo on Friday.

Why is it that when black people (or any other social underclass in any country) are forced to protest to get what they want they get labelled as a bunch of thugs, yet every Government in the World can take what they want with impunity because they are wearing a suit, or a uniform or are hiding behind a shield?

Why is it that we hate the Beat Down Clan for doing what they want, yet cheer for The Rising for doing exactly the same?

Is it somehow acceptable that Drew Galloway came to TNA swinging a pipe and splitting people open because he was doing so on behalf of a predominantly white wrestling fanbase?

Are the Beat Down Clan only doing the things that they do because they have no other choice? To enjoy the wealth and prestige usually reserved for whatever white poster boy is chosen as champion to represent the company by a white board of directors?

These are tough questions, and not the kind of things we are used to being asked by a wrestling show. They transcend wrestling gimmicks and storylines, and give us reason to pause and reflect on what is happening around us. Is the wrestling World ready to have their views challenged on such a deep and introspective level? I honestly couldn't say, because up until this point I don't believe any mainstream wrestling promotion has had the mettle to tackle such serious issues head-on.

There is no way of knowing for certain whether MVP's promo was prompted by Billy Corgan and his vision for TNA (it would certainly fit the creative plans he set out in numerous interviews), or whether MVP himself chose to incorporate some of his beliefs into his speech on Friday. Either way, the uncomfortable truths that MVP chose to get off his chest on Impact have broken the barrier of what is and what isn't acceptable to talk about in wrestling. I would go so far as to say that he did more good for the discussion of race in wrestling in the space of 2 minutes, than the decades worth of ill-conceived gimmicks and racial stereotypes that have preceded him.

(1) The fact that I feel uncomfortable enough to have to talk about it in these euphemistic terms is probably indicative of what a taboo subject it is for me within the World of wrestling.

http://www.tnamecca.com/2015/05/the-new-n-word.html

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

close the thread

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Blast Fantasto posted:

That's a pretty mean thing to say about Jeff Hardy

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Please change the thread title to:

as a TNA fan I can certainly empathise with minority groups feeling unfairly represented by the media.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

flashy_mcflash posted:

An article about how progressive TNA is, in the same week that they hired Nazis to produce the show.

http://youtu.be/SBluf_YzRg4

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

See: R-Truth's entire run.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Hell is real, and I'm in it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

These people can vote

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

Please change the thread title to:

as a TNA fan I can certainly empathise with minority groups feeling unfairly represented by the media.

I, for one, understand the struggles of slavery, genocide, and systematic institutionalized racism because Dragon Gate doesn't get enough mainstream recognition.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I love that whole article but this is one of my favourites:

this dimwit posted:

John Cena versus Rusev. America versus Russia. Fantastic!... except the Cold War ended 25 years ago and it was 1985 when Rocky Balboa was battling Ivan Drago.

So the guy who chose to write about TNA using real-world events in their storylines can't think of anything culturally relevant involving Russia since 1985.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

quote:

Man Bun Murphy

Who the hell told him to go out with that stupid haircut? I get they're trying to make Blake and Murphy look a bit different from each other, but jesus christ. Might as well give him angel wings and a tampon dispenser.

Posted about 16 hours ago, still thinks that Blake is the Australian.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Faustian Bargain posted:

Green ranger has put out some videos calling out Punk, but all I've seen from Punk's side is someone asked about it at some comic panel and Punk brushed the guy off as looking to extend his 15 minutes of fame from 20 years ago.

I don't disagree but Punk is not in any position to say that.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

flashy_mcflash posted:

The hired the Harris brothers?

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MrBling posted:

Literally yes

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

MrBling posted:

Yes because TNA: the truth is stranger than fiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goc
Mar 26, 2013

I joined the new sensation, the #RXT REVOLUTION~!

:chillout:

he knows...

Faustian Bargain posted:

Mark Madden posted:
Does anyone care that ESPN’s Michelle Beadle is no longer a WWE fan? Did that really merit a tweet, and a blog? How come it’s OK for Beadle’s SportsNation co-host, ex-NFL player Marcellus Wiley, to post supportive tweets about Floyd Mayweather Jr., but it’s not OK for Triple H to do so?

He's not wrong about this one though.