Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

FIRST TIME posted:

I have a chip modded XBOX and have had several softmodded XBOX. They're both pretty much the same functionally.

I might learn to do the TSOP flash just to know how to do it but for now I just use the Splinter Cell exploit to get the eeprom.bin and then use XBHDM to build the new hard drive and run the Splinter Cell exploit on the new hard drive.

It's braindead easy to TSOP flash a xbox. You solder 2 tiny points on a motherboard to bridge them, get a flash cd and load up a bios. Then your xbox is permanently modded and you don't have to worry about drive locking or passwords or anything. From a usability standpoint on day-to-day it's not much different using but in the event of hardware failure it's much easier to swap things out as you don't fumble with the shoddy security put in place by Microsoft.

Another cool thing is you can find the SDK to XBox, install the modified dev bios and use the various tools within it. There's an app that lets you pull screenshots directly from the XBox into Windows as an example or you can use the XDK dashboard which you can use to install games to the HD. The latter isn't much use since dashboards are extremely functional now but it still looked really neat back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Ineffiable posted:

Yes this pretty much. It's almost impossible to unload a collection (even something like 5 or more games) for the full market value of the collection. You'll be taking a 20% or more hit.

You may want to identify what game value you're willing to spend more time to take pictures and sell individually (any games worth 50 or more? 100 or more?) since you can let those go for market value. The only way to get market value is to sell individually.

Another idea is to put a list on samart, make minimum orders of 50 or 100 bucks then start selling bundles of crap games or whatnot as deals to clear it out once your list thins out.

Basically, don't expect to be able to unload it all at once for the amount you'd expect.

I was expecting roughly 60% of the top-dollar piece-by-piece collector price by selling the whole lot. Maybe that's unrealistic - honestly I don't even know what the total top of the line price would be, it's kind of overwhelming. I don't have any ultra-rare 200+ dollar games, but based on ebay (sold for price, not asking) I think my most valuable games are final fantasy complete with the manual+monster guide or whatever it was called (although the box is in poo poo condition) - I've seen those go around 100+ complete or near complete in box. I figure my set of megaman 1-6 are worth a good amount - megaman 1's box is pretty beat up but it's a complete set with all manuals, and 4 5 and 6 are in pretty much perfect condition because I didn't really like them as a kid. I like to think (probably incorrectly) that my tmnt 2 copy is worth something, if only for the novelty of having the unused expired in 1992 personal pan pizza coupon from pizza hut in the manual.

My main problem I've found in trying to feel out prices is not a lot of people see value in the "complete" part - most people just want the cartridges.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

Murphy Brownback posted:

I was expecting roughly 60% of the top-dollar piece-by-piece collector price by selling the whole lot. Maybe that's unrealistic - honestly I don't even know what the total top of the line price would be, it's kind of overwhelming. I don't have any ultra-rare 200+ dollar games, but based on ebay (sold for price, not asking) I think my most valuable games are final fantasy complete with the manual+monster guide or whatever it was called (although the box is in poo poo condition) - I've seen those go around 100+ complete or near complete in box. I figure my set of megaman 1-6 are worth a good amount - megaman 1's box is pretty beat up but it's a complete set with all manuals, and 4 5 and 6 are in pretty much perfect condition because I didn't really like them as a kid. I like to think (probably incorrectly) that my tmnt 2 copy is worth something, if only for the novelty of having the unused expired in 1992 personal pan pizza coupon from pizza hut in the manual.

My main problem I've found in trying to feel out prices is not a lot of people see value in the "complete" part - most people just want the cartridges.

Collectors will want complete - I'm one of those people. I much prefer complete to loose cartridges. If I have a loose one I'll do what I can to get a box and manual for display purposes because I'm a hoarder of games according to my wife. Lots of collectors are also like this, they want CIB now more-so than loose.

I'd say make an excel file of what you have, alphabetize it, price it according to a few different sources (complete, loose, etc.) what it's selling for then take 10-20% out for a sale price and either make bulk by genre groups to sell or literally piece out the one's that you know are worth good coin and bulk the others. I'm really bored so if you have a list of them all in excel or something already I can help. Work is dog slow today.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

flyboi posted:

It's braindead easy to TSOP flash a xbox. You solder 2 tiny points on a motherboard to bridge them, get a flash cd and load up a bios. Then your xbox is permanently modded and you don't have to worry about drive locking or passwords or anything. From a usability standpoint on day-to-day it's not much different using but in the event of hardware failure it's much easier to swap things out as you don't fumble with the shoddy security put in place by Microsoft.

True but not having to solder a single thing is a plus too. The only time I've had an xbox totally die it wasn't too bad getting the data off, was a little annoying sure but not too bad at all since I had the key backed up. Nowadays I just keep an entire backup of the drive at all times (because how often does data on the thing change anyway except for a few mp3s or videos) so just in case something wonky does happen, I'm a copy/paste away from being back up and running essentially. Also unless I'm forgetting something major, some drives don't even need to be locked to work fine. I don't think the 500gb WD I have is currently locked and everything works perfectly.

Different strokes for different folks though, no real wrong answer here.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Hey, did you hear they're going to do a new Nintendo World Championships this year?

http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/13/8598679/nintendo-world-championships-return-at-e3

Did you hear about when I tried to start a campaign for it last year and messaged Nintendo about it repeatedly?

http://readretro.com/features/why-nintendo-should-bring-back-nintendo-world-championships/

Ahahaha.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Kodilynn posted:

Collectors will want complete - I'm one of those people. I much prefer complete to loose cartridges. If I have a loose one I'll do what I can to get a box and manual for display purposes because I'm a hoarder of games according to my wife. Lots of collectors are also like this, they want CIB now more-so than loose.

I'd say make an excel file of what you have, alphabetize it, price it according to a few different sources (complete, loose, etc.) what it's selling for then take 10-20% out for a sale price and either make bulk by genre groups to sell or literally piece out the one's that you know are worth good coin and bulk the others. I'm really bored so if you have a list of them all in excel or something already I can help. Work is dog slow today.

Not an excel, but here's a list I made a long time ago from memory, so I may have missed some of the minor ones http://pastebin.com/96bpB18a

All of them have a box+dust guard thing, I can't say for certain which have manuals and which don't (I'm about 5000 miles away from the actual collection right now so I can't check for a few weeks) but most of them do. Next time I go home I'll take a few hours and try and make a more complete catalogue with some pics. As far as I know all still work, except Spelunker, which sucks because that was one of my favorites. It might be fixable though - it just does that green screen thing whenever you turn it on.

The wireless controllers I mentioned are called "Double Player Wireless Head-to-Head system". I don't think we ever even tried to use it for whatever reason - it's still all in the plastic bags and stuff that it came in in the box. It looks like someone is trying to sell them for 49 dollars on amazon, so I'd be surprised if they're worth half that, but they're still kind of neat. I've heard the vertical loader NES I have is still worth something though.

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

Murphy Brownback posted:

Not an excel, but here's a list I made a long time ago from memory, so I may have missed some of the minor ones http://pastebin.com/96bpB18a

All of them have a box+dust guard thing, I can't say for certain which have manuals and which don't (I'm about 5000 miles away from the actual collection right now so I can't check for a few weeks) but most of them do. Next time I go home I'll take a few hours and try and make a more complete catalogue with some pics. As far as I know all still work, except Spelunker, which sucks because that was one of my favorites. It might be fixable though - it just does that green screen thing whenever you turn it on.

The wireless controllers I mentioned are called "Double Player Wireless Head-to-Head system". I don't think we ever even tried to use it for whatever reason - it's still all in the plastic bags and stuff that it came in in the box. It looks like someone is trying to sell them for 49 dollars on amazon, so I'd be surprised if they're worth half that, but they're still kind of neat. I've heard the vertical loader NES I have is still worth something though.

I have almost nothing going on this afternoon so I'll do a quick run-through from the pastebin. The wireless controllers even complete go for about $30~40. We had a set in box in plastic at the local retro shop go for about $45 but they charge a little over retail sometimes so don't expect to get that. At least this gives me something to do.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

The Kins posted:

I was linked to this today. Apparently crappy licensed edutainment never died, it just fled to Taiwan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImlfK-1PeAI

It was clear that not even the brightest minds from Japan or the West could come up with a name as sublime as Rockman X Math Tornado

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Random Stranger posted:

SNES Doom is a novelty, not something worth playing.

SNES Doom was my first experience with the game. I rented it first, and loved it so much that I bought a new copy. I dunno, I guess it was the whole new-3D-immersion gameplay that won me over. I was a boy of 15 at the time, take that as you will. Later I would see it on my cousin's PC and was like :aaaaa: I didn't have a PC until 1999, and one of the first games I bought for it was the Doom95 package.

Nowadays the best way to play Doom is, like someone else said, through a sourceport with mods. Brutal Doom is seriously the best thing ever, as shown in the video below. Links to everything are in the description.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjfbVFxsMVU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Caitlin posted:

Hey, did you hear they're going to do a new Nintendo World Championships this year?

http://www.polygon.com/2015/5/13/8598679/nintendo-world-championships-return-at-e3

Did you hear about when I tried to start a campaign for it last year and messaged Nintendo about it repeatedly?

http://readretro.com/features/why-nintendo-should-bring-back-nintendo-world-championships/

Ahahaha.

I hope they make Gold WiiU disks or something for it :allears:.

Comedy option; Gold 2015 World Championship NES carts.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Caitlin posted:

Ahahaha.

Do you feel vindicated, robbed, or both?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

xamphear posted:

Do you feel vindicated, robbed, or both?

Mostly vindicated. The Polygon (heh) article mentions that Nintendo will be inviting select players, so I am patiently awaiting my invitation. If I do not receive an invitation, THEN I might feel a little bit robbed. :sax:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I hope they make Gold WiiU disks or something for it :allears:.

Comedy option; Gold 2015 World Championship NES carts.

I really hope they do too, honestly! In a gold metallic DVD case it could look pretty neat, even...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Caitlin posted:

Mostly vindicated. The Polygon (heh) article mentions that Nintendo will be inviting select players, so I am patiently awaiting my invitation. If I do not receive an invitation, THEN I might feel a little bit robbed. :sax:

As annoyed as I am with how they're implementing this (why not run it through their Best Buy demos so it'll be open to the entire country?), you definitely deserve an invite. I suspect that they're just going to select some popular streamers/youtubers, though.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Kodilynn posted:

I have almost nothing going on this afternoon so I'll do a quick run-through from the pastebin. The wireless controllers even complete go for about $30~40. We had a set in box in plastic at the local retro shop go for about $45 but they charge a little over retail sometimes so don't expect to get that. At least this gives me something to do.

Cool, thanks. Just so you know, when I described the box of final fantasy (and to a slightly lesser extent, megaman), I was being rather gentle. It is barely holding together and really requires gentle handling. It's still there though, which seems to be rare.

e: just looking at ebay now, some of the prices they are asking for CIB megamans are pretty absurd compared to what I've seen them sold for - individually people are trying to get 200-300 each. I was expecting something like 300 for the set. Sometimes I just don't know if I'm undervaluing or unreasonably overvaluing what I have.

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 13, 2015

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

As annoyed as I am with how they're implementing this (why not run it through their Best Buy demos so it'll be open to the entire country?), you definitely deserve an invite. I suspect that they're just going to select some popular streamers/youtubers, though.

ugh, why even best buy demo stations? have they fully aired them out after the super smash bros thing? the splatoon event is exactly how a timed demo should be run.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

^^ you are the only person I have heard say something positive about how they scheduled the Splatoon demo.

Random Stranger posted:

You must have missed that part of the article?

Polygon posted:

Qualifying rounds for the Nintendo World Championships will begin on May 30 at Best Buy locations in major cities around the country.

So I'm also probably going to wait and see what's local to me too, but thank you for saying you think I deserve an invitation. It is heartening to hear someone say that they think so besides me just whining about how I wish I could go, ahaha! You're probably right about who they'll invite, though.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

RZA Encryption posted:

ugh, why even best buy demo stations? have they fully aired them out after the super smash bros thing? the splatoon event is exactly how a timed demo should be run.

You need to run it at some kind of controlled environment to minimize the possibility of cheating and they're already running demo events at Best Buy.

Caitlin posted:

You must hvae missed that part of the article?

So I'm also probably going to wait and see what's local to me too, but thank you for saying you think I deserve an invitation. It is heartening to hear someone say that they think so besides me just whining about how I wish I could go, ahaha! You're probably right about who they'll invite, though.

I did miss that. I'm definitely going to do the qualifier though it's about a 90 minute drive to the nearest Best Buy for me. Just too good of an opportunity to pass up.

And I meant it when I said you deserve it. Getting some record holders out there to compete would be better for competition than whoever has a million youtube subscribers.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 13, 2015

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Kodilynn posted:

You're going to take a hit on it regardless if you really want to sell it as a collection unless you're firm and stubborn about the pricing. The video game pricing charting site is a good point of reference with comparisons to eBay prices of listings that have sold, not what people are asking for to get an idea. It takes a lot of work to catalogue everything if you do piece it out and you'd ironically probably get more money this way even though it's a more intense process. Your best bet honestly is eBay with a firm price minimum that has to be met. You'll lose money on it in the end either way, but it may be less than what you think if you have that kind of time to do it.

Can confirm doing this is the best way to get an idea of the best price.
You'd probably also get more money selling small groups of one rare with several more popular/cheaper games just to get rid of them.

One thing you can do, if you don't mind doing all the work involved, is make a spread sheet for each game and break it down into several categories of Complete (box and all), Stand Alone (no box, works), Untested/Damaged. Then add entries below for each type, with the first two cells giving you the mean and median.

Did this for some consoles and discovered it's actually cheaper to buy them bundled with games and everything than stand alone. And for nearly the same price, you could have it with the box it came in! Didn't apply to all consoles though. Most were pretty normal in pricing.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Random Stranger posted:

Seriously, Doom on the SNES is a horrible port. Even if the system wasn't extremely underpowered for the game, there are problems with the interface and the resolution reduces everything to a brown blur. The choppiness makes some of the secrets that require tight timing almost impossible to get. SNES Doom is a novelty, not something worth playing.

Soundtrack's badass, at least.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

What will even be in the new Nintendo championships? A Smash Bro Tourney, _______

Kodilynn
Sep 29, 2006

Murphy Brownback posted:

Cool, thanks. Just so you know, when I described the box of final fantasy (and to a slightly lesser extent, megaman), I was being rather gentle. It is barely holding together and really requires gentle handling. It's still there though, which seems to be rare.

e: just looking at ebay now, some of the prices they are asking for CIB megamans are pretty absurd compared to what I've seen them sold for - individually people are trying to get 200-300 each. I was expecting something like 300 for the set. Sometimes I just don't know if I'm undervaluing or unreasonably overvaluing what I have.

I need your e-mail. I'm about halfway through and I'd rather e-mail you the result instead of posting it given the work I'm putting into this. Or PM it to me. Either is fine.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TolAEjEuDo

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
In the past couple of generations of consoles, "First-party Nintendo" games have been pretty much the only reason to buy the system. This made me wonder about how things stood back in the NES and SNES era; are the first-party games on those consoles the stand-out games of that generation? Were there any that sucked?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
The first party Nintendo games have always been the reason to get any of their console. It's just that the NES was literally the only option for 3rd parties at the time, and they hadn't run everyone off with the N64's bad design and licensing yet.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

flyboi posted:

Another cool thing is you can find the SDK to XBox, install the modified dev bios and use the various tools within it. There's an app that lets you pull screenshots directly from the XBox into Windows as an example or you can use the XDK dashboard which you can use to install games to the HD. The latter isn't much use since dashboards are extremely functional now but it still looked really neat back in the day.

do you even have to solder? it's been years since i did it but I can't remember having to do any soldering to do a hot swap mod

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

CountingWizard posted:

In the past couple of generations of consoles, "First-party Nintendo" games have been pretty much the only reason to buy the system. This made me wonder about how things stood back in the NES and SNES era; are the first-party games on those consoles the stand-out games of that generation? Were there any that sucked?

The NES and SNES have excellent libraries of third-party games as well as first party games. It wasn't until the N64 that Nintendo consoles were home for Nintendo games and not much else.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong
So I got a couple like NISB NES games today. Normally I only collect stuff I'm going to open and play but in this case I made an exception as I really like the game and cover of Princess Tomato (I already own a playable copy). The other game is Max Gravity which I know almost nothing about.

I'm not really sure how to store games like this. As long as it's climate controlled and out of sunlight am I pretty safe? I assume the color of the cardboard and the plastic wrap are the main things that might break down.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

CountingWizard posted:

There's plenty of Nintendo games from that era that were pretty bad. In the Famicom/NES era, Ice Climbers was pretty bad. Urban Champion was awful even at the time. Kid Icarus always gets attention, but it's a bad game. And Zelda 2 is probably the worst game Nintendo published in all of their major series.

SNES era, Pilotwings is only playable as a tech demo. And Yoshi's Safari is notable for being not fun.

But Nintendo designed games were usually among the best out there, anyway. The illegal licensing requirements they had through about 1991 also locked the best third party software into their systems as well, though. And because Nintendo spent 1986 through 1995 burning every single bridge in the video game industry the N64 is when the anti-Nintendo backlash on the industry side really hit.

DisposableHero posted:

So I got a couple like NISB NES games today. Normally I only collect stuff I'm going to open and play but in this case I made an exception as I really like the game and cover of Princess Tomato (I already own a playable copy). The other game is Max Gravity which I know almost nothing about.

I'm not really sure how to store games like this. As long as it's climate controlled and out of sunlight am I pretty safe? I assume the color of the cardboard and the plastic wrap are the main things that might break down.

There's usually four things you have to worry about in long term preservation: light, water, temperature, and oxygen. Unless you are crazy you're not going to be able to do much about the oxygen slowly turning things cardboard to acid that will destroy everything. Temperature and water are more easily controlled for, just keeping it in your air conditioned house will handle those things optimally.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 13, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Random Stranger posted:

And Zelda 2 is probably the worst game Nintendo published in all of their major series.

Oh please, Zelda 2 isn't even close to the worst Zelda game, let alone the worst game in Nintendo's regular lineup.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
New shell from Krikzz arrived today.

See you later Griffey...

Hello translucent red plastic!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Stux posted:

do you even have to solder? it's been years since i did it but I can't remember having to do any soldering to do a hot swap mod

Yes but it's quite possibly the easiest solder points for any system mod ever.

http://www.biline.ca/xbox_solder.htm

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Cubey posted:

Oh please, Zelda 2 isn't even close to the worst Zelda game, let alone the worst game in Nintendo's regular lineup.

I don't care for Ocarina of Time, but I'd rather play the Master Quest version of it again than play Zelda 2.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

zelda 2 is better than spirit tracks.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

corn in the bible posted:

I liked spirit tracks :smith:

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Random Stranger posted:

And Zelda 2 is probably the worst game Nintendo published in all of their major series.

Yoshi's Story would like to have a word with you.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Codiekitty posted:

Yoshi's Story would like to have a word with you.

but it's super happy!

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Random Stranger posted:

There's plenty of Nintendo games from that era that were pretty bad. In the Famicom/NES era, Ice Climbers was pretty bad.

Kid Icarus always gets attention, but it's a bad game.

SNES era, Pilotwings is only playable as a tech demo

Ouch ouch and ouch! Those are 3 of my favorite games of all time, and not for purely nostalgia reasons (that I'm aware of). I can see how Ice Climbers and Kid Icarus could be considered crappy compared to arguably better games, but Pilotwings owns hard and always will.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Doom 64 is the only Doom title worth playing on a console. Because it's the real Doom 3 in my eyes.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

Man you are just full of terrible opinions!

Random Stranger posted:

I did miss that. I'm definitely going to do the qualifier though it's about a 90 minute drive to the nearest Best Buy for me. Just too good of an opportunity to pass up.

And I meant it when I said you deserve it. Getting some record holders out there to compete would be better for competition than whoever has a million youtube subscribers.

I'm banking on there actually being a qualifier about 2 minutes from my work, since I'm right behind a rather large Best Buy, heh. So that's something. Looks like Empire Arcadia's "Triforce" Johnson is taking credit for the NWC already, so maybe if he "borrows" enough money from people he can afford to go to E3. If you don't know anything about stupid arcade/FGC drama best to leave that stone unturned and let this make no sense to you, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Tyson Tomko posted:

Ouch ouch and ouch! Those are 3 of my favorite games of all time, and not for purely nostalgia reasons (that I'm aware of). I can see how Ice Climbers and Kid Icarus could be considered crappy compared to arguably better games, but Pilotwings owns hard and always will.

If you're going to say Pilotwings is bad because "it's basically a tech demo" then you might as well say F-Zero is bad too and both games are really good and cool.

• Locked thread