Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Anyone else grow out that Beginner City I posted? Here's mine at 100k: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=441787473

Still lots to unfuck, and plenty of money to do it with :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

#JustNewDelhiThings

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Finally got my ridgeline windfarm setup on the rim of the valley in my Medellin map

Transit between the floor and rim of the valley is a bit of a challenge, looking forward to tunnels.

Whoever suggested that internal/external train traffic method, thanks! That really solved a lot of my traffic issues.

Here's the view looking more southerly, I just got started on expanding south of my initial three tiles. This is at about 85K pop.

The map works out really well, the terrain is believable yet also challenging, and I flattened out the "flat" areas so you can build like you ought to be able to in a game, but the hilly parts are still challenging to get roads designed in a workable fashion. You can see I have a big fat artery of traffic running up the less steep part of the hillside to make transit between the two areas possible. Even my subway has switchbacks :v:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 13, 2015

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
This game often looks great from a bird's-eye view, but the individual buildings are pretty hit or miss. Some are shockingly ugly, with the standout worst offender being the only L5 2x2 dense residential building in the game:

Jesus loving Christ, look at this poo poo. It's a dirty metal dildo. It doesn't look like a top-end apartment building, it looks like the worker barracks for a Martian penal mining colony from an early 2000s sci-fi RTS. To top it off, it shows up all over the place because of how badly the zoning gets chopped up by anything other than a perfect road grid.

I'd like nicer buildings to look at, but I'm also super-lazy. Are there any curated mod collections of growables? I don't need a ton of stuff, just a smattering of high-quality additions for some variety. Or failing that, two or three better 2x2 options so I don't have to see giant clusters of this garbage all over the place. I did a quick workshop search but didn't see anything great; are there some hidden gems out there I'm missing?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The only thing that really bugs me about the graphics in this game is the horrible cubemap they use for reflections. I cannot fathom why they chose some random cityscape to use for reflections instead of a blurry diffuse image.

I keep hoping to spot a mod that swaps the cubemap to show up but haven't come across one yet.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Supraluminal posted:

Jesus loving Christ, look at this poo poo. It's a dirty metal dildo. It doesn't look like a top-end apartment building, it looks like the worker barracks for a Martian penal mining colony from an early 2000s sci-fi RTS. To top it off, it shows up all over the place because of how badly the zoning gets chopped up by anything other than a perfect road grid.

Yeah, this building is by far the worst one in the game and looks absolutely hideous. I don't think that it's even built on the correct scale. I wish there was a way to disable default buildings.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

xzzy posted:

The only thing that really bugs me about the graphics in this game is the horrible cubemap they use for reflections. I cannot fathom why they chose some random cityscape to use for reflections instead of a blurry diffuse image.

I keep hoping to spot a mod that swaps the cubemap to show up but haven't come across one yet.

Oh yeah, that's a good point. It makes reflective buildings look messy and hard to read. Which I find is a problem the game has in general actually, to a greater or lesser extent depending on zoom, lighting, and the angle you're viewing from. I think it's a combination of the overall washed-out palette and the style in which individual buildings are designed/textured. They don't pop super-well and the image ends up lacking depth.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

someone mod this in plz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNixDlRoMvA

Molotov Cock Tale
Jun 30, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

Is there a mod that lets you name your roads and streets?

Saw a YouTube video where a guy did this by making a district that was the street. If you zoom in and do it the district brush seems to snap to the road pretty well.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Supraluminal posted:

I'd like nicer buildings to look at, but I'm also super-lazy. Are there any curated mod collections of growables? I don't need a ton of stuff, just a smattering of high-quality additions for some variety. Or failing that, two or three better 2x2 options so I don't have to see giant clusters of this garbage all over the place. I did a quick workshop search but didn't see anything great; are there some hidden gems out there I'm missing?

Simcity 5 buildings are much nicer to look at, that's for sure.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Molotov Cock Tale posted:

Saw a YouTube video where a guy did this by making a district that was the street. If you zoom in and do it the district brush seems to snap to the road pretty well.

You don't even have to be zoomed in a lot, just keep your mouse over the road and you will lock to it. I find looking straight down helps a lot.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mandalay posted:

Simcity 5 buildings are much nicer to look at, that's for sure.

I really like Simcity's art style or whatever and they had a lot of cool concepts. Skylines is great but it would be amazing if putting a stadium down did something other than look pretty. I like that in Simcity there were events and increased traffic for them and things like that. There were definitely solid ideas behind that game.

Too bad the execution was just awful. Aside from all the bugs and the traffic AI just not working that well, aside from the strange things like the Stepford agents filling up houses that change ownership every day, they shot themselves in the foot by trying to appeal to as wide of an audience as possible and putting some insane limits on their game - between the tiny building area and the lack of mod support it's mind boggling.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 13, 2015

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I just experienced a major die off and out-migration of cims in my city- 15k in a city of 80k. Zots started appearing all over, sick cims weren't getting healed, dead bodies and garbage not getting picked up, buildings burning down. It was a disaster. Yet all of my services had very good coverage and overlap, and my road network hadn't changed that much (In fact, I had recently significantly improved the transportation infrastructure.)

So after an inspection, I identified the culprit. I had crossed the streams.

I recently completed my inner city rain transportation, and connected up my oil/ore sectors to the regional rail. Just below my major industrial park, there was a section where the rail lines cross. This is a cardinal sin in Cities Skylines. Suddenly, my cargo and passenger rail began backing up tremendously- my street crossings, which had not been a problem before due to speedy trains, were completely clogged as trains backed up for miles out of the city. This effectively bisected my city as all the major roadways were now split in half, North and South. This resulted in a total collapse of the infrastructure, as service vehicles backed up for miles at rail crossings, and the trains completely ceased to move.

I quickly corrected the rail, and my city bounced back aggressively as soon as the rail system was flowing again (aided by a few new under/overpasses to replace old rail crossings).

Moral of the story: Never cross the streams.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Poizen Jam posted:

I just experienced a major die off and out-migration of cims in my city- 15k in a city of 80k. Zots started appearing all over, sick cims weren't getting healed, dead bodies and garbage not getting picked up, buildings burning down. It was a disaster. Yet all of my services had very good coverage and overlap, and my road network hadn't changed that much (In fact, I had recently significantly improved the transportation infrastructure.)

So after an inspection, I identified the culprit. I had crossed the streams.

I recently completed my inner city rain transportation, and connected up my oil/ore sectors to the regional rail. Just below my major industrial park, there was a section where the rail lines cross. This is a cardinal sin in Cities Skylines. Suddenly, my cargo and passenger rail began backing up tremendously- my street crossings, which had not been a problem before due to speedy trains, were completely clogged as trains backed up for miles out of the city. This effectively bisected my city as all the major roadways were now split in half, North and South. This resulted in a total collapse of the infrastructure, as service vehicles backed up for miles at rail crossings, and the trains completely ceased to move.

I quickly corrected the rail, and my city bounced back aggressively as soon as the rail system was flowing again (aided by a few new under/overpasses to replace old rail crossings).

Moral of the story: Never cross the streams.
Rail crossings at grade? :cmon:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I just recently gave up on my city because the trains were just clogged up like gently caress and I didn't know what to do about it. Didn't cross streams, just tons and tons of industrial areas with their own cargo station for import/export and lack of sufficient rail planning (and signals! SIGNALS!) ended up clogging the entire rail system. I have a save that has dozens and dozens of trains at full stop all trying to maneuver past each other.

Starting over and trying again with a more sane method of rail distribution since in my last one I just added track as needed without thinking too much about it. Don't really feel like trying to redo all the rail in a city with 150,000 people in it.

Are there any good guides for setting up cargo lines? Does it actually matter when people have all those fancy splits and whatever or not? Without signals it seems useless but who knows.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 13, 2015

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Bold Robot posted:

Rail crossings at grade? :cmon:
I made a rule to put crossings at grade where it makes sense for traffic even though there's enough money to just make elevated train lines through everything. This translates into crossings are ok for 2 lane roads outside of industrial areas.

So really its just a bunch of questionably safe level crossings through residential neighborhoods full of families.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
I thought adding a harbor and a railway line to my city would help traffic. But no, it seems like all it does is increase it. I thought the railway would increase the amount of goods into/ out of my industry, but it just seems to create it.

So instead of reducing trucks coming into town from off map, EXTRA trucks are created as well at those spots as well. No, don't drop the goods from the harbor onto interior rails, just drive all over town.

I thought a railway at each industry section should help them transport goods between them, but the trucks just seem to ignore them and clog up my highways. Now, trucks are backed up at my depots and start to disappear.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

captain innocuous posted:

I thought adding a harbor and a railway line to my city would help traffic. But no, it seems like all it does is increase it. I thought the railway would increase the amount of goods into/ out of my industry, but it just seems to create it.

So instead of reducing trucks coming into town from off map, EXTRA trucks are created as well at those spots as well. No, don't drop the goods from the harbor onto interior rails, just drive all over town.

I thought a railway at each industry section should help them transport goods between them, but the trucks just seem to ignore them and clog up my highways. Now, trucks are backed up at my depots and start to disappear.

You have to use your districts to tell the game that industrial trucks are not allowed in non-industrial areas. This will force industries to start using trains and harbors, because those will be the only places besides the industrial areas themselves that they are allowed to go to.

This won't prevent delivery vans from going to your commercial buildings, don't worry.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes, the cargo terminals work a bit weird and take some getting used to.

Like when you put down your first cargo train station you have to be careful because industry seems hardwired to prefer sending freight through that terminal. They'll drive all the way across the map to do this even if they pass right through a commercial area that could use those resources. You'll see the same bump when you add the ship port. I assume this is a hardcoded behavior to make the terminals seem like a useful upgrade to spend money on.

Never really figured out how the game calculates shipments into the city, they just randomly seem to poop out a ton of industrial traffic whenever a train or boat comes into town. It does seem to be related to nearby businesses, like a train station next to nothing but commercial zones will only produce commercial freight shipments. If they're close to pure industry a much higher percentage will be raw materials delivery.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
so I made this unholy mess:

I tried setting priotiy signals but that made stuff worse. so instead I had to put traffic lights on the roundabout. :britain:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Dred_furst posted:

so I made this unholy mess:

I tried setting priotiy signals but that made stuff worse. so instead I had to put traffic lights on the roundabout. :britain:
This is really pretty and relaxing to watch :)

But somebody needs to make a British conversion mod. It pisses me off so much to see people on roundabouts yielding to people trying to enter :mad:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

TACD posted:

But somebody needs to make a British conversion mod. It pisses me off so much to see people on roundabouts yielding to people trying to enter :mad:

They normally don't yield if you set the roundabout up right, I'm actually not too sure what's going on in that gif.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.

TACD posted:

It's also a really huge file size gif that's killing my browser

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My PC is from 2010 and it was midrange then, and handles it just fine :confused:

Here, try this crutch:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gif-jam-animation-stopper/bclnijbemellankmoaafepibbboobalb?hl=en

Edit: how can your PC play Cities: Skylines and have trouble with a 10mb GIF???

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Fish Fry Andy posted:

They normally don't yield if you set the roundabout up right, I'm actually not too sure what's going on in that gif.

It looks like that's after setting up lights inside the roundabout.

I can confirm cars inside the roundabout yielding to cars that want to get in, though. It makes smaller roundabouts a bad idea if you expect a non-trivial amount of traffic.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Hadlock posted:

My PC is from 2010 and it was midrange then, and handles it just fine :confused:

Here, try this crutch:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/gif-jam-animation-stopper/bclnijbemellankmoaafepibbboobalb?hl=en

Edit: how can your PC play Cities: Skylines and have trouble with a 10mb GIF???

I'm watching that .gif on a netbook with no problem, maybe it's more taxing on a literal toaster.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's not cpu speed that causes slow gifs, it's the web browser in use. Some of them are epic poo poo at animated gifs. I think it comes down to not being able to use the video related features to play them but instead having to go through the browser's image processing.

A 10 mb file isn't all that bad (there's much worse out there) but it is above average.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Get ublock, it makes your browser handle gifs and memory in general better as well as functioning as an ad-blocker.

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
If you use firefox, just use gif block. You can turn it on and off as needed.

I like to use it to keep down my bandwidth usage on unnecessary things. There's also the occasional website (well, tumblr) that's just loaded with gifs to the point where it would make any computer chug after enough load.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Get ublock, it makes your browser handle gifs and memory in general better as well as functioning as an ad-blocker.

Seconding UBlock, got it a month or two ago after a discussion in another thread (PYF Gifs maybe?) and Chrome behaves so much better now.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

In Chrome I generally roll with Flashblock, Ghostery, Adblock and Ublock. I think Ublock and Adblock are forked from the same source but hey why not. Now that Youtube has switched over to HTML5 video it's extremely rare that I run in to situations to need enabling flash. Facebook straight up stops working if you have all that poo poo running but it's the only site I've had to whitelist (or just use another browser for FB). With all those plugins and Java uninstalled the attack surface of your PC drops by about half.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The discussion isn't about security though, it's about the lovely obsolete animated gif file format. :v:

Hopefully the forum software gets updated to support webm at some point because it's about a million times better. Smaller file sizes, more color, smoother framerate.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Hadlock posted:

In Chrome I generally roll with Flashblock, Ghostery, Adblock and Ublock. I think Ublock and Adblock are forked from the same source but hey why not. Now that Youtube has switched over to HTML5 video it's extremely rare that I run in to situations to need enabling flash. Facebook straight up stops working if you have all that poo poo running but it's the only site I've had to whitelist (or just use another browser for FB). With all those plugins and Java uninstalled the attack surface of your PC drops by about half.

Adblockers are pretty resource hungry, I'd suggest picking one or the other. (I'm using Adblock, and I never see any ads.)

E: Oh and Google agrees with you on Java, recent Chrome updates disable Java entirely without going into chrome://flags to re-enable NPAPI plugins.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 14, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hadlock posted:

In Chrome I generally roll with Flashblock, Ghostery, Adblock and Ublock.

all at the same time? :catstare:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

bitcoin bastard posted:

Adblockers are pretty resource hungry, I'd suggest picking one or the other. (I'm using Adblock, and I never see any ads.)

Moridin920 posted:

all at the same time? :catstare:
Yep. Why not? It's Twenty-loving-Fifteen, my CPU sits idle 99% of the time and RAM is $5/GB.

I have 12GB ram so resources are almost never an issue (unless I'm playing Cities:Skylines, which due to mods has a memory leak, it looks like? Which is ironic because of the thread this discussion is taking place). I also run a "secure" password generator for throwaway account passwords, chrome to phone, and a chromecast plugin.

However if you're considering an ad blocker, Ublock reportedly uses half the memory (which was the original reason for the fork, I believe)

Bought another 8GB stick on newegg last week for $45 shipped, no reason not to be running with less than 8GB ram in 2015 :feelsgood:

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 14, 2015

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Dred_furst posted:

Which mod did you use to give the roundabout priority? I had good luck with TrafficManager, but had to disable it for Proper Hardness.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
There are a few trains stuck in my city from when I edited track lines- like literally just sitting on grass or clipping through old pieces of track. For whatever reason one of them is causing traffic to back up and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to go away save for building around it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Poizen Jam posted:

There are a few trains stuck in my city from when I edited track lines- like literally just sitting on grass or clipping through old pieces of track. For whatever reason one of them is causing traffic to back up and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to go away save for building around it.

Click on the train, see where it's coming from, delete that building and replace it. That usually works for me.

When you delete the cargo yard that owns/spawned the train it should disappear too.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
So I realized yesterday that there is no real reason to have residential and office zones actually connected to your traffic system. I'm up to about 15k people in a new city where commercial and industrial are on grids connected to the highways but residential/office are on their own grids with no outlet or way in. People either walk from one to the other, take the subway, or somehow carry their cars to the highway and back. There is virtually no traffic on the residential grids though. You have to have separate services on each grid system but they run so effeciently there that you probably need fewer overall, especially on hearses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Efexeye posted:

Anyone else grow out that Beginner City I posted? Here's mine at 100k: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=441787473

Still lots to unfuck, and plenty of money to do it with :)

Thanks for this, I hate rebuilding from scratch so this will be fun.