Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

What M3?
:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Speaking about wheels, how easy is it to hook up a xbox wheel to the pc and get it working? the old big white one with awesome FFB.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Keket posted:

Speaking about wheels, how easy is it to hook up a xbox wheel to the pc and get it working? the old big white one with awesome FFB.

It'll connect up just fine to the Xbox Wireless Adapter thingies, but it appears as a normal Xbox controller as far as games are concerned so you won't get proper FFB, just half-assed rumble.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Boo :( are there any cheap FFB PC wheels?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Keket posted:

Boo :( are there any cheap FFB PC wheels?

Logitech driving force gt on ebay as cheap as you can.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

If you want to go cheaper you could look for the Logitech Momo wheels, but the DFGT is a better value for the money.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Speaking of the DFGT, the one I bought off of Ohsh is about to be sold to a friend of mine.

Its third owner in as many years.

My only complaint about the DFGT is how loud the FFB is.

EDIT: though tbh I didn't realize how loud it was until I got a G27

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 13, 2015

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Kilonum posted:

Speaking of the DFGT, the one I bought off of Ohsh is about to be sold to a friend of mine.

That's saying something because the g27 is loud

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kilonum posted:

…and the G27 can be really noisy at times.

e:f;b

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
dfgt is straight cut gears compared to the g27's helical cut iirc.

edit: ask me about how i sent off a g27 to a friend because i forgot i bought it on newegg, and then when i remembered and asked him about it he already had spraypainted it neon green lmao

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

That must be loud as gently caress then. The g27 isn't a quiet piece of hardware.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

GutBomb posted:

That's saying something because the g27 is loud

You say that like you sold your G27 to me

Oh wait

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005
the Momo is good for open wheel cars and karts due to the limited rotation, if you want to run road and touring cars the DFGT is as cheap as you can get

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Really, only thing i like about the DFGT over the G27 is the number of buttons on the wheel itself

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Kilonum posted:

Really, only thing i like about the DFGT over the G27 is the number of buttons on the wheel itself

:agreed:

also use sound proof headphones vOv

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

OhsH posted:

dfgt is straight cut gears compared to the g27's helical cut iirc.

edit: ask me about how i sent off a g27 to a friend because i forgot i bought it on newegg, and then when i remembered and asked him about it he already had spraypainted it neon green lmao

Your friend spray paints everything he receives?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Your friend spray paints everything he receives?

i aint gonna knock a man's proclivities, ok.

edit: i should probably say that i sent it to him because i coulda sworn i ebay'd it and it wasn't working and he wanted to fix it so i gave it to him if he paid the shipping, no idea if he ever fixed it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

OhsH posted:

made you and a few others promoted in the league so you can make seasons and poo poo, also feel free to promote whoever is active and stuff :V

Sweet, thanks! I set up a new rally following the usual format.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I'm convinced I have the only whisper quiet G27. I've never noticed its noise.

Then again, sometimes I can still hear my old MOMO in my dreams. Christ, that thing was loud.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Jehde posted:

Sweet, thanks! I set up a new rally following the usual format.

Just finished it at around 24 mins, was pretty fun, except for stage 3...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXICahQ0CkI

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

SealHammer posted:

Also, the M3 is a trash car

This is an objectively incorrect opinion. The E30 M3 is one of the greatest cars ever produced.

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.

Keket posted:

Just finished it at around 24 mins, was pretty fun, except for stage 3...

I was wondering why I slammed your time so hard when I made as many mistakes as I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=147zQWFAr9A

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

That feel when you get 29th globally on a stage in Group A, AND you did two barrel rolls http://www.twitch.tv/sneakyness_912/b/658658947?t=48s

The second off I had seems like more of a shortcut in retrospect

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Not feeling it today :smith:

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
In Dirt Rally I went from the 1960 Lancia FWD to the 1970 Lancia RWD, finally, and jesus christ I've lost all ability to drive. I spin out constantly even when driving so slow that I'm 2+ minutes behind 1st. Is there a trick to this or am I just a poo poo driver?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
It's not just you. It's a tough car, even for RWD. You've just got to go really easy on the throttle. In a way, it's the opposite of driving FWD: instead of being on the gas all the time, you've got to be much more careful and selective of when you put the hammer down.

GarethIW
Feb 25, 2003

The internet destroyed me, but I forgave it
Haha, I was the only Dirtygoon to choose the MkII over the Stratos. Not bottom though, which is an improvement!

alr
May 14, 2009

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

In Dirt Rally I went from the 1960 Lancia FWD to the 1970 Lancia RWD, finally, and jesus christ I've lost all ability to drive. I spin out constantly even when driving so slow that I'm 2+ minutes behind 1st. Is there a trick to this or am I just a poo poo driver?

The devs of Dirt Rally posted a video of an actual rally driver playing (Kevin Abbring, was smashing the daily challenges)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnPuk2ECaIQ

That car was an E30 M3 so RWD but the next tier up, you can hear how he's either giving it only a little bit of throttle or letting it coast through a lot of corners. I normally like RWD cars in games but I've been avoiding them in this because I feel so slow even when I'm keeping up with the top spots with how gentle you need to be.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

The Stratos is probably the most difficult car in the game currently. While the 60's cars are slippery as hell, they're also so slow that keeping them on the road isn't too difficult. Stratos is both slippery and fast, and actively tries to murder you.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I think Randall Munroe just told me to build a simulator cockpit.

Who am I to argue?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Installed DiRT Rally. Playing with a controller, awesome game.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KillHour posted:

I think Randall Munroe just told me to build a simulator cockpit.

Who am I to argue?

The 8 ball has spoken. Do it. You won't regret it as long as you have the space (roughly 2 feet x 6 feet).

Here's my two as they currently sit, even the ghetto one (built without any real plans while drunk) is a million times better than rigging a wheel to a desk and trying not to push your chair backwards.

Anyone who raced with me back on Forza 4 probably heard the ghetto one creaking around under the load of the Fanatec force feedback over voice chat. My shifter was mounted to that bit of plywood sticking up and flapped around a lot too, so the fancy one (built from Ricmotech plans) is a lot nicer for that.

I have the parts to build another of the nice ones and will probably be moving things around so the kegerator sits between them whenever I get around to building it. Who doesn't want draft beer within reach while racing?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

wolrah posted:

The 8 ball has spoken. Do it. You won't regret it as long as you have the space (roughly 2 feet x 6 feet).

Here's my two as they currently sit, even the ghetto one (built without any real plans while drunk) is a million times better than rigging a wheel to a desk and trying not to push your chair backwards.

Anyone who raced with me back on Forza 4 probably heard the ghetto one creaking around under the load of the Fanatec force feedback over voice chat. My shifter was mounted to that bit of plywood sticking up and flapped around a lot too, so the fancy one (built from Ricmotech plans) is a lot nicer for that.

I have the parts to build another of the nice ones and will probably be moving things around so the kegerator sits between them whenever I get around to building it. Who doesn't want draft beer within reach while racing?

I live alone in a 5 bedroom, 2400 sq ft house. I have enough space to build 10 of them and forget they're there. I just don't have the money right now (mostly because of the aforementioned house :downs:).

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

^ If you live in LA I'm willing to move in and start some sort of rally racing cult

I just snagged #20th globally in the daily

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

^ If you live in LA I'm willing to move in and start some sort of rally racing cult

I just snagged #20th globally in the daily

My head hurts just thinking about how much my house would cost in LA.

If you're willing to move to Buffalo, you can live with me.

I'm not joking.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

KillHour posted:

I live alone in a 5 bedroom, 2400 sq ft house. I have enough space to build 10 of them and forget they're there. I just don't have the money right now (mostly because of the aforementioned house :downs:).

They're really not that expensive.

The ghetto one pictured was built out of like five scrap 2x4s I found in my garage, I think the nice one ended up being about $60 worth of parts and whatever the plans cost me (though there are also plenty of open plans on the internet, I just liked how this one looked). Both seats are from the local pull-a-part and cost $25 a piece. You can build one without a display stand and just slide it in front of your TV when you want to use it, or put a platform on it that you can set a PC monitor on, whatever makes more sense.

Oh, I just realized you were probably talking about the wheel. Yeah, that's going to be a few hundred bucks new for anything worth having, though the used market might not be too bad.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

KillHour posted:

I have no reason to move to Buffalo but I will keep that in mind lol

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I have a wheel, but I'd want to build a motion rig, because I'm insane. Also, I want better pedals than the cheap ones that came with my Fanatec Carrara wheel.

I LIKE TO SMOKE WEE posted:

I have no reason to move to Buffalo but I will keep that in mind lol

We don't have traffic, which is all the reason you need. :colbert:

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

KillHour posted:

We don't have traffic, which is all the reason you need. :colbert:

As a Jamestownian, I have anal / mental issues keeping tabs on traffic surrounding me even in Buffalo's urban-easy-mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

KillHour posted:

I'm not joking.

Do you really want a Goon in your house?

• Locked thread