Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Jay Carney posted:

Specifically ESPN bought 538 so it could be stashed away for ABC news which has a much smaller budget. They thought they could get more content out of them I guess but it's going to be big for the elections. 538 will voltron up with the abc internal polling unit and in all likelihood be super wrong when Ben Carson wins it all or something.

Nate Silver has been a famous internet statistics man for nearly as long as Simmons has been a famous sports personality. He did almost as well projecting the 2008 election as 2012, and will likely do similarly in 2016 because the statistical modeling he's doing isn't that crazy and wacky in the political spectrum, it's just accessible, visually friendly, and he's a decent writer and not buried in political statistics academia. Yes, they'll probably clean up in 2016 because it's gonna be a crazy poo poo show. Whiny or no, complaints about the UK polling have merit because he's never been creating his own data, just weighing and modeling polls.

The stumble with 538 is that there are a whole bunch more people than Nate Silver writing for it, he can't vet everything, and they thought "Hey people are into factual data reporting now" and slapping graphs on poo poo would find a huge audience. Turns out people don't care as much about the relative percentage of houses that have lead paint in Baltimore as they do about the presidential election.

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Isn't there a Grantland Basketbal Hour scheduled for tonight?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

Isn't there a Grantland Basketbal Hour scheduled for tonight?

If there was, it isn't on their schedule anymore.

Edit: Apparently "canceled due to playoff double-header on TNT."

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
Bill Plaschke: Correllation is Causation and Tom Brady = Barry Bonds, Lance Armstrong

Tl,Dr: Ol' Bill here thinks (or at least, wants the reader to think) that because of Deflategate, Tom Brady's success is all a lie and he's been cheating since at least 2006, since he was on a player committee that lobbied to change the rule on who provides the footballs, and then went on to become the best QB in the league for 8 seasons.

Evidently, if you ain't cheatin, you're writing bad articles about cheaters.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
If that's what it takes to become an elite quarterback, then people should be mad that their team WASN'T doing it.

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

I am kind of surprised they haven't decided to look into his U of M time and vacate a bowl win and some records. To assume this all just started at 2006 is clearly just putting the blinders on.

Someone find Lloyd Carr.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Simmons found out along with the rest of us.

quote:

ESPN President John Skipper on Bill Simmons: "It Was Business"

by Marisa Guthrie 5/12/2015 7:56am PDT

The chatter at ESPN's upfront presentation Tuesday morning centered on Bill Simmons, conspicuously absent since ESPN president John Skipper abruptly announced Friday that he would not renew Simmons' contract.

"It was business," Skipper said in a post-upfront scrum with reporters, adding that his decision does "not detract from the appreciation I have for Bill Simmons."

Skipper characterized Simmons as is a "brilliant" writer and editor who delivered "tremendous value" to ESPN. But in the end, he said, it came down "what he wants to do and what we want to do ...and deciding if it's going to be a match. And we decided that ultimately, [it] wouldn't be."

Skipper would not say exactly why talks broke down — last March he told The Hollywood Reporter that he intended to renew Simmons' deal — but he did admit that the impasse was not about money. "We're a big company. If it was just dollars and cents, we would have figured something out."

And he admitted that Simmons did indeed find out that his career at ESPN was ending when the New York Times tweeted its story about Skipper deciding not to renew Simmons' contract.

Skipper would not comment on whether the network's lawyers are now negotiating an exit agreement with Simmons. But he asserted: "All is cordial," adding that he hopes that "all parties" will avoid a "public fracas."

"I want to be definitive about that," said Skipper. "This was my decision. Bob and Bill have been friends, and Bob is an admirer of what Bill does. And I don't do anything like this without telling Mr. Iger. But he's put it long ago on me [to make personnel decisions]."

Simmons has always been close to Skipper, who was a reliable defender even before Skipper took over as president of ESPN in 2011 from the more buttoned up George Bodenheimer. But sources say their relationship has frayed in recent months. Still, Skipper's surprise announcement left Simmons "reeling," another source close to Simmons told THR. In fact, the day before his interview with The Times, Skipper had a business call with Simmons' agent James Dixon, never betraying that anything was amiss.

It's unclear what Simmons will do next. His strengths hew toward blogging, writing and social media rather than broadcasting or color analysis. So his next move is likely to be in the digital arena, though a television component would not be unusual. Simmons has maintained a friendship with former ESPN executive Jamie Horowitz, who next week takes over as head of programming for Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2. Turner Sports also is focused on its digital assets, which include Bleacher Report.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/espn-president-john-skipper-bill-794981

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby
Clearly him being drafted 199th overall is the sign of a greater conspiracy.

199 / 6 <- the round in which he was drafted in
= 33.17

.17 is Bill Belichick's favorite number.

33.17 / 13 <- the median PSI of a properly inflated NFL football
=2.51

2.51 is the amount of pressure Brady did-or-did-not observe to be missing from the footballs

13 - 1 <- The number of times Tom's been caught cheating
=12

12 is Tom Brady's number

THE NFL IS A LIEEEEEEE

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Sorry that Tom Brady is a cheater

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If you're going to argue about that dumb story do so in the assume very dumb TFF thread, thanks.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

The Casualty posted:

Clearly him being drafted 199th overall is the sign of a greater conspiracy.

199 / 6 <- the round in which he was drafted in
= 33.17

.17 is Bill Belichick's favorite number.

33.17 / 13 <- the median PSI of a properly inflated NFL football
=2.51

2.51 is the amount of pressure Brady did-or-did-not observe to be missing from the footballs

13 - 1 <- The number of times Tom's been caught cheating
=12

12 is Tom Brady's number

THE NFL IS A LIEEEEEEE

12 divided by the number of Super Bowl wins 4, 12/4 = 3

Half-Life 3 confirmed

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Since someone brought up Deadspin acted petty and jilted towards Simmons, they put out yet another article about him today. For someone they seem to think is a lovely writer and personality they sure devote an awful lot of page space to the guy.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
He can be both a bad writer and a big story.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
538 seemingly spent a decent amount of money trying to find the best burrito in America using goofy metrics and all it did was piss everyone off.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Deadspin writers get paid based off page view I believe and I'm sure they get a lot every time they mention Bill Simmons. His firing was all over CNN and Bloomberg last week so it seems like it's a pretty big deal even outside the sports community.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
The New York Times sent a breaking news alert to my phone about Simmons and I wanted to die.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Akileese posted:

Since someone brought up Deadspin acted petty and jilted towards Simmons, they put out yet another article about him today. For someone they seem to think is a lovely writer and personality they sure devote an awful lot of page space to the guy.

Simmons himself made his name going after people who are lovely at their jobs. See KAAAAHN, Isiah Thomas as GM of the knicks, Doc before KG arrived and his feuds with Keith Olbermann, Charlie Pierce, Mike and Mike, and WEEI.

In any case, if this is the story you are referring to:

http://deadspin.com/how-to-employ-bill-simmons-1703224603

I think that while it comes across as a bit too petty at times, it does a good job of providing the numbers related to discussion we had last page.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

joepinetree posted:

Simmons himself made his name going after people who are lovely at their jobs. See KAAAAHN, Isiah Thomas as GM of the knicks, Doc before KG arrived and his feuds with Keith Olbermann, Charlie Pierce, Mike and Mike, and WEEI.

In any case, if this is the story you are referring to:

http://deadspin.com/how-to-employ-bill-simmons-1703224603

I think that while it comes across as a bit too petty at times, it does a good job of providing the numbers related to discussion we had last page.

I think it's pretty much like every other Deadspin hit piece on Simmons. It's petty and juvenile, but also manages to make a few good points along the way.

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

MourningView posted:

If you're going to argue about that dumb story do so in the assume very dumb TFF thread, thanks.

This is the journalism thread, I was pointing out a dumb article. I don't give two shits about Deflategate, but I do think this plot twist is pretty funny.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

12 divided by the number of Super Bowl wins 4, 12/4 = 3

Half-Life 3 confirmed

:aaaaa:

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

The coolest thing Nate Silver ever did was using Benford's Law to prove that Strategic Vision's polls were fraudulent. They are out of the polling business now.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Badfinger posted:

Boston sports being an absolute powerhouse for the last decade plus is extremely bad for him in his writing, because instead of sad douche he's now incredibly entitled douche. Putting so much into showing who you are as a person through the writing is what made him, but also hurts him badly.

This hits the nail on the head. The better the Boston teams do, the less I want to be exposed to him.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Cruel and Unusual posted:

The coolest thing Nate Silver ever did was using Benford's Law to prove that Strategic Vision's polls were fraudulent. They are out of the polling business now.

Benford's law just deserves more publicity period.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp

soggybagel posted:

538 seemingly spent a decent amount of money trying to find the best burrito in America using goofy metrics and all it did was piss everyone off.

that's one of Nate Silver's original gangsta projects so it's totally unsurprising that 538 finished it and that people didn't quite get it and got mad

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i actually think the upshot is very well written, which makes me wonder how much good editing silver had at the times

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006

Whiny baby

Parody Threads posted:

that's one of Nate Silver's original gangsta projects so it's totally unsurprising that 538 finished it and that people didn't quite get it and got mad

I just got mad because the candidates weren't even the greatest burritos in their respective cities, let alone the best in the country. But then again, it's food, so it's all subjective.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

i guess BS is really done at ESPN.

He should have put out like 3 BS Reports by now.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Yep, no more appearances of any kind for Simmons at ESPN

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2015/05/15/bill-simmons-done-espn-grantland-john-skipper?xid=si_social

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Skipper posted:

It’s going to be better for us to talk to each other and not go to the press.

No it's not, Bill. Go tell the TV how you feel about this.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Man, ESPN loving took him out harsh.

Geno
Apr 26, 2004
STUPID
DICK
i'm already feeling Simmons withdrawals urgh

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I would have been upset about this 5 years ago, but the Boston homer schtick got old a while ago.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

FistEnergy posted:

I would have been upset about this 5 years ago, but the Boston homer schtick got old a while ago.

I think generally the fear is Grantland will go to poo poo.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Actually, we're missing out on a 15,000 word Boston homer rant comparing the Brady suspension to Andy Dufresne and I would unironically enjoy it because the best part of Bill Simmons columns is reading them, basking in the terrible simmonsness of all of them while being incredulous.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Geno posted:

i'm already feeling Simmons withdrawals urgh

I want to see his reactions about deflategate and the Clippers blowing a 19 point lead in the 4th. Ugh just ugh.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Every day I say a prayer that an e-mail leaks from Goodell to Skipper demanding Simmons be fired.

Alain Post posted:

I want to see his reactions about deflategate and the Clippers blowing a 19 point lead in the 4th. Ugh just ugh.

Me too. I didn't think I would miss him that much, but I do!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Bill's goodbye e-mail:

quote:

Wanted to tell you that it looks like I am done being involved with Grantland. Can’t say much here for obvious reasons, at least for now—I know you understand. In the short-term—don’t let this bullshit affect you. Just keep doing what you’re doing. It’s a job. We tried to make it feel like it was more than a job these last four years, but right now, it’s still a job and Grantland is still being consumed and judged by the general public (with unusually high standards, too). So keep the quality of your work as high as it’s always been. Work situations are rarely going to be perfect and you can’t allow it to affect what you’re doing. The best way to “respond” right now is to keep putting out a great site. If you didn’t know, April was our best month—we passed 10 million uniques without chasing traffic and without any leading-the-site promotion whatsoever from ESPN.com (just one Mets piece for like 90 minutes, that’s it). We built an audience because of quality and quality only. You guys should feel good about that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
10 million unique visitors isn't bad considering the average user probably sticks around for a long time.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Grantland does really good traffic for a long form niche website that isn't SEO/social media driven

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

straight up brolic posted:

Grantland does really good traffic for a long form niche website that isn't SEO/social media driven

The problem becomes turning that traffic into a profit without Bill Barnwell breaking down the statistical value of a Subway sandwich or something stupid like that.