Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

After HW launches and you hit 50, knowing that there's this really cool poo poo that your friends are already doing but you're stuck pray returning to the Rising Stones for the 50th time is probably gonna be a bummer

Like, I get why they want you to do the story before you get into HW, and I'm fine with that, but especially in the post 2.0 story you can seriously cut out of half of that bullshit and lose absolutely nothing, there's really no need to defend it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I really hope they let us skip all the HW main story quests. I mean Yoshi-P said they were gonna make it as long as ARR and that took a long time and I just want to get to the fun part where all my friends are.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

That's not even close to the same thing, but pat yourself on the back for the sick burn I guess?

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Do you think, that next week we will get some information about what the long term plans with the class/job systems are? This extra job talk is weird.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Red Red Blue posted:

After HW launches and you hit 50, knowing that there's this really cool poo poo that your friends are already doing but you're stuck pray returning to the Rising Stones for the 50th time is probably gonna be a bummer

Like, I get why they want you to do the story before you get into HW, and I'm fine with that, but especially in the post 2.0 story you can seriously cut out of half of that bullshit and lose absolutely nothing, there's really no need to defend it

No, but you see, my immersion Yoshi's VISION also new players are too dumb to know it's bad as they play it so gently caress them or something.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

I was a newbie once. I played very briefly during the 2.0 beta and thought "wow, this game is loving bad" because the quests in this game are really dull and that's all you're doing for the first 15 levels. It wasn't someone whining who ruined it for me, because I had no exposure to the game beyond a friend saying I should give it a shot. It took arm twisting by a second friend to try it again and stick it out to 15, where it got a lot better because instances in this game are infinitely more entertaining than running laps around the game world, and things sort of went on from there.

I get that exact same feeling every patch now that I'm 50. It's not a huge deal because it's in small chunks, but I'm not exactly thrilled to spend an evening doing laps around the world alternating between delivering poo poo and fighting a few undertuned fights before finally getting a new dungeon or trial. It's not game-ruining - more like a dull level in an otherwise good game - but it's still a flaw. Saying "wow this has got to suck to run all at once, maybe remove some of the duller quests" isn't the same as "newbies are going to quit in droves from this garbage game".

I still play the game and I'm excited for Heavensward, and like I said before I don't have any huge objections to locking the new classes behind level 50 or whatever, but I can't blame someone for thinking quests are dull. Even people who love the game say "pray return to the waking sands" :v:

KoB
May 1, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

I highly doubt that they will lock levels past 50 for the 2.x storyline, other than behind an expansion purpose. Where are you getting this from?

They confirmed the opposite in fact. Level 60 wont be locked to story in any way and is available from the word go.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!
Yeah I'd be interedted in seeing where it's been said that you'll be level-locked at 50 while completing the 2.1-2.55 stories. That would be legitimately lovely, but also incredibly unlikely.

And the actual argument here is getting muddled. Is this about the new Jobs being locked behind Ishgard or about perfuming chocobos to reach Ishgard?

I would personally support the removal of some of the more monotonous fetch quests in 2.x to get people to expansion content more quickly - just like I'd support some amount of new job access before reaching the HW story.

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.
So I'm just playing this again after my first month and I got through world of darkness thanks to a friends help of telling me how to get a good ilvl quick and basically taking me through these through the buddy system.

What I absolutely love though is the game keeps trying to do these dramatic things with intracate plot details completely ignoring the fact that I just went through 'circus tower' and got a sad clown mask.

"We did the thing but we need to do the other thing!" "blah blah blah!" *cue shot to lalafell taking a nap in a sad clown mask*

I might glamour this instead of the skull eye patch I had planned because this poo poo is too funny.

Maus
Apr 15, 2010

VAC ban(s) on record.
I spoke with a couple friends who unsubbed between 2.1 and 2.2 recently. Out of four of them, the first thing that three asked about was how much story content they'd have to get through before the expansion, and I think two of them are going to be hard to convince to come back because of it. Maybe my friends are weird, but it's funny coming here and seeing people posting so aggressively about "pretending to care about newbies" and acting like anyone saying this stuff is coming up with it out of nowhere when its a concern that I've heard, unprompted, from a majority of the people I know who are considering coming back.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
I love this thread.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

KoB posted:

They confirmed the opposite in fact. Level 60 wont be locked to story in any way and is available from the word go.

Have fun grinding N than fates to go from 50-60 then or something.

Also I heard dungeons aren't locked behind story quests in HW like they have been in every single case up to this point. Oh, wait.

Vahalla posted:

I would personally support the removal of some of the more monotonous fetch quests in 2.x to get people to expansion content more quickly - just like I'd support some amount of new job access before reaching the HW story.

Then you actually agree with me.

Also, even though the classes are ishgardian, did they actually say you need to go to ishgard to get them? If so, lol.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

rock2much posted:

When do I know it's time to change all my bonus points from VIT to STR as a WAR?

When you start leveling MRD. :black101:

DizzyBum posted:

Finally have FFXIV installed on my new rig, and it's so great to be able to walk around Mor Dhona at a constant 40+ FPS with maxed-out settings. :allears:

Can't wait to see how this handles an Odin FATE.

You should be fine because the game's only going to show a finite number of characters and effects even if there's 500 people present. If you really want to stress test it you need to just make sure you're at the steps when 3.0 hits since there's going to be a solid mass of people there.

Truga posted:

No, but really, someone will have to get to level 50 to access new content any way you spin this, because the new areas will be level 50+. I don't see how any of this makes a difference?

It's like complaining you can't access level 20 content as a level 8 character in baldur's gate.

Only because the content doesn't exist in Baldur's Gate. :eng101:

In BG2 I went straight to watcher's keeper after I did a quick detour to pick up Carsomyr and started clearing the place out at level 8-10. I cheesed the everloving gently caress out of the one seal fight right before Demogorgon too since my gnome illusionist could insta-cast cloudkill so I could open doors, cast it, and close the door before the enemies could react to move in to the room. Once the ones not 100% magic immune were dead I buffed up and went out and cleaned up the rest.

Then I realized the true power of skull trap and the thief trap skill. Demogorgon never stood a chance. :rolldice:

sword_man.gif posted:

also because a lot of the story content at 50 just isn't very good, a bunch of back and forth and listening to alphinaud, master of "i'm going to use six paragraphs when two sentences would have worked just fine"

you remember doing snowcloak for the first time but you don't remember alphinaud dragging you to each city making you run around and talk to people scattered within while he "converses with the leaders"

for every good engaging part there's about five parts where you're listening to that longmouthed gently caress blather on about whatever or reporting back to minfilia to watch her place a phone call

The worst part was the lead up to Leviathan. That poo poo was titan-grade tedious bullshit.

rock2much posted:

I've been 50 forever but I really like having over 10K HP :(
I'm i112, looking to get the poetics axe after work today. I'll also switch from VIT to STR today. Woo!

If you get full ironworks/demon gear so you're only using i120 or better you'll still be over 10k hp in defiance, even when using some slaying accessories. The upgraded ironworks axe is also your best weapon unless you do the full relic chain.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Do you think, that next week we will get some information about what the long term plans with the class/job systems are? This extra job talk is weird.

I really hope so. It's amazing how tight-lipped they've been about the expansion. If this was WOW we'd already know literally everything about it, and we'd already have world first clears of the raid content on the PTR. It's kind of nice (June 19th is going to feel like Christmas), but also kind of frustrating.

AnEndcat
Mar 21, 2013

Wouldn't the only real hard-gating be the ilvl requirements of the trials? Have they said whether they're going to make another way to get 100 gear, keep soldiery/poetics around or make people grind the last six dungeons?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

AnEndcat posted:

Wouldn't the only real hard-gating be the ilvl requirements of the trials? Have they said whether they're going to make another way to get 100 gear, keep soldiery/poetics around or make people grind the last six dungeons?

Hopefully they'd just buff the poo poo out of AF and the initial relic so that you can do all of it without having to grind anything and it would just be a matter of clearing content. But who knows, :iiam:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I don't think anyone is actually against cutting out the crap parts. I am, in fact, all for it.

If it were up to me, I'd also cut out the whole wine bullshit part before going at titan, and shorten the strolling around coearthas to find the loving airship to 2-3 quests, instead of spending aeons tracking down that lovely inquisitor, both of which are achieved by going from one end of the map to the other 47 times. I didn't like those parts at all. But, I also think complaining about it in here, of all places, is silly.

Vahalla posted:

Yeah I'd be interedted in seeing where it's been said that you'll be level-locked at 50 while completing the 2.1-2.55 stories. That would be legitimately lovely, but also incredibly unlikely.

And the actual argument here is getting muddled. Is this about the new Jobs being locked behind Ishgard or about perfuming chocobos to reach Ishgard?

Considering currently you get synced to 49 in AV and level 45 solo instances, I'd say max 52 dungeons and 54 in solo instances is certainly a possibility. Don't see how they'd sync you in overworld content though, unless it's all fate quests? :ohdear:

Maus posted:

I spoke with a couple friends who unsubbed between 2.1 and 2.2 recently. Out of four of them, the first thing that three asked about was how much story content they'd have to get through before the expansion, and I think two of them are going to be hard to convince to come back because of it.

Then again, maybe I just don't get the mentality. Having tons of new content available to me *before* I even have to spend $40 on a new expansion? Why yes, thank you, I'll take it.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Only because the content doesn't exist in Baldur's Gate. :eng101:

Yeah, BG2, as every d&d ruleset game that goes into the teen levels can be broken about as well as disgaea games with the correct skills :v:

And even before that, you can make do if the right things are present.

Truga fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 13, 2015

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Sup Exodus goons.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Have fun grinding N than fates to go from 50-60 then or something.

Also I heard dungeons aren't locked behind story quests in HW like they have been in every single case up to this point. Oh, wait.

Also, even though the classes are ishgardian, did they actually say you need to go to ishgard to get them? If so, lol.

Okay, look, I agree with editing down the 2.x storyline and everything, but you are being Balzac levels of annoying here.

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Yep. The increasingly hyperbolic posts from people on both sides of the argument are deeply amusing. I just naturally lean towards "less trimming down and job access" than "remove all the poo poo quests and full access to new jobs" because I have always had an overly cautious view on appeasing new players over old. At what point does fast tracking newbies alienate your reliable playerbase?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Truga posted:

Then again, maybe I just don't get the mentality. Having tons of new content available to me *before* I even have to spend $40 on a new expansion? Why yes, thank you, I'll take it.

Maybe I can help with this at least. Replace "content" with "dungeons, bosses, and things to do with friends" and you're closer to how the rest of us think of the game. We've known for a long time that most MMO players only vaguely give a poo poo about the story at best in most MMOs. FFXIV may be a black sheep with more users caring more about the story than average, but when the baseline for people who give a poo poo about wow's story is like 2% of the population it's not a hard bar to beat.

Also even among those of you who care about the story, who actually gives a poo poo whether minfilia is alive or dead? Or any of the scions? Or anyone who isn't hildibrand?

Here's a happy middle ground: the story about HW actually revolves around Hildibrand, the scions and ascians and all that stuff is gone. In order to go to HW you need to finish the Hildy quests.

E:

Unlucky7 posted:

Okay, look, I agree with editing down the 2.x storyline and everything, but you are being Balzac levels of annoying here.

Maybe senpai will notice me now.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Since 2.1 there have been 12 new dungeons, 6? new trials and 4 new raids though? And level sync was in this game last time I looked, so it's not like you can't do them with friends who have the expansion?

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Truga posted:

Since 2.1 there have been 12 new dungeons, 6? new trials and 4 new raids though? And level sync was in this game last time I looked, so it's not like you can't do them with friends who have the expansion?

Yeah, and that's the cool stuff. There will also be a nice pile of things to do in HW that you can't do until you do your chores. Do we know how many dungeons they're adding in yet?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Less than what they've added between 2.0 and 2.55. They said the amount of content 3.0 adds is about the same as the amount of content that was in 2.0 when that released, and there's more instances in the patches than the total available in the 2.0 release so :v:

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I'm against cutting out the filler because I didn't know you could jump on that large-rear end pipe at the North Thanalan Ceruleum Plant until I did it for a quest.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Stop replying to these people. Play ARR and get ready for HW. Deal with it.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Maybe try to actually understand the argument you're making fun of? It would at the very least be more entertaining than the people making GBS threads on anything that impunes their pristine perfect waifu mmo game. We're not talking about hundreds of hours or even the leveling experience. We're talking about maybe 10 hours of absolute fluff that you can't get to until 50 and is required before you can go to 51. It's not hard to truncate what's there and make it actually better, because editing is a thing that exists and is shockingly widely used to make stories better by cutting out the crap.

I quoted someone who literally wrote "hundreds of hours of cutscenes", you dumb git. If they weren't referring to the whole story and related quests, what the hell adds up to hundreds of hours?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I think people worried about newbies not wanting to do content are probably incorrect. Newbies are new, they just want to do things! They aren't really going to care what it is, everything will be magical anyhow. Returning players on the other hand, will probably not be too thrilled.

The jobs being locked to post 50 content is pretty not cool. If I bought an expansion with the specific desire to play a class and then couldn't until I had done over 100 hours of the game as some other class, I would not buy the game. If it was level 30, sure ok fine. That's maybe 20 hours of gameplay and I would getting useful cross class skills.

None of this really matters to me personally, I don't think any of my rl friends who are lapsed have any interest in returning regardless.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I'll tell you what man, I'm doing the main story right now and it has a lot of boring rear end quests like "deliver coffee to some guys." I think I might almost prefer standing in one spot and killing monsters over and over to that. I hope once I get to 50 the main scenario quests get better, because so far most of them suck.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

When you start leveling MRD. :black101:

If you get full ironworks/demon gear so you're only using i120 or better you'll still be over 10k hp in defiance, even when using some slaying accessories. The upgraded ironworks axe is also your best weapon unless you do the full relic chain.
I'm (still) at the part of the relic chain where I need Alexandrites. Currently at like 45/75. Wondering if the full relic is something I can complete in 2-3hr daily sessions w/o losing my mind or do I just say gently caress it and wait for the expansion axe to drop.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'll tell you what man, I'm doing the main story right now and it has a lot of boring rear end quests like "deliver coffee to some guys." I think I might almost prefer standing in one spot and killing monsters over and over to that. I hope once I get to 50 the main scenario quests get better, because so far most of them suck.

A lot of the dungeons and trials you do at 50 are really cool, the filler in between them somehow feels worse than it does pre-50

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

I think people worried about newbies not wanting to do content are probably incorrect. Newbies are new, they just want to do things! They aren't really going to care what it is, everything will be magical anyhow. Returning players on the other hand, will probably not be too thrilled.

The jobs being locked to post 50 content is pretty not cool. If I bought an expansion with the specific desire to play a class and then couldn't until I had done over 100 hours of the game as some other class, I would not buy the game. If it was level 30, sure ok fine. That's maybe 20 hours of gameplay and I would getting useful cross class skills.

None of this really matters to me personally, I don't think any of my rl friends who are lapsed have any interest in returning regardless.

We've got anecdotal evidence that both new players love and hate the story quests, so they pretty much cancel out. All that's left is whether you think rubbing perfume on a chocobo's butt is compelling gameplay that players will love or whether you think new players aren't too dumb to notice that what they're doing is a lot of fetch and chore quests between the stuff that they like to do, i.e. primals and trials and dungeons.

I don't think we have anything solid about whether the new classes are unlocked in ishgard or at level 30, so all we can really say about that is what we think it should be. I don't think anyone would really care if they unlocked at 30, the same as when you would unlock every other job, but unlocking at 50 after the story quest would turn off a lot of potential players who might want to jump in for the expansion.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gammatron 64 posted:

Teaming up with random people and killing monsters over and over in one spot was actually something I enjoyed a lot more over the dumb and repeated errands they have you do in every MMO made.

So I managed to get into Excalibur but I'm kinda on the fence about buying this game, one reason being above. I enjoy PvP so what's it like in this game? It's probably going to be the selling point for me now. Also after creating a character can you customize them any after that? Because that will probably be another factor.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Red Red Blue posted:

Maybe but they also haven't been playing the game so :confused:

Like the two basic situations when onboarding a friend is everyone plays and they're new, in which case everyone is generally happy to help them out or run them through story instances and dungeons and give them advice. They're probably a bit anxious to catch up with everyone, but on some level they know they started later so they have to catch up, and their friends are there for them to help them do so. I'm sure some people get really impatient and whine about it a lot anyway but they'll either eventually catch up or the game isn't grabbing them and they're looking for an excuse to quit anyway. The other is what I'm experiencing where a bunch of people started playing at once together and they're moseying around, having a great time, levelling other classes while waiting for everyone else to catch up, running dungeons together. I talk about what I'm doing and how I rocketed ahead so quickly (beyond skipping cutscenes, lol) but they haven't seen endgame and it doesn't make a lot of sense to them and there's no sense of urgency to catch up to me.

Anita Dickinme posted:

Teaming up with random people and killing monsters over and over in one spot was actually something I enjoyed a lot more over the dumb and repeated errands they have you do in every MMO made.

So I managed to get into Excalibur but I'm kinda on the fence about buying this game, one reason being above. I enjoy PvP so what's it like in this game? It's probably going to be the selling point for me now. Also after creating a character can you customize them any after that? Because that will probably be another factor.

PVP is fun and pretty good but the playerbase of the game isn't really into it so you'll need to go out of your way to find other PVP people to do stuff with probably.

You get a Fantasia that lets you remake your character as a 30 day reward (basically for buying a sub) and more can be bought on the cash shop, however you can change your hairstyle for a pittance of gil and if you want it to be dressup is a huge part of the game beyond that.

Overall you will probably not like doing the main story and 1-50 quest much but will probably enjoy the game past that. That said, I hate questing too but most of the story is pretty well written, funny, and it has self-awareness about making you do stupid poo poo. After 50 and the patch story quests you can pretty much never Go Questing again and be fine.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 13, 2015

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Anita Dickinme posted:

So managed to get into Excalibur but I'm kinda on the fence about buying this game, one reason being above. I enjoy PvP so what's it like in this game? It's probably going to be the selling point for me now. Also after creating a character can you customize them any after that? Because that will probably be another factor.

Play GW2 for the pvp, play FFXIV for everything else. It's the best combination of MMOs I've gotten to yet. FFXIV is not balanced for pvp and it will never be a priority because the devs learned from wow's mistakes.

Boten Anna posted:

Maybe but they also haven't been playing the game so :confused:

The answer is simple.

Your friends aren't fundamentally broken people like the rest of us.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Ahh yes, level 50, the end game. What I really want to do now is hang with my man Alphinaud and talk to people in the 3 main cities and definitely not doing dungeons or killing monsters. or anything mildly interesting.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Maybe try to actually understand the argument you're making fun of? It would at the very least be more entertaining than the people making GBS threads on anything that impunes their pristine perfect waifu mmo game. We're not talking about hundreds of hours or even the leveling experience. We're talking about maybe 10 hours of absolute fluff that you can't get to until 50 and is required before you can go to 51. It's not hard to truncate what's there and make it actually better, because editing is a thing that exists and is shockingly widely used to make stories better by cutting out the crap.

Maybe try to actually understand the argument

They've said multiple times that leveling to 60 is NOT going to be locked. People who are new to the game, once they hit level 50, will just continue getting experience. Basically, after they finish the 2.1-2.55 content, they might be level 53 or something. So even though they're making the "pitstop" to do these storyquests, they're still gaining experience and making progress to 50.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

They've said multiple times that leveling to 60 is NOT going to be locked. People who are new to the game, once they hit level 50, will just continue getting experience. Basically, after they finish the 2.1-2.55 content, they might be level 53 or something. So even though they're making the "pitstop" to do these storyquests, they're still gaining experience and making progress to 50.

Which means they will have a lot of side quests to do on thier other jobs for exp. Win win for the newbees.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

We've got anecdotal evidence that both new players love and hate the story quests, so they pretty much cancel out. All that's left is whether you think rubbing perfume on a chocobo's butt is compelling gameplay that players will love or whether you think new players aren't too dumb to notice that what they're doing is a lot of fetch and chore quests between the stuff that they like to do, i.e. primals and trials and dungeons.

MMO players like getting EXP so they can use New Shiny Thing and if (when) SE assigns EXP rewards to the post-castrum 2.x stuff people are going to immediately stop bitching because suddenly there's a tangible reward for helping Minfilia's hot cat mom fix her earring or running interference for Alphinaud while he runs around like a moron screwing everything up.

Basically I'm going to laugh so hard if it turns out that the only streamlining SE does is release Story Coil with EXP to boost people up to 53 or so if they already did all the 2.x stuff before heavensward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So I just unlocked my Monk. I don't understand the order of how I use these skills, because I am dumb like Demolish and Rockbreaker seem the same to me.

• Locked thread