Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

i wanted to play a scary game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Hog Inspector posted:

God, me too.

At least we got Alien: Isolation

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Was Machine for Pigs good?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Hog Inspector posted:

Playing PT in the dark was probably the creepiest experience I've had in a while. It really is too bad :(

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

RoanHorse posted:

Was Machine for Pigs good?
Nope. They took out the actual object manipulation and puzzle solving and sanity systems and what you're left with is a spookier version of Dear Esther, made by the Dear Esther devs, rather than the actual Amnesia/Penumbra devs.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Cardboard Box A posted:

Nope. They took out the actual object manipulation and puzzle solving and sanity systems and what you're left with is a spookier version of Dear Esther, made by the Dear Esther devs, rather than the actual Amnesia/Penumbra devs.

also the big walking pig guys weren't intimidating at all and I easily walked past them numerous times, sometimes in clear sight too

what a disappointing sequel :(

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Just play Alien: Isolation instead, it's baller.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I'm willing to give Kojima the benefit of the doubt when it comes to at least attempting to discuss serious topics in his games. Before MGS4 I don't think he'd really crossed any particularly egregious lines. In fact, I rather enjoyed that Kojima was willing and able to comment on various topics from a perspective very outside of my own, with a whole different set of morals behind it. There's a lot going on in every Metal Gear Solid storyline. It gets goofy at times, but at the core of the games are a lot of interesting concepts that are generally explored in a lot of interesting ways. "Respectful" isn't a term I'd generally want to assign to any particular piece of work, as it implies that something is left out in order to appeal to somebody's sensibilities. There are, as with anything, exceptions and variations on that, but regardless, I think Kojima COULD tell a good plot, with enough nuance and imagery and metaphor and whatever you may want to add complexity to it. Metal Gear Solid, the original PSX game, is still fantastic. The voice acting, direction, the interconnected gameplay and story elements, all of that are just fantastic, still to this day. The game even manages to avoid the signs of age in terms of graphics--the blocky playstation models are just stylized enough that they're perfectly coherent and even rather charming in this day of HD graphics (which the series pioneers anyway). I'd suggest people check out on youtube Matthewmatosis' reviews of the Metal Gear series, he actually does fairly detailed plot analysis of the games and he showcases a lot of hidden depth to what's going on in the process.

It's why I'm sad Kojima won't be doing Silent Hills. I've been dying for him to start doing his poo poo with other game genres. He's a natural innovator and he isn't afraid to say whatever comes to his mind, for good or ill. His bravado when it comes to games design isn't some fluke or hype; Metal Gear is a solid series, and let's not forget Kojima also spearheaded Boktai, which itself successfully got a sequel or two and was to my knowledge rather well-regarded, even if it had a seemingly bizarre and possibly cumbersome gimmick.

That all being said, MGS4 is just kind of poo poo. I don't think Kojima was trying to really make anything "work" so to speak, he just wanted/needed to tie the whole drat thing up. Even then, he manages to do some clever poo poo, but it's easily the weakest of the series and the only one where I just stopped playing out of lack of interest. It's also the only one that has a lot of weird sexual poo poo in it that doesn't really accomplish anything. A lot in that game just felt off. Comparatively, I felt like Ground Zeroes actually fit much better, even with its ending. The ending of Ground Zeroes felt more like something I'd see in a Metal Gear Solid game than the Beauty and the Beast fights in MGS4. It was weird and rather gruesome, but that's sort of Metal Gear in a nutshell--weird, gruesome, and rarely ever uninteresting.

shut the gently caress up

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Stux posted:

I miss your old avatar.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Stux posted:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I miss your old avatar.

Without his avatar, he is a nobody now. I use to think Stux was cool.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
I can't afford a new avatar I'm on my work laptop - actual Stux quote

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I said come in! posted:

:dogbutton: never admit this

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

I said come in! posted:

:yikes:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

im extremely loving cool

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

who bought me this

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Stux posted:

who bought me this
You did, you rear end.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I don't like this new avatar, it makes him seem like he is the mascot for the games forum.

Which he kinda is, but I don't like it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

if I was gonna buy an av it would be my classic tooth avatar not this

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I don't hate this tho I like it

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
No red text, for shame.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

ThePhenomenalBaby posted:

I can't afford a new avatar I'm on my work laptop - actual Stux quote

he cant use his work laptop for work, he wouldn't want to do literally anything on a work laptop lest is break

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Eonwe posted:

he cant use his work laptop for work, he wouldn't want to do literally anything on a work laptop lest is break

I can't post on a work computer :nsavince:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

how many times must I tell u trolls: it's a mini not a macbook

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Stux posted:

how many times must I tell u trolls: it's a mini not a macbook
Most people would just say "grower, not a shower."

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i wouldn't because my penis is tiny

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
super mario world is really loving excellent.
as is donkey kong country returns and donkey kong country 1 and metroid prime 1.

i dont feel like there are enough hours in my life for this much win and i hope i get to 100% them

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
don't bother with 100%ing dkc1, it's a cool game but the reward for 100% is nothing and it just amounts to finding all the bonus rooms so you should just beat it and move on to dkc2, which gives you more stuff if you're going for 100% and is a better game

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

The Colonel posted:

don't bother with 100%ing dkc1, it's a cool game but the reward for 100% is nothing and it just amounts to finding all the bonus rooms so you should just beat it and move on to dkc2, which gives you more stuff if you're going for 100% and is a better game

the knowledge that i have 100%ed is a great enough reward for this humble gamer

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Beware maxing out DKC1. There is a bonus room inside a bonus room, and if you don't go through the door that opens in the bonus room before the bonus round is done, you lose access permanently for that run of the game, and 101% will forever be lost to you.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

That's the avengers base in avengers 2.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Phantasium posted:

Beware maxing out DKC1. There is a bonus room inside a bonus room, and if you don't go through the door that opens in the bonus room before the bonus round is done, you lose access permanently for that run of the game, and 101% will forever be lost to you.

I'm close to positive that this is not true, and that you can actually just go back to the bonus game at any time.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's that one in the Kremling factor stage, where you get the barrel and I know I've hosed it up before and gone back and gotten it, so unless it's some new glitch...

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

VideoGames posted:

super mario world is really loving excellent.

June thread title please

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

June thread title please
I'm making the June Chat Thread and I'm calling it the Happy American Independence Month Chat Thread.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
101%? you can go higher??

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Zombies' Downfall posted:

June thread title please

its my first time playing it and 10 year old me would have been in love even more than now me is

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm making the June Chat Thread and I'm calling it the Happy American Independence Month Chat Thread.

eagles and firework photos are encouraged

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

VideoGames posted:

its my first time playing it and 10 year old me would have been in love even more than now me is

there are legitimately a lot of secrets in SMW

and its not dumb stuff like DK 64 secrets, there are whole levels that many people probably haven't ever played

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Eonwe posted:

there are legitimately a lot of secrets in SMW

and its not dumb stuff like DK 64 secrets, there are whole levels that many people probably haven't ever played

That crazy special world full of levels was pretty fun. I think SMW is the last game that I sat around playing until I unlocked literally everything. Over 20 years ago.

• Locked thread