Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Gtr is like that. Changing intake/IC piping or downpipes is challenging. New turbos means dropping the engine out, and you had better be sure there are no oil/water line leaks before it goes back together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Throatwarbler posted:

...so, the same as any Honda VTEC engine?

Audi at least had a good reason to put the timing drive in the back of the engine, and the problems associated with those engines were to do with defective timing chain guides in the first few model years. They changed the defective parts with stronger ones on later models and the problem was solved, and the layout is still used. The placement of the timing chain really isn't a big deal, VAG is hardly the only company that does it, V6 Mustangs and Explorers also have timing chains on the firewall side, and.....uh...I don't know where I was going with this

You have no idea how vtec works, shut up.

Every other vvti/L system works by hydraulic pressure operated by a single solenoid. This system uses individual solenoids per cylinder. Even BMW's infinitely variable valve lift system uses one actuator to operate a shaft that changes the lift ratio of all the intake lifters at once.

jamal posted:

Gtr is like that. Changing intake/IC piping or downpipes is challenging. New turbos means dropping the engine out, and you had better be sure there are no oil/water line leaks before it goes back together.

Are you referring to the RB26 or the new gtr? Cause I didn't find the RB26 all that difficult. Lots of cunty little lines that like to sprout leaks, but that's par for the course for every 90's nissan. VQ30DETT is way worse.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

PitViper posted:

Three months old, I installed this tire myself back in Feb. Sorry dude, I'm not giving you any more "road hazard" claims on your tires. I told you you needed an alignment last time you were here.

I wouldn't have thought those Titan 59/80R63's came with road hazard.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

jamal posted:

Just the exhaust manifold I think. Also it might be a new ford engine that's like that.

I could see the sliding cam thing getting stuck and breaking off the actuator.

Well a turbo integrated into the manifold has been done before, toyota did it with the last version of the 3sgte and dont gt-r's have the same setup?

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

edit: gently caress, beaten by minutes...

CommieGIR posted:

This isn't new, a lot of manufacturers integrate the hot side into the manifold now.

Toyota was doing this in the last generation of the 3sgte in the late 90's.

It's too bad since the engines are cheaper than the previous generations to buy, but they basically only came with automatic transmissions. I was thinking about picking one up for my celica, but the swap is more of a pain in the rear end.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Negromancer posted:

edit: gently caress, beaten by minutes...

Toyota was doing this in the last generation of the 3sgte in the late 90's.

It's too bad since the engines are cheaper than the previous generations to buy, but they basically only came with automatic transmissions. I was thinking about picking one up for my celica, but the swap is more of a pain in the rear end.

Is that a picture after an engine fire?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

veedubfreak posted:

My subaru engine from New York looked like this.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

PitViper posted:

Three months old, I installed this tire myself back in Feb. Sorry dude, I'm not giving you any more "road hazard" claims on your tires. I told you you needed an alignment last time you were here.

Um excuse you the road definitely created this hazardous condition, ergo it falls under road hazard.

/customerlogic

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

veedubfreak posted:

Yes, a very very slow drawn out fire that oxidizes every metal object on the car over a span of 20 years.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Powershift posted:

Yes they are, look at the shape of the valve cover in the top pic.

gently caress me. I just saw the ring of bolts in the crank pulley.

God drat it VW.

E:

Throatwarbler posted:

It's Audi's variable valve lift system.

:catstare:

charliemonster42 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 12, 2015

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Well my 05 Sti's transmission decided to explode.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
^ #1 Son's '05 LGT trans also went kablooey. :(:hf::(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

jamal posted:

Just the exhaust manifold I think. Also it might be a new ford engine that's like that.

The Pentastar does this, but only on the driver's side I think.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Slavvy posted:

Your next car should always be a honda, toyota, mazda or nissan. All other brands are garbage, and nissan is pushing the boundaries and might get booted out of the club if they aren't careful.

Nissan is a pile in every direction except the GTR which I consider the Viper of Chrysler as where they dont associate with eachother.

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Safety Dance posted:

First generation Escalades were a far cry from the gaudy tackmobiles we see today.

I can't get over how large the bumper gap is for a publicity photo. It even looks like it's bigger on the closer side but maybe that's just perspective tricking me.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Uthor posted:

I once drove over a freshly tarred road on my bike and got that poo poo caked on everywhere. It smoked and smelled from getting heated up by the engine for a long time.

When I was a kid our minivan was unlucky enough to have a plastic shopping bag melt itself to the exhaust. That smelled awful for a month +. To this day when I run over a bag I glance in my rear-view and breathe a sigh of relief when I see them exit.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Longinus00 posted:

I can't get over how large the bumper gap is for a publicity photo. It even looks like it's bigger on the closer side but maybe that's just perspective tricking me.

That era was one where GM was soaking so deep in SUV cash that they gave little to no fucks about anything.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Longinus00 posted:

When my dad bought a Z71 Suburban my first reaction on seeing it was "I think it was in an accident..."

He told me that was normal and I refrained from further comment

(Random Google image)

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 13, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Clearly, you haven't seen how big GM thinks panel gaps can get and still be acceptable.

See: every Saturn ever made.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Preoptopus posted:

Nissan is a pile in every direction except the GTR which I consider the Viper of Chrysler as where they dont associate with eachother.

I wonder if there's a large quality discrepancy between the nissans north america get and the nissans australasia and japan get because, flimsy interiors and CVT aside, they're considered pretty good around here and I haven't had many negative experiences with them. They've definitely gone backward since the 90's though, much more so than any other japanese brand.

some texas redneck posted:

Clearly, you haven't seen how big GM thinks panel gaps can get and still be acceptable.

I remember my mate's uncle got himself an (at the time, around 2010) brand new VE holden commodore. I asked him why drove around with the bonnet popped.

"It's not open, it just looks like that cause the bonnet doesn't sit right! There's a recall or something but I'm too lazy to take it in and get it fixed."

This was on a car that was marketed as having, amongst other things, the smallest panel gaps of any GMH vehicle to date!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
<old joke>

A body engineer from Land Rover goes on an exchange visit to Toyota in Japan and watches the engineers developing the latest Land Cruiser bodyshell.

He notices that on the workbench they have a cat in a small cage and he asks what it's for. The Japanese engineer tells him when they have finished a Land Cruiser they lock a cat in it and go home. If the cat is dead when they return in the morning they know the shutlines on the doors are up to their high standards.

The LR guy likes this idea and when he gets back to Solihull he takes a cat to work and locks it in a Defender and goes home for the night. When he returns in the morning the cat is gone.

</old joke>

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

spog posted:

<old joke>

A body engineer from Land Rover goes on an exchange visit to Toyota in Japan and watches the engineers developing the latest Land Cruiser bodyshell.

He notices that on the workbench they have a cat in a small cage and he asks what it's for. The Japanese engineer tells him when they have finished a Land Cruiser they lock a cat in it and go home. If the cat is dead when they return in the morning they know the shutlines on the doors are up to their high standards.

The LR guy likes this idea and when he gets back to Solihull he takes a cat to work and locks it in a Defender and goes home for the night. When he returns in the morning the cat is gone.gets hammered, ignores what he was going to do with the car.

</old joke>

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

some texas redneck posted:

Or ball joint tolerances for that matter.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I honestly don't know why people care about panel gap. As long as they're even, it's the last thing in my mind.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Panel gap is an obvious sign that build quality may be shoddy.

e. Also: my drag coefficient!

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Safety Dance posted:

Panel gap is an obvious sign that build quality may be shoddy.

e. Also: my drag coefficient!

My avatar is a good sign of how much i value build quality.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Ozmiander posted:

My avatar is a good sign of how much i value build quality.

Your avatar is a Jeep, not a Land Rover...??

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

When my dad bought a Z71 Suburban my first reaction on seeing it was "I think it was in an accident..."

He told me that was normal and I refrained from further comment

(Random Google image)

I once road tripped from Oregon to Illinois in one of these with 7 big, smelly dudes for a college SAE competition. By the end of the trip it was pretty much a huge fart prison. It also could barely haul our fat asses along with our double car trailer. Any sort of incline was an immediate drop to 35.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

Saw this one on the way into work just now

Passenger had a look through the windows as we passed them later on. Nothing in the back.

It drove as well as you'd expect.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Slavvy posted:

I wonder if there's a large quality discrepancy between the nissans north america get and the nissans australasia and japan get because, flimsy interiors and CVT aside, they're considered pretty good around here and I haven't had many negative experiences with them. They've definitely gone backward since the 90's though, much more so than any other japanese brand.
They build a lot of cars in Mexico, and these models seem to be the source of their lovely reputation. My B14 Sentra was both horrendous (like worse than my AL Sportage in build quality and reliability) and Mexican, but the B14 200SX which IIRC was shipped from glorious Nippon never seems to get poo poo on.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
My coworker has had the CVT in his 2009 Rogue replaced three times already.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Icedude posted:

Saw this one on the way into work just now

Passenger had a look through the windows as we passed them later on. Nothing in the back.

It drove as well as you'd expect.
This is pretty normal. Bag or pipe gives out, air compressor runs at 100% duty cycle to compensate, masking the problem until it burns out, at which point the thing drags its arse like a dog with bad anal glands.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Something electrical broke on the Fiat? :monocle: gosh the surprise.
Luckily a good old lobotomy will sort out the alarm woes.

It hides down here

Very secure.

Disconnect all the parts

AISS tool of the gods

Obligatory. Try waking us up at night now you bastard.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 13, 2015

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Cakefool posted:

AISS tool of the gods

Glad to see it's getting a workout, it's my #1 most handy tool I own.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't like the socket set on top of the engine like that though. One wayward nudge with the elbow and you get to spend the next ten minutes trying to extract sockets from greasy nooks and crannies deep inside the engine bay.

Then you finish and notice one is still missing.

I always put my unused tools on the ground.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

xzzy posted:

I don't like the socket set on top of the engine like that though. One wayward nudge with the elbow and you get to spend the next ten minutes trying to extract sockets from greasy nooks and crannies deep inside the engine bay.

Really, screw putting anything up on top like that.

Ask me about the time I spent 20 minutes fishing around with a magnetic grabber trying to find the battery bolt I knocked in which I would've been capital F hosed without.

The worst sound is the metallic ting ding....and then no sound of it hitting the ground. :smithicide:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

xzzy posted:

gently caress socket trays in general, I keep them on rails. Easier to take underneath a vehicle, you can't spill them, and you can hang them up on pegboard or organize however you want with whatever ratchets you want. Just watch out when someone is helping you, for some reason no one else can seem to grasp "put it back on the rail you gently caress I don't want my poo poo disorganized".

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Yes I'm a terrible mechanic with terrible habits. The top of that engine is thoroughly flat though.

Thinking of getting one of these when I've moved, just to avoid exactly what's been mentioned:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I LOVE the racks - I keep most of my sockets on them. I also have a rolling cart with a set of racks in it that I use to hold tools currently being used on what I'm working on. I go apeshit if stuff isn't organized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Tommychu posted:

My B14 Sentra was both horrendous (like worse than my AL Sportage in build quality and reliability) and Mexican, but the B14 200SX which IIRC was shipped from glorious Nippon never seems to get poo poo on.

Sorry dude, as a caretaker of a B14 200SX I can both confirm its American (TN) manufacture and general shittiness.

Sub par parts, cut rate engineering and lazy styling combine to make a car that was forgettable.