Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

See for me I almost crack up everytime that tree lumbers into view and crash because all I can see is this fuckin cat:

Yes I am a child

Has nothing to do with PGabz' AV being a cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Yeah...that tree has broken my concentration so many times. I laugh at it every time I see it.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

orange juche posted:

Has nothing to do with PGabz' AV being a cat.

Ha ha yeah :)

It does also remind me of:

Which just makes it worse somehow

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

peter gabriel posted:

Ha ha yeah :)

It does also remind me of:

Which just makes it worse somehow

LOL isn't that the cellphone tower jesus that caught on fire?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Haven't played much just some practice laps in various cars and tracks but holy lord the sound in this game is fantastic. I like the secondary cockpit view too, I usually try to drive in cockpit views but sometimes they can be claustrophobic.

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 13, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

squirrelzipper posted:

Haven't played much just some practice laps in various cars and trucks but holy lord the sound in this game is fantastic. I like the secondary cockpit view too, I usually try to drive in cockpit views but sometimes they can be claustrophobic.

I find the helmet cam on a single monitor reduces that claustrophobic effect.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Anyone know of a cheap and easy way to mount a steering wheel in as small a space as possible? I have nowhere to put my wheel but I wanna use it really bad. I've been looking at things that let you mount your wheel but considering all I have is a driving force ex that I bought second hand for like $50, the mounts cost like 3 times more than I spent on the wheel.

Pretty good wheel for the price tho.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

BlackMK4 posted:

I was going to sell the game off after trying to play it earlier... then I gave these settings a shot:

Jesus, it's actually driveable now on a PS4 dualshock.

Picking this up later today are these settings good?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Norns posted:

LOL isn't that the cellphone tower jesus that caught on fire?

Yeah! It's known as Touchdown Jesus as well, between that and the cat I'm boned when that tree pops up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGTBFPte-MY

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm probably just a god damned idiot but where do I choose different liveries or whatever?

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
For those having trouble with Karts, I found an amazing way to improve your Kart's speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEifDocGriM

Lap times just got better and better.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Feenix posted:

I'm probably just a god damned idiot but where do I choose different liveries or whatever?

When you choose your car you use the right/left arrows before you press X to use it. I found it by accident.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
What do I need to do to get on the community leaderboards? Nothing I do will save my times.

It's also not saving my times per track in just singleplayer stuff. Every track I pick says my best time is N/A

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Athanatos posted:

What do I need to do to get on the community leaderboards? Nothing I do will save my times.

It's also not saving my times per track in just singleplayer stuff. Every track I pick says my best time is N/A

Are you doing your driving in Free Practice or the Time Attack?

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Snetterton Tree

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

GutBomb posted:

Are you doing your driving in Free Practice or the Time Attack?

To get a leaderboard time you need to tune your car in free practice and save the setup, and then you load the setup in time attack and go to town until you're a world record holder. Your times are only saved to the leaderboard in time attack.

I almost got a world record for the 125 cc karts on greenwood karting circuit, I was ahead of the #1 ghost the whole lap and binned it on the last turn. I guess Ill have to settle for top 5.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
I've got the superkart world record at Laguna seca. It was horrible.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Falken posted:

you do need to go back and try for my hockenheim gp.

you can keep laguna tho yaaaaa

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Falken posted:

So what hosed you the most? The corkscrew or the immediate turn after?

That section of the track is a goddamn nightmare.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

Feenix posted:

My question is why (on Superkarts so far, that's as far as I've gotten) the steering sensitivity is so insanely precise and drifty (as in, wants to pull to a side at the lightest touch...) on like, my first lap. But then poo poo feels REAL good and controlled in subsequent laps. Is that really just down to cold tires?

I think that's because the tire pressure is also low, which makes the ride height lower and the bodywork scrape against the ground.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

So what hosed you the most? The corkscrew or the immediate turn after?

That section of the track is a goddamn nightmare.

I haven't done Laguna in this game but in previous sim games it wasn't the corkscrew that was hard, it was the braking zone for the corkscrew. You're climbing a hill and cresting just at the point where most cars need to start braking, which means the car is going to be a bit light. I've hosed up that entry so many times that I don't even bother trying to do it "right" anymore. I just brake before the crest and hope anyone behind me isn't too close too adjust.

Exiting is a lot of fun. Cars tend to get mashed into the pavement and you can really lay on the power. Then you got that left sweeper which is a great corner. Modestly fast cars can take it flat out.. it owns.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Pcars has a very easy braking zone into the corkscrew. That's a turn that has eternally fisted me inin every six except pcars.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

headfake posted:

I think that's because the tire pressure is also low, which makes the ride height lower and the bodywork scrape against the ground.

Tire pressure changes after a lap, though?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Did they officially cancel the Linux version of this or is it still in development? I want to play this but I really don't want to have to go out and buy Windows to do so.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Cubey posted:

Did they officially cancel the Linux version of this or is it still in development? I want to play this but I really don't want to have to go out and buy Windows to do so.

the most cubey of posts

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Feenix posted:

Tire pressure changes with tire temperature, and 1 lap can be enough to raise the temperature.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Rad Valtar posted:

Picking this up later today are these settings good?
They're pretty similar to what I'm running and feel good.

I think I have slightly higher steering sensitivity (15 or 20?), am running 5-10 on deadzone-sensitivity for throttle/brakes, think I have 50 or 55 speed sensitivity (was running into understeer issues on high speed turns where full joystick motion wasn't enough despite the car being able to manage without losing control), and, lastly, I have much lower Control Filtering Sensitivity (assists making your turning smoother, but can cause input lag... set it wherever feels good to you) at 25 (I lower to 15 for Karts because their super fast steering causes noticeable input lag at 25).

Feenix posted:

If it's like real tires (probably is), then, yes, the tires will have a good deal higher pressure when warmed up. The default Kart setups (125cc at least, still meandering my way through the bevy of invitationals before my 250cc season starts) seem to bottom out a lot sending sparks up. Not sure if this is normal and the game just doesn't generate sparks for AI Karts or if I should tamper with the setup. :shrug: I guess I managed to win through 125cc with it bottoming out a lot on 80 AI difficulty (albeit with a ton of restarts prior to getting more playable controls for my controller so I didn't inexplicably hard spin 180 degrees in basically race ending fashion anymore) so it wasn't that big of a deal.

Not sure if you can tamper with ride height on a Kart, but upping the tire pressures might help some with bottoming out.

Edit:

Aishan posted:

For those having trouble with Karts, I found an amazing way to improve your Kart's speed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEifDocGriM

Lap times just got better and better.
:thumbsup:

bUm fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 14, 2015

kaiwero
Aug 22, 2006
How are you guys setting up Goon races on PS4 as there are no clubs? Is there an IRC or something?

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Ran into an invitational using the BMW 320 Turbo Group 5 and like it quite a bit (pretty cool noticing that the exposed wires in the dash actually jiggle as you go over bumps and the window net moves about some as well), but seem to have a curious problem: the left front tire seems to run way hot and is red while the others remain a steady green. Part of it is probably that Hockenheim short and now Barcelona National have more fast right turns putting more work on the left front tire, but is there anything settings-wise one can change to reduce how hot the tire is getting? Tried turning down the pressure on the left front, but that accomplished nothing. Venting brakes more seems like it could help, but the right front staying green as is makes me hope for a better option.

Even at 100% race length it doesn't seem long enough to matter, but still made me curious since running much slower isn't an option without falling behind the AI.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Sorry for starting California highway without letting you select your cars...then immediately dropping. (no i'm not,enjoy your superkarts)

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Phuzun posted:

Sorry for starting California highway without letting you select your cars...then immediately dropping. (no i'm not,enjoy your superkarts)

Two of us raced the whole thing and it was fun as poo poo. California in the rain in an old rear end Lotus is great.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Most of us were in various random lotus f1 cars actually and me and whoever Gary was found out the lotus 49 is actually pretty loving cool in that track in the rain. Hard as hell to drive but pretty cool.

e:^ this is apparently gary.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

Yeah, tires need to get up to both temperature and pressure. If you watch an old F1 race where they throw up sparks (and even now sometimes), it happens a lot more on the first lap. The superkarts are so close to the ground that they seem to scrape in the corners, but right at the beginning they'll scrape even when you move back and forth on the straight, making the steering all twitchy. Or at least that's what I think so far. They seem to have so much power that I don't think a little scraping matters much, unless it was happening all the way down the straight or something like that (or if it's enough to make you lose control in a corner).

I tried driving the Radical SR3 @ Spa. Happened to notice a "high water temp" light on the dash; turned out I had to increase the radiator duct size to keep the car from overheating and losing tons of power after a few laps. Kind of cool but a little complex if you're coming from console games (although I guess it wouldn't happen with mechanical damage off).

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

I hereby vote that Azure Circuit (Monaco) be banned from all future Goon races.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Basticle posted:

Boo this man.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Basticle posted:

Why would you ban a fun track, do you hate fun?

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

headfake posted:

Yeah, tires need to get up to both temperature and pressure. If you watch an old F1 race where they throw up sparks (and even now sometimes), it happens a lot more on the first lap. The superkarts are so close to the ground that they seem to scrape in the corners, but right at the beginning they'll scrape even when you move back and forth on the straight, making the steering all twitchy. Or at least that's what I think so far. They seem to have so much power that I don't think a little scraping matters much, unless it was happening all the way down the straight or something like that (or if it's enough to make you lose control in a corner).

I tried driving the Radical SR3 @ Spa. Happened to notice a "high water temp" light on the dash; turned out I had to increase the radiator duct size to keep the car from overheating and losing tons of power after a few laps. Kind of cool but a little complex if you're coming from console games (although I guess it wouldn't happen with mechanical damage off).

I read up on this as I wondered why poo poo was so slidey from the word go. As it is, I can safely blame not warming my tires. As for radiator stuff, 100% Open unless the temp outside is cold and/or there's rain involved.

Basticle posted:

Oh wait, THAT'S the Monaco track? I was lookin' for that!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
So I went through to see all the liveries, and I really like the fake ones, they're really well done. Especially any car with a Quasol livery. Very Wipeoutish.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

hopterque posted:

Most of us were in various random lotus f1 cars actually and me and whoever Gary was found out the lotus 49 is actually pretty loving cool in that track in the rain. Hard as hell to drive but pretty cool.

e:^ this is apparently gary.

It is one of my favorites in both Assetto Corsa and Project Cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

monaco owns

• Locked thread