Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Vermain posted:

It wasn't really "realistic style." If you take a look at the actual in-game models, appearances are still very stylized. What you're probably talking about is the color palette, which was washed-out and subdued, which gave it more of a "realistic" appearance. Either way, I suspect the major problem was just lovely coding that couldn't handle the massive numbers via animation/model culling, or which leaned too heavily on the CPU. They were stuck in development hell for quite a while, so I wouldn't be surprised to learn that their codebase was a mess.
Well, it was a more detailed style than WoW had going on at any rate. Also, you could attach various knick-knacks to your armor purely for aesthetic reasons which likely didn't help things.

I mean, I'm sure it was more than the graphic style (I think they were using a lovely engine to begin with), but I guess as Wildstar shows a simple graphical style doesn't prevent your game from running like poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Asimo posted:

As big a trainwreck as Warhammer was, it was still the only MMO where PVP was even vaguely fun, at least in the low-level brackets. When they actually worked. :v: It continues to amaze me that no other game has picked up on way they let you have a hostile target and a friendly target, it actually made playing a healer vaguely fun for a change.

I must be the only person who actually misses Warhammer Online.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Warhammer was amazing at the end of Tier 1, pretty dang fun at Tier 2, and then Tier 3 you started to notice the myriad of balance issues. I never made it to Tier 4.

Also, open world PvP was boring as poo poo unless you did some small group roaming (but that's fun in any MMO).

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Verranicus posted:

I must be the only person who actually misses Warhammer Online.
I liked it, but it was still a trainwreck. The game couldn't support large scale PVP, and even if it did the actual mechanics for the open world PVP zones were horrible and actively encouraged win trading and other such things. The classes were horribly balanced (including things like the faction-specific variants of a class type being explicitly superior to the other faction's) and the leveling grind was so clearly and blatantly padded into intolerable tedium. Didn't they halve the XP you got right before it launched because people were leveling too fast in beta?

Despite all that it was still a far better game than Wildstar. Even if it wasn't as good as it could have been it still had a lot of clever mechanics, and some of the better ones (like the open zone quests) have been taken by other games and are nearly universal now, with nobody remembering the actual source.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
Hey guess what showed up on SteamDB?

https://steamdb.info/sub/68224/

Another sign of F2P?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

DarkstarIV posted:

Another sign of F2P?

People on r/wildstar have already dissected it. This is pretty much confirmation. FF14 is listed as billingtype "Store or CD Key (10)", while Warframe (f2p game) is "Free on Demand (12)", which is what they set Wildstar to.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
This is reading more and more like the final days of Jonestown with every wrinkle. How long till the remaining players all mass delete their characters. They'll never make the game free 2 play while we still live.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I imagine even if they make it f2p it'll be exactly the same game, they'll probably just add a cash shop where you can buy skill amps or hats or something.

Should be interesting to see what happens a month or so after it goes f2p or b2p or whatever, it'll be fun to see people complain about the exact same things people complain about now, except they'll be told "it's free, if you don't like it don't play it"

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Belzac posted:

This is reading more and more like the final days of Jonestown with every wrinkle. How long till the remaining players all mass delete their characters. They'll never make the game free 2 play while we still live.
Well, in the case of Franbunny it may be even more like Jonestown :ohdear:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

CoffeeBooze posted:

If you casuals don't even have the skill and free time to read back two pages before posting maybe you should go post in a casual thread for babies like the WoW thread.

It talks about some person called girl with ruined teeth or w/e.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

panda clue posted:

People on r/wildstar have already dissected it. This is pretty much confirmation. FF14 is listed as billingtype "Store or CD Key (10)", while Warframe (f2p game) is "Free on Demand (12)", which is what they set Wildstar to.

Even b2p games are listed as "store" if they are fully integrated to steam. or store/key if they aren't. Stick a :fork: in it, its done

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Stick a :fork: in it, its done

oh no, this is where it starts to get good, friend

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
we did it guys!!!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So can they not post on the forums when maintenance is going on, or is it just a really slow day over there?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

This is GREAT news for Wildstar, and Bitcoin.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Verranicus posted:

So can they not post on the forums when maintenance is going on, or is it just a really slow day over there?

Their old (at least it probably is now) forum model required you to have an active paid subscription to post, so they probably have to take that out.

Knowing carbine, trying to change that will probably lead to them accidentally destroying the forums. I don't think any of the original tech team is still around, they replaced a lot of their staff with fresh recruits who didn't realize their pay is poo poo.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
So who's all for posting source quotes on reddit and the forums where they say they would rather let the game die before going to a non sub model when this happens?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Holyshoot posted:

So who's all for posting source quotes on reddit and the forums where they say they would rather let the game die before going to a non sub model when this happens?

I wish I'd saved some of the screenshots I took for this very reason. I did it when TOR went F2P and it was amazing.

Biblical Fucking
Nov 21, 2013

Ask me about where to find fucking in the Bible!

CoffeeBooze posted:

I think Fran is just stressing more than usual because her banning talk about f2p actually made it onto an MMO news site.

http://massivelyop.com/2015/05/12/wildstar-subreddit-mod-bans-f2p-and-b2p-discussions/

I wonder if this will drive her over the edge.

At least Franbunny seems to have realised the error of her ways after being featured on massively, oh wait no of course she loving hasn't.

FranBunnyFFXII posted:

The moderator that came up and removed me was one that 1. does not play the game, 2. was inactive in moderating the sub and didn't do anything either.
I deleted the posts associated that I had put up as a moderator because they were no longer relevant.
Due to these posts and events I was infact being harassed and downvote brigaded.
People were threatening to stalk me and spam the subreddit as well.
I reported these people to the reddit administration and had most of them dealt with, however now the moderator has gone and unbanned the people threatening and harassing me.
I'm now being used as a scapegoat, and this inactive moderator simply because he could, is taking over the subreddit, getting new moderators,

I was planning on appointing two new moderators this morning, both of which were very active members of the game, reddit, and well regarded in the community.
My once good intentions backfired, and now a moderator that has been completely inactive in the game and subreddit decided to sweep in and take the opportunity to throw me under the bus as a scapegoat to make up for their complete absence and disregard for the subreddit.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!

DarkstarIV posted:

Another sign of F2P?

Wanna read those WS forum baddie meltdowns

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

but my subreddit

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
How does reddit deal with bad people? Do they ever ban it's from making accounts? If not make a new account and you're good to go.

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."
Yes, the subreddit needs active Wildstar players to mod it, because said players are great at making good decisions. Yessiree.

noELrunes
Jan 23, 2004

Bah gawd he had a family!
https://steamdb.info/app/371920/subs/

more stuff about this.

So will it still be sub, or maybe a tiered system?

Xexre
Jan 26, 2010

Elder Brother, you're so dreamy
:allears:

So explain something for me

The past few games that went from subscription to F2P / B2P did so because while the game was kinda fun, it wasn't subscription fun. They modified their game slightly to support the new model and everything was good (enough)

From what I'm reading Wildstar has been a Not Fun game. What are they doing / have they done to support making the game worthy of playing for free, much less paying anything for it?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Oh man, all this drama over Wildstar plus all the drama over Blizzard's massive bot ban wave recently have made for great forum reading.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Verranicus posted:

Oh man, all this drama over Wildstar plus all the drama over Blizzard's massive bot ban wave recently have made for great forum reading.

What is this about a bot ban? Color me interested, I love schadenfreude l as much as the next goon.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Unlucky7 posted:

What is this about a bot ban? Color me interested, I love schadenfreude l as much as the next goon.

A shitload of people apparently got banned for using HonorBuddy, a pvp bot.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Shadowlyger posted:

A shitload of people apparently got banned for using HonorBuddy, a pvp bot.

Their forums are on fire with angry bot customers too, weird

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

noELrunes posted:

https://steamdb.info/app/371920/subs/

more stuff about this.

So will it still be sub, or maybe a tiered system?

Wildstar itself is free on demand. Usually the core app will still be cd/key if it was b2p or p2p. The extra keys are probably packages similar to how some f2p games hand out a cdkey when you buy a steam bundle, like Marvel Heroes does.

vvvv
Probably first time offenses and they probably think they have a good way of detecting to get repeat offenders. A few were perms.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 14, 2015

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

mp5 posted:

Their forums are on fire with angry bot customers too, weird

6 month ban seems odd.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
In the main "our cheating program got detected!" thread on those bot forums there's more than one person urging people to try Wildstar now that they've been banned from WoW, and that the Wildstar equivalent bot will -never- get detected.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Now that you can't not play this game, why not go for not playing this other game. Truly the way to enjoy Wildstar.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I hope Wildstar f2p takes off like a rocket, but only because Carbine just doubles down on casual poo poo like housing and shiphands.

Wildstar then becomes a living hell for these hardcore cupcakes :allears:

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Vermain posted:

This is GREAT news for Wildstar, and Bitcoin.

Yeah, absolutely fantastic news, because

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Verranicus posted:

In the main "our cheating program got detected!" thread on those bot forums there's more than one person urging people to try Wildstar now that they've been banned from WoW, and that the Wildstar equivalent bot will -never- get detected.

Or they could just go to ffxiv where you only get caught botting if you're blatantly retarded about it. And the game is a thousand times better. I would imagine most people just bot up the gathering professions.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
There's some bots and yeah, mostly you'll only be banned if you're teleport hacking in broad view but at least for PvP there's one guy who's been botting for a while now and every game I've gotten with him we kick him from the game so he doesn't get any rewards.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

A guy claiming to be a carbine employee is posting alleged spoilers about the future of the game over there now. Part of the bans Fran had been racking up was trying to keep him from posting while she tried to get in touch with Carbine about him. :catstare: Since she's not a mod anymore, she's given up and posted his "proof":

quote:

It's not great. From top to bottom we have handfuls of people leaving every week, there was a stretch where we averaged at least 5 people leaving a week for 5 weeks. As you all probably know we've had 2 Art Directors leave within 8 months, a handful of Producers have left, we still have no Studio Head to replace Gaffney, hell even our Wildstar specific QA is down to about 7 people and a few of them are leaving in the next couple weeks as well. We've had 4 designers from different Feature Teams leave in the past 7 work days as well. There is no transparency and everyone is always fearful of what will even be here 2 months from now. The place is ran very poorly by people who have the biggest egos that fight over everything.

:catstare:

edit: cyster take gaffney's position highlander style tia

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Video game QA is almost McDonald's-level poo poo. If your QA team is up and quitting you are fuuuuucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Link for those curious.

quote:

Hey there! Steam integration has been coming for a while, Valve was in our office here in Orange County back in January. We are trying to get Wildstar to be THE MMO for Steamboxes, IE, Wildstar will be preinstalled with every system. It should be happening before the China launch that's for sure.

God bless you, Wildstar guy. Keep on livin' that dream. :patriot:

• Locked thread