Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alchahest
Dec 28, 2004
Universal Solvent
thanks guys!

also why wouldn't you want another one of the starter ships?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Because shelling out for an obsolete old model star destroyer is probably not high on a lot of players' lists. I'm waiting for the ISDs, not planning on buying any other Victories.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Just like X-Wing, if you don't buy everything there will be certain upgrade cards unavailable to you. It's not hard to figure out what comes with which expansion packs, and if it's something you're interested in picking up or not. And you can always borrow from friends or proxy when not playing in tournaments anyhow.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
So now that Wave 1 has hit, is this game deep enough to jump on for guys like me that delayed?

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Individual cards will be on Ebay.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

susan posted:

So now that Wave 1 has hit, is this game deep enough to jump on for guys like me that delayed?

Yes.

No qualifications. Just yes.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Tekopo posted:

What honestly made you think that it was going to be any different from x-wing?

In reality I didn't think it'd be different, I had just kind of hoped that it might be given that the models in the starter set are a bit more expensive.

I got super lucky and CSI shipped me a free copy of the game along with the copy I paid for, so I already have double of everything in the starter box. To go out and buy a third copy of all those ships would be pretty hard to justify.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Armada, X-Wing, or Firestorm Armada? There are players for all three locally, and I have a little bit of X-Wing stuff from way back, but I can really only afford to get into one of the three now.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived...

Corbeau posted:

Armada, X-Wing, or Firestorm Armada? There are players for all three locally, and I have a little bit of X-Wing stuff from way back, but I can really only afford to get into one of the three now.
I know nothing of Firestorm, but of the other two: X-Wing is much more "established" and has a wide following. It is also easier to learn and faster to play. Armada it very cool, but it is brand new and there is not a lot of depth yet (the 1st wave of expansions came out just today). It is more complex and slower, but it is also a much more strategic game than X-Wing. X-Wing is much more about tactics and maneuvering.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I played the intro scenario to Armada last weekend. I just bought everything off Miniature Market. God drat you FFG and your ability to convert my money into plastic spaceships.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Can someone explain the difference of strategy vs tactics to me? I keep seeing those two used mutually exclusively and I always equated them to be the same. Like generally and specifically (concept vs game mechanics)? I'm trying to decide which game I want to buy into still and that'll help me understand more.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Bottom Liner posted:

Can someone explain the difference of strategy vs tactics to me? I keep seeing those two used mutually exclusively and I always equated them to be the same. Like generally and specifically (concept vs game mechanics)? I'm trying to decide which game I want to buy into still and that'll help me understand more.

Strategy is what happens before a battle.
Tactics is what happens during a battle.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Corbeau posted:

FS:A is hot garbage. X-Wing is decent, but the dice are really swingy, and SW:A is amazing. I honestly don't see myself buying nearly as much X-Wing stuff anymore because I think Armada has much better mechanics and much more consistent dice.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Bottom Liner posted:

Strobe's two-liner is pretty apt. Strategy is generally large-scale and leads one to decide when, where, and how to fight (and what constitutes a victory). Tactics is the mechanics of fighting at a given place and time to achieve victory.

If you're really interested, I like MCDP-1 "Warfighting" for its quick, broad overview of (a particular) theory of war. Your question gets specifically addressed in Chapter 2, starting on page 28.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
The combination of:

Rebel Officer Adar Talon: After you resolve a Squadron command, exhaust this card to toggle the activation slider of 1 squadron activated with that command. (10pts)

Yavaris Title for Nebulon B: Squadron Command Each squadron you activate can attack twice if it does not move. (5pts)

Lets the rebels use Bwing Character Keyan Farlander (bomber, 2 black anti ship dice and "While attacking a ship, if the defending hull zone has no shields, you may reroll any number of dice in your attack pool." (20pts)

To move 2 to an enemy ship, hit it with 2 black dice, set the activation slider back to unactivated, activate it again and attack twice more with 2 black dice each, with rerolls once he breaks shields.

In two squadron commands you put 6 black dice (with rerolls against shieldless) into any ship within 3 squadron move of him is brutal.

EDIT: If you can put him into an unshielded section of a Gladiator you've got a good chance of one shotting it. Yikes. Tie Fighter screens are going to become a lot more important.

hooman fucked around with this message at 04:56 on May 13, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Strobe posted:

Strategy is what happens before a battle.
Tactics is what happens during a battle.

That is perfect, thank you.

EDIT: where does Imperial Assault fall in the spectrum?

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 03:43 on May 13, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
If you're playing a game with figures on the table, it's tactics. List building is the equivalent to strategy here (which I suppose makes buying figures logistics. :D).

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

hooman posted:

The combination of:

Rebel Officer Adar Talon: After you resolve a Squadron command, exhaust this card to toggle the activation slider of 1 squadron activated with that command. (10pts)

Yavaris Title for Nebulon B: Squadron Command Each squadron you activate can attack twice if it does not move. (5pts)

Lets the rebels use Bwing Character Keyan Farlander (bomber, 2 black anti ship dice and "While attacking a ship, if the defending hull zone has no shields, you may reroll any number of dice in your attack pool." (20pts)

To move 2 to an enemy ship, hit it with 2 black dice, set the activation slider back to unactivated, activate it again and attack twice more with 2 black dice each, with rerolls once he breaks shields.

In two squadron commands you put 6 black dice (with rerolls against shieldless) into any ship within 3 squadron move of him is brutal.

EDIT: If you can put him into an unshielded section of a Gladiator you've got a good chance of one shotting it. Yikes. Tie Fighter screens are going to become a lot more important.

Using this requires two ships, activating in a specific order, both of which are in range to activate Keyan - it's nice if it works, but its a pretty specific set of moves that would be easy to disrupt. I think the combo is much more useful for dogfighting because it lets engaged squadrons shoot twice, then shoot again in the squadron phase (especially nice on Wedge), and having engaged squadrons in command range of a Neb is a fairly common scenario. Honestly, Tallon is just really good in general regardless of what you're using him with because the rebels have such great squadrons.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

blackmongoose posted:

Using this requires two ships, activating in a specific order, both of which are in range to activate Keyan - it's nice if it works, but its a pretty specific set of moves that would be easy to disrupt. I think the combo is much more useful for dogfighting because it lets engaged squadrons shoot twice, then shoot again in the squadron phase (especially nice on Wedge), and having engaged squadrons in command range of a Neb is a fairly common scenario. Honestly, Tallon is just really good in general regardless of what you're using him with because the rebels have such great squadrons.

The beauty of Yavaris and Adar are that they also have that utility for your other ships throughout the rest of the battle. Holding Keyan behind your fleet in reserve for this once the battle is underway is pretty tempting as an ace in the hole to deliver a huge punch to anything that's lost its shields. Because the ships with Yavaris and Adar are probably going to be making squadron commands anyway.

2 black dice with a reroll have a 90+% chance of doing 2 or more damage.

EDIT: Once my stuff gets here I will trial it and report back.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I'm willing to admit I may have a problem.

Haven't gotten a chance to try the new toys yet, will report on how new fleets work out eventually.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
I'm trying to decide between Imperial Assault and Descent. Any advice or insight?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Descent has a lot more content, but it's strictly one vs many (or one vs one if the non-dm role is playing multiple characters). Imperial Assault has that mode as well as a skirmish mode, which is mission/scenario based 1v1 mode and offers a lot of replay-ability. IA is also a streamlined version of Descent 2.0, so it's basically Descent 2.5 with a Star Wars theme. I think it really comes down to which theme you prefer and if the skirmish mode is important to you.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Dulkor posted:

Haven't gotten a chance to try the new toys yet, will report on how new fleets work out eventually.

I don't see the problem here?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Corbeau posted:

I don't see the problem here?

There's only 1 fleet on that table. He's clearly missing the second fleet. :getin:

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

More that I could only get one Gladiator :v:

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Dulkor posted:

More that I could only get one Gladiator :v:
Two Gladiators per Victory. The Gladiators engage the enemy and the Victory jumps behind the enemy fleet and opens fire. Keep the Gladiators equipped with TIE/LNs and the Victory with Interceptors and Bombers.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Dulkor posted:

Huge problem. Not enough Gladiators.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
So, I'm looking over international shipping for wave 2(US->Sweden, to give you a picture of the prices we pay: the VSD is $44.41 at the very cheapest online store I can find in Sweden). So I've heard a lot about CSI and MM(MM seems to be the best one when you take shipping into account), are there any other cheap online retailers I should be aware of that you would recommend?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Devlan Mud posted:

FS:A is hot garbage. X-Wing is decent, but the dice are really swingy, and SW:A is amazing. I honestly don't see myself buying nearly as much X-Wing stuff anymore because I think Armada has much better mechanics and much more consistent dice.

FS:A v1 is hot garbage. I've heard good things about the second edition.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Zerf posted:

So, I'm looking over international shipping for wave 2(US->Sweden, to give you a picture of the prices we pay: the VSD is $44.41 at the very cheapest online store I can find in Sweden). So I've heard a lot about CSI and MM(MM seems to be the best one when you take shipping into account), are there any other cheap online retailers I should be aware of that you would recommend?

I don't think Armada has hit European shores yet. None of the UK webstores have it listed in stock yet so you are probably looking at prices to ship it to the US. I would hang fire until it is out in the UK before buying anything.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Zerf posted:

Alphaspel tends to have reasonable prices, I feel, although you often have to be very quick to order something since they don't keep much in stock. 300:- for the VSD when they get it.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Thirsty Dog posted:

FS:A v1 is hot garbage. I've heard good things about the second edition.

FS:A v2 is a lot of fun. Its very different t from Armada obviously. But both are different in good ways and a different experience all together.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

Phrosphor posted:

I don't think Armada has hit European shores yet. None of the UK webstores have it listed in stock yet so you are probably looking at prices to ship it to the US. I would hang fire until it is out in the UK before buying anything.
My local game store in Holland has had them in stock for about a month at this point.

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

Strobe posted:

If you're playing a game with figures on the table, it's tactics. List building is the equivalent to strategy here (which I suppose makes buying figures logistics. :D).
It's like a spectrum. Strategy is planning, tactics is execution.

X-Wing very heavily leans towards the tactics side, because you go in with a very rough strategy and make your decisions based on what is unfolding turn to turn.

Armada is more of a mix. There is definitely more planning ahead involved, though there is still plenty of tactical execution too. In a more abstract way, the state of the game does not change as rapidly or unpredictably from one turn to the next as it can in X-Wing.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

TheKingslayer posted:

FS:A v2 is a lot of fun. Its very different t from Armada obviously. But both are different in good ways and a different experience all together.

V2 fixed a lot of balance issues it seems like, but the gameplay itself just...I dunno, it's not very fun, everything feels very samey. All of Spartan's games are like that to me though, so it may be just my own taste.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Bad Decision Dino posted:

My local game store in Holland has had them in stock for about a month at this point.

I think he meant the wave 1 stuff? Unless he didn't, lol

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

The wave 1 stuff is also available from UK sites. Amazon, Firestorm, etc

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Well, bought the Armada starter set. Any thoughts on best next purchases? I'm definitely leaning Imperial.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

susan posted:

Well, bought the Armada starter set. Any thoughts on best next purchases? I'm definitely leaning Imperial.

Everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuSchnick
Jun 6, 2001

susan posted:

I feel like the fighter packs have the most "New gameplay possibilities for your dollar" going. But they are useless without some ships backing them up.