Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

VagueRant posted:

They stopped toeing the line of Abed's meta-ness when they had him turn to the camera and speak directly to the audience at the end of season 5. The flashback things were a little much in this, but they were also really repetitive and annoying and completely pointless.

I'm surprised the tags this season are so popular. They all feel like Family Guy cutaway gags and are weirdly dull. I remember when we had fun times with the study group, and clever, inventive Spanish raps instead of "it's like a parody of promo for a TV show but it's WACKY and ZANY because that's still funny the third time, right?"
What even was the intention of the incredibly dragged out scene where Keith David very slowly finds the nest of charging phones while being in ironic denial that the group could be that stupid? It went on for so long with its obvious conclusion and lack of a punchline.

You talk about them earning the story, here we've got an Almost-Bottle-Episode where the characters continue to act like terrible, unreasonable children and bicker for no good reason. You look back at Cooperative Caligraphy in season 2 and you can totally relate to the characters, they have sensible reasons to be angry with each other that all stem from their unique characterisation.

This season every time the group argue it's just noise.

I give you permission to stop watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

anatomi posted:

I laughed so hard at Future-Britta's weird arm pump.

That's Space Elder Britta to you. :colbert:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I truly hope this season ends on balls to the wall meta insanity because a) it would piss so many people off and b) I love that poo poo. I also have bad opinions because I thought Basic Story/Sandwich was hilarious.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

prefect posted:

Why is Abed irritating now, when he was great before? The obvious answer would be the loss of Troy, I think. Without somebody to be meta with, he ends up pushing his meta onto the whole group, and it doesn't work as well.

I think it's partially this, but also that they continually overwrite Abed's earlier character development. We've had several episodes where the gang deals with Abed's emotional insecurities and whatever else that drives his meta-weirdness. Those episodes had weight to them. Abed is now just being used as a plot device.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu

Last Chance posted:

Great episode, loved it. I'm glad we finally got a camping one... Sorta. It was nice having them out of the study room + Greendale, even if it was just in front of a green screen most of the time.

It was weird seeing green reflected on to the actors. I don't know much about TV production but it felt kinda amateurish.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Honestly if that whole episode was written just to give Greendale that statue I'm not really surprised.

Also that end tag was phenomenal, holy poo poo.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

VagueRant posted:

What even was the intention of the incredibly dragged out scene where Keith David very slowly finds the nest of charging phones while being in ironic denial that the group could be that stupid? It went on for so long with its obvious conclusion and lack of a punchline.
You know I don't want to talk about much because it's dumb for me to do so. That was a great gag. I like letting bits have room to breathe. The suitcase switch from the Sting episode is another great example. I enjoyed it. That's my time.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015
To further elongate the Meta-discussion: the idea of Abed trying to Christopher Nolan a normal story is great, especially given Dan's recent Interstellar rants, that's just not what happened. For me Meta moments can be great, but they're not great just because they're meta, you still need to write a joke or make a cogent point. The Abed storyline this week was painful because it was taking the Family Guy approach of mentioning things rather than making jokes about them, it was meta-reference humour. A Remedial Chaos Theory where Abed keeps flashing back and changing things to try and prevent the trip could have been a great episode as well. The actual episode that they made though, I don't know.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I didn't like the last episode because it made me dislike my home dawg Abed. :(I don't want to be frustrated at that dude.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Giggs posted:

It was weird seeing green reflected on to the actors. I don't know much about TV production but it felt kinda amateurish.

I know only little about TV production but there are filters you can just drag and drop onto a layer that should get rid of that automatically, especially when its so minor.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

They should remake the show as a sketch comedy

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

MrAristocrates posted:

I give you permission to stop watching.

This should be probatable. If a guy is just sharing his opinion and all you can offer in response is this petulant bullshit you're not adding to the conversation. What do you people what this thread to be, a chorus of "another great episode Dan?"

Anyway, what was Harmon thinking not structuring this as the final season? How deluded is he to think he'll ever get even this much of the cast together again if Yahoo's Original Content Folly continues next year? Maybe he could have gotten Donald Glover back if it was clear he was wrapping up the story.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Maybe the show is not funny to me anymore, idk it's weird. I'll rewatch a random episode from season 2 and then compare.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That episode was interesting/weird in a good way but it wasn't funny. I like Community when it's funny. The best season 1-3 episodes had a constant supply of amazing one-liners and asides. This episode I laughed out loud twice and mildly tittered a few other times and that was it.

I really am starting to dislike the extended episodes. This show used to be relentless with jokes and now large sections at a time feel turgid. I know there are many in this thread who are keeping the wool over their eyes claiming it's as good as ever and can't handle even the most minor amount of criticism without bursting into tears and/or demanding the person making the complaint stops watching the show, but.....come on, guys. I mean I don't hate the show now or anything but we're mostly grown-ups and I think we can all accept that these episodes are way less funny and tightly-plotted than ones in earlier seasons.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

midnightclimax posted:

Maybe the show is not funny to me anymore, idk it's weird. I'll rewatch a random episode from season 2 and then compare.

Every time I catch a random one I just miss Donald Glover.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

PostNouveau posted:

Every time I catch a random one I just miss Donald Glover.

His meltdowns were the funniest. So good.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wax Lion posted:

This should be probatable. If a guy is just sharing his opinion and all you can offer in response is this petulant bullshit you're not adding to the conversation. What do you people what this thread to be, a chorus of "another great episode Dan?"

Anyway, what was Harmon thinking not structuring this as the final season? How deluded is he to think he'll ever get even this much of the cast together again if Yahoo's Original Content Folly continues next year? Maybe he could have gotten Donald Glover back if it was clear he was wrapping up the story.

I release you from the shackles of having to read posts you don't like

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anzWEIoVzCE

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wax Lion posted:

He posts the same poo poo every loving week, dude.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can't speak for his previous posts, but except for the bit about the tags nothing about that one strikes me as especially egregious or anything other than perfectly acceptable criticisms of the show as it is right now.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
Is anyone annoyed by the lack of nudity on this show? I, for one, am not, as nudity was not a thing that was promised or even hinted at. Anyway, Community is all right I guess now, but I don't know if I'm enjoying it less because it's getting worse or because I'm more depressed than before.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I'm just glad Shirley is gone.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

XMNN posted:

I forgot Shirley was ever even part of the show until I read this post.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I love the show. I loved the episode. I Love the Dean. Community rules.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

GutBomb posted:

I Love the Dean.

Same.

XMNN posted:

:agreed:

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012

Genetic Toaster posted:

I forgot Shirley was ever even part of the show until I read this post.

She has three kids!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I will always remember her "He is Risen" apron with the breadstick cross

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

Brawnfire posted:

Ha that's also my favourite.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

That's me! ... Where'd I get all that money?

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
It's not like Abed's crazy has been getting more pronounced as the series progresses. Abed's Uncontrollable Christmas was all the way back in S2 and he literally experienced the world in stop motion animation. He's always been detached from reality in a heavy way. It just hadn't worn thin for a lot of people yet.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
And to be fair, it's not a Break from Reality when he's a TV character. Which is Harmon as hell.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Bown posted:

I can't speak for his previous posts, but except for the bit about the tags nothing about that one strikes me as especially egregious or anything other than perfectly acceptable criticisms of the show as it is right now.

No. You don't understand. That poster doesn't like what I like. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
The show is on the internet now and the show is different because of it. Different can sometimes be jarring and sometimes be welcomed, and for me it's about a wash.

Also it's near the end, and there's a creeping awareness of the end of the six seasons.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
I kept hoping that one of the times Abed tried to initiate a flashback he'd poo poo his pants instead. Then he might have had to deal with an actual problem for a minute. Otherwise, tolerable episode. It had a higher Dean quota than usual for this season, which always helps. As a metaphor for the show, I think what the RV that is Community was running low on was 'jokes.'

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

teamcharlie posted:

I kept hoping that one of the times Abed tried to initiate a flashback he'd poo poo his pants instead. Then he might have had to deal with an actual problem for a minute.

Troy had already taught him how to deal with that:

https://youtu.be/j1BJ_x7tg70

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Brawnfire posted:

The Lord . . . the Lord . . . the Loooooord!

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
That closing bit in this episode... just amazing. Totally unnecessary, it does nothing for (or against) the plot, it's like they went out of their way to extrapolate on the episode's MacGuffin...

... and dammit if it wasn't just about, if not the, best part of the episode.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tokelau All Star posted:

The Lord . . . the Lord . . . the Loooooord!

I made pizza! You didn't have some of the ingredients, so I used ketchup and cream cheese!!!

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Has Jeff called the Dean by his given name before this episode? It really seemed jarring when he did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Yes, he's been doing it for a while. Not exclusively, but he does sometimes call him Craig.

• Locked thread